Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,239 members, 7,807,807 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:37 PM

Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off (11999 Views)

Over 120 Escape Death As Aero Aircraft Develops Fault Mid-air / Another Plane Crash Averted In Abuja / Pictures Of Dana Air Crash Victims (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by bedane: 8:52pm On Jan 27, 2013
What would have been another air disaster was on Sunday, averted by whiskers as an Abuja-bound aircraft made a dramatic return to Lagos when one of its engines developed a mechanical fault mid-air.

On board the aircraft which belongs to Med-View Airline were 73 passengers including Mr. Donald Ojogo, the newly appointed Politics Editor, Abuja, of the Independent Newspapers Limited, publishers of Daily Independent, Saturday Independent and Sunday Independent.

The Lagos-Abuja bound flight, VL2104, scheduled for 12 noon on Sunday had taken off at exactly 12.15 pm, 15 minutes behind schedule.

But at exactly 12.30, about five minutes after the seat belt signs were put off, there was a loud bang at the engine side of the aircraft forcing it to drop in altitude even as it became unstable, swerving slowly and steadily in left and right directions for about two minutes.

The development elicited instant prayers, wailings and cries from the passengers, most of whom were women with the silence of the Aircraft Crew, especially the Pilot, further heightening tension in the plane.

http://dailypost.com.ng/2013/01/27/74-passengers-escape-air-crash-after-abuja-bound-plane-develops-fault-15-minutes-after-take-off/
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by obi4eze(m): 8:55pm On Jan 27, 2013
Thank God O! But seriously, something drastic should be done about this issue.
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by koruji(m): 9:04pm On Jan 27, 2013
Sounds like they collided with something - perhaps a bird strike?
Or is someone trying to shoot an aircraft down in Nigeria? - Sounds like it was already at a high altitude for that to be the case.

2 Likes

Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jan 27, 2013
koruji: Sounds like they collided with something - perhaps a bird strike?
Or is someone trying to shoot an aircraft down in Nigeria? - Sounds like it was already at a high altitude for that to be the case.
I think Mr President should be blamed. grin just kidding anyway. Thank God no life was lost.

1 Like

Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by Maxymilliano(m): 9:17pm On Jan 27, 2013

More like a bird strike or stormy weather... There was a sorta turbulence earlier on same airspace, glad there was no eventuality.
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by Super1759: 9:27pm On Jan 27, 2013
this makes boarding planes more scary . Hmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by bedane: 11:39pm On Jan 27, 2013
Something has to be done about the state of our aviation sector. Enough is enough.
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by manny4life(m): 12:00am On Jan 28, 2013

Bird strike ke? At how many feet? You're right for that to be the case.

They said 1) after seat belts signs were off, 2) 5mins after departure, which means the airplane has retracted landing gear, already started climbing. A passenger airplane climbs at 1800ft per min after rotate putting the aircraft above the altitude where birds fly.

Based on what they testified, that isn't a bird strike - that's more than a bird strike.

IMO, this obviously was an engine failure.

1 Like

Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by idupaul: 12:49am On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life:

Bird strike ke? At how many feet? You're right for that to be the case.

They said 1) after seat belts signs were off, 2) 5mins after departure, which means the airplane has retracted landing gear, already started climbing. A passenger airplane climbs at 1800ft per min after rotate putting the aircraft above the altitude where birds fly.

Based on what they testified, that isn't a bird strike - that's more than a bird strike.

IMO, this obviously was an engine failure.

I know this was no bird strike but bird strikes have been recorded to occur even at 29000 ft .. Hope U know geese and condors are known to hit aircrafts at altitudes above 25k ft
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by manny4life(m): 1:05am On Jan 28, 2013
idupaul:

I know this was no bird strike but bird strikes have been recorded to occur even at 29000 ft .. Hope U know geese and condors are known to hit aircrafts at altitudes above 25k ft

At 25,000 ft? I've never heard of such. Are these birds using same respiratory system like humans (use of oxygen to breathe)? If they need oxygen to breathe, now unless they're configured differently, I'm not saying it's untrue, but not possible. There's a reason why the cabin is pressurized with oxygen past 10k ft.
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by Jakumo(m): 6:31am On Jan 28, 2013
The pilot did a marvellous job of stabilizing the aircraft after engine failure. His hands were full, in dealing with that emergency, so he could not be expected to deliver a running commentary to the passengers while he battled to circle the crippled bird back to the airport.

3 Likes

Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by Nobody: 11:52am On Jan 28, 2013
OMG
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by moneyhungry(m): 11:56am On Jan 28, 2013
pls like My comment in order to encourage me.... it is my first time to comment. thanks

23 Likes

Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by Nobody: 11:57am On Jan 28, 2013
Professionalism at it best, its safety first thumbs up to the pilots and cabin crew.

1 Like

Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by bunchyproject(m): 11:58am On Jan 28, 2013
God Is Good!

2 Likes

Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by Nobody: 11:58am On Jan 28, 2013
Thank God!

1 Like

Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by vanstanzy(m): 11:58am On Jan 28, 2013
Thank God o, *Sigh of relief!*

Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by Sagamite(m): 11:58am On Jan 28, 2013
Let fucktards continue praying for their leaders!

Cretins!
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by bunchyproject(m): 11:59am On Jan 28, 2013
money-hungry :
pls like My comment in order to encourage me.... it is my first time to comment. thanks
. I jus did
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jan 28, 2013
I would stop boarding planes. grin
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by israel007: 12:03pm On Jan 28, 2013
money-hungry :

then say something likable
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by funshybam(m): 12:04pm On Jan 28, 2013
once again, let's blame Jonathan.
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by LagosBoi2(m): 12:07pm On Jan 28, 2013
funshybam: once again, let's blame Jonathan.

na him badluck wan bring the plane down....abi??
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jan 28, 2013
Chai! Many must have made various promises to God in exchange for them to live, in the heat of the situation. I hope they fulfil their vows since they all lived

2 Likes

Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by AbdulAdam56(m): 12:10pm On Jan 28, 2013
Thank God
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by mars123(m): 12:12pm On Jan 28, 2013
Thank GOD for their lives.
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by Enetim(m): 12:17pm On Jan 28, 2013
funshybam: once again, let's blame Jonathan.
na him pilot d plane,y blame him,z he a mechanic
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by vizion: 12:27pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life:

At 25,000 ft? I've never heard of such. Are these birds using same respiratory system like humans (use of oxygen to breathe)? If they need oxygen to breathe, now unless they're configured differently, I'm not saying it's untrue, but not possible. There's a reason why the cabin is pressurized with oxygen past 10k ft.

see below

"The altitude record is held by a Rüppell's griffon Gyps rueppelli, a vulture with a 10-foot wingspan. On November 29, 1975 one was sucked into a jet engine 37,900 feet above the Ivory Coast in West Africa. The plane was damaged but landed safely. What the bird was doing up so high I have no idea, since this species is not migratory.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081022121055AAqaePr
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by Reference(m): 12:50pm On Jan 28, 2013

For the fasten seat belt sign to be turned off they will be well into the initial ascent probably beyond FL15. I can't imagine a strike in that zone. However, thank God for autopilot. Losing one of two engines while climbing at full power is almost irrecoverable.
And only if the passengers know how close they came to peril this talk of not telling them what is happening will not arise.

The pilot is not obliged to speak to the cabin unless he fully comprehends what the situation is and has escaped imminent distress.

3 Likes

Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by informatix: 12:53pm On Jan 28, 2013
Air. Vice Marshal kuruji continue your Analysis. grin grin grin na only for Nigeria any Garri drinker na pilot and coach..
Re: Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off by ichidodo: 12:59pm On Jan 28, 2013
Harmattan-strickened engine blow-out. Thank GOD for journey mercies.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Labor Day: US Embassy To Close Abuja, Lagos Offices On Monday / How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora / 53 Traders Dead After Boat Mishap In Kebbi State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.