Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,621 members, 7,801,800 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:16 PM

UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News (14909 Views)

We Pay Between 300 - 500 Naira To Enter Nigeria – Illegal Immigrants (Pictured) / 10 Things UK Illegal Immigrants Cannot Do - Is UK That Worth It Anymore? / UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News by dotcomnamename: 6:17am On Jan 28, 2013
Thousands of illegal immigrants could be granted an amnesty to stay in the UK to clear a massive backlog of cases, MPs fear.

The number of outstanding immigration and asylum cases rose by 25,000 in three months and is "spiralling out of control".

The Border Agency (UKBA) caseload is now equivalent to the population of Iceland, said Keith Vaz, chairman of the Commons Home Affairs Committee.

More than 300,000 cases needed to be dealt with at the end of June, up 9% over the previous three months, a committee report indicated.

The Border Agency had 302,064 cases to investigate, trace or conclude by the end of June - more than 25,000 compared with the end of March, figures showed.

Most of the increase came from a rise of more than 24,000 missing migrants denied permission to stay in the UK but whose whereabouts are unknown.

The outstanding cases also included 95,000 in the so-called controlled archives.

Immigration minister Mark Harper agrees the report 'raises concerns'
These are effectively the backlog of immigration and asylum cases, which the UKBA has pledged to close by the end of the year.

But to do this it will have to assess all these cases in three months when only 29,000 were removed from the archive in a year, the report said.

"We are concerned that the closure of the controlled archives may result in a significant number of people being granted effective amnesty in the United Kingdom, irrespective of the merits of their case," the MPs said.

While many of the people in the backlog of cases will have already left the country, "we are not convinced that the agency's limited checking regime will have picked up all of the applicants who remain in the country", the MPs went on.

"For this reason we are concerned that the final checks made on these cases should be thorough and that they should not be rushed to meet an artificial deadline."

The report also questioned the consequences for both the individual and the taxpayer if applicants whose cases are closed are then found in the UK.

Mr Vaz added: "There are now about the same number of cases awaiting resolution by UKBA as there are people living in Iceland. The backlog is spiralling out of control."

Immigration Minister Mark Harper said: "This report raises some legitimate concerns but we are taking robust action and it is working."

http://news.sky.com/story/1009094/immigration-cases-spiral-out-of-control
Re: UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News by dewblue81: 3:45pm On Jan 28, 2013
na wa ooooooooooo grin
Re: UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News by hrmkz: 3:46pm On Jan 28, 2013
Am an illegal immigrant to be oooo.

please reserve my amnesty ooooo.

1 Like

Re: UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News by gramci: 3:47pm On Jan 28, 2013
Good, at least there won't be need for more Nigerians to commit suicide.
Re: UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News by OmerianConsult: 3:47pm On Jan 28, 2013
Good news for some people
Re: UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News by Freiburger(m): 3:48pm On Jan 28, 2013
It's like sending a signal saying, come to the UK, try to live there illegally and at a certain time you will be granted amnesty to remain. How rediculous.

2 Likes

Re: UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News by Kcxee(m): 3:48pm On Jan 28, 2013
U can say that again o @ above poster/commenter sorry bad english just passing-by....lol
Re: UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News by Symphony007: 3:49pm On Jan 28, 2013
At the same time the u.k government is launching advertisement in local stations of most migrant nations. Telling intending immigrants that there is nothing to enjoy in the u.k so don't come.cheesycheesy
Re: UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News by Naijapikin1: 3:49pm On Jan 28, 2013
How many of them are nigerians?.... So its becoming increasingly expensive to deport or maintain these “illegalese“ let them deal wit jare,afta all dia tax is high enuff to do it.
Re: UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News by Freiburger(m): 3:49pm On Jan 28, 2013
Kcxee: U can say that again o @ above poster/commenter sorry bad english just passing-by....lol
cheesy cheesy @ Mr error free G.
Re: UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News by ibide(m): 3:49pm On Jan 28, 2013
May be i should join them now so that they can give all of us amnsty
Re: UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News by fittty(m): 3:57pm On Jan 28, 2013
Sigh of relieve to lots of nairalanders who claim to be legal in the uk... See as users dey veiw the topic over and over again..... ***Smdh***

1 Like

Re: UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News by princeonx: 3:58pm On Jan 28, 2013
Freiburger: It's like sending a signal saying, come to the UK, try to live there illegally and at a certain time you will be granted amnesty to remain. How rediculous.
People will always migrate legally or otherwise, signal or no signal. Granting all those 300+ thousand people legal stay or denying it will not stop migrants from still going to UK. Life as an illegal immigrant is 110times better for some and their family than even their own country

2 Likes

Re: UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News by Symphony007: 4:09pm On Jan 28, 2013
Looking critically i don't see this working. It must be an idea being thrown around by back bench tory mp's. David cameron will never do anything that will make his loose tory voters to ukip. Ukip is promising a total freeze on immigration, both legal and illegal and it's really resonating among tories. If david cameron does this, he has thrown away the 2014 general elections.

1 Like

Re: UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News by Mavrick2012: 4:13pm On Jan 28, 2013
UK build heaven-on-earth and expect no illegal immigratn palaver?see nigeria,we no kukuma get immigratn problem.our immigratn guys are one of d most stresles in d world.naija i hail
Re: UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jan 28, 2013
[size=18pt]Coogar,Idowuogbo and the rest of them can start coming out of hiding
Baba God is about to set them free [/size]

2 Likes

Re: UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News by coogar: 4:56pm On Jan 28, 2013
babyosisi: [size=15pt]Coogar,Idowuogbo and the rest of them can start coming out of hiding
Baba God is about to set them free [/size]

yeye woman!
i got my red passport before you popped your first pimple way back when you used to sell roasted corn in nnewi!

the amnesty would be for asylum seekers who have had their cases for up to 4-7 yrs at the home office without a decision. how many nigerians would benefit from this one? very few. this is majorly for the citizens of war-torn countries!

Symphony007: Looking critically i don't see this working. It must be an idea being thrown around by back bench tory mp's. David cameron will never do anything that will make his loose tory voters to ukip. Ukip is promising a total freeze on immigration, both legal and illegal and it's really resonating among tories. If david cameron does this, he has thrown away the 2014 general elections.

it's not a question of working or not working.
uk border force are stretched beyond limits with the staggering number of unsolved cases in their archives. they want to clear up that archive and that means applicants who meet their criteria would be granted an automatic amnesty! they cannot continue to keep files of documents for so long without dealing with it.
Re: UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jan 28, 2013
guess what its a fluke! once u all come out of hiding expecting amnesty you will be handcuffed and sent back to Nigeria ,..welcome to HELL grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News by coogar: 5:05pm On Jan 28, 2013
lestat: guess what its a fluke! once u all come out of hiding expecting amnesty you will be handcuffed and sent back to Nigeria ,..welcome to HELL grin grin grin

such can only happen in a lawless country like nigeria or america!
you can't just bang up illegal immigrants by deceit - do you know how much it would even cost them to detain 300,000 people? their economy would collapse. it costs the british government £110 to keep a prisoner overnight!

1 Like

Re: UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News by Akiika: 5:12pm On Jan 28, 2013
coogar:

you can't just bang up illegal immigrants by deceit - do you know how much it would even cost them to detain 300,000 people? their economy would collapse. it costs the british government £110 to keep a prisoner overnight!

So America don dey lawless now, abi? tell me its the auto complete on your phone/computer that typed "America", you no mean am.
Re: UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News by coogar: 5:22pm On Jan 28, 2013
Akiika:

So America don dey lawless now, abi? tell me its the auto complete on your phone/computer that typed "America", you no mean am.

any country that still practises the death penalty in the 21st century is lawless. i didn't make a mistake - america is a swamp of piss!
Re: UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News by leonshom(m): 5:23pm On Jan 28, 2013
It happens in different countries as well, if d immigration services notice a continuous failure in a particular system, dey wuld adopt anoda method dat culd work. Wats d essence of bein an illegal immigrant in a country and uve bin livin ther for 10yrs or more,&d immigration couldnget u, its better 4dem 2 grant u a stay,work their and th'l collect tax 4rm yu! So,I guez its a gud development 4rm d govt !
Freiburger: It's like sending a signal saying, come to the UK, try to live there illegally and at a certain time you will be granted amnesty to remain. How rediculous.
Re: UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News by dulphines: 5:30pm On Jan 28, 2013
hrmkz: Am an illegal immigrant to be oooo.

please reserve my amnesty ooooo.
No go oh, hunger dey UK. Don't mind those fake looks of our brothers on facebook. Oyi(cold) plus hunger go hammer u.
Re: UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News by warrior101: 5:57pm On Jan 28, 2013
coogar:

My ex Aussie GF once told me that it's cheaper to send "them" home than to keep them in. Deal with that Mr. Mz Coogar cool

Added: Oh yeah! I get your idea now. It's a two way thing. While they will grant some amnesty, many will be sent back home just like the other guy presumed....
Re: UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jan 28, 2013
coogar:

yeye woman!
i got my red passport before you popped your first pimple way back when you used to sell roasted corn in nnewi!

the amnesty would be for asylum seekers who have had their cases for up to 4-7 yrs at the home office without a decision. how many nigerians would benefit from this one? very few. this is majorly for the citizens of war-torn countries!

it's not a question of working or not working.
uk border force are stretched beyond limits with the staggering number of unsolved cases in their archives. they want to clear up that archive and that means applicants who meet their criteria would be granted an automatic amnesty! they cannot continue to keep files of documents for so long without dealing with it.
[size=18pt]
ROFL[/size]
Re: UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News by coogar: 6:47pm On Jan 28, 2013
warrior101:

My ex Aussie GF once told me that it's cheaper to send "them" home than to keep them in. Deal with that Mr. Mz Coogar cool

Added: Oh yeah! I get your idea now. It's a two way thing. While they will grant some amnesty, many will be sent back home just like the other guy presumed....

it's not easy to send them home - how do you think they got to this point if it's easy? your ex-aussie girlfriend is telling porkies. there are thousands of cases in immigration courts yet to be sorted. there are appeals after appeals involved.....the home office have even lost the documents of many applicants including their passports so where do you send them too? mars? there was a time the home office were giving illegals who are willing to go home debit cards ranging from £500 - £3000 so they can start a business when they get back to naija. if it's easy to just put them on the plane, you think they would offer cash incentives?
Re: UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jan 28, 2013
coogar:

You better clean America name comot for that thing you type.America lawless?Its like saying T A Orji is like Mandela according to that commissioner.
Re: UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News by warrior101: 6:59pm On Jan 28, 2013
coogar:

it's not easy to send them home - how do you think they got to this point if it's easy? your ex-aussie girlfriend is telling porkies. there are thousands of cases in immigration courts yet to be sorted. there are appeals after appeals involved.....the home office have even lost the documents of many applicants including their passports so where do you send them too? mars? there was a time the home office were giving illegals who are willing to go home debit cards ranging from £500 - £3000 so they can start a business when they get back to naija. if it's easy to just put them on the plane, you think they would offer cash incentives?

It's good to know enough but never assume you know it all. Also, i think we have a misunderstanding here coogar. You are the one who mentioned how much it costs the UK Govo to keep those alien and i and saying that it is actually cheaper to send them home than to keep them and be feeding them with that amount for years. Isn't that logical enough? For your information, She (Aussie) is a boarder security personnel... She said that when one of my friend was depoted from Manchester last last two years...

1 Like

Re: UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News by coogar: 7:00pm On Jan 28, 2013
chingyjant:
You better clean America name comot for that thing you type.America lawless?Its like saying T A Orji is like Mandela according to that commissioner.

america is a lawless country - arghhhhhhh, how many children have died in the last 5 yrs with kids taking assault rifles to school to maim? where else does this happen in the developed world?

http://news.yahoo.com/chicago-woman-loses-4th-child-gun-violence-050937554.html

read that story and tell me america is not a 3rd world country.
how can a woman lose all her 4 children to gun violence at different times. this will not happen in nigeria, iraq or libya. she lost her only surviving child few days ago - the other 3 were also killed via a senseless gun violence. na country be this?
Re: UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News by UNLEASHED(m): 7:27pm On Jan 28, 2013
They're left with little or no option as far as illegal immigrants are concerned, the UKBA is at the moment nothing but shambles. They need help in terms of funds and staffs.
Re: UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News by coogar: 7:29pm On Jan 28, 2013
UNLEASHED: They're left with little or no option as far as illegal immigrants are concerned, the UKBA is at the moment nothing but shambles. They need help in terms of funds and staffs.

which they are not going to get cos david cameron cut their yearly allocation. their staff also got cut off. this led to a massive backlog of applications that are yet to be treated. they have no choice than to grant the amnesty but they won't call it amnesty - trust the brits to call it something else!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cruise Ship Out Of Control Ploughs Into Tourist Boat In Venice / The Lagos City Mall At Onikan / Have you Ever Missed Your Flight Due To Lagos Traffic? Share Your Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.