Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,779 members, 7,802,395 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:39 PM

Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? (10302 Views)

Ordeal Of A Jobseeker Today In Victoria Island,pls Beware / See Ds Interesting Thread I Saw On Twitter,Shows Reality Of Life As A JobSeeker / How A Jobseeker Responded To A Company’s Rejection Letter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by Bolt2011(m): 3:46pm On Feb 02, 2013
I believe there are so many Nigerian youths just like me that fall into this category considering the 'man-know-man' syndrome, which determines who gets employed. By "jobless", I don't mean idle. I know there are different kinds of jobs but here I mean your "dream job". That kind of job that will start you up, that will enable you live your dreams. A kind of reward for your hardwork.

You are not sharing your experience because you want to be pitied, but to serve as a source of motivation to someone who has or is almost giving up. Some of us know how it feels like to stay for 3 months without a job. Let me go first

I finished serving about 3 years ago being very certain that in the shortest possible time, my 'allowee' will turn to salary, khaki to italian suit, jungle boots to italian shoes blablabla, considering my class of degree and associated qualities. I attended my first interview 3 months after service but it didn't work out.

Several books on excelling at job interviews, GMAT, GRE, job forums before aptitude tests and interviews yielded no result. I also applied for masters scholarships (local and international) but wasn't shortlisted.

By God's grace and with the help of my family and friends, I am rounding up my masters programme (though in a Nigerian University).

The feelings of not having a job is almost frequent but God has been faithful. Sometimes miraculously but I manage to overcome some financial hurdles. Mind you, I am not slothful; I engage in LEGAL runs and deals that fetch me cash but still looking forward to that level where I will be at least 80 percent financially independent.

I also worship in a living church where I get the desired nourishment for my soul. Three years is almost gone, but I'm still very positive and hopeful.

0ne, two, five or several years as an applicant, how have you been coping? Share your experience

7 Likes

Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by Freezle(m): 5:21pm On Feb 02, 2013
nice one bolt.
For me i graduated from a respected school here in Nigeria after than i went on for my service. after my service<NYSC> i thought i work but when i tried searching for a job it was becoming tedious and unwise for me to just sit at home saying im looking for a job so i decided to go for my Msc.
currently im done with my Msc so im hoping by GOD grace something would come up. im also trying to get my self in some professional courses not to keep me idle.
just watch and pray by GOD grace everything would work out well.

1 Like

Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by okpas111: 5:39pm On Feb 02, 2013
DO YOU KNOW THAT MOST NIGERIANS ARE THE COURSE OF THEIR PROBLEMS? BUT ITS NEVER TOO LATE TO DO THAT COS YOU CAN STILL MAKE MUCH MONEY THAN YOU CAN EVER IMAGINE, FOR JUST DOING WHAT YOU DO ALL DAY FOR FREE (TALKING).

2 Likes

Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by Bolt2011(m): 6:09pm On Feb 02, 2013
Freezle: nice one bolt.
For me i graduated from a respected school here in Nigeria after than i went on for my service. after my service<NYSC> i thought i work but when i tried searching for a job it was becoming tedious and unwise for me to just sit at home saying im looking for a job so i decided to go for my Msc.
currently im done with my Msc so im hoping by GOD grace something would come up. im also trying to get my self in some professional courses not to keep me idle.
just watch and pray by GOD grace everything would work out well.

Thanks Freezle, thank God for you o. I'm sure you know not many people can further their studies cos of financial and other constraints. This thread was opened to motivate and encourage such people. There's light at the end of the tunnel but not everyone sees the end. Cheers

1 Like

Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by Bolt2011(m): 6:15pm On Feb 02, 2013
okpas111: DO YOU KNOW THAT MOST NIGERIANS ARE THE COURSE OF THEIR PROBLEMS? BUT ITS NEVER TOO LATE TO DO THAT COS YOU CAN STILL MAKE MUCH MONEY THAN YOU CAN EVER IMAGINE, FOR JUST DOING WHAT YOU DO ALL DAY FOR FREE (TALKING).

That's true, Nigerian youths should be encouraged to be innovative. It will be nice if you share some ideas on how to make money by talking cos not everyone can be motivational speakers or comedians. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by Nobody: 7:43pm On Feb 02, 2013
Bolt2011: I believe there are so many Nigerian youths just like me that fall into this category considering the 'man-know-man' syndrome, which determines who gets employed. By "jobless", I don't mean idle. I know there are different kinds of jobs but here I mean your "dream job". That kind of job that will start you up, that will enable you live your dreams. A kind of reward for your hardwork.
You are not sharing your experience because you want to be pitied, but to serve as a source of motivation to someone who has or is almost giving up. Some of us know how it feels like to stay for 3 months without a job. Let me go first
I finished serving about 3 years ago being very certain that in the shortest possible time, my 'allowee' will turn to salary, khaki to italian suit, jungle boots to italian shoes blablabla, considering my class of degree and associated qualities. I attended my first interview 3 months after service but it didn't work out. Several books on excelling at job interviews, GMAT, GRE, job forums before aptitude tests and interviews yielded no result. I also applied for masters scholarships (local and international) but wasn't shortlisted.
By God's grace and with the help of my family and friends, I am rounding up my masters programme (though in a Nigerian University). The feelings of not having a job is almost frequent but God has been faithful. Sometimes miraculously but I manage to overcome some financial hurdles. Mind you, I am not slothful; I engage in LEGAL runs and deals that fetch me cash but still looking forward to that level where I will be at least 80 percent financially independent. I also worship in a living church where I get the desired nourishment for my soul. Three years is almost gone, but I'm still very positive and hopeful.
0ne, two, five or several years as an applicant, how have you been coping? Share your experience
This thread should make front page so as to encourage applicants, and serve as a morale booster. Though suggest the title should be renamed "Still an applicant? How have you been coping". "Applicant" is a good euphemism for "jobless"
The bolded is not true. You don't have to know anybody before getting a job. Many are getting jobs everyday without knowing anybody. Learn to accept responsibility. It will help you in all your actions in life. I wish you the best in all your endeavours,

2 Likes

Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by Bolt2011(m): 8:43pm On Feb 02, 2013
Thanks X-fire, I'll modify the topic asap.
Over to you Mod cheesy
Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by ecolime(m): 4:32am On Feb 03, 2013
I'm a serving youth corp but will be through by June. Any advice for me?
Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by sixteen08(m): 7:41am On Feb 03, 2013
@ecolime best bet is start applyin nw infact start bombin dem wit ur cv cos if u wait till pop u might b dealing ursef d unfavorable cards......and also commit ur ways 2 God(dats paramount)

3 Likes

Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by ecolime(m): 7:52am On Feb 03, 2013
sixteen08: @ecolime best bet is start applyin nw infact start bombin dem wit ur cv cos if u wait till pop u might b dealing ursef d unfavorable cards......and also commit ur ways 2 God(dats paramount)
I've already started doing that. Thanks a lot bro.
Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by Bolt2011(m): 12:49pm On Feb 03, 2013
ecolime: I'm a serving youth corp but will be through by June. Any advice for me?

Welcome Ecolime. Just as the other poster has said, you must prepare ahead. I encourage you to believe in God and in yourself. Believe that what you have can get you what you want. But the important question I want you to ask yourself and answer before your POP is "What do I really want in life?" You should be very certain of that so that you don't live at the mercy of others or what the society has to offer. Do you want a job first or you want to further your education or you want to be self-employed? Ask yourself, seek God's face and He will direct you. Don't give up if you didn't get a job after some tests and interviews, keep your dreams and guard them jealously.
Learn to recognise opportunities and cease them. Best of luck

2 Likes

Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by ecolime(m): 3:34pm On Feb 03, 2013
@Bolt2011: My number one priority and heart desire is getting a good job immediately after service and am working and praying towards it. I prefer a pay-free internship programme to gather experience in the absence of a job to a masters degree. I will surely do my masters but that will be much later in my career life. I'm really grateful for your inspiring response. God bless you so much.

1 Like

Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by sixteen08(m): 3:51pm On Feb 03, 2013
@ecolime if ur bent on gettin a job den personal development is key in achieving ur goal......make sure u are thoroughly prepared 4 whatever sector of d economy u would like 2 work in....cos what u do in d meantime goes along way in determining d way u handle early opportunities dat come ur way......
Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by ecolime(m): 4:28pm On Feb 03, 2013
@Sixteen08: I am well grounded in my discipline and I read a lot to stay abreast of happenings in the industry. It's just that I feel daunted at times due to the much talked about Nigerian factor "godfatherism" because I don't know any highly placed person apart from God. I will continue to keep my hope alive, prepare myself ahead intellectually and trust in Gods grace and favour. Thanks so much.
Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Feb 03, 2013
stories like this kinda scare me. I can't imagin comin outta school without a job. Though i'd be serving by march, it's been mixed feelings for me cos it'l be expected of me to be 100% independent henceforth. I'd keep hopin for the best, while i strive hard to build myself. Nice thread anyways. .

2 Likes

Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Feb 03, 2013
ecolime: @Sixteen08: I am well grounded in my discipline and I read a lot to stay abreast of happenings in the industry. It's just that I feel daunted at times due to the much talked about Nigerian factor "godfatherism" because I don't know any highly placed person apart from God. I will continue to keep my hope alive, prepare myself ahead intellectually and trust in Gods grace and favour. Thanks so much.
I keep saying this: You don't have to know anybody before getting a good job in Nigeria. Remove that thought from your mind, because such mindset can affect your disposition towards the labour market.
I am a witness. I have worked with a few major organizations in Nigeria. I didn't know anybody. No responsible organization will recruit solely based on "man-know-man". Just believe in yourself and don't be intimidated by the large crowd of applicants during the recruitment processes. I'm not saying you can't network anyway.

2 Likes

Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by ecolime(m): 6:53pm On Feb 03, 2013
x-fire:

I keep saying this: You don't have to know anybody before getting a good job in Nigeria. Remove that thought from your mind, because such mindset can affect your disposition towards the labour market.
I am a witness. I have worked with a few major organizations in Nigeria. I didn't know anybody. No responsible organization will recruit solely based on "man-know-man". Just believe in yourself and don't be intimidated by the large crowd of applicants during the recruitment processes. I'm not saying you can't network anyway.
I've learnt so much from you guys. I'm keeping my mind clean and open. There's nothing to loose but there is so much to gain in having a positive view about things. Thanks a lot for these piece.
Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by sixteen08(m): 7:46pm On Feb 03, 2013
@ecolime jus be positive(trust in God) and be realistic....by being realistic I mean U shud do a thorough analysis of ur strenght,weakness,opportunities u can tap in2 e.g networkin,threat e.g economic situation in nig......I'll advise u work on Ur weakness in order 2 be better in such area .....also I'll advise u start practisin shl,saville row,gmat n gre in order 2 perfect d art of solvin aptitude tests sharperly,bomb ur cv relentlessly(I don't mean u send ur cv 4 jobs ur not qualified 4),visit compAnies website and send dem unsolicited applications wit cover letter,route job sites,network and leverage on friends,family and acquintances 4 job offers and most importantly trust in God with all ur heart n he'll guide U....like dey say faith without work is dead,dead in dat context is real hardwork .....I mean real hard intellectual wrk.....and @ d end of d day u'll surely smile n b better off
My 2cents

1 Like

Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by sixteen08(m): 8:13pm On Feb 03, 2013
saville row was a mistake I wanted 2 write saville online test

1 Like

Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by ecolime(m): 8:26pm On Feb 03, 2013
sixteen08: @ecolime jus be positive(trust in God) and be realistic....by being realistic I mean U shud do a thorough analysis of ur strenght,weakness,opportunities u can tap in2 e.g networkin,threat e.g economic situation in nig......I'll advise u work on Ur weakness in order 2 be better in such area .....also I'll advise u start practisin shl,saville row,gmat n gre in order 2 perfect d art of solvin aptitude tests sharperly,bomb ur cv relentlessly(I don't mean u send ur cv 4 jobs ur not qualified 4),visit compAnies website and send dem unsolicited applications wit cover letter,route job sites,network and leverage on friends,family and acquintances 4 job offers and most importantly trust in God with all ur heart n he'll guide U....like dey say faith without work is dead,dead in dat context is real hardwork .....I mean real hard intellectual wrk.....and @ d end of d day u'll surely smile n b better off
My 2cents
I'm sorry everyone for quoting the whole message. I had to do so because it's really loaded. I have started practising different aptitude test materials and developing myself relentlessly in all areas. I really hope to be back here soonest to give a testimony comment and also to start advicing people as well. May God grant us all our heart desires. Thank you sir! cheesy
Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by kristosky(m): 8:40pm On Feb 03, 2013
At scad,u gaz do ur best nw dat u hav time,and mostly do commit ur endeavours and preparation unto God

1 Like

Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by ecolime(m): 9:02pm On Feb 03, 2013
kristosky: At scad,u gaz do ur best nw dat u hav time,and mostly do commit ur endeavours and preparation unto God
Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by Nobody: 10:58pm On Feb 03, 2013
Nobody is considering starting up something, everybody wants to get a job when actually their are limited jobs.

2 Likes

Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by rubi96(f): 12:00pm On Feb 04, 2013
Cajetan speaks: Nobody is considering starting up something, everybody wants to get a job when actually their are limited jobs.
not everyone has the fund to start up something, some actually need to work to get the fund before they can set up a business.

3 Likes

Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by Maya2pretty(f): 1:05pm On Feb 04, 2013
Am frustrated!!! cry I finished service one year ago, so much disappointments, attended interviews, passed, oya call 4 resumption na, no way, my dad isn't even makin matters easy 4 me.
Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by gbagelat(m): 1:12pm On Feb 04, 2013
It sound very intresting
Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by Okijajuju1(m): 3:56pm On Feb 04, 2013
Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by Bolt2011(m): 4:05pm On Feb 04, 2013
Maya2pretty: Am frustrated!!! cry I finished service one year ago, so much disappointments, attended interviews, passed, oya call 4 resumption na, no way, my dad isn't even makin matters easy 4 me.

No need to be frustrated Maya, I'm sure topics like this can motivate you. Look inwards and around you, there are things you derive joy and motivation from. Get busy, learn a trade or go for a professional course, maybe in computers if you can afford it while you hopefully wait for your dream job. Pray hard and believe in God. Happiness is a choice, stay with people that understand and encourage you. It will end in a testimony. Cheers

1 Like

Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by Revolva(m): 4:05pm On Feb 04, 2013
I don't wanna be an applicant I wanna be a boss on ma own -- I just need loans..to start business .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

ICS LTD Aptitude Test And Interview / URGENT: VIC LAWRENCE.VLA For Polaris Bank / Federal Civil Service Commission 2014 Foreign Affairs Officers Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.