Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,667 members, 7,801,926 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:08 AM

Ways Nigeria Can Beat Ivory Coast - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Ways Nigeria Can Beat Ivory Coast (24068 Views)

Nigeria Can Beat France Today, But Should Be Wary Of The Quarter-final Curse!!! / Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria : Who Is Your Man Of The Match / Mikel & Ogude Are Suspended For The Ivory Coast Match? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ways Nigeria Can Beat Ivory Coast by Nobody: 7:13pm On Feb 01, 2013
This writer makes sense. Or doesn't he?

The Ivorians are not writing off their Nigerian opponents knowing that this is their 12th consecutive berth in the knockout stages of the Afcon whenever they have taken part in it.

Stephen Keshi and his men know they face the tournament's most talented squad with an intimidating record of qualifying from the group stages of the Afcon undefeated in 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2013.

Supersport.com identifies 10 key areas in which the Super Eagles will need to defeat the impressive Elephants of Cote d'Ivoire.

1. Sticking to a game-plan. In the 2012 Afcon final, the Zambians with odds against them stuck to a game-plan based solely on fending off the Ivorians and hitting on the break before that epic shootout leading to their first title. So Keshi needs a game-plan. His team will either have to attack or defend, and defend with zero errors too. And it is good, Keshi has said: "I have a game plan (against Cote d'Ivoire) but that is for the players."

2. Psychology of players. Nigeria have 17 players making their first appearances at the Afcon except for captain Joseph Yobo, Vincent Enyeama, John Obi Mikel, Ikechukwu Uche, Austin Ejide and Elderson Echiejile. Definitely Keshi and his backroom staff have their work cut out in building confidence in the squad ahead of facing the Ivorians with top stars like Yaya Toure, Didier Drogba and Gervinho.

3. Sorting out the full-backs. Coming up against a team with attacking wingers who run at defences and switch places, Keshi surely needs to work on his full-backs especially their mobility on and off the ball. Unfortunately Nigeria picked a squad without a natural right-back. Keshi prefers Efe Ambrose in right-back over his preferred centre-back role. Expect Sabri Lamouchi to detail Gervinho to run at Ambrose if he starts at right-back.

4. Who pairs Godfrey Oboabona? It is safe to say Oboabona is Keshi's most trusted man in the heart of defence right now. But will it be Kenneth Omeruo or Yobo pairing him? The Super Eagles' backline surely needs a defensive leader against the experienced strikers of the Elephants. Yobo fits the bill but Omeruo has also impressed based on performance.

5. Attacking through the wide men. Victor Moses, Ahmed Musa and Ejike Uzoenyi are the wide men in the team. They can trouble the Ivorians though Musa has put in a poor performance at this Afcon so far. But Moses can be used to good effect as a left winger to keep Emmanuel Eboue busy. As for Uzoenyi, he is yet to make an appearance but remains a good option for Keshi.

6. Exploiting Ivorian's heart of defence. Kolo Toure and Souleymane Bamba are definitely Cote d'Ivoire's best centre-back pair from all indications. Togo's Hawks showed through pace and physical style that the Ivorians can be breached at the back and even through the heart of their defence. So Emmanuel Emenike who is Nigeria's most physical striker could do a lot in this area. Good too he has a pace decent enough to trouble any defence.

7. Packing the middle. Current African Football of the Year, Yaya Toure is a master in midfield whether it is accepted or not. He's a box-to-box man, switches play from defence to attack for a big man and shoots with deadly accuracy. With Fegor Ogude suspended, Keshi sure needs to shore up the middle. Options are Mikel and Reuben Gabriel to hold the midfield or play both of them as defensive midfielders. The trio of Obiorah Nwankwo, Ogenyi Onazi and Nosa Igiebor are lightweights and attack-minded for this role.

8. Conceding/defending set-pieces. This is where the Super Eagles need to be wary. The Ivorians are good from dead-balls and even threatening when they get it around the D. So they will need to concede less of such dead-balls around their goal area.

9. Winning key battles. A handful of key battles for this game. Yaya Toure versus Mikel. Moses versus Emmanuel Eboue, if the Nigerian is played wide of his team's left side of attack. At the other end, it will be Gervinho versus Echiejile or Gervinho versus Ambrose, depending on the line-up. These among other key battles if won by the Super Eagles gives them a chance to upstage the tournament favourites.

10. Training for spot-kicks. At this stage, penalties could settle it. Keshi by now should know his best five penalty-takers as the tournament's knockout stages begin this Saturday. But it could stretch beyond five kicks and that's the reason all 11 players must be drilled in the art of taking spot kicks. At the same time, goalkeepers could play key roles as well should a shootout suffice.

http://news.naij.com/22167.html

To me nos 2, 5, 7 & 8 are the most critical.

5 Likes

Re: Ways Nigeria Can Beat Ivory Coast by Afam4eva(m): 7:14pm On Feb 01, 2013
No 5 sounds more plausible.
Re: Ways Nigeria Can Beat Ivory Coast by Nobody: 7:48pm On Feb 01, 2013
..if eagles follow these...dey don fail b that!
Re: Ways Nigeria Can Beat Ivory Coast by izuch(m): 7:49pm On Feb 01, 2013
"2nd" they should not rest on their oars till the game is over grin

2 Likes

Re: Ways Nigeria Can Beat Ivory Coast by izenco2005(m): 7:50pm On Feb 01, 2013
If u believe nigeria will win with or without dis write up click like

61 Likes

Re: Ways Nigeria Can Beat Ivory Coast by samyyoung(m): 7:51pm On Feb 01, 2013
grin grin grin grin.................first page

1 Like

Re: Ways Nigeria Can Beat Ivory Coast by SamMilla1(m): 7:52pm On Feb 01, 2013
Nigeria and Ivory coast were due to
play in an important Afcon quater final game. A few days before the match, disaster struck.
The Nigerian team's star player Fegor Ogude got two yellow cards and CAF said he wouldn't be able to play again for at least one match.
What are we going to do? moaned Keshi. Well, said Amokachi, it so happens that Samuel Eto is a good friend of mine.
We could ask him to play for us. But that wouldn't be fair said Keshi.
No, but if we called him Samuel Okocha, people would think he is Nigerian, replied Amokachi. Eventually Keshi agreed to let this devious plan go ahead but then, as luck would have it, he was suddenly called away on official NFF business and was unable to watch the match. As soon as he could, he phoned Amokachi for the result. I'm afraid they beat us, 6-0, said Amokachi.
But how could that happen? queried
Keshi.
We had Eto in our team. Yes, said Amokachi, but they had
Demba Toure playing for them.

8 Likes

Re: Ways Nigeria Can Beat Ivory Coast by ndala(m): 7:52pm On Feb 01, 2013
Jarus: This writer makes sense. Or doesn't he?

http://news.naij.com/22167.html

To me nos 2, 5, 7 & 8 are the most critical.
so all this because of ivory coast chai the mighty has really fallen cry

7 Likes

Re: Ways Nigeria Can Beat Ivory Coast by Jimbadly: 7:52pm On Feb 01, 2013
Quit dreaming son.

1 Like

Re: Ways Nigeria Can Beat Ivory Coast by Nobody: 7:54pm On Feb 01, 2013
walai it cant work.... The person wey propose this don madt. He's just given us ways we could lose to ivorians and not win them, keshi pls ignore him like street mad person.... Haba!!!
Re: Ways Nigeria Can Beat Ivory Coast by YoursGEJ(m): 7:55pm On Feb 01, 2013
I see say some people heart sabi survive heartbreak. Good luck on Sunday.
Re: Ways Nigeria Can Beat Ivory Coast by yomip3t(m): 7:58pm On Feb 01, 2013
WAKE UP FROM SLEEP JOSEPH
Re: Ways Nigeria Can Beat Ivory Coast by Babaofor(m): 8:01pm On Feb 01, 2013
So i will not rest again because people who are already defeated?
Re: Ways Nigeria Can Beat Ivory Coast by yuzedo: 8:01pm On Feb 01, 2013
Eagles have lost!

"We need prayer in the NFA!" (Cosmo Fm voice) cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Ways Nigeria Can Beat Ivory Coast by Gboyee4fun(m): 8:02pm On Feb 01, 2013
God bless ur intellect
Re: Ways Nigeria Can Beat Ivory Coast by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 8:02pm On Feb 01, 2013
at this point in time i think keshi would have planned for all these eventualities or worse seen the writing on the wall. @op it makes sense now but did it make sense 8 months ago.. that is a question Keshi should be pondering
Re: Ways Nigeria Can Beat Ivory Coast by Nobody: 8:02pm On Feb 01, 2013
Nawao. . . . .its only on the internet and the pages of newspaper that Nigeria get things done....work hard and talk less.I wonder if ivory coast is also not there to win the trophy !

1 Like

Re: Ways Nigeria Can Beat Ivory Coast by Tallest9(m): 8:04pm On Feb 01, 2013
oya keshi, park ur load n go for we have got a new head coach...
Re: Ways Nigeria Can Beat Ivory Coast by Daleoba(m): 8:04pm On Feb 01, 2013
Why Have I nt seen d post abt messi insulting arbeloa and karanka...or all nairalanders r barca fans?

1 Like

Re: Ways Nigeria Can Beat Ivory Coast by Daleoba(m): 8:05pm On Feb 01, 2013
Why Have I nt seen d post abt messi insulting arbeloa and karanka...or all nairalanders r barca fans? And I wish Super Eagles success on sunday.
Re: Ways Nigeria Can Beat Ivory Coast by Nobody: 8:05pm On Feb 01, 2013
All Super Eagles need is "DETERMINATION"...they loose hope easily...and a big problem they have is that whenever they score,they relax like they've won the game...HAPI LOOSING tongue
Re: Ways Nigeria Can Beat Ivory Coast by Nobody: 8:05pm On Feb 01, 2013
No 11, pass this messages to stephen keshi grin

1 Like

Re: Ways Nigeria Can Beat Ivory Coast by Drdaps(m): 8:07pm On Feb 01, 2013
Strauskhan1: walai it cant work.... The person wey propose this don madt. He's just given us ways we could lose to ivorians and not win them, keshi pls ignore him like street mad person.... Haba!!!
i'm looking forward to see some of your strategies,man.atleast learn how to appriciate someone's idea

2 Likes

Re: Ways Nigeria Can Beat Ivory Coast by tomsongz(m): 8:11pm On Feb 01, 2013
11. Ask mikel 2 teach his team mates how 2 pack da bus
Re: Ways Nigeria Can Beat Ivory Coast by alaoeri: 8:13pm On Feb 01, 2013
The match wey Ivory coast don already win. undecided

1 Like

Re: Ways Nigeria Can Beat Ivory Coast by NEROSKY(m): 8:13pm On Feb 01, 2013
[size=20pt]Story story!!![/size] grin

Abeg make them do quick dey com back jooor!! Nigeria get team .....
Re: Ways Nigeria Can Beat Ivory Coast by FineBro(m): 8:14pm On Feb 01, 2013
BiG GuN.

Re: Ways Nigeria Can Beat Ivory Coast by alphaconde(m): 8:14pm On Feb 01, 2013
Am eating now when I finish I would read everything thoroughly
Re: Ways Nigeria Can Beat Ivory Coast by akigbemaru: 8:19pm On Feb 01, 2013
Down to the republic of Biafran football club and up the great Ivory Coast. I will rejoice with Ivory coast comes on Sunday. It will be easy for camel to pass through the eye of middle than Biafailed soccer confederate to pass thorough the niddle of Ivorian soccer test!
Re: Ways Nigeria Can Beat Ivory Coast by ceejay80s(m): 8:20pm On Feb 01, 2013
Dis one na story, dem go beat us hands down, even the topics so many nairalander don use to start thread don show say fear dey una body

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Rio 2016 Segun Toriola Flying The Nigerian Flag High Advances To Second Round / D’tigers Unhappy With Buhari’s N600k Gift / Who Have Advantage Of Wining Premier League Title Among Top Three Contenders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.