Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,577 members, 7,801,653 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:33 PM

Are Kelvin Okafor's Portraits Fake? - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Are Kelvin Okafor's Portraits Fake? (6747 Views)

Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures / Getting Attention-the Incredible Sketches Of Nigerian Artist, Kelvin Okafor / Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Kelvin Okafor's Portraits Fake? by Charlesnerd: 8:21am On Jan 31, 2013
Ok....I would say I was pretty surprised when I saw his portraits,those pictures are nearly unbelievable and I felt this was another Michelangelo or Leonardo Da vinci in the making,those pictures ,if real are the product of a genius and master painter.I decided to do a background check on him to ascertain how hes able to produce those amazing pictures and this is what I found.

Transcripts of a conversation between him and someone who accused him of being a fraud and master con artist.Interestingly,there are plenty of other such accusations and attacks that he had to shut down some of his social media accounts because of the hate he claimed he was receiving from some section of the public,mostly from aspiring painters like him.

In all these,one thing comes to mind,Is this another case of Emeagwali or a typical case of oyibo bad belle?..only time will tell.

Below is a transcript of his conversation with a fellow artist and Painter

KELVIN:
I deactivated my account from devianart. I wasn't removed. I was receiving too much negativity there and felt uncomfortable logging on and always receiving hateful messages.

I haven't deceived anyone. As God is my witness my works are genuine. It was a personal decision to remove myself from that website. It was a selfish decision to make especially knowing that others appreciated my works but it was decision I had to make.

You are also a good person and a great artist. I wish you the best of luck also.

Painter:
If you continue to purpetrate this fraud on people we will follow you everywhere and continue to report the truth. You continue to lie. You did not just deactivate your account because of negativity, you had a piece of artwork removed because the staff at DA believed it to be fraudelant.

We have proof! You were a good con-artist for awhile but it's finally caught up to you. And if you go on your FB pages telling people you left because of the negativity, we'll prove your a liar with the email from DA staff.

KELVIN:
I removed my works and I received that message as soon as I deleted that picture. Ask the DA staff what happened! A member reported my Eva Mendes drawing and as soon as I deleted that drawing that message automatically responded.

I am so disappointed with you Robb. You're calling me a liar and fraud when I'm honestly not. Completed unfair.

End of conversation

Comments from Painter

He's now blocked me from having converstion with him through private messages. So do we have actual confirmation that it was the staff that removed it or he removed it? Either way he's a liar but just trying to figure out if he's holding onto this lie as long as he can.

By the way, I'm absolutely convinced now that, he or others working with him, are running fraudulent accounts on Facebook. This last reply to the conversation that showed his stuff was removed by Deviant by a guy named John Balestrino was this:

That Kelvin Okafor is a master at what he does, He's on my top ten list of masters so far. He makes it look too easy. I wish It came like that for me.

ARe you kidding me? That's got to be the most fake post I've ever seen. How, in the midst of all this, is that the response you come up with?

Click on this link and read through the comments http://tajus.deviantart.com/journal/Great-or-fake-artist-What-do-you-think-Update-224195213?offset=0#comments
Re: Are Kelvin Okafor's Portraits Fake? by spywareczar(m): 8:34am On Jan 31, 2013
I suspected đǡț too, coz all his drawings/paintins doesn't luk lyk its actually drawn/painted, its more lyk a grayscale bitmap image ãήϑ then he worked on D̶̲̥̅̊ levels
Re: Are Kelvin Okafor's Portraits Fake? by GraphicsPlus(m): 9:01am On Jan 31, 2013
[quote
author=spywareczar]I suspected đǡț too, coz all his drawings/paintins
doesn't luk lyk its actually drawn/painted, its more lyk a grayscale
bitmap image ãήϑ then he worked on D̶̲̥̅̊ levels[/quote]

Just go and sit down. U like suspecting. This is a guy featured by bbc in their website. And u ar there suspecting.
Re: Are Kelvin Okafor's Portraits Fake? by spywareczar(m): 9:08am On Jan 31, 2013
GraphicsPlus:

Just go and sit down. U like suspecting. This is a guy featured by bbc in their website. And u ar there suspecting.
webinar ϊƒ I shud start ωϊ† Ɣøµ eeh, dnt lemme get ur time
Re: Are Kelvin Okafor's Portraits Fake? by GraphicsPlus(m): 9:33am On Jan 31, 2013
spywareczar: webinar ϊƒ I shud start ωϊ† Ɣøµ eeh, dnt lemme get ur time

U ar just a stupid kaduna boy. Go to hell. U ar the webinar. Mumu.
Re: Are Kelvin Okafor's Portraits Fake? by spywareczar(m): 10:40am On Jan 31, 2013
GraphicsPlus:

U ar just a stupid kaduna boy. Go to hell. U ar the webinar. Mumu.
webinar Ɣøµ can run, but Ɣøµ cnt hide,
Re: Are Kelvin Okafor's Portraits Fake? by GraphicsPlus(m): 11:02am On Jan 31, 2013
webinar, u can hide but u cant run. akwuya.
Re: Are Kelvin Okafor's Portraits Fake? by lightheart(m): 11:12am On Jan 31, 2013
@spywareczar&graphicsplus, we are still talking Kelvin Okafor, innit?
Re: Are Kelvin Okafor's Portraits Fake? by spywareczar(m): 11:32am On Jan 31, 2013
GraphicsPlus: webinar, u can hide but u cant run. akwuya.
Ɣøµ can kip on insulting me, its nt gon change anytin, Ɣøµ re only mad coz I xposed who Ɣøµ truly
Re: Are Kelvin Okafor's Portraits Fake? by GraphicsPlus(m): 11:52am On Jan 31, 2013
kelvin okafor is a talented nigerian doing us proud in uk. check all the uk press, they are honouring him. from bbc to guardian uk to mail today. this week, the portrait of the late monarch of Jordan that he painted wil be presented to his widow.

some stupid and jealous guys on deviantart are not happy wit his genius, so they started fighting him. some even hav a flimsy excuse of calling him a fraudster simply because he is charging too high for his paintings. his last charge was 10,000 pounds.

kelvin is a graduate of fine art from one of uk's best universities. he started drawing from childhood. he spends 80 to 100 hours on each work.

humans criticize what beats their imagination. kelvin is a product of God's gift and hardwork.

and some idiots on Nairaland that havnt attended any university, hav not taken any course in graphics, didnt know diff bw raster and vector, that rely heavily on youtube tutorials to do anything, are here suspecting a graduate of fine art and a master of years of hardwork.

5 Likes

Re: Are Kelvin Okafor's Portraits Fake? by GraphicsPlus(m): 11:54am On Jan 31, 2013
[quote
author=spywareczar] Ɣøµ can kip on insulting me, its nt gon change
anytin, Ɣøµ re only mad coz I xposed who Ɣøµ truly[/quote]

u can keep writing and calling me webinar, it's nt going to change the fact that am better than u in everything.
Re: Are Kelvin Okafor's Portraits Fake? by spywareczar(m): 12:03pm On Jan 31, 2013
GraphicsPlus:

u can keep writing and calling me webinar, it's nt going to change the fact that am better than u in everything.
HAHAHAHOHOHO!!! DONT MAKE ME LAUGH
Re: Are Kelvin Okafor's Portraits Fake? by babysnogls: 12:49pm On Jan 31, 2013
Taaa! Both of u shld stop it!
Re: Are Kelvin Okafor's Portraits Fake? by timpaker(m): 4:20pm On Jan 31, 2013
Too many haterz in this world.

what u can't do, others can do it better.

You either improve on yourself or you applaud the person for having such a rare talent

In Young6ix voice "...account balance dey rise like my enemy BP"
Re: Are Kelvin Okafor's Portraits Fake? by Ejine(m): 9:05pm On Jan 31, 2013
I got this link on him on DeviantArt. It's pretty interesting. Happened way back in 2010

http://priscillaw.deviantart.com/journal/Deviant-Art-sent-15-automated-messages-UPDATE-Pt-3-223768438

What it looks like, to be frank, is just a bunch of bitter white kids angry he outshines them and has more fans than they all do combined. For instance, one of the losers DavieDave went like: "What pains me is that we put so much work in our drawings, yet blah blah blah".

If they were really convinced he wasn't as good as they were, they wouldn't be shamelessly trying to reach all outlets (including his FB fanpage) in a desperate bid to tell others he's fake.

What infact is the truth, is that it consumes, burns and kills them inside that his drawings sell for 6000+ pounds while they idle around DeviantArt with their meaningless Sonic-The-Hedgehog drawings nobody cares to see.

Fast forward 3 years later, the world-renowned BBC (which contains skilled journalists and professional digital art critics capable of sniffing out falsities should there be any) has picked up young Kelvin Okafor's work, found NOTHiNG fake about it, and has decided to broadcast this young man's impressive talent to the whole world.

And where are the erstwhile keyboard warriors and DaVinci's of DeviantArt fame? Dead and forgotten in the bowels of cyberspace irrelevance where they rightfully belong.

4 Likes

Re: Are Kelvin Okafor's Portraits Fake? by GraphicsPlus(m): 9:12pm On Jan 31, 2013
@Ejine, thank u for that intelligent comment.
Re: Are Kelvin Okafor's Portraits Fake? by spywareczar(m): 10:19pm On Jan 31, 2013
@Ejine Alright....*•.¸( *•.¸♥¸.•*´)¸.•*. «´¨`°•.◦ †нªηк's◦.•°´¨`» ¸.•* (¸.•*´♥`*•.,)`*• A lot!!!! Then he ɪ̣̝̇§ indeed an incredible artist, coz his drawings looks so perfect that I hardly believe they were drawn, i tot they were just grayscale images
Re: Are Kelvin Okafor's Portraits Fake? by sportfeva(m): 12:16am On Feb 01, 2013
By the way, check out my profile picture. I am working on an info website very soon to ready.
Re: Are Kelvin Okafor's Portraits Fake? by sportfeva(m): 12:17am On Feb 01, 2013
By the way, check out my profile picture. I am working on an info website very soon.
Re: Are Kelvin Okafor's Portraits Fake? by sportfeva(m): 9:18am On Feb 01, 2013
Just went through his works and to be sincere they fabulous and real. Kelvin should be focus and not mind haters with shallow minds. Instead of them improving on their skills, they are busy making you more popular and money. I will advice you to always show work in progress pix of your works because I pass through such a challenge as some client don't believe my work is real. Some had to me watch live doing my thing. So, a work in progress pix could be better, shame doubters and put confidence in your prospective clients.
Re: Are Kelvin Okafor's Portraits Fake? by AyBelly: 9:46pm On Jul 13, 2013
spywareczar: webinar ϊƒ I shud start ωϊ† Ɣøµ eeh, dnt lemme get ur time
SpyWareidiot or whatever you call yourself, don't let your stupidity get all of you as it has already gotten all of you. The dude is talented and his works are genuine, Period!!! If the brits, with all their high tech art verification machines( .̮ the movie 'Gambit' for reference) aren't complaining, then who the heck are you to open your filthy mouth Mtcheeeeew
Re: Are Kelvin Okafor's Portraits Fake? by spywareczar(m): 7:59am On Jul 14, 2013
AyBelly:
SpyWareidiot or whatever you call yourself, don't let your stupidity get all of you as it has already gotten all of you. The dude is talented and his works are genuine, Period!!! If the brits, with all their high tech art verification machines( .̮ the movie 'Gambit' for reference) aren't complaining, then who the heck are you to open your filthy mouth Mtcheeeeew
I've changed my attitude towards pple lyk Ɣøµ on nairaland. lucky Ɣøµ
Re: Are Kelvin Okafor's Portraits Fake? by VillageBoi(m): 1:04pm On Jul 14, 2013
Na wa o! Nigerians that 99.99% of the time will never do ANY research and jump on the hating band-wagon like hot akara dey for our mouth... anyway shaa na we still rule as no one on the planet does hating and negativity pass us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VZqg-xLopI
Re: Are Kelvin Okafor's Portraits Fake? by emmabest2000(m): 10:10am On Jan 07, 2014
Bia nwoke obia n'egbu , kedu ka eke si anya anwu na nkoro gi ? grin obia n'egbu ndi ji nwa uyom merie ndi ji nnekwu , ekene kwa oooo cheesy
Re: Are Kelvin Okafor's Portraits Fake? by cgniyi(m): 10:58am On Jan 08, 2014
Amazing stuff! shocked shocked shocked
I wouldn't blame anyone for doubting the genuinity of those drawings.They are just too real
His blog contains shots of work in progress http://kelvinokaforart..com

(1) (Reply)

Pencil Arts Should Drop There Number Here For Whatsapp Drawing Competition! / If You Want To Learn Photoshop Or Corel Draw Please Indicate. / Outdoor Advertising Options In Lagos State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.