Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,236 members, 7,780,462 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:53 PM

Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open (4289 Views)

Australian Open Men's Final: Why I Placed $500 On Andy Murray To Win / Tennis: Australian Open 2012 / Andy Murray To Meet Rafael Nadal In Japan Open Final (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open by straneur(m): 1:46pm On Jan 27, 2013
Djokovic defeated Andy Murray to defend his title.

Novak Djokovic wore down Andy Murray in a gruelling four-set final to clinch a hat-trick of Australian Open titles on Rod Laver Arena on Sunday.

The Serbian world number one lost the opening set in a tiebreaker but got progressively stronger to dominate the suffering Murray and win 6-7 (2/7), 7-6 (7/3), 6-3, 6-2 in 3hr 40min.

It was Djokovic's fourth Australian crown and his sixth Grand Slam title overall to confirm himself as the game's premier player.

Djokovic, 25, became the first man in the Open Era and the third man ever to win three consecutive Australian Open titles, joining Australians Jack Crawford (1931-33) and five-time winner Roy Emerson (1963-67).

Murray, the British world number three, began well but he battled a left hamstring injury and blistered feet as Djokovic stepped up, winning the important points and most of the lung-busting long rallies.

It was Djokovic's second win over Murray in a Grand Slam final after the 2011 Australian final, and ended the Scot's unbeaten 13-match run in the majors since his victory over the Serb in last September's US Open decider.

Djokovic confirmed his standing as the number one ranked player while Murray will remain in the third position behind Roger Federer.

It continued Djokovic's dominance on the Melbourne hardcourt surface and capped an impressive fortnight where he recovered from a draining five-setter over five hours with Stanislas Wawrinka in the fourth round to score emphatic wins over Tomas Berdych and David Ferrer to reach the final.

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/news/article/-/15964568/djokovic-wins-third-consecutive-australian-open/
Re: Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open by outrage: 2:12pm On Jan 27, 2013
Na so..
Where all thoes people shouting murry!? Oh I almost forgot, you guys are holding a cry session.. Hahaha!! Yeah babay!!
Re: Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open by Jerros213(m): 2:14pm On Jan 27, 2013
Just as expected...over-hyped Murray will crumble against ND
Re: Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open by tinkinjo: 2:20pm On Jan 27, 2013
...showed resolve! Kudos to him...misses Nadal though!
Re: Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open by Reference(m): 2:26pm On Jan 27, 2013
This is the prime rivalry of the next five years. They've both sent Fedex a clear message: No more vacancy on top.
Re: Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open by eedreez505: 2:26pm On Jan 27, 2013
ANDY MURRAY, BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME. ITS NOVAK 'THE DESTROYER'S TURN THIS TIME AROUND.
Re: Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jan 27, 2013
Murray was obviously tired coming from a 5 set semi-final match with Roger Federer.
Re: Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open by Stegomiah: 2:43pm On Jan 27, 2013
Serves him better, buh murray IS̶̲̥̅ a fighter aΩ̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ I admire his courage, I almost cried wen he defeated federer in d semifinal especially wit d way fedex almost turned d game around afta his comeback in d 4th set, buh he eventually lost. I tink its time for fedex 2 call Ȋ̝̊̅̄†̥ quit. Dis guys ar no match up 4 im again, age IS̶̲̥̅ naw telling, he has d xperience buh d physical aspect of his game aπϑ his backhand IS̶̲̥̅ letting im down. Still d best dough, aπϑ I op he adds 3 more grandslam 2 his current 17 cos nadal @ 11 slams can still catch up. 4 naw djokovic rules
Re: Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open by outrage: 2:45pm On Jan 27, 2013
^^
Listen to this one! That was the only 5 set match he played. And that's becauce roger was the only top player he met on his way to the final. Nokack played like 3 coming to the finals!
Re: Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open by VirginFinder: 2:55pm On Jan 27, 2013
3 gbosas to Djokovic.

He is my man anytime anyday at least until he stops reigning/playing.

I'm happy for him.
Re: Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open by Maxymilliano(m): 3:00pm On Jan 27, 2013
First man in 46 years to win for three years running in Melbourne... Not a mean feat.

Congratulations!
Re: Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open by kheart(m): 3:08pm On Jan 27, 2013
Federer ll ve done better dan murray base on head to head.
Re: Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open by metti(m): 3:16pm On Jan 27, 2013
grin ;Dquote author=Virgin Finder]3 gbosas to Djokovic.

He is my man anytime anyday at least until he stops reigning/playing.

I'm happy for him.[/quote]
Kudos to Djokovic. But Nadal will be back, take note!
Re: Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open by metti(m): 3:17pm On Jan 27, 2013
Nadal will be back!!!!!!
Re: Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open by jiraiyas: 3:19pm On Jan 27, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Murray was obviously tired coming from a 5 set semi-final match with Roger Federer.
I dont agree ,Novak had a 5 set game with Waranka in quaters ,Ħ☺w did he retaliate in the semis ?he outplayed Ferrer(world number 5 now 4) in 3 set (6-3 6-2 6-2). S̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡ that's № excuse .
Just watch andys face after losing 2nd set ,he knew all ȋ̝̊̅​ƨ lost ,nd go back nd watch ȋ̝̊̅​ƨ zeal coming into d 2nd setafter wining t̶̲̥̅̊ђε 1st mtcheeew childsplay
Re: Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open by jiraiyas: 3:21pm On Jan 27, 2013
kheart: Federer ll ve done better dan murray base on head to head.
No doubt about that but still not in Ausie ,dats like Novak best court slam man,out of his 6 slam title ,4 r frm Ausie remember .
Re: Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open by straneur(m): 3:29pm On Jan 27, 2013
jiraiyas:
I dont agree ,Novak had a 5 set game with Waranka in quaters ,Ħ☺w did he retaliate in the semis ?he outplayed Ferrer(world number 5 now 4) in 3 set (6-3 6-2 6-2). S̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡ that's № excuse .
Just watch andys face after losing 2nd set ,he knew all ȋ̝̊̅​ƨ lost ,nd go back nd watch ȋ̝̊̅​ƨ zeal coming into d 2nd setafter wining t̶̲̥̅̊ђε 1st mtcheeew childsplay

So are you trying to compare Ferrer and Federer, Murray played Federer and had just a day rest before facing world NO 1. He dropped just two sets before the final and it was against Federer. He was tired and psychologically out played, check the number of unforced errors today and you will understand better. Djokovic was a better player today no doubt but he had advantage.
Re: Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open by straneur(m): 3:40pm On Jan 27, 2013
kheart: Federer ll ve done better dan murray base on head to head.

Forget head to head, Federer can not match this guyz anymore. He struggled throughout the tournament, check his game against Tsonga. Djokovic won but it was a great match.
Re: Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jan 27, 2013
The truth of the matter is that right from the outset, Djokovic had a much favourable draw. He didn't have to play either Federer or Murray until the final day. In other words, Djokovic played only one final match, unlike Federer and Murray who had to play a final before the final (tough semi-final match), and then the final match.

I saw this coming when I heard about the draw. Djokovic was the most lucky among the 3 top players.

In tennis the difference between the top players is marginal and any slight advantage may be difference between victory and loss
Re: Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open by Sexkillzdick: 4:13pm On Jan 27, 2013
tennis is d best sport in d world... football would hav been d best if not for d errors and manipulations dat is involved.
in d game of tennis therez little or no errors as d umpire can be called to a replay and dats all, the point would be cancelled when already awarded.
Murray is good and very soon he would take over number two but Djokovic will still dominate for a while.
Welcome to the era of Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray....
Re: Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open by sylva1(m): 4:24pm On Jan 27, 2013
That reminds me, where is Rafael Nadal, is he injured or what..? I have not been hearing of him of late.
Re: Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open by Reference(m): 4:33pm On Jan 27, 2013
sylva#:
That reminds me, where is Rafael Nadal, is he injured or what..? I have not been hearing of him of late.

His knees gave way after the French Open last year. Couldn't defend his Olympic gold, hasn't player competitively ever since. Was prepped to play down under but took ill in the run up.

Me thinks his power game takes just too much off him. Hope he can remain healthy for a few more years though.
Re: Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open by Napolitano(m): 4:35pm On Jan 27, 2013
Re: Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open by jiraiyas: 4:36pm On Jan 27, 2013
straneur:

So are you trying to compare Ferrer and Federer, Murray played Federer and had just a day rest before facing world NO 1. He dropped just two sets before the final and it was against Federer. He was tired and psychologically out played, check the number of unforced errors today and you will understand better. Djokovic was a better player today no doubt but he had advantage.
I guess I should correct ,andy had 44 hrs †☺ rest as if that couint ,last Ausie were Djokovic played Nadal in finals what happened ,he played a 4 set muray nd jst had 31 hrs rest still he played Nadal ƒσя roughly 6hrs nd still won.
Re: Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open by jiraiyas: 4:39pm On Jan 27, 2013
straneur:

Forget head to head, Federer can not match this guyz anymore. He struggled throughout the tournament, check his game against Tsonga. Djokovic won but it was a great match.
Tsonga as always been tough on federer ,the truth remains every tennis player would prefer playing Andy †☺ a calm ,unswerv Federer
Re: Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open by jiraiyas: 4:40pm On Jan 27, 2013
Sexkillzdick: tennis is d best sport in d world... football would hav been d best if not for d errors and manipulations dat is involved.
in d game of tennis therez little or no errors as d umpire can be called to a replay and dats all, the point would be cancelled when already awarded.
Murray is good and very soon he would take over number two but Djokovic will still dominate for a while.
Welcome to the era of Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray....
Football can't come close maybe top 5 ,but as far there Tennis and BB forget football
Re: Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open by jiraiyas: 4:44pm On Jan 27, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: The truth of the matter is that right from the outset, Djokovic had a much favourable draw. He didn't have to play either Federer or Murray until the final day. In other words, Djokovic played only one final match, unlike Federer and Murray who had to play a final before the final (tough semi-final match), and then the final match.

I saw this coming when I heard about the draw. Djokovic was the most lucky among the 3 top players.

In tennis the difference between the top players is marginal and any slight advantage may be difference between victory and loss
I dont agree @ all if so are you saying Ferer now world number 4 is a work over? Let's just say Andy have bEen the most lucky and Federer was most unlucky
Re: Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open by jiraiyas: 4:50pm On Jan 27, 2013
You guys should go ask the king of Clay Nadal Ħ☺w beasty Novak is ,this is just one guy that dont only just give up but when he gets is momentum up is acceleration becomes incredible nd huge as he goes .
Remember he outplayed Nadal last Ausie finals from 2sets down ,and Nadal said going †☺ get his medal "Djokovic is a beast" that's a beast on his own calling another a beast ,can you beat that
Re: Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open by metti(m): 5:01pm On Jan 27, 2013
jiraiyas: You guys should go ask the king of Clay Nadal Ħ☺w beasty Novak is ,this is just one guy that dont only just give up but when he gets is momentum up is acceleration becomes incredible nd huge as he goes .
Remember he outplayed Nadal last Ausie finals from 2sets down ,and Nadal said going †☺ get his medal "Djokovic is a beast" that's a beast on his own calling another a beast ,can you beat that
Novak wasn't two sets down against Nadal at last year's Aussie final. He was two sets down against Roger in the semi final before recovering to take the last three sets due mainly to numerous un forced errors from Roger. In the final against Nadal, Nadal won first set Novak second and third, Nadal won the fourth set while Novak won the decider. Take note.
Re: Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open by jiraiyas: 5:08pm On Jan 27, 2013
metti:
Novak wasn't two sets down against Nadal at last year's Aussie final. He was two sets down against Roger in the semi final before recovering to take the last three sets due mainly to numerous un forced errors from Roger. In the final against Nadal, Nadal won first set Novak second and third, Nadal won the fourth set while Novak won the decider. Take note.
Metti check back please .
Novak was 2 set down †☺ Nadal last year and even was 3-0 down in d third before t̶̲̥̅̊ђε starts ,and they had †☺ end t̶̲̥̅̊ђε final t̶̲̥̅̊ђε monday of it ,which was t̶̲̥̅̊ђε 1st time in Ausie final
Re: Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open by metti(m): 5:41pm On Jan 27, 2013
jiraiyas:
Metti check back please .
Novak was 2 set down †☺ Nadal last year and even was 3-0 down in d third before t̶̲̥̅̊ђε starts ,and they had †☺ end t̶̲̥̅̊ђε final t̶̲̥̅̊ђε monday of it ,which was t̶̲̥̅̊ђε 1st time in Ausie final
I will cross check. Thanks.
Re: Djokovic Beats Murray To Win Australian Open by jiraiyas: 6:00pm On Jan 27, 2013
metti:
I will cross check. Thanks.
No p frnd ,is not like I hate Andy !No far frm it jst that is a guy with so much hype because is a scot so briton

(1) (2) (Reply)

Follow Me For Daily Free Odds... No Scam All Free / FIFA Unveils Shortlist Of 23 Candidates For This Year's Ballon D'or / Spanish La Liga Table Without Messi And Ronaldo's Goals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.