Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,545 members, 7,809,002 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:55 PM

Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments (6721 Views)

Federal Appointments: Buhari Didn’t Inform Me Of My Non-inclusion -onu / [UPATED] Abdusalami Panel Meets Buhari, Advocates Fairness In Anti-graft War / States Demand Equity, Fairness In Revenue Sharing Formula (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments by Donmams(m): 4:46pm On Jan 30, 2013
Abuja - President Goodluck Jonathan said on Wednesday in Abuja that his administration would ensure equity and fairness in appointment to political offices and employment into the Federal Civil Service.

The president gave the assurance at the swearing-in ceremony of seven members of the Federal Character Commission (FCC), a member of the Federal Civil Service Commission and two permanent secretaries.

The ceremony took place in the Council Chamber of the Presidential Villa before the commencement of the weekly Federal Executive Council meeting.

In a remark shortly after the appointees took the Oath of Office, Jonathan said he had observed that all the geo-political zones complained of being marginalised on federal appointments.

He said that he deliberately delayed some pending political appointments in order to ensure that the complaints of marginalisation already received were taken care of.

``We are in an era where all the geo-political zones complain about marginalisation. All the geo-political zones complain that they are not given appointments. In fact, we have some pending appointments because of that.

``I have told the Secretary to the Government of the Federation to do proper analysis and probably to wait and accumulate the number. Probably if we accumulate them up to 12, when we want to make the appointments, we will make sure that all the geo-political zones get two each.

“In that case, your conscience will be clear. That is why some appointments are pending, which I believe we will deal with this week. I think they are about 12 or so. We will make sure that all the geo-political zones are accommodated.”

Jonathan challenged the newly sworn-in officials, especially members of the FCC not only to be up and doing in their duties, but to also comply with the commission’s establishment statute.

``Also the Civil Service Commission should be fair to all Nigerians. In employing Nigerians, you must ensure that all the States have what is due to them because we also know that some States are more than others.

``So when you are balancing equality of States, you must also be mindful of the population of each state. You must be aware of the laws guiding your job,’’ he said.

The president also urged the appointees to learn how to relate with their colleagues and to see Nigeria as one entity.

The seven members of the FCC include, Mr Uche Romanus (Imo); former Speaker of Benue House of Assembly and the first female Speaker in Nigeria and West Africa, Dr Margaret Icheen and former Member of the House of Representatives from Bayelsa, Mr Clement Agie.

Others are former Commissioner for Information, Nasarawa State, Mr Alakayi Mamman; former Commissioner for Commerce and Industry, Bauchi State, Alhaji Yerima Giade; Dr Salihu Bello from Adamawa; and Alhaji Addo Ahmed, Jigawa.

Similarly, Dr Clement Ilo (Delta) and Dr Jemila Suara (Edo State) were sworn-in as federal permanent secretaries, while Alhaji Hassan Soko-Dabo (FCT), was sworn-in as member of the Federal Civil Service Commission. (NAN)

http://nigeria.news24.com/National/News/Jonathan-promises-equity-in-federal-appointments-20130130
Re: Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments by Afam4eva(m): 5:13pm On Jan 30, 2013
My only definition of fairness is that square pegs are put in square holes. Don't sacrifice merit on the alter of federal character.

9 Likes

Re: Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments by Bambela(m): 5:21pm On Jan 30, 2013
Good for them
Re: Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments by Guk: 5:25pm On Jan 30, 2013
Donmams: Abuja - President Goodluck Jonathan said on Wednesday in Abuja that his administration would ensure equity and fairness in appointment to political offices and employment into the Federal Civil Service.

The president gave the assurance at the swearing-in ceremony of seven members of the Federal Character Commission (FCC), a member of the Federal Civil Service Commission and two permanent secretaries.

The ceremony took place in the Council Chamber of the Presidential Villa before the commencement of the weekly Federal Executive Council meeting.

In a remark shortly after the appointees took the Oath of Office, Jonathan said he had observed that all the geo-political zones complained of being marginalised on federal appointments.

He said that he deliberately delayed some pending political appointments in order to ensure that the complaints of marginalisation already received were taken care of.

``We are in an era where all the geo-political zones complain about marginalisation. All the geo-political zones complain that they are not given appointments. In fact, we have some pending appointments because of that.

``I have told the Secretary to the Government of the Federation to do proper analysis and probably to wait and accumulate the number. Probably if we accumulate them up to 12, when we want to make the appointments, we will make sure that all the geo-political zones get two each.

“In that case, your conscience will be clear. That is why some appointments are pending, which I believe we will deal with this week. I think they are about 12 or so. We will make sure that all the geo-political zones are accommodated.”

Jonathan challenged the newly sworn-in officials, especially members of the FCC not only to be up and doing in their duties, but to also comply with the commission’s establishment statute.

``Also the Civil Service Commission should be fair to all Nigerians. In employing Nigerians, you must ensure that all the States have what is due to them because we also know that some States are more than others.

``So when you are balancing equality of States, you must also be mindful of the population of each state. You must be aware of the laws guiding your job,’’ he said.

The president also urged the appointees to learn how to relate with their colleagues and to see Nigeria as one entity.

The seven members of the FCC include, Mr Uche Romanus (Imo); former Speaker of Benue House of Assembly and the first female Speaker in Nigeria and West Africa, Dr Margaret Icheen and former Member of the House of Representatives from Bayelsa, Mr Clement Agie.

Others are former Commissioner for Information, Nasarawa State, Mr Alakayi Mamman; former Commissioner for Commerce and Industry, Bauchi State, Alhaji Yerima Giade; Dr Salihu Bello from Adamawa; and Alhaji Addo Ahmed, Jigawa.

Similarly, Dr Clement Ilo (Delta) and Dr Jemila Suara (Edo State) were sworn-in as federal permanent secretaries, while Alhaji Hassan Soko-Dabo (FCT), was sworn-in as member of the Federal Civil Service Commission. (NAN)

http://nigeria.news24.com/National/News/Jonathan-promises-equity-in-federal-appointments-20130130

I tire for GEJ o!!! When will this bros ever learn? He talks about fairness and his Fed Xter Comm does not reflect the 6 geo political zones. Someone pls help ds man

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments by Olugbenger(m): 5:33pm On Jan 30, 2013
Guk:

I tire for GEJ o!!! When will this bros ever learn? He talks about fairness and his Fed Xter Comm does not reflect the 6 geo political zones. Someone pls help ds man
he allocated it by shoes

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments by ibide(m): 5:42pm On Jan 30, 2013
But there is no urhobo in ur cabinet either now or before
Re: Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments by jt2010: 5:53pm On Jan 30, 2013
Guk:

That bros sabi mumu... from the name, I did not see anybody from the south west now, abi SW to be geo-political zone again!!!

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jan 30, 2013
Bambela: Good for them

How come none of d appointees is 4rm obollo agu agu? Is that a representation of d Federal character?
Re: Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jan 30, 2013

It is because of reasons such as the part in bold that our progress as a nation will remain painfully slow.

We need to understand that executive offices require leadership ability, administrative skills as well as relevant qualifications and experience in the field concerned. Continually sacrificing these important criteria at the altar of federal character and "fairness" is suicide. We are short-changing ourselves when we fail to appoint the best people into key positions.

For those who like to whine about "marginalization", I will have you know that it is the LEGISLATIVE and not the executive arm of government that should provide for ethnic/sectional representation at federal level. That is why we have senatorial districts and House constituencies in every state of the federation. I repeat, it is the LEGISLATIVE, NOT EXECUTIVE, arm of government that should cater for ethnic interests. Ministerial positions (and the civil service positions under them) MUST be left for the best, brightest and most capable.

Until we start understanding this basic principle, we're not going anywhere.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments by taharqa: 5:58pm On Jan 30, 2013
Guk:

IGNORANT noisemaker...the FCC is made up of 37 membas from each state of d Federatn, plus Abuja; these 7 are just joining them. There are already 6 membas from d SW in d commission... LEARN
Re: Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments by peacekeeper: 5:59pm On Jan 30, 2013
ibide: But there is no urhobo in ur cabinet either now or before

Mr. Man, must all tribes be in the Cabinet??

Do you know how many tribes we have in Nigeria??
Re: Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments by crackhouse(m): 6:00pm On Jan 30, 2013
what of Anambra/Enugu/Ebonyi? or is that Barrister Agbo of a man still there?. just asking.
Re: Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments by peacekeeper: 6:02pm On Jan 30, 2013
Nice!

Just that they should ensure that the best brains are put in those positions..
Re: Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments by nagoma(m): 6:09pm On Jan 30, 2013
Trouble Maker: Nice!

Just that they should ensure that the best brains are put in those positions..

Beware of fake certificates and wuru-wuru PhDs! They are killing us already!!
Re: Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jan 30, 2013
Donmams: Abuja - President Goodluck Jonathan said on Wednesday in Abuja that his administration would ensure equity and fairness in appointment to political offices and employment into the Federal Civil Service.

Re: Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments by doctokwus: 6:20pm On Jan 30, 2013
At d risk of sounding like a broken record,I must say dis man called a president is damn too petty& mediocre in his actions and utterances
Re: Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments by ibide(m): 6:23pm On Jan 30, 2013
Trouble Maker:

Mr. Man, must all tribes be in the Cabinet??

Do you know how many tribes we have in Nigeria??
but the urhobos are the fifth largest tribe in nigeria
Re: Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments by kaboninc(m): 6:26pm On Jan 30, 2013
To be fair, I think the president is doing a good job. I wish we know what it means to govern a nation as this. So many tribes competing for one form of favour, recognition and relevance or the other. Being a leader means you have to take into consideration of these interests, everyone has to see you as one detribalized individual whose concern is for the benefit of all.

In addition, in considering these appointments, merit is also considered. Say two persons from a region are competing for a post, merit will be used as a criteria for the appointment.
Re: Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments by abdulkayus(m): 6:28pm On Jan 30, 2013
i cant find any south westerner here ooooo, or are dey nt part of nigeria again. GEJ is tryin his best to lick d buttock of d north and sideline d SW. God is watchin u ooooo.
Re: Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments by peacekeeper: 6:32pm On Jan 30, 2013
ibide: but the urhobos are the fifth largest tribe in nigeria

Mr. Man are you not aware that prior to 2007 elections the URHOBO Leaders sold their birth-right to Ibori n Uduaghan??

The Urhobos have become a nonentity in Delta State.

So don't blame GEJ for not recognising the Urhobos, blame ur Urhobo leaders who sold their future and that of their children for a bottle of Schnapp and a plate of pepper-soup..

Besides I'm Urhobo as well...

Re: Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments by Omen100(m): 6:48pm On Jan 30, 2013
ibide: But there is no urhobo in ur cabinet either now or before

Thank U my brother, we the Urhobos has sidelined & pushed aside from the Main strain both in delta state & the federal system, maybe the end of the administration, they will pick up one quack urhobor like they did in the last administration, when Gbagi was picked, we are watching
angry

Re: Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments by stupor(m): 6:49pm On Jan 30, 2013
In political appointments,you don't guarantee for fairness,but for Utmost truth and fairness !

British House of Commons ! The Parliamentary Decision Rule.

Haba !
Re: Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments by obi123: 7:49pm On Jan 30, 2013
and my name is Roger Ramjet
Re: Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments by AustineE1: 7:52pm On Jan 30, 2013
jt2010:

That bros sabi mumu... from the name, I did not see anybody from the south west now, abi SW to be geo-political zone again!!!
..i guess,thats paying the price for supporting a regional party!vote PDP the winning party,come 2015!

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments by Nobody: 8:25pm On Jan 30, 2013
Hope am not derailing the thread,but may I ask why certain Fedral appointments are reserved for people from certain parts of Nigeria,while merit is sacrificed and more qualified and competent people are sacked @sacrificed to make way for the accension of mediocre and incompetent candidates?
A clear example is the Nigeria Customs Service where the position of Comptroller General is reserved for candidates from the North.
Re: Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments by Buchianom(m): 9:37pm On Jan 30, 2013
crackhouse: what of Anambra/Enugu/Ebonyi? or is that Barrister Agbo of a man still there?. just asking.

Do U want to take over frm him?
Re: Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments by 4chi: 10:12pm On Jan 30, 2013
Hmmm..... Even the federal character commission does not have a Yoruba man included....unlike the the crybabies, we will not whine and cry all over the place shouting marginalization.2015 is around the corner, omo kobokobo yi a gba!!
Re: Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments by kalishay: 10:15pm On Jan 30, 2013
I don't give way to tribe being a criteria for appointment into politcal offices..at same time ebele jonathan has created many more offices for appointment,which upto now there is no brighter day for nigeria,we the youth are angry n that anger won't b taken with liniency,watch out for ur government n cabinet,create job uppourtunity for millions of unemployed graduate..no mater how lil it is cos idle mind is sure the devil workshop. angry

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments by Wendyslim(f): 10:20pm On Jan 30, 2013
Story story , after he has been given thousands of slot.
Re: Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments by BetaThings: 10:48pm On Jan 30, 2013
Austine.E:

..i guess,thats paying the price for supporting a regional party!vote PDP the winning party,come 2015!
Is this the definition of fairness he promised? Coercion to support the PDP
Anambra has voted APGA since 2003
Imo has now voted APGA in both 2007 and 2011
So what will happen to them too?
Re: Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments by 1121: 11:27pm On Jan 30, 2013
abdulkayus: i cant find any south westerner here ooooo, or are dey nt part of nigeria again. GEJ is tryin his best to lick d buttock of d north and sideline d SW. God is watchin u ooooo.
not only is God watching him, his judgment is fast coming. Let him just continue that way. He has mistakened the quitness/nonviolence nature of the southwesterner 4 stupidity.
Re: Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments by mensdept: 11:33pm On Jan 30, 2013
All this federal character bull.

Nigerian mindset is very local for most people that come from there. Just about everything revolves around. "my family", "my pastor", "this tribe against that tribe".

Dayum.

Europeans, the people that we have so muched patterned our life around- from their style of faith, clothing, way of talking, Nollywood films, and so on, have for the most part left being local 200 years ago.

Lets develop our towns, regions, schools, airports, malls, streets, and our GODDAYUM minds for a change.

Or are we really from the NI.GGA Area., courtesy of British Airway

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Saw This In My Polling Unit,is It Allowed ?? (picture) / Stay On Top Of The News... Get The Pdf Of All Newspapers In Nigeria Daily. / Lagos Generates N436bn In 2016, Seeks N100bn From Capital Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.