Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,336 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:28 AM

I Dnt Need Him To Kal Me Aunty!!! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Dnt Need Him To Kal Me Aunty!!! (1833 Views)

My Aunty Gave Me Her Breast Milk To Drink: Right Or Wrong? / Please Help Me,am Confused, Depressed.i Dnt Have Anyone To Talk To / If Dis Waz Ur Child Wat Name Wud U Kal Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Dnt Need Him To Kal Me Aunty!!! by busolayemi: 11:46am On Feb 01, 2013
Hello nairalanders... I'm getting married in 3mnths...d issue I have is wen I was dating ma hubby, anytym I go to c him in his place nd meets his younger bro who cums very once in a while, he calls me aunty Busola (I mean d younger bro nao) and av been calling him by his name cos am like 3yrs older dan him nd most times, he does his own part of d house chores while I don mine...buh I noticed dat immediately we got serious nd started preparing for d weddin, he started callin me by name whc am so home with...I even prefer it. Cos it allows for a beta rapour....nao d ishu is my hubby, he doesn't like d fact dat he kals me by name...nd he says am d cause...dat I shd b callin him brother...its jst so absurd...sumone av cald by name for like 4yrs...I told him am not complainin...buh he's rily makin it a big deal....advise pls nd CONSTRUCTIVE critisisms
Re: I Dnt Need Him To Kal Me Aunty!!! by KINGwax(m): 11:57am On Feb 01, 2013
I'm not interested in ur family problems.
Truth be told, in yorubaland, there are norms. And u jes decided to ignore dt.
Let's face it and stop being a hypocrite hidind under d guise of civilization. If we really av to do dt, let's be complete abt it and stop takin d one which strokes our ego.
For example, im d modern world, u dnt need ur parents to bless ur weddin, go ahead wit wot u wanted. But here, it scares us if they dnt, but wen u dnt wanna do smtn, u say d world is going civic.
Now, to ur point, see, it aint necessary to call him brother if u both undstnd dt.
Like ppl say, respect is reciprocal.
BTW, if it doesnt bother u, why come here?

4 Likes

Re: I Dnt Need Him To Kal Me Aunty!!! by ifihearam: 12:08pm On Feb 01, 2013
Una nor dey tire for this broda and anty matter sef ,If I mention tribe una go ban me......hypocrites
Re: I Dnt Need Him To Kal Me Aunty!!! by busolayemi: 12:13pm On Feb 01, 2013
KINGwax: I'm not interested in ur family problems.
Let's face it and stop being a hypocrite hidind under d guise of civilization. If we really av to do dt, let's be complete abt it and stop takin d one which strokes our ego.
For example, im d modern world, u dnt need ur parents to bless ur weddin, go ahead wit wot u wanted. But here, it scares us if they dnt, but wen u dnt wanna do smtn, u say d world is going civic.
Now, to ur point, see, it aint necessary to call him brother if u both undstnd dt.
nxt tym u want to comment on a thread...tink it tru. I guess nairaland is an avenue to seek advice frm mayb few reasonable people...its not botherin me mister, my hubby has an issue with it ni...nd u didn't av to reply, u cud av ignored...I'm clear huh?

1 Like

Re: I Dnt Need Him To Kal Me Aunty!!! by Nobody: 1:25pm On Feb 01, 2013
Well ur hubby shud stop being a boy by making a mountain out of a mole hill. Communicate and drive it home into his skull that its not a big deal.unless he wants rancour in the family,he shudn't be heady abt this.
Re: I Dnt Need Him To Kal Me Aunty!!! by emilyone(f): 2:49pm On Feb 01, 2013
since your hubby is not cool with the new development, he is in a position to address the issue, let him call his brother into order.
Re: I Dnt Need Him To Kal Me Aunty!!! by Nobody: 2:55pm On Feb 01, 2013
Calling people aunty and brother (boda) is just a respect thing. Tell your hubby how you feel about it & why and hear what he has to say. He might have good reasons for asking you to do this. You can still create good rapport with his brother even if you call each other aunty and brother, but you should do whatever you're comfortable with.
Re: I Dnt Need Him To Kal Me Aunty!!! by busolayemi: 4:17pm On Feb 01, 2013
Tanx guys...nice comments...God bless y'al
Re: I Dnt Need Him To Kal Me Aunty!!! by kingingkinging: 4:47pm On Feb 01, 2013
KINGwax: I'm not interested in ur family problems.

Dear Busola, I am sure you are not marrying yourself but your guy, therefore, you are not the issue here but your guy. He doesnt like it simple; stop it simple. Calling by alias or Initial like if he is Ayo-AY, or uncle something will not kill u, reduce your age or societal value. This is one of the little marital politics that ladies should understand. Let me give you an example, I was a classmate to my elder brother's wife, in fact we were friends in secondary school. The story changed immediately I knew her as my sis in-law. She started calling me brother ( a sign of respect to us though it is not in reality), I was still calling her by her first name. But later, I couldn't because I became obliged indirectly to respect my elder brother's wife.

You have to understand marriage more, especially now that you are close to wedding. Marriage is more of your patner than yours and vice versa, so if he doesn't like it, then stop it.
Re: I Dnt Need Him To Kal Me Aunty!!! by honeric01(m): 4:50pm On Feb 01, 2013
In yoruba land, you don't call your husband's brothers by name even if you're older than them. it's a rule and they in turn won't call you by name.

Your hubby-to-be must be Yoruba i believe, unless i am wrong. if not correct me.
Re: I Dnt Need Him To Kal Me Aunty!!! by Sexkillzdick: 5:02pm On Feb 01, 2013
my aunty, pls dnt kill ursef because of ordinary 'brother'... pls... it wont cost u anything; NOTHING. dat 3yrs is nothing. I knw u're educated, beautiful and blah blah blah. jst obey simple RULE. And dnt expect him to even call u aunty. My uncle's wife calls me aunty even though she's atleast 9yrs older than me. Happy Married Life...
Re: I Dnt Need Him To Kal Me Aunty!!! by Nobody: 6:16pm On Feb 01, 2013
OP, call this your prospective BIL and speak to him on the issue. Let him know that you do not mind him calling you by name and you are not too cool about calling him broda. In fact, agree with him to only use the tittle for each other in the presence of your other in-laws. Otherwise, you will hear the kind lash that will put you to tears once you get married and continue to call him by name,especially from MIL& other ILs. Although to cut the chase here, why don't you look for a nick-name for him? He will enjoy that better than broda and his folks won't know the difference.
Re: I Dnt Need Him To Kal Me Aunty!!! by thorpido(m): 6:31pm On Feb 01, 2013
You're yoruba now,so what's the big deal.Stop acting like it's a big deal.If u really don't like d broda then modify to something like Mr T etc.
Your husband wants it that way so why don't u want to work with your hubby.
Re: I Dnt Need Him To Kal Me Aunty!!! by busolayemi: 6:55pm On Feb 01, 2013
Tanx everyone...I tink I get d point nao...anoda tin is, ma hubby kals me elder sis by name...nd she doesn't even care...infact wen my mum tried raisin d ishu, ma sis told er she doesn't even worth...FYI ma sis is not married...so wat ya fink bou dat too?? Cos by custom n culture...she shdnt b called er name by my hubby even tho he's older
Re: I Dnt Need Him To Kal Me Aunty!!! by Azedplus(m): 7:04pm On Feb 01, 2013
@ op i believe u and/or ur hubby to be is/are a yoruba or whichever a nigerian.my point : we are a people with CULTURE and this shd reflect in us.pls play along with ur guy to keep a family/culture.its not a big thing in as much as we use a SIR/MA for our boss irrespective of their age.its issues relating to this that has brought this much societal vices coz we forget or overlook our cultural values.am not castigating u
Re: I Dnt Need Him To Kal Me Aunty!!! by thorpido(m): 8:50pm On Feb 01, 2013
busolayemi: Tanx everyone...I tink I get d point nao...anoda tin is, ma hubby kals me elder sis by name...nd she doesn't even care...infact wen my mum tried raisin d ishu, ma sis told er she doesn't even worth...FYI ma sis is not married...so wat ya fink bou dat too?? Cos by custom n culture...she shdnt b called er name by my hubby even tho he's older
Traditionally,d woman is the one who marries into a man's family.Ur hubby does not av 2 call ur elder sis, aunty/sister by tradition except she is much older than ur hubby.
Re: I Dnt Need Him To Kal Me Aunty!!! by cowgurl: 9:24pm On Feb 01, 2013
I do not get the part where your refusal to call your brother-in-law (whom you are older than) brother being a direct result of him calling you by your name.

I understand the fact that you both are close, but hubby ain't cool with that-maybe he sees it as being outrightly disrespectful of his kid bro calling his wife by her name, good thing he told you first about it, so let him engage his brother instead.
Re: I Dnt Need Him To Kal Me Aunty!!! by KINGwax(m): 9:48pm On Feb 01, 2013
busolayemi: nxt tym u want to comment on a thread...tink it tru. I guess nairaland is an avenue to seek advice frm mayb few reasonable people...its not botherin me mister, my hubby has an issue with it ni...nd u didn't av to reply, u cud av ignored...I'm clear huh?
typical ashana. I think now, i undstnd. U mst av bilivd u're reasonable here, ugh?
It aint botherin u, yet u're lookin for answers.
Re: I Dnt Need Him To Kal Me Aunty!!! by busolayemi: 4:00am On Feb 02, 2013
KINGwax: typical ashana. I think now, i undstnd. U mst av bilivd u're reasonable here, ugh?
It aint botherin u, yet u're lookin for answers.
na wa for ppl o....u sha ad to say sumtin abi I get u joor...tanx for d comment, nxt person pls
Re: I Dnt Need Him To Kal Me Aunty!!! by KINGwax(m): 11:17am On Feb 02, 2013
busolayemi: na wa for ppl o....u sha ad to say sumtin abi I get u joor...tanx for d comment, nxt person pls
tongue

(1) (Reply)

Reaction To Theft. / Watch Premier Movies On Irokotv / Guys, Can You Marry A Woman Who Can't Cook?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.