Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,676 members, 7,801,950 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:43 AM

CAF Blames BON For AFCON TV Blackout - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / CAF Blames BON For AFCON TV Blackout (11058 Views)

Nigerians Blame Sunday Oliseh For Nigeria's Failure To Qualify For AFCON 2017 / Nigeria Vs Sudan: Afcon Qualifiers (3 - 1) On 15th October 2014 / Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

CAF Blames BON For AFCON TV Blackout by Sirmee(m): 4:09pm On Feb 02, 2013
The Confederation of African Football has laid the blame for Nigerians’ inability to watch the Africa Cup of Nations on terrestrial television at the feet of BON
Nigeria was blacked out from the Afcon as a result of disagreement between the Broadcasting Organisation of Nigeria (BON) and LC2, the agency that is responsible for marketing the television rights to member nations in Africa.

BON was negotiating to pay $1.5 million for the television rights but LC2 initially asked for eight million Euros which it later cut down to 4.5 million Euros. But BON refused to pay, hence Nigerian fans are unable to watch their darling Super Eagles on terrestrial television.

El Amrani said Caf has to continue to sustain itself and has to stay in business so they need to do the business in the best way.

“CAF needs to secure two things. The first is to sustain the maximum coverage of the competition and the other is to respect the laws of the market and the prices,” he said.

“We cannot sell to someone who wants to buy at 20 times less than the usual price, we cannot do this otherwise we will have to close our doors. We cannot survive if we do not sustain the minimum value of our television rights.

“We have seen steady progress in the Nations Cup in the last few years, this is because we are self-sustaining and financially independent.

“Nigeria will go and purchase an English package or European football package at the right price but they want to purchase our package free or at a ridiculous price. We cannot go ahead with that, there is a minimum balance we have to maintain,” El Amrani explained.
www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4687/2013-africa-cup-of-nations/2013/02/02/3720296/afcon-tv-blackout-caf-blames-nigeria-for-ridiculous-offer?source=breakingnews&ICID=HP_BN_2

Re: CAF Blames BON For AFCON TV Blackout by Chanchit: 4:37pm On Feb 02, 2013
Did he remember to say how much they collected from other countries..? Hediots. because they knw we have a useless gov't they want to eat their national cake too, to hell with the nations cup.

33 Likes

Re: CAF Blames BON For AFCON TV Blackout by RedLight1: 2:40am On Feb 03, 2013
“Nigeria will go and purchase an English package or European football package at the right price but they want to purchase our package free or at a ridiculous price.
another ridiculous excuse from stupid caf... which terrestrial station(s) show european matches in Nigeria

by the way ... is that enough reason to demand ridiculous amount from us and demand less from other nations?... abeg to hell with issa hayatou, caf and afcon ... mtchew

7 Likes

Re: CAF Blames BON For AFCON TV Blackout by Xfactoria: 2:43am On Feb 03, 2013
This CAF guy na fool!

Now that Nigeria didn't pay a dime and CAF got nothing, would CAF go bankrupt? Whose loss is it?

How much did other countries pay for the right? I am sure if BON was asked to pay the same fees as other countries, they would not object. CAF obviously wanted to exploit the huge population of Nigeria for gains. Well, they got their fingers burnt.

I still stand with BON on this.

18 Likes

Re: CAF Blames BON For AFCON TV Blackout by braine(m): 2:43am On Feb 03, 2013
Eight million Euros for what? The stadia and players are made of gold?? undecided undecided
No weapon fashioned against us shall prosper.

23 Likes

Re: CAF Blames BON For AFCON TV Blackout by Nobody: 2:48am On Feb 03, 2013
Red-Light:
another ridiculous excuse from stupid caf... which terrestrial station(s) show european matches in Nigeria

by the way ... is that enough reason to demand ridiculous amount from us and demand less from other nations?... abeg to hell with issa hayatou, ... mtchew

Exactly, the right's holders never thought that it's mainly PAY TV stations that broadcast European matches in Nigeria. Why LC2 (the rights holders) considered $1.5million as 'ridiculous' is beyond me. Afterall, d tournament is already branded.

CAF should take away the power of LC2 to sell their (CAF) broadcast rights, and instead retain them. FIFA is the sole seller of the World Cup broadcast rights.

2 Likes

Re: CAF Blames BON For AFCON TV Blackout by AreaFada2: 2:54am On Feb 03, 2013
So we can now see why refrees are punishing SE on the pitch with ridiculous decisions from what I hear people say.
CAF is angry.

They wanted to do "I go chop your dollar" to Naija but dem no say 419 na section of Naija penal code.

Dem wan beat the master. Whosai. Maga no pay. grin

I have not watched a single of their games so far even with live options avilable. Not interested.

Even LC2/CAF want a share of our oyel moni. Just because our politicians corrupt, they think say we be foolish man wey plant mango for road.

17 Likes

Re: CAF Blames BON For AFCON TV Blackout by phoneport247: 2:56am On Feb 03, 2013
Nigeria, how many are thy woes?
Thou sure needth a deliverer
Re: CAF Blames BON For AFCON TV Blackout by born2boink(m): 3:32am On Feb 03, 2013
CAF don use head knack ground. Dem think say Nigeria be fool, I trust nigeria my country, instead nigeria to pay them the big amount, nigeria will work on way of diverting their entire money into just one person account for naija. Nigeria are to smart to be scam by ordinary entire africa.

3 Likes

Re: CAF Blames BON For AFCON TV Blackout by dayorx(m): 3:32am On Feb 03, 2013
sebi the competition is almost over now, CAF should take their broadcast rights and shove it up their ass. its turned out to be the most boring AFCON ever.useless people 4.5 million Euros for a branded competition, crap it would not have been profitable for Nigerian TV stations any way, d big spenders i.e. GLO,MTN etcwould have stayed off...... who's laffin now? grin

5 Likes

Re: CAF Blames BON For AFCON TV Blackout by Jesuspikin87(m): 4:04am On Feb 03, 2013
CAF! Una don dey madt abi BON......Nice move jare.
Incase Nigeria wins this tournament, of which I know they would win. Don't ever pay for right again. Except it's free.

2 Likes

Re: CAF Blames BON For AFCON TV Blackout by Akshow: 4:13am On Feb 03, 2013
I still insist this is not enough reason for us not to watch afcon on our local stations. Ok 8mil euros is ridiculous but They reduced it to half of that. How much is that money compared to money earmarked for one stupid project or the other. When the first lady has billions allocated for her mission house. What I'm sayin is football is the only thin that unite us in this God forsaken country. This act goes ahead to prove that our useless govt dont give a damn about the masses!

5 Likes

Re: CAF Blames BON For AFCON TV Blackout by stansmart(m): 4:32am On Feb 03, 2013
una dey mak me laugh how can Nigeria pay d same amount with other countries? so do u tink Nigeria pays the same amount with Ghana for premiership rights? this is economics, stuffs lik media coverage, population and other factors determine d price. Just recently NBC acquired premiership rights in the USA for 250 million dollars and i tink Nigeria gets d rights for 10m dols so judging by ur own reasoning why is USA not paying the same amount as Nigeria. mak una open una brain tink.

1 Like

Re: CAF Blames BON For AFCON TV Blackout by honeypie143: 4:50am On Feb 03, 2013
Akshow: I still insist this is not enough reason for us not to watch afcon on our local stations. Ok 8mil euros is ridiculous but They reduced it to half of that. How much is that money compared to money earmarked for one stupid project or the other. When the first lady has billions allocated for her mission house. What I'm sayin is football is the only thin that unite us in this God forsaken country. This act goes ahead to prove that our useless govt dont give a damn about the masses!

Where dem born you papa be god forsaken country? Ode go drop the money Dey talk pho ney for hear

4 Likes

Re: CAF Blames BON For AFCON TV Blackout by Bishop4bella(m): 4:53am On Feb 03, 2013
I dont blame caf its because they do not knw Nigerians. Hw many people watch local stations in their various homes and their short cut to porpular dstv and other sats
Re: CAF Blames BON For AFCON TV Blackout by rumours: 5:20am On Feb 03, 2013
But seriously, has 9ja been paying this kind of outrageous amount in the past? Who and who has been negotiating it for us? They would stolen plenty over the years in the name of getting AFCON on our terrestrial TV! They need to probe those people who negotiated this viewing right in the past. They need to tell us how much they have stolen.

1 Like

Re: CAF Blames BON For AFCON TV Blackout by mikron(m): 5:28am On Feb 03, 2013
well Nigeria is synonymous with wealth so they (caf) wants to eat their own too. mchhhwww
Re: CAF Blames BON For AFCON TV Blackout by Pato30(m): 5:49am On Feb 03, 2013
The super eagles are not even playing any gud futball to deserve showing it to some 'die hard fans', so its better we didn't pay for heart attack and eventual death. To hell wif caf/LC2

1 Like

Re: CAF Blames BON For AFCON TV Blackout by caesaraba(m): 6:05am On Feb 03, 2013
Mehn, I know we have a bad govt, etc etc blah blah.....but! On this issue, BON got it right. At least make we talk "NO" for something. Next time, the price they'll offer to us will be lower. AFCON no dy finish this year na.

Free-to-Air stations like CRTV and RTS are showing all the matches live but still not all the matches are even interesting to watch.

2 Likes

Re: CAF Blames BON For AFCON TV Blackout by funshybam(m): 6:17am On Feb 03, 2013
Laughing in Spanish
Re: CAF Blames BON For AFCON TV Blackout by Hemanwel(m): 6:35am On Feb 03, 2013
In that case,over Issa Hayatou/CAF's dead body to see Super Eagles lift the trophy.
Abi we wan reap where we nor sow??
Too bad for African football!

2 Likes

Re: CAF Blames BON For AFCON TV Blackout by planetuzor(m): 6:35am On Feb 03, 2013
Laughing in Chinese: chinkonkontolochiachiachi

1 Like

Re: CAF Blames BON For AFCON TV Blackout by brixton: 6:42am On Feb 03, 2013
Nigerian masses blame caf/Lc2 for afcon tv blackout

Caf yimu cool shocked

1 Like

Re: CAF Blames BON For AFCON TV Blackout by Omexonomy: 6:42am On Feb 03, 2013
Akshow: I still insist this is not enough reason for us not to watch afcon on our local stations. Ok 8mil euros is ridiculous but They reduced it to half of that. How much is that money compared to money earmarked for one stupid project or the other. When the first lady has billions allocated for her mission house. What I'm sayin is football is the only thin that unite us in this God forsaken country. This act goes ahead to prove that our useless govt dont give a damn about the masses!
God has already forsake you for the rest of ur live just becos of footballers who play football like chicken
Re: CAF Blames BON For AFCON TV Blackout by question(m): 6:45am On Feb 03, 2013
In short.. for this CAF BuIIShit, I have instructed SE to make sure they win the AFCON trophy. tongue

2 Likes

Re: CAF Blames BON For AFCON TV Blackout by kolokolobi(m): 6:47am On Feb 03, 2013
Let's get it straight....BON could have done its homework by starting early to package the marketing of the tournament which I'm sure would have raised the money to pay for the TV rights. The deal was to try and get govt to pay...then the TV stations will now collect advert fees to their gain only. Its a known gimmick. They only remembered TV rights had to be paid few weeks to the competition? Its a nigerian thing...they wanted to stampeed the govt to paying....bon I mean...it just didn't work out this time around.

1 Like

Re: CAF Blames BON For AFCON TV Blackout by Nobody: 6:58am On Feb 03, 2013
wow that much money to watch football played on cement ground they called grass
tufiakwa

1 Like

Re: CAF Blames BON For AFCON TV Blackout by KINGwax(m): 7:03am On Feb 03, 2013
na ur house be God forsaken. Shey u are so dumb u dnt knw BON is not directly connected to the govt? After the yr's allocation which is as scanty as ever, av u heard in any news dt the feds gave 1million naira to BON?
They are indirectly independent so shut up!!!
Re: CAF Blames BON For AFCON TV Blackout by Nobody: 7:06am On Feb 03, 2013
Am not complaining Nigerians are not complaining afterall when we pay Caf refrees will still cheat us.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

DOWNLOAD VIDEO: Real Madrid Vs Real Sociedad 5-2 – Highlights & Goals / Usain Bolt Shocked By Surprise Drug Test Notice / Obinna Ekezie Celebrates His 45th Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.