Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,907 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:58 AM

How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter (53683 Views)

Pls Help: Catalytic Converter Missing In Exhaust Pipe / Stollen Catalytic Converter / Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by honmusa(m): 2:45pm On Apr 08, 2017
conyema12:
I really would love to try this on my toyota rav4 V6 engine, Have thrown 2 brand new O2 sensors to the engine yet the light is thrown back at me and the fuel economy is very bad.

Will it be done on the 2 downstream sensors since i have a V6 engine configuration.

cc ikenna and the other gurus
Kindly note that removing the cel will not even add or remove anything from your fuel economy .It just a way of getting rid of CEL due to catalytic code P0420 .Even if you replace with suitable catalyst don't expect such a significant fuel improvement .I
Look for the issue causing the high fuel consumption by going for the needed diagnostics test.

1 Like

Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by Alvin007: 5:42pm On Apr 08, 2017
chuka5000:
please, did the CEL come up again?

wanna do same

No...it didn't...but even if it does, the fuel economy won't be affected.
Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by chuka5000(m): 3:34pm On Apr 09, 2017
Alvin007:

No...it didn't...but even if it does, the fuel economy won't be affected.

cool, a MIL thanks bro. doing same soon
Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by J0hnTrevolt(m): 3:24am On Apr 10, 2017
honmusa:

Kindly note that removing the cel will not even add or remove anything from your fuel economy .It just a way of getting rid of CEL due to catalytic code P0420 .Even if you replace with suitable catalyst don't expect such a significant fuel improvement .I
Look for the issue causing the high fuel consumption by going for the needed diagnostics test.
Honorable abeg help me. My avalon 01 was scanned and it brought forth these codes.. P0300. P0301. P0303. P0305. Please I just need a second opinion. The mechanic says I need to change all the spark plugs and 02sensor. I Googled all d codes and dint find 02sensor fault relationships to the codes rather I saw faulty spark plugs. plz help me check this out. Tnx
Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by honmusa(m): 7:19am On Apr 10, 2017
J0hnTrevolt:
Honorable abeg help me. My avalon 01 was scanned and it brought forth these codes.. P0300. P0301. P0303. P0305. Please I just need a second opinion. The mechanic says I need to change all the spark plugs and 02sensor. I Googled all d codes and dint find 02sensor fault relationships to the codes rather I saw faulty spark plugs. plz help me check this out. Tnx
Ask your mechanic to show u the evidence that the O2 sensor is faulty and if his reason his not convincing enough seems u need to change him to avoid buying parts that is not faulty.
I doubt if the misfire u have is due to spark plugs cos u have the misfires on all the cylinders in bank 2.Check for intake leak on that particular bank .

1 Like

Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by J0hnTrevolt(m): 12:13pm On Apr 10, 2017
honmusa:

Ask your mechanic to show u the evidence that the O2 sensor is faulty and if his reason his not convincing enough seems u need to change him to avoid buying parts that is not faulty.
I doubt if the misfire u have is due to spark plugs cos u have the misfires on all the cylinders in bank 2.Check for intake leak on that particular bank .
Tnx Boss. I just dnt want to spend money on a parts dat might be Ok.
Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by yomingr(m): 10:04am On Jun 20, 2017
My cat actually went bad with the car's engine rattling at rev 4,500 "that knocking sound" So I decided to replace it. Yes the car gained on "jet off" acceleration but fuel consumption is still high @ 16mpg. Got a p135 directly pointing to bad o2 sensor heater 2 days after replacement. So I changed sensor heater only to get another p0420 "inefficient catalytic"'. A further scan on this showes a bad o2 sensor down stream. Will the defouler work for a bad o2 sensor? or should I just as well change it?
Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by micklplus(m): 10:14am On Jun 20, 2017
yomingr:
My cat actually went bad with the car's engine rattling at rev 4,500 "that knocking sound" So I decided to replace it. Yes the car gained on "jet off" acceleration but fuel consumption is still high @ 16mpg. Got a p135 directly pointing to bad o2 sensor heater 2 days after replacement. So I changed sensor heater only to get another p0420 "inefficient catalytic"'. A further scan on this showes a bad o2 sensor down stream. Will the defouler work for a bad o2 sensor? or should I just as well change it?

GAZZUZZ

Honmusa, Your client don show oo
Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by ChiefSweetus: 11:52pm On Jun 21, 2017
shocked
Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by captainking(m): 12:41am On Jun 22, 2017
Alvin007:

Check your email.
boss.. Pls mail me... Or WhatsApp me 08140077394.. Where can I also buy this spark plug adaptor in lagos..... Thanks.
Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by walestega(m): 4:07am On Nov 25, 2017
@Captainking, please where can I get the spark plug non foulers in Lagos? How can I reach you please.
Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by gambus007(m): 5:42am On Nov 25, 2017
walestega:
@Captainking, please where can I get the spark plug non foulers in Lagos? How can I reach you please.
U sent me email notification. I have what u request for but in Abuja.if u can pay for shipping. Chat me on 08032953192

Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by captainking(m): 5:43am On Nov 25, 2017
walestega:
you can get it from where they sell auto parts.. Though it's known by a particular name which I have forgotten. I will remember and get back to you..
Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by captainking(m): 5:46am On Nov 25, 2017
walestega:
and it's very cheap... Like the pics posted... That spark plug adaptor if for this popular ford bus or so.. It's everywhere.. But if you tell them.. They may not know it.. So.. Show them the pics posted on this forum... And they would tell u the street name and for which vehicle.. Then.. You would see that it's everywhere...

1 Like

Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by charlesadeoye(m): 10:55am On Nov 25, 2017
Its called adaptor...locally

1 Like

Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by walestega(m): 8:11pm On Nov 25, 2017
Thanks all. Eventually got it but yet to fix it.
Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by dadebayo1(m): 3:15pm On Aug 13, 2021
Kjnwancaro:

My way far small o. Akobo

Please i will like to also do the same. Just came across the thread now.. How can you be of help please? I also stay in Akobo. Hope you are still in Ibadan too?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oyinbo Woman Finds Massive Python In Her Car Garage(graphic Video) / BMW Trolls Mercedes On Halloween, Dresses AMG E53 Up To Look Like BMW M5 / Reason Why Is Important To Vacuum A System Before Refilling Of Gas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.