Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,058 members, 7,807,184 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:46 AM

7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder (1887 Views)

Why Religion Is Clueless ( Section 2) / WHY Religion Is Clueless / Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder by Nobody: 3:27am On Feb 03, 2013
From the geniuses at reddit;

7 Reasons why Religion is a Mental Disorder
(1) Hallucinations - the person has invisible friends who (s)he insists are real, and to whom (s)he speaks daily, even though nobody can actually see or hear these friends

(2) Delusions - the patient believes that the invisible person has magical powers to make them rich, cure cancer, bring about world peace, and will do so eventually if asked.

(3) Denial/Inability to learn - though the requests for world peace remain unanswered, even after hundreds of years, the patients persist with the praying behavior, each time expecting different results

(4) Inability to distinguish fantasy from reality - the beliefs are contingent upon ancient mythology being accepted as historical fact.

(5) Paranoia - the belief that anyone who does not share their supernatural concept of reality is "evil," "the devil," "an agent of Satan"

(6) Emotional abuse - ­ religious concepts such as sin, hell, cause feelings of guilt, shame, fear, and other types of emotional "baggage" which can scar the psyche for life

(7) Violence - many patients insist that others should share in their delusions, even to the extent of using harassment and violence.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder by Nobody: 3:44am On Feb 03, 2013
ok and your point is? grin
Re: 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder by Nobody: 3:45am On Feb 03, 2013
davidylan: ok and your point is? grin

You have a virus of the mind
Re: 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder by Nobody: 3:56am On Feb 03, 2013
Logicboy03:

You have a virus of the mind

ok and your point is? cheesy cheesy
Re: 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder by Nobody: 4:06am On Feb 03, 2013
davidylan:

ok and your point is? cheesy cheesy

That is the point. Many religious people are actually suffering from a mild form of delusions of grandeur and paranoia!
Re: 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder by Nobody: 4:53am On Feb 03, 2013
Logicboy03:

That is the point. Many religious people are actually suffering from a mild form of delusions of grandeur and paranoia!

ok and what are you going to do about it? cheesy
Re: 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder by Nobody: 7:12am On Feb 03, 2013
cheesy @op! Don't tell me you believe only in the imaginative concept of evolution by the scientists. 1. ђ☺ made up words? 2. ђ☺ made up numbers? 3. Why is there so many languages ΑϞ∂ ​♓☺w come about these plenty languages? Aside these, Do you believe in witchcraft ΑϞ∂ wizardry? Or do you believe that there are forces that operate in different realms on the earth? Do you believe in the metaphysical? If you believe in any of these, then you need an emergency psychological attention. EVIDENCE THAT YOU ARE DELUSIONAL: Thinking that those ђ☺ does not share the same school of thought with you are delusional, is an act of harassment ΑϞ∂ you are supposed to be in an asylum, with zillions of psychologist to rehabilitate you.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder by Bella3(f): 7:35am On Feb 03, 2013
Dude, do you even sleep?shocked
Re: 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder by Omexonomy: 8:54am On Feb 03, 2013
How did this become the first tread in this section.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder by onetrack(m): 9:01am On Feb 03, 2013
Omexonomy: How did this become the first tread in this section.

I was quite pleasantly surprised to see this. It's about time. I wouldn't go quite as far to say it's a mental disorder but rather a continuation of childhood fantasy. And there is a Bible verse which describes this perfectly:

"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me." 1 Corinthians 13:11
Re: 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder by Omexonomy: 9:03am On Feb 03, 2013
How did this become the first tread in this section.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder by turnstoner(m): 10:09am On Feb 03, 2013
Logicboy03: From the geniuses at reddit;

7 Reasons why Religion is a Mental Disorder
(1) Hallucinations - the person has invisible friends who (s)he insists are real, and to whom (s)he speaks daily, even though nobody can actually see or hear these friends

(2) Delusions - the patient believes that the invisible person has magical powers to make them rich, cure cancer, bring about world peace, and will do so eventually if asked.

(3) Denial/Inability to learn - though the requests for world peace remain unanswered, even after hundreds of years, the patients persist with the praying behavior, each time expecting different results

(4) Inability to distinguish fantasy from reality - the beliefs are contingent upon ancient mythology being accepted as historical fact.

(5) Paranoia - the belief that anyone who does not share their supernatural concept of reality is "evil," "the devil," "an agent of Satan"

(6) Emotional abuse - ­ religious concepts such as sin, hell, cause feelings of guilt, shame, fear, and other types of emotional "baggage" which can scar the psyche for life

(7) Violence - many patients insist that others should share in their delusions, even to the extent of using harassment and violence.

Religious Lunatics
Re: 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder by Nobody: 10:15am On Feb 03, 2013
turnstoner:

Religious Lunatics

The painful truth that some religionists dont want to hear
Re: 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder by Omexonomy: 10:48am On Feb 03, 2013
Logicboy03:

The painful truth that some religionists dont want to hear
did you fall on a trailer while typing this?
Re: 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder by Nobody: 10:51am On Feb 03, 2013
Bélla3: Dude, do you even sleep?shocked

Why? Were you thinking of me in bed?
Re: 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder by Bella3(f): 11:51am On Feb 03, 2013
Logicboy03:

Why? Were you thinking of me in bed?
yes, i had a vision...
I hope you know lack/inadequate sleep causes gibberish and confused talk?
Re: 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder by Nobody: 11:54am On Feb 03, 2013
Bélla3: yes, i had a vision...
I hope you know lack/inadequate sleep causes gibberish and confused talk?

True. But I sleep well
Re: 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder by Bella3(f): 12:01pm On Feb 03, 2013
Logicboy03:

True. But I sleep well
I honestly .doubt that.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder by Nobody: 12:04pm On Feb 03, 2013
Bélla3: I honestly .doubt that.

smiley

If you are so concerned you could always cuddle me to sleep.

Did you know that another symptom of religious disorder is continuously judging others?
Re: 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder by Bella3(f): 12:09pm On Feb 03, 2013
Logicboy03:

smiley

If you are so concerned you could always cuddle me to sleep.

Did you know that another symptom of religious disorder is continuously judging others?
That i agree. I think you suffer from that too. Okay lets call yours Irreligious disorder
Re: 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder by Enigma(m): 12:21pm On Feb 03, 2013
Omexonomy: How did this poo became the first tread in this section.

manmustwac showing his evangelical atheist credentials and flexing atheist muscle. smiley

Meanwhile if you post something not even half as bad as this about atheists, our friend will lock or delete the thread one time as "offensive". wink

Thin skinned people kawai. smiley
Re: 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder by Nobody: 12:27pm On Feb 03, 2013
Enigma:

manmustwac showing his evangelical atheist credentials and flexing atheist muscle. smiley

Meanwhile if you post something not even half as bad as this about atheists, our friend will lock or delete the thread one time as "offensive". wink

How hypocritical and delusional.

I complained to Jesoul about this thread over a week ago;
https://www.nairaland.com/762678/hate-atheists#9171146
Re: 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder by manmustwac(m): 12:55pm On Feb 03, 2013
Enigma:

Your just hurt because you can't debunk logic boys & deep down inside you, you know what he's saying is true.

Show me the evidence of the christian threads that I lock or delete?
Re: 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder by Enigma(m): 1:08pm On Feb 03, 2013
manmustwac: Your just hurt because you can't debunk logic boys & deep down inside you, you know what he's saying is true.

Show me the evidence of the christian threads that I lock or delete?

There is a shed load of threads that you locked disgracefully and out of bias just because it was "offensive" to atheists.

Because we nor dey talk you think say we no dey see ya bias. Yeyeful

Here is just one example: https://www.nairaland.com/752704/think-atheist-should-considered-mental#9086104

manmustwac: Topic title is offensive! LOCKED angry

And the God wey go catch you, the topic titles are almost identical. wink

Oh by the way are you also going to agree that the poster of that thread was saying truthful things that gave you "hurt" and which you know deep down inside you that you can't "debunk" and that is why you locked the thread? smiley

Thin skinned people kawai!
Re: 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder by manmustwac(m): 1:18pm On Feb 03, 2013
Well at the time I found that offensive & biased. Maybe I shoud've left it and modified the title & content but e don pass now & that was in 2011. If you don't like any of my decisions you can always leave a message in the complaints section & will always reconcider am only human
Re: 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder by Omexonomy: 1:22pm On Feb 03, 2013
Logicboy03:

How hypocritical and delusional.

I complained to Jesoul about this thread over a week ago;
https://www.nairaland.com/762678/hate-atheists#9171146

be sincere at least for once did a bycicle fall on you while typing this poo
Re: 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder by Enigma(m): 1:22pm On Feb 03, 2013
manmustwac: Well at the time I found that offensive & biased. Maybe I shoud've left it and modified the title & content but e don pass now & that was in 2011. If you don't like any of my decisions you can always leave a message in the complaints section & will always reconcider am only human

I don't have time for complaining about the nonsense here my friend.

In the past, I gently warned or needled you when you showed such bias; even my first post here was gentle and humorous but as you decide say you wan open ya own yansh na him you see just small consequence.

As I said, there are many other threads that you locked similarly with obvious and very shameful bias.

And finally: are you now going to lock this thread or not? wink
Re: 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder by manmustwac(m): 1:33pm On Feb 03, 2013
Enigma:

I don't have time for complaining about the nonsense here my friend.

In the past, I gently warned or needled you when you showed such bias; even my first post here was gentle and humorous but as you decide say you wan open ya own yansh na him you see just small consequence.

As I said, there are many other threads that you locked similarly with obvious and very shameful bias.

And finally: are you now going to lock this thread or not? wink
NO! wink
Re: 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder by Enigma(m): 1:36pm On Feb 03, 2013
NID

I didn't expect you to; you are too cowardly for that and won't want to lose face before your fellow evangelical atheists.

Make una enjoy unasefs.

Oh and finally: Thin skinned people kawai! smiley
Re: 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder by Bella3(f): 1:43pm On Feb 03, 2013
Enigma: NID

I didn't expect you to; you are too cowardly for that and won't want to lose face before your fellow evangelical atheists.

Make una enjoy unasefs.

Oh and finally: Thin skinned people kawai! smiley
gringrin
Re: 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder by Bella3(f): 1:44pm On Feb 03, 2013
manmustwac: Well at the time I found that offensive & biased. Maybe I shoud've left it and modified the title & content but e don pass now & that was in 2011. If you don't like any of my decisions you can always leave a message in the complaints section & will always reconcider am only human
Atleast you were a little sincer.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder by ooman(m): 11:41am On Feb 23, 2013
[size=15pt]Religion is an infection. GOD IS A PARASITE, ONLY ATHEISM CAN HEAL THE PEOPLE[/size]

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Bible Is Old And Am Scare Of Throwing It Away... / See What Happened In Nasarawa After A Crucifix Appeared In A Mosque / Biblical Authority And The Book Of Genesis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.