Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,370 members, 7,781,026 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:40 AM

Today Is World Hijab Day - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Today Is World Hijab Day (8124 Views)

World Hijab Day Nigeria -( Lagos) - 1st February 2015 / World Hijab Day Nigeria -( Lagos) - 1st Febuary '15 / Islamic Indonesia Fights Against The Jilboob (tight Hijab) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Today Is World Hijab Day by maclatunji: 10:23am On Feb 01, 2013
As part of activities to mark this movement or is it idea, I present to you this interesting article from me good friends at the BBC. Happy reading.tongue

Hijab for a day: Non-Muslim women who try the headscarf

World Hijab Day calls on non-Muslim women to try out life under the traditional head scarf. Can it lead to more religious tolerance and understanding?

"Because I'm not very skilled I'm wearing what you could call a one-piece hijab - you just pull it over your head. But I've discovered the scope is endless. There are all sorts of options."

So says Jess Rhodes, 21, a student from Norwich in the UK. She had always wanted to try a headscarf but, as a non-Muslim, didn't think it an option. So, when given the opportunity by a friend to try wearing the scarf, she took it.

"She assured me that I didn't need to be Muslim, that it was just about modesty, although obviously linked to Islam, so I thought, 'why not?'"

Rhodes is one of hundreds of non-Muslims who will be wearing the headscarf as part of the first annual World Hijab Day on 1 February.

Originated by New York woman Nazma Khan, the movement has been organised almost solely over social networking sites. It has attracted interest from Muslims and non-Muslims in more than 50 countries across the world.

For many people, the hijab is a symbol of oppression and divisiveness. It's a visible target that often bears the brunt of a larger debate about Islam in the West.

World Hijab Day is designed to counteract these controversies. It encourages non-Muslim women (or even Muslim women who do not ordinarily wear one) to don the hijab and experience what it's like to do so, as part of a bid to foster better understanding.

"Growing up in the Bronx, in NYC, I experienced a great deal of discrimination due to my hijab," says organiser Khan, who moved to New York from Bangladesh aged 11. She was the only "hijabi" (a word for someone who wears the headscarf) in her school.

"In middle school I was 'Batman' or 'ninja,'" she says.

"When I moved on to college it was just after 9/11, so they would call me Osama Bin Laden or terrorist. It was awful.

"I figured the only way to end discrimination is if we ask our fellow sisters to experience hijab themselves."

Khan had no idea the concept would result in support from all over the world. She says she has been contacted by people in dozens of countries, including the UK, Australia, India, Pakistan, France and Germany. The group's literature has been translated into 22 languages.

It was social networking that got Jess Rhodes involved. Her friend Widyan Al Ubudy lives in Australia and asked her Facebook friends to participate.

"My parents, their natural reaction was to wonder if this was a good idea," says Rhodes, who decided to wear her hijab for a month.

"They were worried I would be attacked in the street because of a lack of tolerance."

Rhodes herself was concerned about the reaction, but after eight days of wearing the headscarf she has actually been surprised by how positive it has been.

"I can't explain it really but people have been really very helpful, especially in shops," she says.

Read more here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21283301

11 Likes

Re: Today Is World Hijab Day by maclatunji: 10:27am On Feb 01, 2013
Nazma Khan World Hijab day founder: "In middle school I was 'Batman' or 'ninja,'".

Very common for ladies in hijab to be called such names and they bear it with patience- later, they will say Muslims are not tolerant.

2 Likes

Re: Today Is World Hijab Day by maclatunji: 10:33am On Feb 01, 2013
And if you want real Ninjas, you can watch them here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJjpFYVvwBo
Re: Today Is World Hijab Day by outrage: 10:35am On Feb 01, 2013
Jazakallahu khair..

Muslims are of course tolerant. I think the problem with this issue is the defination of tolerance to the respective person, and the situation.

A muslim can be tolerant all his/life and be teased and bullied but you don't expect the same behavior when the nabi (saw) is insulted.

So tolerance depends.

1 Like

Re: Today Is World Hijab Day by maclatunji: 10:36am On Feb 01, 2013
Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use

https://www.nairaland.com/935365/different-types-covering-muslim-women
Re: Today Is World Hijab Day by thirty(m): 10:37am On Feb 01, 2013
there is motive for this. let us see what will happen. Is either an unbeliver want to commit behind the veil and paint the islam world b*d.
wait for a minute and see.
Re: Today Is World Hijab Day by maclatunji: 10:38am On Feb 01, 2013
thirty: there is motive for this. let us see what will happen. Is either an unbeliver want to commit behind the veil and paint the islam world b*d.
wait for a minute and see.

Really? I think you should read the article again. Slowly and carefully...
Re: Today Is World Hijab Day by Dyt(f): 10:48am On Feb 01, 2013
I will go for SHAYLA anyday
Re: Today Is World Hijab Day by Nobody: 10:53am On Feb 01, 2013
Watz d tolerance in enduring being called names in school I wonder Everybody gets called one name or the other...even she must have called people names.
Come to think of it;if I wear a T-shirt with "Jesus is Lord" on it to M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣̥ school in iran,afghanistan or even the UAE;ill be called names like... NOTHING! Cos I no go even reach the school before...

5 Likes

Re: Today Is World Hijab Day by Nobody: 10:58am On Feb 01, 2013
I'm not a muslim, but whenever I'm in d core north, I wear a hijab, and my muslim friends love me for that..even now, I still wear the small cap-like own.. If I had heard of this earlier, I'd have worn one...

P.S... The statement in red above doesn't really speak well of d religion. I think it further strengthens the arguement of intolerance.. My humble opinion..
Salam!

1 Like

Re: Today Is World Hijab Day by BabaEleko(m): 11:01am On Feb 01, 2013
I heard a story of a Christian lawyer who saw the light in Islam and converted to Islam just by trying out the Muslim white cap for a while. To that sister who started the movement, Jazakallahu khair.

1 Like

Re: Today Is World Hijab Day by maclatunji: 11:01am On Feb 01, 2013
tchidi: I'm not a muslim, but whenever I'm in d core north, I wear a hijab, and my muslim friends love me for that..even now, I still wear the small cap-like own.. If I had heard of this earlier, I'd have worn one...

P.S... The statement in red above doesn't really speak well of d religion. I think it further strengthens the arguement of intolerance.. My humble opinion..
Salam!

Nice!

@bolded, it was not put there by Muslims. It was put there by non-Muslims. Direct your lecture to them.
Thank you.
Re: Today Is World Hijab Day by pak: 11:03am On Feb 01, 2013
maclatunji: Nazma Khan World Hijab day founder: "In middle school I was 'Batman' or 'ninja,'".

Very common for ladies in hijab to be called such names and they bear it with patience- later, they will say Muslims are not tolerant.
Re: Today Is World Hijab Day by ashson: 11:03am On Feb 01, 2013
Thats very interesting, our female folks should try it-even d non-muslims and lets share the experience pls...
Re: Today Is World Hijab Day by Nobody: 11:05am On Feb 01, 2013
maclatunji:

Nice!

@bolded, it was not put there by Muslims. It was put there by non-Muslims. Direct your lecture to them.
Thank you.

Yes Uncle! cool
I don't think I want my first ban just yet.

Have a nice day y'all...
Re: Today Is World Hijab Day by ashson: 11:08am On Feb 01, 2013
before you yearn for respect, try to respect yourself first. Hijab is a sign of respect and dignity.
Re: Today Is World Hijab Day by Gombs(m): 11:12am On Feb 01, 2013
World Hijab day?

R u guys serious?....sorry eh,lemme ask..."Wil u ban me for asking whether u guys r serious about the world hijab day?"

#today's 1st feb not 1st April na
Re: Today Is World Hijab Day by BHarmony(m): 11:14am On Feb 01, 2013
Alhamdulillahi. The Hijab is good, it dignifies womanhood and prevents immorality. How beautiful the world would be if all females embrace the Hijab. Which of Allah's injunctions can you deny?

1 Like

Re: Today Is World Hijab Day by ignis: 11:16am On Feb 01, 2013
ashson: before you yearn for respect, try to respect yourself first. Hijab is a sign of respect and dignity.
But not in all cases.
Re: Today Is World Hijab Day by pak: 11:19am On Feb 01, 2013
maclatunji: And if you want real Ninjas, you can watch them here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJjpFYVvwBo

Absolutely fantastic, can you please connect me with one of those ?
Re: Today Is World Hijab Day by Orikinla(m): 11:19am On Feb 01, 2013
I really like people to read and read and study history.
Let just make one thing clear here and I hope the ignorant ones will learn.
I have been promoting and selling the hijab on my blogs since 2006 to date, because I love it and even when a Muslim girlfriend wanted to stop wearing it, I insisted that she should wear it.
Even in African Igbo culture, responsible women cover their heads with scarves.
Only your husband or the man you love should unveil you.

1. THE HIJAB WAS NOT AN ISLAMIC OR ANY RELIGIOUS HEAD SCARF STYLE BEFORE ISLAM AND CHRISTIANITY.

[size=18pt]The hijab is an Arabic word and not an Islamic word. The hijab preceded all three Abrahamic religions (Christianity, Judaism, and Islam), dating back as far as 2500 B.C.E. Elite women in ancient Mesopotamia and in the Byzantine, Greek, and Persian empires wore the veil as sign of respectability and high status.[/size]
[size=18pt]
And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their khimār over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husband, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments.
~ (Quran 24:31)

There was no tradition of veiling until around 627 C.E." in the Muslim community. And the founder of Islam NEVER IMPOSED IT ON ALL WOMEN OF THE MUSLIM SOCIETY. [/size]

[size=14pt]You can read more in my historical fiction "Unveil Me My Love" on http://www.lulu.com/shop/orikinla-osinachi/unveil-me-my-love/hardcover/product-519468.html.

PS: "Unveil Me My Love" is only available to only highly educated people and any Muslim who is not well educated should not bother to read.
[/size]

By Orikinla Osinachi

Re: Today Is World Hijab Day by maclatunji: 11:27am On Feb 01, 2013
pak:

Absolutely fantastic, can you please connect me with one of those ?

Fantastic Muslim women are meant for fantastic Muslim men, are you a Muslim?

1 Like

Re: Today Is World Hijab Day by plendil: 11:28am On Feb 01, 2013
As part of activities to mark this movement or is it idea, I present to you this interesting article from me good friends at the BBC. Happy reading.
tongue

why the tongue?
Re: Today Is World Hijab Day by maclatunji: 11:40am On Feb 01, 2013
plendil:

why the tongue?

It is for all the haters, bad-belles, olofofos and those who just love it when I post it.cheesy (My own way of having fun whilst working on Nairaland).
Re: Today Is World Hijab Day by opeoluwa2(f): 11:45am On Feb 01, 2013
To avoid being banned, please ensure that your post is not offensive to Islam.

Note:This was what I saw before posting my comment

So an offence to islam gets me a ban on Nairaland?
Then elrufai should ve been banned by twitter or everything anyone makes an offensive statement abt anyother religion shld get a ban.
And you talk abt religious tolerance
Keep decieving yourselves.

To my comment.
Hijab is the cultural dress code for women of Old especially in middle east, ASia .
It got infused into the islamic religion and muslims started using.I don't see reason for anyone to insult or taunt anyone for the use of hijab.

1 Like

Re: Today Is World Hijab Day by nuorlah: 11:49am On Feb 01, 2013
maclatunji:

It is for all the haters, bad-belles, olofofos and those who just love it when I post it.cheesy (My own way of having fun whilst working on Nairaland).
The tongue only takes out d seriousness of d issue. I see it as childish.

Well done @ the sister Khan. You never know what impact the little you do can make.

It is inspiring.
Re: Today Is World Hijab Day by maclatunji: 12:05pm On Feb 01, 2013
nuorlah: The tongue only takes out d seriousness of d issue. I see it as childish.

Well done @ the sister Khan. You never know what impact the little you do can make.

It is inspiring.

LOL... Well, I have the image of being the most serious Moderator on Nairaland, I can allow myself to be "childish". Absolutely, nothing wrong with that. Now, get back to topic. angry cheesy
Re: Today Is World Hijab Day by Orikinla(m): 12:06pm On Feb 01, 2013
maclatunji:

Fantastic Muslim women are meant for fantastic Muslim men, are you a Muslim?
Maclatunji,
Well, I have a fantastic Muslim girlfriend and I am not a Muslim.
Love is above religion.

If I have my way, all women in Nigeria must cover their heads and bosoms outdoors, except those who have chosen to be hawkers of their sexual assets who will be banished from the society.
Re: Today Is World Hijab Day by tbaba1234: 12:24pm On Feb 01, 2013
The proper Islamic term is khimar. hijab is what we Muslims have made popular over the years.

In pre Islamic Arabia, the women wore head scarfs, but that was about it. Parts of the bosom was left exposed.

The Quran ordered believing women to draw this covering over the bosoms. As a result, Muslim women are required to cover these parts of their body.

What Muslim wear today is nothing like that of pre Islamic Arabia. The only similarity is that the head is covered.

It is a requirement for Muslim women except the young or the old because it is a direct command.

The above is for those claiming historical knowledge.

For the sisters, who do not have the courage or Iman to wear it. I pray Allah helps you.

The hijab is a sign of obedience.

For those wearing, endeavour to wear it correctly insha Allah. Do not look down on a sister who doesn't, you do not know her challenges.

May Allah make us better people.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Things You Shouldn't Do During Ramadan / Emulate The Leadership Qualities Of Prophet Mohammed / Stinginess: Why A Muslim Should Not Be Stingy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.