Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,480 members, 7,781,414 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:05 PM

After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? (2172 Views)

Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas / Atheists Are More "Moral" Than Christians/muslims (the Evidence). Do You Accept? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? by Nobody: 7:51pm On Feb 01, 2013
2012 was a landmark year on Nairaland religion section where atheists really came out of the woodwork.

Many religious people got to know atheists very well and so, I want to know what the religious people now think about atheists?

Athiest;
-Someone who doesnt believe in the existence of God

[size=18pt]
So, can an atheist be a morally upright and good person? Or even better than some religious people?[/size]

1 Like

Re: After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? by Bella3(f): 7:56pm On Feb 01, 2013
Ayam coming.
Re: After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Feb 01, 2013
Bélla3: Ayam coming.

Waiting for your expose on atheist morality
Re: After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? by Affiliated(m): 9:27pm On Feb 01, 2013
Atheists who are moral are moral because it is the right thing to do and that to me is the purest form of morality. It comes from within an individual

Religious people are moral because they expect rewards or try to avoid punishments. Or because they are told to be moral by figures of authority [Religious people can also be moral because it is the right thing to do]

Personal experience: I was walking with a super religious catholic friend [A girl] when a very thin woman carrying 2 equally thin children approached us to beg for money. As the woman approached I noticed my friend was getting uneasy and by the time the woman stretched out her hand my friend practically jumped up and ran away. I gave the woman N200 and asked my friend about it later. Her reply was that she does all the giving she needs to do in church and one cannot be too careful of the evil in the world. I said OK...
Re: After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? by Nobody: 10:10pm On Feb 01, 2013
Affiliated: Atheists who are moral are moral because it is the right thing to do and that to me is the purest form of morality. It comes from within an individual

Religious people are moral because they expect rewards or try to avoid punishments. Or because they are told to be moral by figures of authority [Religious people can also be moral because it is the right thing to do]

Personal experience: I was walking with a super religious catholic friend [A girl] when a very thin woman carrying 2 equally thin children approached us to beg for money. As the woman approached I noticed my friend was getting uneasy and by the time the woman stretched out her hand my friend practically jumped up and ran away. I gave the woman N200 and asked my friend about it later. Her reply was that she does all the giving she needs to do in church and one cannot be too careful of the evil in the world. I said OK...

The bold says it all. I want to comment but I will wait for others first
Re: After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? by Bella3(f): 10:14pm On Feb 01, 2013
Logicboy03:

The bold says it all. I want to comment but I will wait for others first
so the bold speaks for all religious people?? SMH
Re: After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? by Nobody: 10:21pm On Feb 01, 2013
Bélla3: so the bold speaks for all religious people?? SMH

Of course it doesnt. What it shows is that there are certain problems with religious morality......
Re: After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? by Bella3(f): 10:23pm On Feb 01, 2013
Logicboy03:

Of course it doesnt. What it shows is that there are certain problems with religious morality......
eheh? Alrice. Ayam watching.
Re: After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? by 401kk: 11:04pm On Feb 01, 2013
What do you mean by being morally upright?
Re: After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Feb 01, 2013
401kk: What do you mean by being morally upright?

Uprightly moral
Re: After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? by 401kk: 11:46pm On Feb 01, 2013
There's no such thing. Morality is subjective.
Re: After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? by Nobody: 11:52pm On Feb 01, 2013
401kk: There's no such thing. Morality is subjective.

true.....
Re: After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? by Nobody: 12:03am On Feb 02, 2013
401kk: There's no such thing. Morality is subjective.

Morality is objective
Re: After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? by Affiliated(m): 12:14am On Feb 02, 2013
J12:

Morality is objective

Usually I'll beg to differ but this time I'll just go ahead and differ like a boss.

Morality can never be objective
Re: After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? by Nobody: 12:20am On Feb 02, 2013
Affiliated:

Usually I'll beg to differ but this time I'll just go ahead and differ like a boss.

Morality can never be objective

There are absolute moral laws that all human societies abide by. Example- Murder and Ràpe are crimes in all societies.
Re: After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? by Affiliated(m): 12:47am On Feb 02, 2013
J12:

There are absolute moral laws that all human societies abide by. Example- Murder and Ràpe are crimes in all societies.

I doubt that has really been the case throughout history but even if it has, that's still subjective.

The relevant definition of objective from my dictionary is 3 a : expressing or dealing with facts or conditions as perceived without distortion by personal feelings, prejudices, or interpretations *objective art* *an objective history of the war* *an objective judgment*

Morality by its nature must be subjective because it doesn't deal with facts but personal feelings and in cases where there is a universal feeling about a subject matter e.g ràpe or murder, its still a feeling hence subjective
Re: After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? by tobechi20(m): 8:51am On Feb 02, 2013
Logicboy03:

and there is no problem with atheist morality?? Smh: epic fail
Re: After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? by tobechi20(m): 8:57am On Feb 02, 2013
Logicboy03:

Uprightly moral
you just interchanged two words....
Re: After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? by tobechi20(m): 9:05am On Feb 02, 2013
Atheist and religous are on same page
Re: After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? by Nobody: 11:14am On Feb 02, 2013
Affiliated:

I doubt that has really been the case throughout history but even if it has, that's still subjective.

The relevant definition of objective from my dictionary is 3 a : expressing or dealing with facts or conditions as perceived without distortion by personal feelings, prejudices, or interpretations *objective art* *an objective history of the war* *an objective judgment*

Morality by its nature must be subjective because it doesn't deal with facts but personal feelings and in cases where there is a universal feeling about a subject matter e.g ràpe or murder, its still a feeling hence subjective

On paper, morality is subjective. Realistically, it isn't. Most things that matter in life aren't based on facts. Rather, they're based on truths
Re: After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Feb 02, 2013
tobechi20:

and there is no problem with atheist morality?? Smh: epic fail

There is no such thing as atheist morality. Try again.

Religious morality has a psychopathic edge
Re: After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? by Affiliated(m): 12:16pm On Feb 02, 2013
J12:

On paper, morality is subjective. Realistically, it isn't. Most things that matter in life aren't based on facts. Rather, they're based on truths

If it isn't based on facts then it isn't objective. On another note, what is truth?

1 Like

Re: After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? by plaetton: 2:45pm On Feb 02, 2013
Affiliated: Atheists who are moral are moral because it is the right thing to do and that to me is the purest form of morality. It comes from within an individual

That is why I have the conviction that religion is a fraud in every way you look at it.

Look it at this way: It is a system that encourages fraudulent people to exploit weaker minded people by selling to them(for money) a fraudulent history, fraudulent doctrines, fraudulent and contradictory moral philosophies, greed and personal irresponsiblity, and ofcourse, bigotry and hate.

The buyers and consumers of such fraudulent packages, themselves, become enticed and corrupted, substituting their own traditional or homebred sense of responsibility with their new shiny , but worthless product.
They then begin to live in , and act out the moral contradictions and delusions of their purchased (more like swindled) faith.

Religion, especially the Abrahamic religions, are among the very few philosophical systems that not only act as the perfect camouflage for morally deficient people people,but actually, corrupts and degrades the ethical and moral standards of an individual, simply because the religious scriptures can be easily invoked and interpreted to justify any sort of evil,immoral or unethical behaviour.

2 Likes

Re: After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? by Affiliated(m): 11:34pm On Feb 02, 2013
plaetton:

That is why I have the conviction that religion is a fraud in every way you look at it.

Look it at this way: It is a system that encourages fraudulent people to exploit weaker minded people by selling to them(for money) a fraudulent history, fraudulent doctrines, fraudulent and contradictory moral philosophies, greed and personal irresponsiblity, and ofcourse, bigotry and hate.

The buyers and consumers of such fraudulent packages, themselves, become enticed and corrupted, substituting their own traditional or homebred sense of responsibility with their new shiny , but worthless product.
They then begin to live in , and act out the moral contradictions and delusions of their purchased (more like swindled) faith.

Religion, especially the Abrahamic religions, are among the very few philosophical systems that not only act as the perfect camouflage for morally deficient people people,but actually, corrupts and degrades the ethical and moral standards of an individual, simply because the religious scriptures can be easily invoked and interpreted to justify any sort of evil,immoral or unethical behaviour.

Nice

2 Likes

Re: After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? by Nobody: 1:16pm On Feb 04, 2013
tobechi20: you just interchanged two words....

lol
Re: After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? by Nobody: 10:29pm On Feb 04, 2013
Affiliated:

If it isn't based on facts then it isn't objective. On another note, what is truth?

What do you call facts?

Truth is that which agrees with reality.
Re: After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? by Nobody: 10:33pm On Feb 04, 2013
plaetton:

You didn't make any sense whatsoever.
Tell me exactly how Christianity is fraudulent?
Re: After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? by Affiliated(m): 10:46pm On Feb 04, 2013
J12:

What do you call facts?

Truth is that which agrees with reality.

Fact: 5 : a piece of information presented as having objective reality. [Merriam-Webster]

In that case truth is also subjective because reality as we know it itself is subjective. In other words reality to me is different from reality to you.

But facts are however objective. They are the parts of our realities that all agree
Re: After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? by UyiIredia(m): 7:39pm On Feb 05, 2013
No, atheists aren't more moral.
Re: After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? by Nobody: 8:04pm On Feb 05, 2013
Affiliated:

Fact: 5 : a piece of information presented as having objective reality. [Merriam-Webster]

In that case truth is also subjective because reality as we know it itself is subjective. In other words reality to me is different from reality to you.

But facts are however objective. They are the parts of our realities that all agree

Morality(right and wrong) is an objective reality, and it will always be. True or false?
Re: After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? by Affiliated(m): 9:59pm On Feb 05, 2013
J12:

Morality(right and wrong) is an objective reality, and it will always be. True or false?

Objective: expressing or dealing with facts or conditions as perceived without distortion by personal feelings, prejudices, or interpretations

Reality: the quality or state of being real

The views on right and wrong differ between individuals. I'm sure some of the things that are right to me are wrong to you for example I see nothing wrong in homosexual people's orientation but I'm sure homosexuality would be wrong to you.
So how can morality be an objective reality? To answer your question "NO" and it will never be
Re: After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious? by ooman(m): 10:18pm On Feb 05, 2013
Atheist are the most intelligent and biologically moral people.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Where Should Your First Salary Go? Your Parents Or Church? / Where Is Jesus PHYSICALLY Right Now? / Results Of The Just Concluded Nat. Qur'an Recitation Musaabaqah Held In Ilorin.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.