Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,913 members, 7,799,071 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 02:49 PM

$67 Billion Controversy : Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / $67 Billion Controversy : Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate (911 Views)

Apapa Blasts: Lagos Issues First-line Order To Public Schools / OBJ's Letter: Al-Mustapha Challenges Obasanjo To Public Debate Over Allegations / $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

$67 Billion Controversy : Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by talktimi(m): 9:46am On Jan 28, 2013
Former Minister of Education, Dr. Obiageli Ezekwesili has challenged officials of the Federal Government to a public debate following the government’s rebuttal to her comments alleging that the governments of Presidents Umaru Musa Yar’Adua and Goodluck Jonathan, squandered $67 billion (about N10.6trn) in foreign reserves.

Minister of Information, Mr Labaran Maku who addressed a press conference in Abuja on Sunday described Ezekwesili’s allegation as “outlandish and clearly fictitious.”

Maku also said the damning verdict passed on the education sector by Mrs Ezekwesili was a self-indictment, as she presided over the sector for 10 months without making any positive impact on it.

Countering Maku, the former minister, Mrs Ezekwesili said, “I Challenge them to a public debate of facts regarding 2007 Excess Crude Account (ECA) and foreign reserve and last five and half years oil revenue”.

Also writing on twitter on Sunday in messages prefaced with the declaration, “Nothing but Accountability”, Ezekwesili said: “In 2007, the incoming Administration was handed $45Billion in Foreign Reserve plus $22Billion. Nothing but aaccountability: Let Mr. Maku go further. As a citizen all I want to know is the Mathematics of the ECA and the Foreign Reserve. Nothing but accountability: I demanded accountability and that’s all a citizen asks of government. I will not stop asking for accountability”.

If the allegations by Mrs Oby Ezekwesili are true, then what did the administrations of late president Yar'Adua & Goodluck Jonathan do with the $67 billion ? This is a huge amount of money that could have gone a long way if invested in the electricity sector for example or the transport sector and if the Information minister Mr Labaran Maku feels she is lying, then the honorable thing for him to do is accept her challenge to a public debate with his facts and figures to defend his principal Mr Goodluck Jonathan.
I believe we as a people should hold our political leaders right from the wards, local govt, state, state houses of assembly, national assembly and presidency accountable for all actions taken especially in respect to finances, governance and development. What say you all ?
Re: $67 Billion Controversy : Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by Boss13: 9:56am On Jan 28, 2013
Please oh nothing but accountability and transparency. I support oby's move. A public debate is required. Maku can you defend your boss? Jonathan is a hypocrite in trying to deceive us about fighting corruption. We need accountability. We need to also know why some government projects are taking a while before being implemented.
Re: $67 Billion Controversy : Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by Oahray: 10:00am On Jan 28, 2013
Oya na. Let the debate begin! grin
Re: $67 Billion Controversy : Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by talktimi(m): 10:07am On Jan 28, 2013
I don't believe insults and name calling by both parties should be made on pages of newspapers, they should both come out with facts of their allegations, what she achieved while serving as minister of education & where our $67 billion went to, I call it "OUR" because WE are the ones who pay tax on the cups of garri and rice etc we buy at the markets while those in power have everything given to them for free from toothpicks to underwears. I say it once again, we should hold ALL our public officers accountable NOW because people are suffering out there, there's no single social security in this country making us living corpses now.
Re: $67 Billion Controversy : Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by PointB: 10:22am On Jan 28, 2013
This Niger Delta oil money that Nigerians are united in stealing will cause katakata to burst in this country sooner than later.

Abeg make I pick ringside seat to watch this drama unfold. If only part of that money (whether 40B or 60 B) was spent to construct 2nd Niger bridge, complete Onitsha port, and Enugu International Airport, and power project, my leaning would be clearer.

Ngbanu Round 2 - Fight!

1 Like

Re: $67 Billion Controversy : Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by OneNaira6: 10:29am On Jan 28, 2013
PointB: This Niger Delta oil money that Nigerians are united in stealing will cause katakata to burst in this country sooner than later.

Abeg make I pick ringside seat to watch this drama unfold. If only part of that money (whether 40B or 60 B) was spent to construct 2nd Niger bridge, complete Onitsha port, and Enugu International Airport, and power project, my leaning would be clearer.

Ngbanu Round 2 - Fight!

You can say that again. Oil would be Nigeria's biggest downfall even BH can not do the damage oil will.

Anyway, me self, I want to see the debate. If FG does accept Ezekwesili request, someone biko tape it and post on youtube, wake me up that morning or night make I see am. The controversy sounds interesting, I wonder whose telling the truth.
Re: $67 Billion Controversy : Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by talktimi(m): 10:44am On Jan 28, 2013
One_Naira:

You can say that again. Oil would be Nigeria's biggest downfall even BH can not do the damage oil will.

Anyway, me self, I want to see the debate. If FG does accept Ezekwesili request, someone biko tape it and post on youtube, wake me up that morning or night make I see am. The controversy sounds interesting, I wonder whose telling the truth.
and do you honestly think the FG will accept the challenge ?
Re: $67 Billion Controversy : Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by Chanchit: 10:44am On Jan 28, 2013
Booked
Re: $67 Billion Controversy : Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by zibe(m): 10:47am On Jan 28, 2013
Another political drama...let's see if anyone will be indicted, which i doubt.

1 Like

Re: $67 Billion Controversy : Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by Oahray: 10:58am On Jan 28, 2013
talktimi: and do you honestly think the FG will accept the challenge ?
I hope they do. Ezekwesili vs Maku na debate to watch o. I don't mind waking up from sleep to watch it.

I think Jonathan needs some fact-based defense badly, he is so much of a hated figure already. He cannot afford to let this allegation slip, unless Ezekwesili is right.
Re: $67 Billion Controversy : Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by PointB: 11:10am On Jan 28, 2013
One_Naira:

True talk my brother. Oil money will be Nigeria's doom.

But before that, let's see how this latest drama will end.
Re: $67 Billion Controversy : Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by eggheaders(m): 11:39am On Jan 28, 2013
PointB: This Niger Delta oil money that Nigerians are united in stealing will cause katakata to burst in this country sooner than later.

Ngbanu Round 2 - Fight!

I gat problem with dullards like you.now is Niger Delta oil money.cause the best brain from your region turn up to be a fumbler with the nation wealth.you are a good example of the Nigerian failed education system.

1 Like

Re: $67 Billion Controversy : Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by PointB: 11:50am On Jan 28, 2013
eggheaders:

I gat problem with dullards like you.now is Niger Delta oil money.cause the best brain from your region turn up to be a fumbler with the nation wealth.you are a good example of the Nigerian failed education system.

We need to examine the etymology of your monika - eggheader. It's either you are indeed too focused on theories and ideas that you fail to see what is practical, or your head indeed is egg-shaped. Either way, too bad for you.

Now run off, if you have nothing meaningful to contribute to the topic, egghead.

4 Likes

Re: $67 Billion Controversy : Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by eggheaders(m): 11:57am On Jan 28, 2013
PointB:

We need to examine the etymology of your monika - eggheader. It's either you are indeed to focused on theories and ideas that you fail to see what is practical, or your head indeed is egg-shaped. Either way, too bad for you.

Now run off, if you have nothing meaningful to contribute to the topic, egghead.

your stupidity is at it all time high.it will really do your dumbskull a lot of good to look up the meaning of EGGHEAD in a dictionary. one remarkable thing about gej a55 licking comrades is being silly is one the requirement for employment.cause you lot are stark silly lazy scoundrels.
Re: $67 Billion Controversy : Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by talktimi(m): 8:18pm On Jan 28, 2013
Oahray: I hope they do. Ezekwesili vs Maku na debate to watch o. I don't mind waking up from sleep to watch it.

I think Jonathan needs some fact-based defense badly, he is so much of a hated figure already. He cannot afford to let this allegation slip, unless Ezekwesili is right.
right now he doesn't have only Ezekwesili to contend with because the UK prime minister David Cameron has alleged that Nigeria made over a $100,000,000,000 (one hundred billion dollars) in crude oil sales last year 2012, this administration really has a lot of explanations to make. Why are our assembly members collecting monthly salaries instead of just sitting allowances is another question bothering me about this sick country.

(1) (Reply)

No One Can Deprive Us Of Presidency In 2015 – Ndigbo / Njiko Igbo Uk Hails Dr Orji Uzor Kalu (ouk) / Patience Jonathan: A Different Type Of First Lady

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.