Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,276 members, 7,780,626 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:03 PM

What Would You Do With $388,550? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Would You Do With $388,550? (766 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Would You Do With $388,550? by olulu(m): 10:46am On Jan 28, 2013
What would you do if money did not matter?
OK, wrong question cos money matters, it just varies in the degree of importance.
Like blood to the body, so is money to business.
But, if you were to ask me, what would you do with $388,550?
The answer?
I will change the world.

What would I do with $388,550?
Well, for now I have just one dream,
Create a vibrant Spoken Word Poetry industry in Nigeria thereby creating opportunities for people especially the youths to express their God given talents and make a very decent living from it.
You see, we were all created for impact, and the impact you make is the legacy you leave behind.
I am a believer in doing what you are loving, and loving what you are doing. I also believe people should be loving life and living in love.

How will $388,550 create an industry?
Well, that’s the simple part.
First, start the biggest Spoken Word Poetry show in Nigeria on a quarterly basis and ensure all Spoken Word Poets get paid “handsomely” for performing. (We have actually started doing this, even though we are yet to implement every aspect fully).
Second, start a slam poetry competition with a very “handsome” cash reward attached.
Third, take the biggest Spoken Word Poetry show in Nigeria from one State to another State in Nigeria.
Fourth, start a slam poetry competition for tertiary institutions students.
Fifth, start a slam poetry competition between different States in Nigeria.
Sixth, start a slam poetry competition between different Countries in West Africa, and then Africa, and then, Nigeria versus USA .
Seventh, there will definitely be an offshoot of the initial dream, and that would be my next target.

Would $388,500 be able to do all this?
Probably not.
But it would jump start 1 and 2, and you know what they say about the law of Aerodynamics, (i.e. when a plane starts to move and reaches a certain speed, the only thing it can do is to take off. By taking off, it defies the law of gravity and the only way the plane will succumb to the law of gravity and come down back to the ground is if it reduces speed or run out of fuel).
The more you do what you love to do, the more you gain momentum. The more momentum you gain, the more it is difficult to keep you from flying.

Ok, I guess you might want to ask, what is so special about Spoken Word Poetry? Why do I love Spoken Word Poetry?
True is, I don’t know why, I just do.
My personal mission in life is to make people happy, and Spoken Word Poetry is the vehicle that chose me. I didn’t do the choosing.
I believe Spoken Word Poetry can motivate people to strive for excellence.
I believe Poets can inspire, excite, entertain, inform and connect with people through Spoken Word Poetry.
I believe we can discover, nurture and promote spoken word poets so as to provide a means of livelihood for them and reduce the rate of poverty and unemployment in the country.

Where are the poets?
They are all over the world, in every company, in every place of business, in every place of worship and in every schools. We have some are in the court room, some are in the hospitals, some are in construction companies, some in the automobile companies, many are in the banking hall as tellers and many more in other companies.

Don’t I want to have a nice mansion, cars and other good things of life instead of pursing a “silly” dream?
Who doesn’t? But those things don’t last forever, ideas last forever. That’s why some people would say the world is ruled by dead people, cos it’s their ideas/ dreams that became realities that you and I now enjoy, use and /or practise.

What happens if I don’t get the $388,550?
Well, like 50 Cent, we will make this dream a reality one way or the other, or die trying…………….!!!

Written by
Olulu, the King not from Zulu.
olulu4ever@gmail.com
Re: What Would You Do With $388,550? by LarrySun(m): 7:43pm On Jan 28, 2013
I'd build a publishing company!
Re: What Would You Do With $388,550? by Cuddlemii: 7:56pm On Jan 28, 2013
Larry-Sun:
I'd build a publishing company!

Lolz! wrong answer
Re: What Would You Do With $388,550? by LarrySun(m): 8:02pm On Jan 28, 2013
Cuddlemii:

Lolz! wrong answer
Wrong answer?
Re: What Would You Do With $388,550? by Cuddlemii: 8:06pm On Jan 28, 2013
Larry-Sun:

Wrong answer?

Mr Larry, let me ask you the question again. What would you do with $388,550? cheesy
Re: What Would You Do With $388,550? by LarrySun(m): 8:13pm On Jan 28, 2013
Cuddlemii:

Mr Larry, let me ask you the question again. What would you do with $388,550? cheesy
**Scratching my head**
Okay, I've got the answer!
I'd buy wheelchairs for all the paraleptics in Nigeria smiley
Re: What Would You Do With $388,550? by Cuddlemii: 8:19pm On Jan 28, 2013
Larry-Sun:

**Scratching my head**
Okay, I've got the answer!
I'd buy wheelchairs for all the paraleptics in Nigeria smiley

Charity or business?
Re: What Would You Do With $388,550? by LarrySun(m): 8:27pm On Jan 28, 2013
Cuddlemii:

Charity or business?
I've got a big heart grin

But seriously, the only thing which comes to mind now is building a press company. Except, of course, if you'd want me to cut the money in smaller bits, add some slices of onion, not too much pepper, pints of salt...then wolf down the bales.
Re: What Would You Do With $388,550? by Cuddlemii: 8:37pm On Jan 28, 2013
Larry-Sun:

I've got a big heart grin

But seriously, the only thing which comes to mind now is building a press company. Except, of course, if you'd want me to cut the money in smaller bits, add some slices of onion, not too much pepper, pints of salt...then wolf down the bales.

You were thinking like a writer and not a business man or economist. How can you invest $388,550 into a press company? You should invest in at least 2 businesses(You need something to fall back on, like an alterative plan).

***Don't mind me, I am just messing with you***
Re: What Would You Do With $388,550? by LarrySun(m): 8:44pm On Jan 28, 2013
Cuddlemii:

You were thinking like a writer and not a business man or economist. How can you invest $388,550 into a press company? You should invest in at least 2 businesses(You need something to fall back on, like an alterative plan).

***Don't mind me, I am just messing with you***
Yeah, I might...if some loose change remained.
But, publishing people's works would give me pleasure. Imagine the smell of ink on papers, the feel of reams, the sound of machine...creation. Oh! I'm finding myself in that worrld already cheesy It'd really give me pleasure.
Re: What Would You Do With $388,550? by Cuddlemii: 8:59pm On Jan 28, 2013
Larry-Sun:

But, publishing people's works would give me pleasure. Imagine the smell of ink on papers, the feel of reams, the sound of machine...creation. Oh! I'm finding myself in that worrld already cheesy It'd really give me pleasure.

Lolz, we all have dreams and desires.

But, you must also be a man and realist first!

If not, the world would be without sin and everyone would be rich.

Have your printing press, a simple and productive one. Nothing to fancy, focus on the quality of work.
Get another small business that would mature overtime and remain relevant over the years. Something that will appreciate.

****consider me your bad realistic conscience****na boredom****
Re: What Would You Do With $388,550? by LarrySun(m): 9:06pm On Jan 28, 2013
Okay, I'm considering setting up an amala joint too. I can really make succulent amala.
Re: What Would You Do With $388,550? by olulu(m): 3:00pm On Feb 12, 2013
Larry-Sun:
Okay, I'm considering setting up an amala joint too. I can really make succulent amala.

u can't go wrong with food business. well, if u get the location right and awareness right.

Larry-Sun:

Never let go of your dreams, no matter how silly or impossible they may sound or look, they are achievable.

Cuddlemii:

Lolz, we all have dreams and desires.

But, you must also be a man and realist first!

If not, the world would be without sin and everyone would be rich.

Have your printing press, a simple and productive one. Nothing to fancy, focus on the quality of work.
Get another small business that would mature overtime and remain relevant over the years. Something that will appreciate.

****consider me your bad realistic conscience****na boredom****

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: What Would You Do With $388,550? by Cuddlemii: 6:28pm On Feb 12, 2013
olulu:

u can't go wrong with food business. well, if u get the location right and awareness right.

Never let go of your dreams, no matter how silly or impossible they may sound or look, they are achievable.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Lol!

I was just messing with Larry wink

1 Like

Re: What Would You Do With $388,550? by olulu(m): 10:01am On Feb 15, 2013
Cuddlemii:

Lol!

I was just messing with Larry wink

me know, me understand smiley

(1) (Reply)

Themes And Dynamics Of European Nigeria Relations / Words From A Father To A Son About Marriage / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.