Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,775 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:45 PM

Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? (5918 Views)

TRINITARIANS, How Do You Honestly Interpret This Verse In The Bible? / 87% Of Christians Probably Don't Know This Verse In The Bible. @pix / Crumbs Under The Table: Explain This Verse Please! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? by Acidosis(m): 8:40pm On Jan 31, 2013
"A bribe works like magic. Whoever uses it will prosper!"
Proverbs 17: 8...

It is wise for us to be reminded once again that we are in the book of PROVERBS… and proverbs are little nuggets of truth.
a. They are not essays.
b. They are not the final word on a subject.
c. They don’t discuss the truth from every angle.
d. Every one is different. Some are pregnant with meaning. Others make a simple statement.
e. They are all designed to make us THINK..
Re: Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? by Nobody: 8:47pm On Jan 31, 2013
Acidosis: "A bribe works like magic. Whoever uses it will prosper!"
Proverbs 17: 8...

It is wise for us to be reminded once again that we are in the book of PROVERBS… and proverbs are little nuggets of truth.
a. They are not essays.
b. They are not the final word on a subject.
c. They don’t discuss the truth from every angle.
d. Every one is different. Some are pregnant with meaning. Others make a simple statement.
e. They are all designed to make us THINK..

Bribe makes you jump a long queue.

Bribe makes you evade jail

Bribe makes you pass a difficult examination

Bribe gives you upper hand.

How else do you want it explained to you. Police are benefiting from it and so are the priests and pastors .

Give Yahweh a bribe and yea shall go to heaven
Re: Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? by Acidosis(m): 8:49pm On Jan 31, 2013
^ ^ I don't need atheists on my thread, oga !
Re: Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? by Nobody: 9:53am On Feb 01, 2013
good morning Acid
Translation direct from the Hebrew is:
"A bribe seems like a charm to him who uses it; He succeeds at every turn."

This seems to praise bribes, but it probably describes a course of behavior that seems valuable, but is really destructive.

Consider who is speaking, Solomon, he was a king, a politician. The "gift" is a bribe,. If you can bribe your politicians or foes, you prosper (temporarily) by doing so.

To put it in today's perspective, think of someone buying their way out of trouble.

Another translation would be "A bribe is as a precious stone in the eyes of him that hath it; Whither soever it turneth, it prospereth."

In other words, officials are very often corrupt and take bribes smiley
Re: Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? by Acidosis(m): 12:58pm On Feb 01, 2013
~vicky~:
good morning Acid
Translation direct from the Hebrew is:
"A bribe seems like a charm to him who uses it; He succeeds at every turn."

This seems to praise bribes, but it probably describes a course of behavior that seems valuable, but is really destructive.

Consider who is speaking, Solomon, he was a king, a politician. The "gift" is a bribe,. If you can bribe your politicians or foes, you prosper (temporarily) by doing so.

To put it in today's perspective, think of someone buying their way out of trouble.

Another translation would be "A bribe is as a precious stone in the eyes of him that hath it; Whither soever it turneth, it prospereth."

In other words, officials are very often corrupt and take bribes smiley

wow... I've been looking for a better explanation for long..

Thanks vicky , I really appreciate..
Re: Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? by Nobody: 1:05pm On Feb 01, 2013
^^^
ya welcome smiley

1 Like

Re: Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Feb 01, 2013
BRAH YOU NEED TO QUIT READING SATANIC BIBLES. SOME BIBLES HAVE BEEN TAMPERED WITH. KJV IIS THE ONLY GOOD BIBLE. IN THE KJV THE VERSE IS

PROVERBS 17 VS 8 A gift is as a precious stone in the eyes of him that hath it: whithersoever it turneth, it prospereth

1 Like

Re: Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? by moredendisc: 8:43pm On Feb 01, 2013
obadiah777:

BRAH YOU NEED TO QUIT READING SATANIC BIBLES. SOME BIBLES HAVE BEEN TAMPERED WITH. KJV IIS THE ONLY GOOD BIBLE. IN THE KJV THE VERSE IS

PROVERBS 17 VS 8 A gift is as a precious stone in the eyes of him that hath it: whithersoever it turneth, it prospereth

@obadiah777

Brah, be wary of being a KJV-onlyist. angry angry

KJV too is no saint, as it has it's own fair share of errancies

Given the time of day, KJV 8-9 times out of 10, it is OK
Re: Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? by Nobody: 1:00pm On Feb 02, 2013
moredendisc:

@obadiah777

Brah, be wary of being a KJV-onlyist. angry angry

KJV too is no saint, as it has it's own fair share of errancies

Given the time of day, KJV 8-9 times out of 10, it is OK

CHIEF, IF YOU KNEW THE STORY OF THE KJV YOU WOULD RETRACT YOUR STATEMENT. AND IF YOU COMPARE THE ORIGINAL MANUSCRIPTS WITH BIBLES, KJV IS THE MOST ACCURATE.
Re: Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? by ooman(m): 1:19pm On Feb 02, 2013
It simply means bribe is good and acceptable according to religion's sense
Re: Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? by moredendisc: 1:37pm On Feb 02, 2013
obadiah777:

CHIEF, IF YOU KNEW THE STORY OF THE KJV YOU WOULD RETRACT YOUR STATEMENT.

AND IF YOU COMPARE THE ORIGINAL MANUSCRIPTS WITH BIBLES, KJV IS THE MOST ACCURATE.

@obadiah777

I dey laugh OBJ style smiley

Selective perception in action, hmm,

disregarding & shrugging off ". . . KJV too is no saint, has it's own fair share of errancies. Given the time of day, KJV 8-9 times out of 10, it is OK"

"KJV IS THE MOST ACCURATE" is not a license to ONLY use KJV.

There's a time and a place for everything, KJV is not exempted
Re: Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? by Nobody: 1:41pm On Feb 02, 2013
moredendisc:

@obadiah777

I dey laugh OBJ style smiley

Selective perception in action, hmm,

disregarding ". . . KJV too is no saint, has it's own fair share of errancies. Given the time of day, KJV 8-9 times out of 10, it is OK" smiley

"KJV IS THE MOST ACCURATE" is not a license to ONLY use KJV.

There's a time and a place for everything, KJV is not exempted
DUNNO BOUT YOU CHIEF BUT MY DOUBLE EDGED SWORD HAS TO BE VERY SHARP. WHATS THE POINT IN GOING TO WAR WITH BLUNT KNIFE ? THE WORDS IN THE BIBLE ARE LIFE, THEY ARE LIKE A DOUBLE EDGED SWORD THAT PIERCES THE ASUNDER OF ANY ENEMY. THEY CUT THROUGH MARROW AND SOUL. SO WHY WOULD YOU WANT A BLUNT KNIFE ? CHIEF, THE KJV IS THE ONLY SHARP KNIFE OUT THERE. YOU CANT BE READING BOOTLEGGED BIBLES SMDH grin
Re: Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? by moredendisc: 2:02pm On Feb 02, 2013
obadiah777:

DUNNO BOUT YOU CHIEF BUT MY DOUBLE EDGED SWORD HAS TO BE VERY SHARP.
WHATS THE POINT IN GOING TO WAR WITH BLUNT KNIFE ? THE WORDS IN THE BIBLE ARE LIFE, THEY ARE LIKE A DOUBLE EDGED SWORD THAT PIERCES THE ASUNDER OF ANY ENEMY.
THEY CUT THROUGH MARROW AND SOUL. SO WHY WOULD YOU WANT A BLUNT KNIFE ?
CHIEF, THE KJV IS THE ONLY SHARP KNIFE OUT THERE. YOU CANT BE READING BOOTLEGGED BIBLES SMDH grin

@obadiah777

You err brah, if KJV is all you have in your kit, then you err profusely sad sad

No doubt KJV is one mama jama artillery, that carries itself well ONLY when on par

During the few odd moments when it isn't, then referencing other translations (e.g. NIV, ISV etc etc) is required when/where it is mistranslated and hence not producing the correct effect

The other translations are as legit as KJV, obviously the politics, theology, motives, allegiance etc etc differ

US Marines, are they armed with a weapon or weaponry?
Re: Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Feb 02, 2013
moredendisc:

@obadiah777

You err brah, if KJV is all you have in your kit, then you err profusely sad sad

No doubt KJV is one mama jama artillery, that carries itself well ONLY when on par

During the few odd moments when it isn't, then referencing other translations (e.g. NIV, ISV etc etc) is required when/where it is mistranslated and hence not producing the correct effect

The other translations are as legit as KJV, obviously the politics, theology, motives, allegiance etc etc differ

US Marines, are they armed with a weapon or weaponry?
YOU DO ERR CHIEF MOREDENDISC. IN FACT CHECK OUT THIS LINK http://www.godlovespeople.com/bible/corrupt_versions.htm
Re: Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? by moredendisc: 3:57pm On Feb 02, 2013
obadiah777:

YOU DO ERR CHIEF MOREDENDISC. IN FACT CHECK OUT THIS LINK http://www.godlovespeople.com/bible/corrupt_versions.htm

IT IS YOU WHO DO ERR CHIEF obadiah777, if you are sticking ONLY with KJV

IN FACT CHECK OUT THIS LINK http://www.biblestudy.org/basicart/bible-errors.html

like a broken record ". . . KJV too is no saint, has it's own fair share of errancies. Given the time of day, KJV 8-9 times out of 10, it is OK"

The last word shall be yours smiley

# Shame I couldn't locate my preferred referral link from my bookmarks
Re: Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? by Acidosis(m): 4:11pm On Feb 02, 2013
I appreciate your efforts @all...
Re: Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? by Ishilove: 4:30pm On Feb 02, 2013
obadiah777: YOU DO ERR CHIEF MOREDENDISC. IN FACT CHECK OUT THIS LINK http://www.godlovespeople.com/bible/corrupt_versions.htm
e be like sey na 'err' dey reign for dis thread.
Re: Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Feb 02, 2013
moredendisc:

IT IS YOU WHO DO ERR CHIEF obadiah777, if you are sticking ONLY with KJV

IN FACT CHECK OUT THIS LINK http://www.biblestudy.org/basicart/bible-errors.html

like a broken record ". . . KJV too is no saint, has it's own fair share of errancies. Given the time of day, KJV 8-9 times out of 10, it is OK"

The last word shall be yours smiley

# Shame I couldn't locate my preferred referral link from my bookmarks
BRUV YOU POSTED A LINK THAT IS SUPPORTING MY STANCE SMDH grin WHY SHOOT YOURSELF IN THE FOOT ?
Re: Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Feb 02, 2013
Ishilove:
e be like sey na 'err' dey reign for dis thread.
YOU DO ERR THINKING 'ERRING' IS REIGNING. WHAT IS REIGNING IS THE AUTHENTICITY OF OP'S BIBLE AND THE AUTHENTICITY OF MOREDENDISC'S OPINION grin
Re: Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? by moredendisc: 9:05pm On Feb 02, 2013
obadiah777:

BRUV YOU POSTED A LINK THAT IS SUPPORTING MY STANCE SMDH grin WHY SHOOT YOURSELF IN THE FOOT ?

obadiah777:

YOU DO ERR THINKING 'ERRING' IS REIGNING. WHAT IS REIGNING IS THE AUTHENTICITY OF OP'S BIBLE AND THE AUTHENTICITY OF MOREDENDISC'S OPINION grin

Oh yeah. You really think so

Anyway all am saying is, don't put all your eggs in one basket. . .

for the last time without again sounding like a broken record

". . . KJV too is no saint, has it's own fair share of errancies. Given the time of day, KJV 8 to 9 times out of 10, it is OK"

Snips from http://www.biblestudy.org/basicart/bible-errors.html

. . . The King James translators did a marvelous job with the materials they had.
While this article is necessary to point out the KJV text that is errorneous,
it should be noted that the errors, omissions and additions made by the RSV, NIV,
and other modern translations are much, much WORSE!

King James Bible Errors
The verse(s) in question are given first and then what is the correct or Correction.. . .
Re: Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Feb 02, 2013
moredendisc:

Oh yeah. You really think so

Anyway all am saying is, don't put all your eggs in one basket. . .

for the last time without again sounding like a broken record

". . . KJV too is no saint, has it's own fair share of errancies. Given the time of day, KJV 8 to 9 times out of 10, it is OK"

Snips from http://www.biblestudy.org/basicart/bible-errors.html

. . . The King James translators did a marvelous job with the materials they had.
While this article is necessary to point out the KJV text that is errorneous,
it should be noted that the errors, omissions and additions made by the RSV, NIV,
and other modern translations are much, much WORSE!

King James Bible Errors
The verse(s) in question are given first and then what is the correct or Correction.. . .
SO IF BY YOUR OWN ADMISSION THE KING JAMES IS THE MOST ACCURATE, WHICH IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING FROM THE BEGINNING, WHY DO YOU WANT TO CONSULT OTHER BIBLES WITH MUCH WORSE ERRORS AS YOU SO ELOQUENTLY PUT IT ? ITS LIKE HAVING AN A STUDENT IN FRONT OF YOU BUT YOU DECIDE YOU WANT TO CONSULT WITH AN F STUDENT. DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE BRAH ? WELL YOU CAN READ ANY BIBLE YOU WANT, AS FOR ME, I HAVE BEEN ON THAT JOURNEY OF PICKING OUT THE BEST AND MOST ACCURATE. WHEN I WAS A LIP-SERVICE CHRISTIAN I READ ALL KINDS OF CORRUPTED NIV AND OTHER VERSIONS. THEN I FINALLY GOT IN THE TRUTH AND BECAME A SERIOUS 'CHRISTIAN', AND SPEAKING TO LOTS OF PEOPLE AND DOING MY OWN RESEARCH, COME TO FIND OUT THE NEWER VERSIONS ARE MADE NEWER SO THAT THEY COULD CHANGE STUFF IN THEIR TO HIDE HISTORY. THE NEWER THE VERSION IS THE MORE CORRUPT IT IS. ITS PURPOSELY CORRUPTED TO HIDE THE TRUTH. THE ONLY UNCORRUPTED VERSION IS THE KJV. AND WHY THE CORRUPTION ? BECAUSE THE LAST EMPIRE ON EARTH, THE ROMAN EMPIRE IS TRYING TO DECEIVE THE WORLD INTO THINKING CIVILIZATION STARTED IN GREECE, CHRIST IS WHITE, THE JEWS ARE WHITE AND EVERYONE IN THE BIBLE IS WHITE. SO THEY HAVE PURPOSELY ALTERED EVERYTHING AS SUCH TO FIT THAT AGENDA. AND I REPEAT, IF YOU WANT TO KEEP ON USING CORRUPTED BIBLE, BE MY GUEST, ME MYSELF ITS STRICTLY KJV. I WENT THROUGH A PHASE WHERE I CONSULTED OTHER BIBLES FOR EASIER EXPLANATION BECAUSE THE KJV ENGLISH WAS TOO OLD FOR ME. BUT AFTER A FEW WEEKS, I GOT USED TO THE ENGLISH. NOW I DONT EVEN CONSULT ANY OTHER TRANSLATIONS.
Re: Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? by moredendisc: 9:58pm On Feb 02, 2013
obadiah777:

SO IF BY YOUR OWN ADMISSION THE KING JAMES IS THE MOST ACCURATE, WHICH IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING FROM THE BEGINNING, WHY DO YOU WANT TO CONSULT OTHER BIBLES WITH MUCH WORSE ERRORS AS YOU SO ELOQUENTLY PUT IT ? ITS LIKE HAVING AN A STUDENT IN FRONT OF YOU BUT YOU DECIDE YOU WANT TO CONSULT WITH AN F STUDENT. DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE BRAH ? WELL YOU CAN READ ANY BIBLE YOU WANT, AS FOR ME, I HAVE BEEN ON THAT JOURNEY OF PICKING OUT THE BEST AND MOST ACCURATE. WHEN I WAS A LIP-SERVICE CHRISTIAN I READ ALL KINDS OF CORRUPTED NIV AND OTHER VERSIONS. THEN I FINALLY GOT IN THE TRUTH AND BECAME A SERIOUS 'CHRISTIAN', AND SPEAKING TO LOTS OF PEOPLE AND DOING MY OWN RESEARCH, COME TO FIND OUT THE NEWER VERSIONS ARE MADE NEWER SO THAT THEY COULD CHANGE STUFF IN THEIR TO HIDE HISTORY. THE NEWER THE VERSION IS THE MORE CORRUPT IT IS. ITS PURPOSELY CORRUPTED TO HIDE THE TRUTH. THE ONLY UNCORRUPTED VERSION IS THE KJV. AND WHY THE CORRUPTION ? BECAUSE THE LAST EMPIRE ON EARTH, THE ROMAN EMPIRE IS TRYING TO DECEIVE THE WORLD INTO THINKING CIVILIZATION STARTED IN GREECE, CHRIST IS WHITE, THE JEWS ARE WHITE AND EVERYONE IN THE BIBLE IS WHITE. SO THEY HAVE PURPOSELY ALTERED EVERYTHING AS SUCH TO FIT THAT AGENDA. AND I REPEAT, IF YOU WANT TO KEEP ON USING CORRUPTED BIBLE, BE MY GUEST, ME MYSELF ITS STRICTLY KJV. I WENT THROUGH A PHASE WHERE I CONSULTED OTHER BIBLES FOR EASIER EXPLANATION BECAUSE THE KJV ENGLISH WAS TOO OLD FOR ME. BUT AFTER A FEW WEEKS, I GOT USED TO THE ENGLISH. NOW I DONT EVEN CONSULT ANY OTHER TRANSLATIONS.

@obadiah777

I know KJV has lesser minefields.

I am familiar with cesspool and know the dodgy/rogue translations out there

I was once a die-hard KJV onlyist, like you are too. Back in the day, I graduated from Basic English bible to KJV.

I don't find KJV difficult to understand.

It is the closest, no doubt, but still the fact must be aired that it does have errors and readers should be wary

All am saying is that, if you don't want suffer the fate of the proverbial lost hound, take heed to the handler's whistle.

It was a rude awakening and shock to me the first time I accidentally stumbled on a KJV bad translation and error

- bumped into another one or two, recently, not too far back.

I have learnt since then to ALWAYS do or perform parallel translations

and now do this, ALWAYS when in doubt of, not 100% certain of, want to confirm the authenticity of, or want to validate the particular KJV text and/or context

Though 9 times out of 10, you'll find me quoting or referencing KJV, it doesn't mean I am a 100% KJV maga or sucker smiley

- Prior due diligence had been performed or carried out smiley

1 Like

Re: Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? by Dogohson: 11:09pm On Feb 02, 2013
I love Amplified version, is an extention of the King James
Re: Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? by Ishilove: 12:09am On Feb 03, 2013
obadiah777: YOU DO ERR THINKING 'ERRING' IS REIGNING. WHAT IS REIGNING IS THE AUTHENTICITY OF OP'S BIBLE AND THE AUTHENTICITY OF MOREDENDISC'S OPINION grin
What does 'err' mean sef??

No vex, na night school I go. :-/
Re: Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? by Nobody: 2:15am On Feb 03, 2013
moredendisc:

@obadiah777

I know KJV has lesser minefields.

I am familiar with cesspool and know the dodgy/rogue translations out there

I was once a die-hard KJV onlyist, like you are too. Back in the day, I graduated from Basic English bible to KJV.

I don't find KJV difficult to understand.

It is the closest, no doubt, but still the fact must be aired that it does have errors and readers should be wary

All am saying is that, if you don't want suffer the fate of the proverbial lost hound, take heed to the handler's whistle.

It was a rude awakening and shock to me the first time I accidentally stumbled on a KJV bad translation and error

- bumped into another one or two, recently, not too far back.

I have learnt since then to ALWAYS do or perform parallel translations

and now do this, ALWAYS when in doubt of, not 100% certain of, want to confirm the authenticity of, or want to validate the particular KJV text and/or context

Though 9 times out of 10, you'll find me quoting or referencing KJV, it doesn't mean I am a 100% KJV maga or sucker smiley

- Prior due diligence had been performed or carried out smiley

OK LETS SEE HOW AUTHENTIC YOU ARE AS A PERSON. LETS SEE IF YOU ARE FULL OF SHYTTT OR NOT. LETS TEST YOUR VALIDITY. CAN YOU POINT OUT ONLY THREE KJV ERRORS THAT YOU SPEAK OFF ? IF YOU CANT POINT 3 OUT, I WILL TAKE YOU AS SOMEONE WHO JUST LIKES ARGUING FOR ARGUMENTS SAKE. OK LETS SEE YOUR VALIDITY
Re: Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? by Nobody: 2:31am On Feb 03, 2013
Ishilove:
What does 'err' mean sef??

No vex, na night school I go. :-/
YOU GOIN HAV TA AKS CHRIST FO DAT grin >>>>> MATTHEW 22 VS 29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God. <<<< THE LINGO OF THE MESSIAH. I AM JUST A PARROT
Re: Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? by Ishilove: 5:11am On Feb 03, 2013
obadiah777: YOU GOIN HAV TA AKS CHRIST FO DAT grin >>>>> MATTHEW 22 VS 29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God. <<<< THE LINGO OF THE MESSIAH. I AM JUST A PARROT
No, it is actually the lingo of the bible translators. Christ didn't speak English, remember?

And FYI, you do err thinking I don't know what err means. grin
Re: Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? by moredendisc: 5:38am On Feb 03, 2013
obadiah777:

OK LETS SEE HOW AUTHENTIC YOU ARE AS A PERSON. LETS SEE IF YOU ARE FULL OF SHYTTT OR NOT. LETS TEST YOUR VALIDITY.

CAN YOU POINT OUT ONLY THREE KJV ERRORS THAT YOU SPEAK OFF ? IF YOU CANT POINT 3 OUT, I WILL TAKE YOU AS SOMEONE WHO JUST LIKES ARGUING FOR ARGUMENTS SAKE. OK LETS SEE YOUR VALIDITY

@obadiah777

This has nothing to do with arguments or me . . .

I was advising you not to solely rely or depend only on KJV (i.e. but to also do a parallel translations of all other available bibles at the same time too)

and here you are sneakily fishing for evidence(s) and also playing the argument card smiley SMH

What is stopping you carrying out a reasonable personal research?

Are you too high on SHYTTT something, to think straight or just plain stuck on stupid - no offense intended

# PS: I wasn't going to oblige your requests but just had an after thought.

OK here are a few subtle mistranslations

1) I Chronicles 5:26
2) Matthew 27:44 - Refer to https://www.nairaland.com/1165567/reasons-why-christians-falling-false/3#13921686
3) John 20:17

# KJV couldn't make up its mind, as it translated the word "Sheol" as "grave" 31 times and also as "hell" 31 times.

KJV, what is Sheol? Is it the grave or hell? - Refer to https://www.nairaland.com/1165567/reasons-why-christians-falling-false/3#13908025
Re: Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? by Goshen360(m): 7:04am On Feb 03, 2013
@ obadiah777,

Since you dont understand SIMPLE advice given by moredendisc, let me start to TROUBLESHOOT your KJV ONLY mind with these errors from KJV. I was also a KJV ONLY in the past. Now, dont get me wrong, I still love KJV more than any other translations and it still remain my first priority anytime but I'm no more a KJV ONLY. Some other translations esp my new found EXPANDED BIBLE, by the KJV and NKJV translator Team. The Expanded bible retains the KJV beauty while it incorporate the modern English and the originality of the KJV translation.

Now, Obadiah777, pls quote Luke 6:16 and Acts 1:13 from the KJV and let's how you answer the questions I'll ask therein.
Re: Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? by Nobody: 12:20pm On Feb 03, 2013
Ishilove:
No, it is actually the lingo of the bible translators. Christ didn't speak English, remember?

And FYI, you do err thinking I don't know what err means. grin
YOU ARE VERY CORRECT. I DID ERR grin grin grin IT IS THE LINGO OF THE BIBLE TRANSLATORS. cheesy
Re: Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Feb 03, 2013
moredendisc:

@obadiah777

This has nothing to do with arguments or me . . .

I was advising you not to solely rely or depend only on KJV (i.e. but to also do a parallel translations of all other available bibles at the same time too)

and here you are sneakily fishing for evidence(s) and also playing the argument card smiley SMH

What is stopping you carrying out a reasonable personal research?

Are you too high on SHYTTT something, to think straight or just plain stuck on stupid - no offense intended

# PS: I wasn't going to oblige your requests but just had an after thought.

OK here are a few subtle mistranslations

1) I Chronicles 5:26
2) Matthew 27:44 - Refer to https://www.nairaland.com/1165567/reasons-why-christians-falling-false/3#13921686
3) John 20:17

# KJV couldn't make up its mind, as it translated the word "Sheol" as "grave" 31 times and also as "hell" 31 times.

KJV, what is Sheol? Is it the grave or hell? - Refer to https://www.nairaland.com/1165567/reasons-why-christians-falling-false/3#13908025

SEE YOU ARE WHAT IS CALLED A GAINSAYER. YOU HAVE PHARISEE TENDENCIES. WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS CALLED 'SPLITTING HAIRS'. MOREDENDISC WHY ARE YOU SPLITTING HAIRS ? WHY ARE YOU ARGUING JUST TO ARGUE ? THOSE VERSES YOU QUOTED ARE AS ACCURATE AS CAN BE. AS FOR SHEOL AND GRAVE AND HELL ? THEY ALL MEAN THE SAME THING. THEY ARE USED INTERCHANGEABLY.

AND HERE I WAS EXPECTING YOU TO PULL OUT SOME MAJOR ERRORS SUCH AS THE CHANGING OF A WHOLE VERSE TO MEAN SOMETHING ELSE. FOR EXAMPLE

LAMENTATIONS 5 VS 10 Our skin was black like an oven because of the terrible famine

LAMENTATIONS 5 VS 10 Our skin is hot as an oven, feverish from hunger <<<< NIV INTERPRETATION. NOW NOTICE HOW THEY TRIED TO REMOVE THE COLOR OF THE SKIN AND THEY CHANGED THE WHOLE MEANING OF THE VERSE. NOW THOSE TWO VERSES MEAN DIFFERENT THINGS. THESE ARE THE KIND OF ERRORS I AM EXPECTING YOU TO POINT OUT. SERIOUS ALTERATION OF VERSES. AND HERE YOU ARE POINTING OUT WHY SHEOL IS USED IN PLACE OF HELL IN PLACE OF THE GRAVE. THOSE ARE NOT ERRORS. THOSE WORDS MEAN THE SAME THING. YOU DO ERR MAKING THIS WHOLE HULLABALOO ABOUT NOTHING. MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING. YOU DO ERR MOREDENDISC angry grin
Re: Who Can Explain This Verse - Proverbs 17:8 ? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Feb 03, 2013
ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR. NOTICE HOW THE NEWER VERSION IS ALTERED TO REMOVE THE COLOR OF THE JEWS

KJV >>> JEREMIAH 14 VS 2 Judah mourneth, and the gates thereof languish; they are black unto the ground; and the cry of Jerusalem is gone up

NIV >>>> JEREMIAH 14 VS 2 Judah mourns, her cities languish; they wail for the land, and a cry goes up from Jerusalem

NOTICE BOARD : GATES MEANS ELDERS. THE GATES TO THE CITY ARE THE ELDERS. ITS NOT TALKING ABOUT A PHYSICAL GATE IN THAT VERSE.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Makes You A Christian? / If You Doubt The Existence Of God, What Do You Say About This / Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.