Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,968 members, 7,806,802 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:57 AM

Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 (8505 Views)

Reading Vs Arsenal (2 - 5) On 17th December 2012 / Reading Vs Manchester United (3 - 4) On 1st December 2012 / Reading Vs Arsenal - Capital One Cup (5 - 7) On 30th October 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 by mukina2: 7:07pm On Jan 29, 2013
Manager Brian McDermott is under no illusions about the task his Reading side will face against Chelsea, even if the Blues did narrowly escape FA Cup embarrassment at the weekend.

Chelsea had looked set to be knocked out of the competition by npower League One side Brentford, only for Fernando Torres to spare their blushes with an equaliser.

Elimination would have been unthinkable for the west London club, who were Capital One Cup semi-final losers last week and have already surrendered their Champions League title.

As a result, it is already being reported that interim manager Rafael Benitez could be on borrowed time but, according to McDermott, Chelsea remain a team to be feared.

Since the Spaniard took over his players have excelled on the road - they have scored 23 times in two months - and McDermott knows the threat they will pose at the Madejski Stadium.

``If you look at Chelsea's away record under Rafa it is phenomenal,'' said McDermott, whose side are unbeaten in 2013.

``They have got a top manager who did fantastically well at Liverpool and also in Spain, and is now trying to work with that group of players at Chelsea. They are a fantastic team but they are not my business.

``You can look at their draw with Brentford but that's just what the cup is all about. Look what else happened at the weekend. Oldham beat Liverpool, (Aston) Villa went out and QPR were beaten at home.

``Chelsea are still in the cup and that's what matters.''

McDermott will be without striker Jason Roberts against Chelsea owing to a hip problem, while Noel Hunt has an unspecified knock.

Daniel Carrico, a recent signing from Sporting, is unlikely to be involved as he adjusts to life in England.

Meanwhile, Benitez has admitted he does not think Chelsea will give him any more money to spend before the transfer window closes.

Interim Blues boss Benitez confirmed last week he had told owner Roman Abramovich that his squad was not strong enough to cope with the unprecedented fixture pile-up facing them this season.

But he appears to have given up hope of being allowed to add to the January signing of Demba Ba before Thursday's transfer deadline.

Asked if he anticipated any movement in the final 48 hours of the window, he said: ``I don't think so but my job is to improve my squad and manage the situation we have.''

Abramovich and the board's reluctance to back Benitez in the transfer market will reinforce the view that he has become a dead man walking at Stamford Bridge just over two months after succeeding Roberto Di Matteo.

It is understood there is currently no prospect of him losing his job before his contract expires this summer but reports persist that the club are already actively discussing replacing him next season.

Benitez shrugged off the speculation, which has included Everton boss David Moyes being linked with his job.

``My position is exactly the same,'' he said, confirming he had held talks with technical director Michael Emenalo in the wake of the draw at Brentford.

``I was speaking about football with Michael Emenalo, as normal.

``I will try to do my job as well as I can, and try to do my best every game.''

For now, he must still do without Petr Cech, David Luiz, Eden Hazard, John Obi Mikel and Victor Moses ahead of the game at Reading.

The failure of Cech to recover from a calf problem is a particular blow considering Ross Turnbull's travails at Griffin Park on Sunday.

But Benitez backed Cech's understudy, saying: ``When you're not playing too many games, it's always more difficult.

``It's a question of settling down. He's training well. We don't have an issue there.''

http://espnfc.com/en/preview/345846/preview.html?soccernet=true&cc=3888
Re: Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 by Allisonrichy(m): 12:23pm On Jan 30, 2013
We've heard u nw go nd play...we dnt want u at chelsea thats all
Re: Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jan 30, 2013
according to their name, 'reading.' dem go continue to dey read the number of goalz chelsea go hammer dem....lmao
Re: Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 by inspirizu(m): 12:33pm On Jan 30, 2013
Abeg make chelsea win Ooo°˚˚˚° no more surprises
Re: Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 by Alary: 12:43pm On Jan 30, 2013
[quote author=mukina2]Manager Brian McDermott is under no illusions about the task his Reading side will face against Chelsea, even if the Blues did narrowly escape FA Cup embarrassment at the weekend.

Chelsea had looked set to be knocked out of the competition by npower League One side Brentford, only for Fernando Torres to spare their blushes with an equaliser.

Elimination would have been unthinkable for the west London club, who were Capital One Cup semi-final losers last week and have already surrendered their Champions League title.

As a result, it is already being reported that interim manager Rafael Benitez could be on borrowed time but, according to McDermott, Chelsea remain a team to be feared.

Since the Spaniard took over his players have excelled on the road - they have scored 23 times in two months - and McDermott knows the threat they will pose at the Madejski Stadium.

``If you look at Chelsea's away record under Rafa it is phenomenal,'' said McDermott, whose side are unbeaten in 2013.

``They have got a top manager who did fantastically well at Liverpool and also in Spain, and is now trying to work with that group of players at Chelsea. They are a fantastic team but they are not my business.

``You can look at their draw with Brentford but that's just what the cup is all about. Look what else happened at the weekend. Oldham beat Liverpool, (Aston) Villa went out and QPR were beaten at home.

McDermott will be without striker Jason Roberts against Chelsea owing to a hip problem, while Noel Hunt has an unspecified knock.

Daniel Carrico, a recent signing from Sporting, is unlikely to be involved as he adjusts to life in England.

Meanwhile, Benitez has admitted he does not think Chelsea will give him any more money to spend before the transfer window closes.

Interim Blues boss Benitez confirmed last week he had told owner Roman Abramovich that his squad was not strong enough to cope with the unprecedented fixture pile-up facing them this season.

But he appears to have given up hope of being allowed to add to the January signing of Demba Ba before Thursday's transfer deadline.

Asked if he anticipated any movement in the final 48 hours of the window, he said: ``I don't think so but my job is to improve my squad and manage the situation we have.''

Abramovich and the board's reluctance to back Benitez in the transfer market will reinforce the view that he has become a dead man walking at Stamford Bridge just over two months after succeeding Roberto Di Matteo.

It is understood there is currently no prospect of him losing his job before his contract expires this summer but reports persist that the club are already actively discussing replacing him next season.

Benitez shrugged off the speculation, which has included Everton boss David Moyes being linked with his job.

``My position is exactly the same,'' he said, confirming he had held talks with technical director Michael Emenalo in the wake of the draw at Brentford.

For now, he must still do without Petr Cech, David Luiz, Eden Hazard, John Obi Mikel and Victor Moses ahead of the game at Reading.

The failure of Cech to recover from a calf problem is a particular blow considering Ross Turnbull's travails at Griffin Park on Sunday.

But Benitez backed Cech's understudy, saying: ``When you're not playing too many games, it's always more difficult.

``It's a question of settling down. He's training well. We don't have an issue there.''

Another upset tonight
Re: Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 by 4reigningqueen: 12:45pm On Jan 30, 2013
the new manager after Benitez

Re: Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 by Alary: 12:47pm On Jan 30, 2013
Another upset tonight , Reading all the way grin grin grin̅
Re: Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 1:20pm On Jan 30, 2013
I see Chelsea winning this match...
But that's only if they were playing another opponent. Not the reading i know. I see reading getting the maximum 3 points from this match.
Re: Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 by obi4eze(m): 1:34pm On Jan 30, 2013
Afam4eva: I see Chelsea winning this match...
But that's only if they were playing another opponent. Not the reading i know. I see reading getting the maximum 3 points from this match.

cheesy cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 by vin4ever(m): 1:39pm On Jan 30, 2013
Hat-trik for Ba(29) . 3point for blues. [Over 2.5] #GBAM#
Re: Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 by humpito(m): 1:42pm On Jan 30, 2013
Chelsea all the way
Re: Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 by hoochay: 1:54pm On Jan 30, 2013
mukina2: Manager Brian McDermott is under no illusions about the task his Reading side will face against Chelsea, even if the Blues did narrowly escape FA Cup embarrassment at the weekend.

http://espnfc.com/en/preview/345846/preview.html?soccernet=true&cc=3888

MADAM PLS UNBARN ME NAH ABEG:BANGA SOUP N AVWENAGHA PLS NA,SUEN ABEG TELL UR MUD TO UNBARN ME NAH
Re: Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 by Janselem: 2:22pm On Jan 30, 2013
4reigningqueen: the new manager after Benitez
u can't be serious man
Re: Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 by ceeceeco: 3:06pm On Jan 30, 2013
Reading hasn't won chelsea since 1930 (83 years), & they'll want 2 throw everything @ chelsea in dis crunchy encounter. The Royals are 18th on d table & know that victory is all they need in dis game. I predict a difficult game 4 chelsea.
Re: Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 by Havilah93(m): 3:33pm On Jan 30, 2013
sure win!
Re: Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jan 30, 2013
I'm backing Chelsea for the 3 points.
But Real madrid v barca will be played at the same time; e be like say I go do split screen grin
Re: Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 by Havilah93(m): 8:45pm On Jan 30, 2013
CFCfan: I'm backing Chelsea for the 3 points.
But Real madrid v barca will be played at the same time; e be like say I go do split screen grin

watching 3 great matches at the same time will be difficult for me too
Re: Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 by Havilah93(m): 8:48pm On Jan 30, 2013
Chelsea are expected to line up in
the following 4-2-3-1 formation:
22 Ross Turnbull
28 Cesar Azpilicueta
2 Branislav Ivanovic
24 Gary Cahill
3 Ashley Cole
7 Ramires
8 Frank Lampard (c)
11 Oscar
10 Juan Mata
34 Ryan Bertrand
9 Fernando Torres
Substitutes: 40 Hilario , 19 Paulo
Ferreira , 26 John Terry , 57
Nathan Ake, 30 Yossi Benayoun,
21 Marko Marin , 29 Demba Ba.
Re: Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 by Havilah93(m): 8:50pm On Jan 30, 2013
abeg guys, if una no hear commentary for our match, no vex ooo grin
Re: Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 by Havilah93(m): 9:01pm On Jan 30, 2013
@ Red Light, if you are watching, be updating ooo
Re: Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 by Havilah93(m): 9:05pm On Jan 30, 2013
game on!!!

I guess undecided
Re: Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 by mukina2: 9:05pm On Jan 30, 2013
game on!
Re: Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 by RedLight1: 9:06pm On Jan 30, 2013
why toress again sad
Re: Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 by Havilah93(m): 9:07pm On Jan 30, 2013
freekick reading
Re: Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 by FBS: 9:09pm On Jan 30, 2013
So far them boys are just running around. grin
Re: Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 by Havilah93(m): 9:09pm On Jan 30, 2013
whats the situation of things?
Re: Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 by RedLight1: 9:10pm On Jan 30, 2013
ivanovic don dey madt again
Re: Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 by RedLight1: 9:14pm On Jan 30, 2013
ashley ramos
Re: Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 9:15pm On Jan 30, 2013
Havilah93:

watching 3 great matches at the same time will be difficult for me too
Why not watch the greatest. is there any match-up that can be better than the two giants from spain? I can't even believe you're here. Big boys are playing and you're follow chelsea and reading. SMH
Re: Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 by FBS: 9:20pm On Jan 30, 2013
Afam4eva:
Why not watch the greatest. is there any match-up that can be better than the two giants from spain? I can't even believe you're here. Big boys are playing and you're follow chelsea and reading. SMH
watching the Classico and nothing worthy of mention is happening there. Save 2 yellow cards and play acting. grin

even the Arsenal vs Liverpool match is far more interesting to watch right now. tongue
Re: Reading Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 30th January 2013 by FBS: 9:21pm On Jan 30, 2013
This match sef na wa. The boys are yet to wake up.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Utd Player 'Ryan Giggs' To Sue Twitter (and Possibly NL) For Exposing Him / Chelsea Vs Aston Villa (1 - 3) On Saturday 31st December 2011 / Manchester United Vs Fulham - FA Cup (4 - 1) On 26th Jan 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.