Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,788 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:56 PM

Ribadu Asks 19 Northern Governors To Account For N8.3trillion Revenue - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ribadu Asks 19 Northern Governors To Account For N8.3trillion Revenue (903 Views)

"7 Nigerians Stole N3.3Trillion" - Aisha Buhari / It Was Sacrilegious For APC Governors To Boycott Ooni’s Burial – Afenifere / APC Asks 19 Ekiti Lawmakers To Return (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ribadu Asks 19 Northern Governors To Account For N8.3trillion Revenue by Nobody: 10:15am On Jan 28, 2013

The former Chairman of the Special Task Force on Petroleum Revenue, Nuhu Ribadu, on Saturday in Kano challenged the 19 northern governors to account for the N8.3 trillion that accrued to their states between 1999 and 2010.

Mr. Ribadu, who was speaking at a two-day summit of Northern Development Focus Initiative, NDFI, lamented that there were no significant achievements on ground to show for the huge resources at the state and local government levels for the period.

According to the former Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, despite the fact that each of the 414 local governments in the north currently has budget in excess of the N8.3 trillion of the entire Northern Region under the late Sardauna of Sokoto, Ahmadu Bello, successive administrations in the region have failed to meet the expectations of the people.

He blamed corruption for the problem, noting that at least 90 per cent of the nation’s resources were being stolen by public officials.

“When Major Nzeogwu made his speech to justify the takeover of power on January 15th, 1966, he mentioned that the military took over because the first republic politicians were collecting ten percent bribes. But nonetheless, it presupposes that at least they were using 90 percent of the resources to do the work. It would be great to pose the question: ‘What is happening now’?, he asked.

He said today public officials steal 90 percent of funds allocated to their agencies while allowing 10 percent for the purpose for which the funds were earmarked.

Others, he said, out rightly loot the treasury, stealing directly from source as revenues accrue to their governments or agencies.

Mr. Ribadu recalled the statement credited to the UK Prime Minister, David Cameron, at the ongoing World Economic Forum in Davos, that the revenue received by Nigeria in 2012 from the sale of crude oil was more than the yearly aid the entire sub Saharan Africa received.

“Where is the money, where is the improvement?” he asked

The former EFCC chairman decried the under-development of the North and erosion of the legacies of the late Premier of Northern Nigeria, Ahmadu Bello.

According to him, the last annual budget by the late Sardauna for the whole north was just 44 million pounds, with Northern Nigeria, which Ahmadu Bello led at independence, now 19 states, the federal capital territory, Abuja and 414 local government areas.

These 19 states and over 400 local government areas, he said, got a total of N8.3 trillion from the federation account between 1999 and 2010.

He said every local government areas has budgets per annum that is more than the budget of the entire old northern region during the Sardauna era.

“My take is that they were not corrupt and that was the reason they achieved so much with so little. What is really happening now with all these huge sums we have?

“These local government areas do not even repair township drainages. They do not maintain existing markets and motor parks amongst many other things that would take a while to mention. Nobody knows what they generate as revenue internally, because all the sums quoted in the reports and newspapers are just what they get from the federation account monthly. They hardly meet in council except when there are subventions to be shared.

To make matters worse, he said, many legislators, especially from the northern states, hardly attend sittings to defend the interests of their constituents, adding ” are mostly busy traveling to various parts of the world with their new found wealth”.
SOurce
Re: Ribadu Asks 19 Northern Governors To Account For N8.3trillion Revenue by Hardfact: 11:06am On Jan 28, 2013
It really does gladden my heart to hear this truth from the good old Ribadu. Please tell them. Tell them. There's really a lot more you can still them.
Re: Ribadu Asks 19 Northern Governors To Account For N8.3trillion Revenue by Ikengawo: 11:13am On Jan 28, 2013
I voted Ribadu last election, though i understand this is political posturing for him CPC/ACN candidacy.
He's trying to show that he's 'hard on the north' while quoting an igbo man to put igbos at ease with his candidacy.

1 Like

Re: Ribadu Asks 19 Northern Governors To Account For N8.3trillion Revenue by Nobody: 11:38am On Jan 28, 2013
Ikengawo: I voted Ribadu last election, though i understand this is political posturing for him CPC/ACN candidacy.
He's trying to show that he's 'hard on the north' while quoting an igbo man to put igbos at ease with his candidacy.

No you didn't..
Re: Ribadu Asks 19 Northern Governors To Account For N8.3trillion Revenue by PointB: 11:41am On Jan 28, 2013
Now this is the hypocrisy I hate hearing. Why does he have to bring in Nzeogwu in a matter that is strictly directed at Northern Governors? Couldn't he make his comment without bringing in the man they so much detested in the North for trying sanitize the system.

Anyway, that's by the way. But I will not rush to praise Ribudu for this 'attack' cos I perceive another layer of hypocrisy in effort itself. As substantial period of the 1999 - 2010 period covering Ribadu's interest happened to be when he held sway as the Head of EFFC. His job then was to prevent the type of corruption he is pointing at. Or to detect and prosecute.

How well did Ribadu do his job within the period under review? And what took Ribadu so long to voice out?

I see 2015 written all over this outburst!

2 Likes

Re: Ribadu Asks 19 Northern Governors To Account For N8.3trillion Revenue by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jan 28, 2013
With the NL commentariat still pondering over the salvo fired by a seemingly re-energized Madam "due process" Ezekwesili, in wades Mallam "corruption fights back" Ribadu to further muddle the mix?
Who said 2013 ain't gonna be a busy year, eh? grin grin grin

Cable Date: 2007, Dec 31

Ribadu: Discusses Move On Him, Yar,adua, Ibori And Obasanjo — Embassy Abuja (Nigeria) -

¶8. (S) Ambassador asked about Obasanjo and his daughter, National Assembly Senator Iyabo Obasanjo-Bello, who is currently being investigated over contracts to an Austrian company. Ribadu said that the EFCC had called her in on
December 27 and questioned her for hours. They also had documents on the transactions and questioned the head of the Austrian company. In the end, he added, we determined that there was no illicit enrichment of state funds, but a
business deal gone badly between two parties, where promises were made and not kept, and one party getting mad at the other. On former president Obasanjo, the Commissioner said, he really knew how to play the game.

Although he created the EFCC and understood its importance for him with the international community, Ribadu explained, that by far &even more than the Abacha days where he was the sole thief, corruption under Obasanjo,s eight years was far worse, because everyone stole, no doubt he did as well.8 However, he added, &Oba was a political machine and knew how to play the game for the international community, cover his tracks and for good or bad &got it8 as regards to what the EFCC,s role was and should be."

Re: Ribadu Asks 19 Northern Governors To Account For N8.3trillion Revenue by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jan 28, 2013
Re: Ribadu Asks 19 Northern Governors To Account For N8.3trillion Revenue by Tolexander: 12:41pm On Jan 28, 2013
One of the many outcomes of CPC, ACN, ANPP and co merging. You start seeing every dry leave appearing green, everyman just becoming innocent overnight.
But notwithstanding, a bleached dark rat will still retain its internal colour cos only its external colour has changed.
Re: Ribadu Asks 19 Northern Governors To Account For N8.3trillion Revenue by Gbawe: 1:30pm On Jan 28, 2013
Ribadu makes some great points here. It is impossible to develop a nation of 160 million folks when up to 90% of funds disbursed for governance is looted. All Nigerian politicians are crooks. We should not delude ourselves about that. If pragmatic and politically sophisticated, we will learn to work around this, as others have done, and do our part in securing the 'cleaner' future we want. For now, the best a practical and sensible Nigerian can hope for is a situation where Nigerians gain the requisite political sophistication that will help them choose leaders who will reverse the odious state of affair Ribadu identifies - till we evolve to reach 'utopia'.

How many Nigerians would care if Leaders even looted 10-20% and used around 80% of funds at their disposal on developing areas under their jurisdiction optimally? It is not difficult either to identify potential leaders who , even within the ultra-corrupt political waters of Nigeria, are likely to 'give back', aid development and improve the lives of those they lead. The history of leaders, scrutinised properly, reveals all. It is only when, in large numbers, we become less emotional, less biased and less clannish that Nigeria will see great progress. As things are, ordinary Nigerians are their own biggest enemies and stumbling block.
Re: Ribadu Asks 19 Northern Governors To Account For N8.3trillion Revenue by horlatunde(m): 2:02pm On Jan 28, 2013
Good one Sir.
Re: Ribadu Asks 19 Northern Governors To Account For N8.3trillion Revenue by PointB: 2:43pm On Jan 28, 2013
The incontrovertible fact remains that under Ribadu's watch corruption festered in many part of the country, north inclusive.

Ribadu has the power and mandate to check the problem he is presently pontificating on, but he chose rather to pursue the interest of his godfather obj, to the point of being seen by all and sundry as an attack dog and political witch-hunter of the then president.

It is incumbent upon elected/appointed officials to discharge their duties well without fear of favour, as not to be caught in this sort of shameful act of hypocrisy.

Ribadu should start by apologizing to Nigerians for having failed abysmally to curtail these shenenigans and corruption when he had the power to do so as EFCC boss.

Now because he is warming up to ask for our votes, he has the grown big balls to wag his tongue. Nigeria politicians are all cut from the cloth - crooks!
Re: Ribadu Asks 19 Northern Governors To Account For N8.3trillion Revenue by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jan 28, 2013
Ikengawo: I voted Ribadu last election, though i understand this is political posturing for him CPC/ACN candidacy.
. Smh You guys are just irredeemable.
Re: Ribadu Asks 19 Northern Governors To Account For N8.3trillion Revenue by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jan 28, 2013
PointB: Now this is the hypocrisy I hate hearing. Why does he have to bring in Nzeogwu in a matter that is strictly directed at Northern Governors? Couldn't he make his comment without bringing in the man they so much detested in the North for trying sanitize the system.

Anyway, that's by the way. But I will not rush to praise Ribudu for this 'attack' cos I perceive another layer of hypocrisy in effort itself. As substantial period of the 1999 - 2010 period covering Ribadu's interest happened to be when he held sway as the Head of EFFC. His job then was to prevent the type of corruption he is pointing at. Or to detect and prosecute.

How well did Ribadu do his job within the period under review? And what took Ribadu so long to voice out?

Seriously, do you guys have mental problems or is it just in your genes to always ignore the truth and base everything on only tribe and religion.
Re: Ribadu Asks 19 Northern Governors To Account For N8.3trillion Revenue by PointB: 3:03pm On Jan 28, 2013
kingoflag: Seriously, do you guys have mental problems or is it just in your genes to always ignore the truth and base everything on only tribe and religion.

Thunder fire your blokos for this comment. Your level of intelligence is very questionable if that's all you could decipher from my comment.
Re: Ribadu Asks 19 Northern Governors To Account For N8.3trillion Revenue by Ikengawo: 3:38pm On Jan 28, 2013
I'm a ribadu support so idk why I'd be accused of anything else but that's your own problem. I think Nigeria needs a sharp, internationally respected and honest custodian for it's affairs. I'm more than ok with him being the president of this country and if he run i'm likely to vote for him because the politicians i would rank above him are few.

that being said i can see the political ploy behind this statement. I'm glad he's going to be the ACN candidate or he's politicking for the position and he's going to break GEJ's strong hold by showing that he's not a 'typical' northerner, which is see having a lot of promise.
Re: Ribadu Asks 19 Northern Governors To Account For N8.3trillion Revenue by musiwa14: 5:58pm On Jan 28, 2013
Nuhu Ribadu is seeking attention, who is playing and working for Goodluck, trying to put the the blame on northern governor over the david cameron statement about Goodluck.

Re: Ribadu Asks 19 Northern Governors To Account For N8.3trillion Revenue by OmoTier1(m): 7:32pm On Jan 28, 2013
PointB:

Thunder fire your blokos for this comment. Your level of intelligence is very questionable if that's all you could decipher from my comment.
These days you come across as unreasonably reasonable embarassed
Re: Ribadu Asks 19 Northern Governors To Account For N8.3trillion Revenue by Boss13: 8:15pm On Jan 28, 2013
PointB: Now this is the hypocrisy I hate hearing. Why does he have to bring in Nzeogwu in a matter that is strictly directed at Northern Governors? Couldn't he make his comment without bringing in the man they so much detested in the North for trying sanitize the system.

You are a very annoying person.
Re: Ribadu Asks 19 Northern Governors To Account For N8.3trillion Revenue by PointB: 8:35pm On Jan 28, 2013
Boss13:

You are a very annoying person.

lol.
I didn't pledge to make you happy. Perhaps you should try Disneyland or any of your favorite cartoon!
Re: Ribadu Asks 19 Northern Governors To Account For N8.3trillion Revenue by PointB: 8:37pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
These days you come across as unreasonably reasonable embarassed

It comes with the territory!

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan Convinces Keshi To Stay On As Eagles Coach / Jonathan’s Visit To Borno/yobe Has Worsened Boko Haram Crisis – ACN / Railway: Passengers Lament Undue Delays, Technical Hitches

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.