Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,029 members, 7,807,049 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:56 AM

Being A Nigerian Housewife - Family (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Being A Nigerian Housewife (24475 Views)

Housewife Snatched By LG Boss Dies Mysteriously After Childbirth (pic) / Housewife Dies Rescuing Electrocuted Mate / Housewife Caught Having Sex With Lover, Fined N50,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jan 31, 2013
People! Please shut down this thread right now!

It has come to my attention that I am not a working mother but a stay at home mom. I will hazard a guess that JK, Greatgod, Efe and co also fall into the category of non working, stay at home moms under this new ground breaking definition. This means we are all in agreement essentially. grin That is unless you are a jet setting workaholic angry angry in which case, you are not part of our crew!

If you fall under this umbrella and come here to argue again, I go e-slap you!

grin grin grin
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by coogar: 2:59pm On Jan 31, 2013
BABE!:

Ileobatojo, don't you just secretly wish you were a housewife? cheesy
Lounging with your kid/s? Having a good time with them? Have your whole life centered around them? Don't you just wish you have that luxury to worry less about when your next pay check will emerge, because its all about your kids? Arggh!

Life sucks, doesn't it ?!
Not everyone will have the iPhone5, some will be stuck with Nokia3310 till Jesus comes, but at least, lets be honest with ourselves. smiley
If you keep basking in your "my nokia3310 is better than an iphone5", the dude next door that had the plan to give you an iphone5 as a gift will change his mind, because he'll think you don't want it, meanwhile na lie. . .

Nigerians and their "ako"!! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by MMotimo: 3:05pm On Jan 31, 2013
I have been at both ends of the spectrum for extended periods, the reason why I can talk.
My first post on this thread said it boils down to trust and affordability for most families. After all is said and done, it remains true. If you didn't need the income from work, would anyone be slaving it out daily? Would you not be engaged in more pleasurable pursuits? Most of us work because, when you think of your financial goals, you do not have a choice!

This is not a thread for back and forths, no time nor inclination.

Back to work. . . . . . my household's goals are not currently achievable on one income. THAT, my friends, is the reason why I work else I would be a volunteer at the library - yes, pure honesty!
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by SisiKill1: 3:13pm On Jan 31, 2013
NOKIA FEATURES
Messaging
SMS
Browser
Radio
No
Clock
Yes
Alarm
Yes
Games
4 ( Snake II, Pairs II, Space Impact, Bantumi )
Languages
17 for menu, 11 for T9
GPS
No
Java
No
Colors
User exchangeable front and back covers
- Predictive text input
- Smart messaging
- Calculator
- Voice Dial
- Mobile Chat mode for SMS
- Profiles
- Currency converter

IPHONE FEATURES
OS -iOS 6, upgradable to iOS 6.1
Chipset - Apple A6
CPU -Dual-core 1.2 GHz
GPU -PowerVR SGX 543MP3 (triple-core graphics)
Sensors- Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
Messaging -iMessage, SMS (threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Email
Browser - HTML (Safari)
Radio - No
GPS - Yes, with A-GPS support and GLONASS
Java - No
Colors- Black/Slate, White/Silver
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- Siri natural language commands and dictation
- iCloud cloud service
- Twitter and Facebook integration
- TV-out
- Maps
- iBooks PDF reader
- Audio/video player/editor
- Organizer
- Document viewer
- Image viewer/editor
- Voice memo/dial/command
- Predictive text input

One needn't have to use both phones to know what is glaringly obvious – The Iphone is better than the Nokia in terms of features. It’s not an opinion. . .IT IS A FACT LAID OUT IN BLACK AND WHITE!

On the other hand, everything being said about the advantages and disadvantages of career women vs homemakers and vice versa are nothing but opinions. Until there are glaring facts showing one side's superiority over the other (like the Iphone having an IBook reader and the Nokia doesn't. . .type of facts i.e OBVIOUS) I think it is a bit deceptive to use that illustration in this case.

I honestly don’t get why this has to be Good vs Bad….what is an advantage for someone can be a disadvantage for another. This is LIFE gaddamit! We can’t all fit in one cute little box.

I know this is probably gonna fall on deaf ears but can we just stop…there is no need to deride someone for the life choices they have made because at the end of the day women in the different groups still have one fundamental thing in common– They work Hard

On a looking for trouble note, how come we never get a this vs that debate where men are the focus?!

Hmmmm!!

2 Likes

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by BABE3: 3:18pm On Jan 31, 2013
debosky:

And she has the effrontery to ask me about vitamins? grin

I should be asking her about her temazepam and ritalin pills. grin grin

Olodo, na hin you be, if you really thought I've been arguing for useless housewives, olodo.

But I'm hoping you just pull that out of no where for the sake of not being silenced. cheesy

ileobatojo: People! Please shut down this thread right now!

It has come to my attention that I am not a working mother but a stay at home mom. I will hazard a guess that JK, Greatgod, Efe and co also fall into the category of non working, stay at home moms under this new ground breaking definition. This means we are all in agreement essentially. grin That is unless you are a jet setting workaholic angry angry in which case, you are not part of our crew!

If you fall under this umbrella and come here to argue again, I go e-slap you!

grin grin grin

This post is face-palm worthy. Lordy lord. Ileobatojo is in Hyper mode. Calm down, ma. E pele. cheesy Your energy is all over the place right now. Chanel it into saying something tangible or remain silent. Stop ridiculing yourself please.

MMotimo:
Back to work. . . . . . my household's goals are not currently achievable on one income. THAT, my friends, is the reason why I work else I would be a volunteer at the library - yes, pure honesty!

Ileobatojo, you see that? grin

1 Like

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by coogar: 3:40pm On Jan 31, 2013
Sisi_Kill:
One needn't have to use both phones to know what is glaringly obvious – The Iphone is better than the Nokia in terms of features. It’s not an opinion. . .IT IS A FACT LAID OUT IN BLACK AND WHITE!

it peeves me to the marrow when people argue this way.
by the same token, one needn't have to be married to know what is glaringly obvious that - the stayathome mum would spend more time with her kids than the stereotypical career woman. it's not an opinion, it's a fact - the more time spent with one's kids - the better for the family.

duh, nokia 3310 owners would also argue which is more cost effective - one apple phone would buy twenty nokia 3310s - why waste such money on an i-phone when the basics of calling/receiving and sending texts exist on both phones. nokia 3310 is more user friendly too and it won't attract petty thieves - this is analogous to: why spend so much time with my children when i can work, come back home and spend fewer hours?

On the other hand, everything being said about the advantages and disadvantages of career women vs homemakers and vice versa are nothing but opinions. Until there are glaring facts showing one side's superiority over the other (like the Iphone having an IBook reader and the Nokia doesn't. . .type of facts i.e OBVIOUS) I think it is a bit deceptive to use that illustration in this case.

the superiority is in the fact that the more quality/quantity time spent with one's kids the better it gets for the family - why hasn't anyone tackle this irrefutable fact? like i have said nokia owners would tell you the affordability of acquiring the apple is a huge disadvantage just like career women would tell you they cannot afford to spend so much time with their kids - even when they know they should!

and if it's glaringly obvious and indisputable like you claim that apple is better than nokia - why are some people still using their nokia then? everyone should be using the iphone - just like everyone takes water!

On a looking for trouble note, how come we never get a this vs that debate where men are the focus?!
Hmmmm!!

men are straight forward, women are complex! majority of you lots don't even know what you want.
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jan 31, 2013
BABE!:

Olodo, na hin you be, if you really thought I've been arguing for useless housewives, olodo.

But I'm hoping you just pull that out of no where for the sake of not being silenced. cheesy

This post is face-palm worthy. Lordy lord. Ileobatojo is in Hyper mode. Calm down, ma. E pele. cheesy Your energy is all over the place right now. Chanel it into saying something tangible or remain silent. Stop ridiculing yourself please.

My dear this thread is over. There is really no point in you continuing to speak.
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by bukatyne(f): 4:08pm On Jan 31, 2013
BABE!:

Madam, MUST EVERYBODY WORK BECAUSE THEY NEED THE MONEY?? SORRY TO DISAPPOINT YOU, SOME WOMEN WILL NOT STOP WORKING EVEN IF THEY HAVE THE WHOLE WORK BECAUSE....... THEY WANT TO WORK!
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by SisiKill1: 4:13pm On Jan 31, 2013
coogar:

it peeves me to the marrow when people argue this way.
by the same token, one needn't have to be married to know what is glaringly obvious that - the stayathome mum would spend more time with her kids than the stereotypical career woman. it's not an opinion, it's a fact - the more time spent with one's kids - the better for the family.

duh, nokia 3310 owners would also argue which is more cost effective - one apple phone would buy twenty nokia 3310s - why waste such money on an i-phone when the basics of calling/receiving and sending texts exist on both phones. nokia 3310 is more user friendly too and it won't attract petty thieves - this is analogous to: why spend so much time with my children when i can work, come back home and spend fewer hours?

the superiority is in the fact that the more quality/quantity time spent with one's kids the better it gets for the family - why hasn't anyone tackle this irrefutable fact? like i have said nokia owners would tell you the affordability of acquiring the apple is a huge disadvantage just like career women would tell you they cannot afford to spend so much time with their kids - even when they know they should!

and if it's glaringly obvious and indisputable like you claim that apple is better than nokia - why are some people still using their nokia then? everyone should be using the iphone - just like everyone takes water!

men are straight forward, women are complex! majority of you lots don't even know what you want.

And you know what many find beyond annoying?? Arguing based on a vague premise.

You hide behind your Quality Time + Quantity Time equation because of the blanket it provides.

If a point is made showing how children with homemarker moms also have issues, you can counter it with "Oh they may be home but are they spending quality time with the kids?

If a point is made showing children with working moms have turned alright you go. . . but it can be better with quantity timee....you completely distort the entire debate jumping from one side to the other (Which is why it seems you are talking outta both sides of your mouth)

The issue is simple

MOM A DOES NOT WORK
MOM B WORKS

Show us hard facts like the Nokia vs Iphone facts that children brought up with working moms are worse off. Show us facts like the Nokia vs Iphone what children with working moms lack or have that the children with homemakers do not lack or do not have. . .Facts that can be DIRECTLY LINKED to what side of the divide their moms are.

Until you can do that, it is pointless carrying on this issue with you.
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by coogar: 4:41pm On Jan 31, 2013
Sisi_Kill:

And you know what many find beyond annoying?? Arguing based on a vague premise.

You hide behind your Quality Time + Quantity Time equation because of the blanket it provides.

If a point is made showing how children with homemarker moms also have issues, you can counter it with "Oh they may be home but are they spending quality time with the kids?

If a point is made showing children with working moms have turned alright you go. . . but it can be better with quantity timee....you completely distort the entire debate jumping from one side to the other (Which is why it seems you are talking outta both sides of your mouth)

The issue is simple

MOM A DOES NOT WORK
MOM B WORKS

Show us hard facts like the Nokia vs Iphone facts that children brought up with working moms are worse off. Show us facts like the Nokia vs Iphone what children with working moms lack or have that the children with homemakers do not lack or do not have. . .Facts that can be DIRECTLY LINKED to what side of the divide their moms are.

Until you can do that, it is pointless carrying on this issue with you.

sisikill at her best in being manipulative - hehehehehene
why must it be mom A works versus mom b does not work? when we all know other circumstances play a part in what a child would be? come on - na, you are not arguing with an illiterate.

a more precise comparison would be mom A works vs mom A does not work. just like sisikill uses nokia 3310 vs sisikill uses iphone 5 - which would be more effective?

checkmate!!!!!
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by maclatunji: 4:45pm On Jan 31, 2013
Now, I am starting to get dizzy!
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by SisiKill1: 4:59pm On Jan 31, 2013
coogar:

sisikill at her best in being manipulative - hehehehehene
why must it be mom A works versus mom b does not work? when we all know other circumstances play a part in what a child would be? come on - na, you are not arguing with an illiterate.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

a more precise comparison would be mom A works vs mom A does not work. just like sisikill uses nokia 3310 vs sisikill uses iphone 5 - which would be more effective?

checkmate!!!!!

Oh so now it is about ONE mom in two groups?

I thought the whole point of this 15 page thread was about how children of moms in Group A are better off than Children of Moms in Group B?!!

Lmao! I'm done with you!! cheesy
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by coogar: 5:06pm On Jan 31, 2013
Sisi_Kill:
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

you are a darling!

Oh so now it is about ONE mom?
I thought the whole point of this 15 page thread was about how children of moms in Group A are better of than Children of Moms in Group B?!!
Lmao! I'm done with you!! cheesy

you thought wrong o......
the argument has been whether parents who stay at home bond better with the kids than when they leave the child care to ekaette(housemaid)!
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by debosky(m): 5:11pm On Jan 31, 2013
BABE!:

This is a pile of horse droppings - after your vacuous and senseless argument is exposed, you want to limit it to a narrow subset of housewives/working women? Even amoeba cells do not attempt this pitiful form of shape shifting.

I won't get in your way though - you and your split personality coogar can continue posting your rubbish.

5 Likes

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by debosky(m): 5:13pm On Jan 31, 2013
MMotimo: Back to work. . . . . . my household's goals are not currently achievable on one income. THAT, my friends, is the reason why I work else I would be a volunteer at the library - yes, pure honesty!

And somehow in your pretty little head you assume everyone else is in the same position? cheesy

Newsflash: Many people would continue in their very jobs even if they won the lottery because they actually enjoy what they do.

2 Likes

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jan 31, 2013
debosky:

And somehow in your pretty little head you assume everyone else is in the same position? cheesy

Newsflash: Many people would continue in their very jobs even if they won the lottery because they actually enjoy what they do.
Not a job that will leave them no time for young kids!!
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by debosky(m): 5:17pm On Jan 31, 2013
Morayo747: Not a job that will leave them no time for young kids!!

Sure - but that is talking about a type of job, not making a distinction between either working or becoming a housewife.

4 Likes

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by coogar: 5:19pm On Jan 31, 2013
debosky:
This is a pile of horse droppings - after your vacuous and senseless argument is exposed, you want to limit it to a narrow subset of housewives? Even amoeba cells do not attempt this pitiful form of shape shifting.

you are a tool!
you are getting your arsë whooped and the next thing is to throw my name into the melee to deflect the beatdown.

I won't get in your way though - you and your split personality coogar can continue posting your rubbish.

if anything, you are the one posting rubbish!
drawing different idiotic analogies when we all know other physical conditions apply. i have asked you - would you not prefer to spend more time with your child to bond with him?

1 Like

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by debosky(m): 5:24pm On Jan 31, 2013
coogar:
i have asked you - would you not prefer to spend more time with your child to bond with him?

Sure I would. Does that equate to becoming a house husband or stopping work? How much time is 'more time'?

2 Likes

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by SisiKill1: 5:29pm On Jan 31, 2013
There is a subset of the "Career women" who work almost 24/7

There is a subset of the "Homemakers" who spend the entire day lazying about.

. . .If the homemakers side say they are arguing for the women who actually spend time with their kids, do laundry, clean the home, run to the stores, pickup dry cleaning etc. . .why is it inconceivable that working women's side are arguing for those who do not work 24/7? Women who actually work and still have time to pick up the kids from school, do homework, have dinner together and put them to bed?

Again trying to win an argument by painting the other side in the baddest light possible is just....meh! undecided

1 Like

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by SisiKill1: 5:30pm On Jan 31, 2013
debosky:

Sure I would. Does that equate to becoming a house husband or stopping work? How much time is 'more time'?

And there ya have it!
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by coogar: 5:31pm On Jan 31, 2013
debosky:

that's the point - no time is lost raising one's kids the proper way. there's no too much time! every minute spent with them is worth it.
if time/work is so important - why have the child in the first place? if the value of that child is priceless then logic dictates one of the parents should stay at home and raise that child like their hearts desire.
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by debosky(m): 5:43pm On Jan 31, 2013
coogar:

that's the point - no time is lost raising one's kids the proper way. there's no too much time! every minute spent with them is worth it.
if time/work is so important - why have the child in the first place? if the value of that child is priceless then logic dictates one of the parents should stay at home and raise that child like their hearts desire.

There is no such dictation of logic - the only logic is that the parents do their best within the constraints to give their child a good upbringing, whether that means staying at home (for a while or permanently) or working is solely the prerogative of the parents involved. There is no one size fits all.

For example, if in the name of 'spending time' my parent(s) end up sending me to the decrepit public school down the road instead of earning money to send me to a decent school, they have wasted that time. Getting too hung up on this 'spending time' with kids can lead to a warped view.

There can be such a thing as too much time - the key is making a judgement on how best to use the available time, considering all the constraints (need for money, shelter, personal fulfillment, etc.) for the greatest good of all involved.

4 Likes

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by coogar: 5:54pm On Jan 31, 2013
debosky:
There is no such dictation of logic - the only logic is that the parents do their best within the constraints to give their child a good upbringing, whether that means staying at home (for a while or permanently) or working is solely the prerogative of the parents involved. There is no one size fits all.

really? but you just told me now you nurse the ambition of spending more time with your son.......it means deep down, you know you can do better than what the current situation is.

For example, if in the name of 'spending time' my parent(s) end up sending me to the decrepit public school down the road instead of earning money to send me to a decent school, they have wasted that time.

decrepit public school? i am starting to think nigerians don't plan for their kids with all these examples you give. why decrepit? husband n wives had jobs before the birth of their child, they also had savings - so tell me, where does the decrepit ish come from again?

for the sake of argument, you can also be home schooled, debosky!
most parents can still school their kids in elementary math, english and what not!

There can be such a thing as too much time - the key is making a judgement on how best to use the available time, considering all the constraints (need for money, shelter, personal fulfillment, etc.) for the greatest good of all involved.

too much time with one's child? i never hear that one before o!
i can spend 30 hrs per day with my child - life is too short and kids grow faster these days. before you know it, mini-me is all grown and already talking about going to college and you are there in regret thinking did i really utilise the time i had when this boy was a child?

1 Like

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by armyofone(m): 5:56pm On Jan 31, 2013
Interesting

It comes down to individual. I have a friend who had a great job but left it 2years ago when they had their baby. Her husband is a doc in a mil hospital. I have another friend a college graduate with masters in Education. She is a full time stay at home mom to their young children. Hubby has a good job. Most of the women I know (all white) are stay at home mom but they do volunteer at the library, very involved in church activities, join social clubs or do some on call support work. Maybe to keep busy. Staying at home for the children sake is a great idea but some people (both husband and wifey) misuse it.

To each their own, not one size fit all.

2 Likes

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by debosky(m): 6:08pm On Jan 31, 2013
coogar:
really? but you just told me now you nurse the ambition of spending more time with your son.......it means deep down, you know you can do better than what the current situation is.

Spending more time doesn't mean simply not working - it may mean, for example, spending less time trying to get rational ideas into thick heads on NL. cheesy

decrepit public school? i am starting to think nigerians don't plan for their kids with all these examples you give. why decrepit? husband n wives had jobs before the birth of their child, they also had savings - so tell me, where does the decrepit ish come from again?

Like I said, you live in a fantasy world, not in reality. The decision to spend unlimited time with kids is mostly not without consequences - sometimes that will mean a lower quality of education, or a sacrifice of additional earnings. It's up to those involved to decide, where they have a choice.

too much time with one's child? i never hear that one before o!
i can spend 30 hrs per day with my child - life is too short and kids grow faster these days. before you know it, mini-me is all grown and already talking about going to college and you are there in regret thinking did i really utilise the time i had when this boy was a child?

That's your prerogative - let others decide how to live their lives without you imposing your views.

2 Likes

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by coogar: 6:18pm On Jan 31, 2013
debosky:
Spending more time doesn't mean simply not working - it may mean, for example, spending less time trying to get rational ideas into thick heads on NL. cheesy

thick heads like debosky, sisi-skill and the witchdoctor. grin

Like I said, you live in a fantasy world, not in reality. The decision to spend unlimited time with kids is mostly not without consequences - sometimes that will mean a lower quality of education, or a sacrifice of additional earnings. It's up to those involved to decide, where they have a choice.

what are the consequences when one half of the parents of that child is still working? i am not talking about single parents here - but 2 people who have decided to split their roles for the greater good of their kids.

That's your prerogative - let others decide how to live their lives without you imposing your views.

impose views? how? people who want to spend their entire week at work should do so by all means. wetin concern coogar about how mr and mrs okoro want to live their lives?

1 Like

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by maclatunji: 6:34pm On Jan 31, 2013
debosky:

For example, if in the name of 'spending time' my parent(s) end up sending me to the decrepit public school down the road instead of earning money to send me to a decent school, they have wasted that time. Getting too hung up on this 'spending time' with kids can lead to a warped view.

Ok, this makes sense.
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by maclatunji: 6:39pm On Jan 31, 2013
armyofone: Interesting

It comes down to individual. I have a friend who had a great job but left it 2years ago when they had their baby. Her husband is a doc in a mil hospital. I have another friend a college graduate with masters in Education. She is a full time stay at home mom to their young children. Hubby has a good job. Most of the women I know (all white) are stay at home mom but they do volunteer at the library, very involved in church activities, join social clubs or do some on call support work. Maybe to keep busy. Staying at home for the children sake is a great idea but some people (both husband and wifey) misuse it.

Is volunteering for the library the new 'cool'? You are the second person to mention it on this thread.

I would rather volunteer to test the latest hi-tech gadgets. tongue
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by maclatunji: 6:41pm On Jan 31, 2013
armyofone: Interesting

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by bukatyne(f): 7:41pm On Jan 31, 2013
maclatunji:

Is volunteering for the library the new 'cool'? You are the second person to mention it on this thread.

there are some people who are content with staying at home all day without doing any stimulating job; some are not and will feel they are wasting. Group A are suited to be housewives. If group B decided to be, they have to occupy themselves else they feel frustrated so they take up voluntary jobs, commit to their local church, sit on one board or the other.
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by armyofone(m): 7:45pm On Jan 31, 2013
a good place to volunteer and you should know why if you live in the US.
Cheers.

maclatunji:

good idea too if the hi tech companies will select your resume. so many interns/coop students already vying. So if you are stay at home dad, I wonder how you will be volunteering 1hr doing test on gadgets.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

How Can I Stop Yelling(shouting) At My My Partner? / Be Careful With Your Secrets! / Son Tells Mum To Leave His Home To Create Space For Girlfriend With 2kids (vid)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.