Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,970 members, 7,806,812 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:39 AM

We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs - Islam for Muslims (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs (31034 Views)

Desert Arabs Competing In Building Skyscrapers - Biggest Clock Tower In Mecca / Arabs Will Be Guided Forever And Ever Unlike Israel / Why Are Black Africans Moslems Considered Inferior By The Arabs Moslems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by drnoel: 2:27pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad: Asalam Alaykum.

Islam is a religion not just to he Arabs but to the whole world,Simply by saying 'there is no god apart from God.

شَهِدَ اللّهُ أَنَّهُ لاَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ هُوَ وَالْمَلاَئِكَةُ وَأُوْلُواْ الْعِلْمِ قَآئِمَاً بِالْقِسْطِ لاَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ هُوَ الْعَزِيزُ الْحَكِيمُ

God bears witness that there is no other god besides Him, and so do the angels and those who possess knowledge."(Verse 3:18)

there is a trend among Muslims which i find not just disturbing but wrong.muslims are submitters to the will of Allah not to the will of Arabs.
we are loosing our identity to the Arabs.the essence of naming is for Identity.when i hear the name Chidi,i know he is Igbo by tribe.but it would be difficult to tell whether Gafar that resides in Oshodi is yoruba,igbo,hausa or Arab.
i fear we are loosing our cultural heritage to the Arabs.i beg to differ there is no such thing as Islamic name.i am not saying Arabic names are bad,but we ought not loose our identity.
i grew up with an Arabic name as my first name,whenever i say my first name,people start asking are you Hausa?it will take me me some seconds to introduce my self.i have since adopted my tribal name as my first,arabic second.
i am proud of my race,i am proud to be called Yoruba.i am not loosing it,not for anything.

Masalam

leave tem let them talk
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by strangest(m): 2:27pm On Feb 05, 2013
To avoid being banned, please ensure that your post is not offensive to Islam.

yes boss... whats good for the goose, is good for the gender...
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by aribisala0(m): 2:31pm On Feb 05, 2013
maclatunji: OP, I am guessing your surname is also 'seen' as "Arabic" such as 'Lawal', 'Thanni' and the likes.

I think you are just an insecure individual. I use virtually all my names. Even some people call me other names that are not mine.

I have this neighbour that calls me 'Biodun', that is not my name. For some reason she cannot remember any of my names whether it is Arabic, Yoruba or Chinese. I just respond and laugh within myself anytime she does so.

So because someone is different from YOU,THE GREAT YOU, in how they see the world or react to events they are "INSECURE"

Look at your post and see how many times you refer to YOURSELF. This thread is NOT about YOU

I see nothing insecure in what he posted but a lot of that in YOU!! Your first words are direct and disrespectful clearly indicating a lack of self respect and disregard for others. you are the one with BIG ISSUES

9 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Burger01(m): 2:34pm On Feb 05, 2013
So, you mean to say Muslims are loosing their identities to the Arabs?... Abi no be so you talk?. But, who is to be blamed for that?
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by achi4u(m): 2:36pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

if i bear Abubakar the first thing that comes to your mind is,(arab)while i am yoruba.your name is your identity.i went through a lot trying to explain to people i am yoruba. if an arab converts to Christianity he/she need not change name.and you sure know Christianity is not an arab thing.the point is
IF AN ARAB CANNOT CHANGE HIS NAME WHY SHOULD I?
hahaha! my brother I love ur stance on this issue....stick to ur root and be proud.

Just like some christians naming their children Isreal...chei!

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by OluEmmaAss: 2:36pm On Feb 05, 2013
Na wa O!
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by alaoeri: 2:38pm On Feb 05, 2013
Don't know why the op is digging issue out of nothing or what 'll he say to lagosian bearing bucknor, smith, pedro so they have also lost their identity to the white abi.

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by seanet01: 2:41pm On Feb 05, 2013
Islam is a religion not just to he Arabs but to the whole world,Simply by saying 'there is no god apart from God.
شَهِدَ اللّهُ أَنَّهُ لاَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ هُوَ وَالْمَلاَئِكَةُ وَأُوْلُواْ الْعِلْمِ قَآئِمَاً بِالْقِسْطِ لاَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ هُوَ الْعَزِيزُ الْحَكِيمُ
God bears witness that there is no other god besides Him, and so do the angels and those who possess knowledge."(Verse 3:18)
there is a trend among Muslims which i find not just disturbing but wrong.muslims are submitters to the will of Allah not to the will of Arabs.
we are loosing our identity to the Arabs.the essence of naming is for Identity.when i hear the name Chidi,i know he is Igbo by tribe.but it would be difficult to tell whether Gafar that resides in Oshodi is yoruba,igbo,hausa or Arab.
i fear we are loosing our cultural heritage to the Arabs.i beg to differ there is no such thing as Islamic name.i am not saying Arabic names are bad,but we ought not loose our identity.
i grew up with an Arabic name as my first name,whenever i say my first name,people start asking are you Hausa?it will take me me some seconds to introduce my self.i have since adopted my tribal name as my first,arabic second.
i am proud of my race,i am proud to be called Yoruba.i am not loosing it,not for anything.
Masalam
Na wa o. True talk sha
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 2:43pm On Feb 05, 2013
aribisala0:
So because someone is different from YOU,THE GREAT YOU, in how they see the world or react to events they are "INSECURE"

Look at your post and see how many times you refer to YOURSELF. This thread is NOT about YOU

I see nothing insecure in what he posted but a lot of that in YOU!! Your first words are direct and disrespectful clearly indicating a lack of self respect and disregard for others. you are the one with BIG ISSUES

*standing ovation*
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 2:44pm On Feb 05, 2013
achi4u: hahaha! my brother I love ur stance on this issue....stick to ur root and be proud.

Just like some christians naming their children Isreal...chei!

same issue. we should learn to stick to our certain cultural heritage. imagine honorable tbaba not having any tribal names just arabic.gush

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by DatNiggaAk(m): 2:45pm On Feb 05, 2013
My boss in the office bears Mohammed D.
He is not a muslim and he is a Pastor in RCCG.

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Nobody: 2:45pm On Feb 05, 2013
Haven't you lost your identity in the first place by practising a religion that isn't yours, and originated from the Arabs?

Let's all return to the religion of our ancestors and modernise it.......

Our ancestors and the ancestors of the Arabs that wrote the Koran are both humans..........

3 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 2:46pm On Feb 05, 2013
alaoeri: Don't know why the op is digging issue out of nothing or what 'll he say to lagosian bearing bucknor, smith, pedro so they have also lost their identity to the white abi.

check the next thread to derail. if your thinking faculty is on vacation why not shutdown and stop embarrassing yourself.

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by vanstanzy(m): 2:46pm On Feb 05, 2013

Masalam

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by lafuria1(m): 2:48pm On Feb 05, 2013
dont even know how to respond to the op question because it is weird. losing identity to the arabs because am bearing ibrahim? seriously. how does bearing ibrahim change my appearance to arab. no one has ever asked me if i was arab but are you a muslim question. op displays same ignorance as the americans who belief arab means muslim.

am hausa, and the only way to prove it is to speak hausa, simple, no need for long explanation. have you ever meet a real arab man speak yoruba? so y should people doubt whether u are yoruba or not when u can speak d yoruba lang. so when u speak yoruba, they still believe u are arab because of ypur first name? wonders shall never end.

u should ask y are the yoruba losing dia cultures to islam instead. do u have a problem with arabic or arabs? which one.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 2:49pm On Feb 05, 2013
obo_man: Haven't you lost your identity in the first place by practising a religion that isn't yours, and originated from the Arabs?

Let's all return to the religion of our ancestors and modernise it.......

Our ancestors and the ancestors of the Arabs that wrote the Koran are both humans..........

thanks for the offer,I'LL PASS.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by vanstanzy(m): 2:50pm On Feb 05, 2013
alaoeri: Don't know why the op is digging issue out of nothing or what 'll he say to lagosian bearing bucknor, smith, pedro so they have also lost their identity to the white abi.

GBAM! He's just "MAKING A MOUNTAIN OUT OF A MOLE-HILL". And the MODs' deem this fit to be posted on the Front page, DAMN! .
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Peacefullife: 2:50pm On Feb 05, 2013
Bearing muslim names does not mean you are losing your identity to arabs. it means you are a proud muslim.

However, there are some names you will bear that are Haram in Islam. For instance, the name Ifatobi or Ogunshomi which promotes that other deities are supreme are completely Haram and muslims should not bear them.

Mind you, the Prophet (SAW) said the best of names are Abdul......

My advice
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by romanlaw(m): 2:51pm On Feb 05, 2013
PLS SORRY FOR DERAILING A BIT, WHATS THE MEANING OF : "DELE KOLAJOLU" ITS THE NAME OF MY CLIENT BUT AM CURIOUS TO KNOW THE MEANING.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by JimmyBoy1: 2:51pm On Feb 05, 2013
Perhaps arabic names makes one holier.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Bella3(f): 2:52pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

check the next thread to derail. if your thinking faculty is on vacation why not shutdown and stop embarrassing yourself.
grin
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by maclatunji: 2:53pm On Feb 05, 2013

@bolded, something like that. He says Herbert Macaulay and Henry Carr stopped being Yoruba men because of their English names. Fascinating mindset- I guess Barack Obama is not American too, Donald Trump might want to adopt OP. grin
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Mrchippychappy(m): 2:53pm On Feb 05, 2013
That's the slave mentality in Islam. Even the Muslims in places like Eastern Europe also answer Arabic names , Its a way of making the Arabs look superior to Muslims of other races .
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 2:54pm On Feb 05, 2013
la furia: dont even know how to respond to the op question because it is weird. losing identity to the arabs because am bearing ibrahim? seriously. how does bearing ibrahim change my appearance to arab. no one has ever asked me if i was arab but are you a muslim question. op displays same ignorance as the americans who belief arab means muslim.

am hausa, and the only way to prove it is to speak hausa, simple, no need for long explanation. have you ever meet a real arab man speak yoruba? so y should people doubt whether u are yoruba or not when u can speak d yoruba lang. so when u speak yoruba, they still believe u are arab because of ypur first name? wonders shall never end.

u should ask y are the yoruba losing dia cultures to islam instead. do u have a problem with arabic or arabs? which one.

now this is weirder

NAME: AHMAD RAZAQ ABUBAKAR
NATIONALITY: NIGERIAN

NOW THAT IS WEIRDER.

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by ignis: 2:55pm On Feb 05, 2013
hadbak: @ OP... don't forget to read/say your salat in yoruba language so that u will not loose ur identity to the Arabs..
Does Allah understand Yoruba?
I was told that its only arabic that Allah understands.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Mrchippychappy(m): 2:55pm On Feb 05, 2013
Peacefullife: Bearing muslim names does not mean you are losing your identity to arabs. it means you are a proud muslim.

However, there are some names you will bear that are Haram in Islam. For instance, the name Ifatobi or Ogunshomi which promotes that other deities are supreme are completely Haram and muslims should not bear them.

Mind you, the Prophet [size=15pt](SAW)[/size] said the best of names are Abdul......

My advice

S.A.W

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by maclatunji: 2:55pm On Feb 05, 2013
vanstanzy:

GBAM! He's just "MAKING A MOUNTAIN OUT OF A MOLE-HILL". And the MODs' deem this fit to be posted in the Front page .

Yeah! cheesy OP wants exposure for his idea, I don't see why he should not get it. It is a fascinating discussion.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 2:57pm On Feb 05, 2013
maclatunji:

@bolded, something like that. He says Herbert Macaulay and Henry Carr stopped being Yoruba men because of their English names. Fascinating mindset- I guess Barack Obama is not American too, Donald Trump might want to adopt OP. grin

SENATOR MAC i always taught you are smart,but i was so damn wrong.
do yourself a favor. take a cold shower,drink about 2 glass of cold water,restart your system and i believe you would be fine afterwards.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by maclatunji: 2:57pm On Feb 05, 2013
Mr.chippychappy:
That's the slave mentality in Islam. Even the Muslims in places like Eastern Europe also answer Arabic names , Its a way of making the Arabs look superior to Muslims of other races .

Let us see your full name. I am sure you have a foreign name- that would make you a slave to the culture that name originates from wouldn't it?
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by tintingz(m): 2:58pm On Feb 05, 2013
Bélla3: I am so liking this thread.
na every thread you dey like tongue
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by maclatunji: 2:58pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

SENATOR MAC i always taught you are smart,but i was so damn wrong.
do yourself a favor. take a cold shower,drink about 2 glass of cold water,restart your system and i believe you would be fine afterwards.

Got you didn't I. grin
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by lacasa: 3:00pm On Feb 05, 2013

Masalam

You highlighted a very good observation & a growing Trend in Nigeria.

I totally agree.

Nice one smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

How An American Lady Converted To Islam / Do You Know Who Killed Abu Jahl ? ¿ It Was Children ! Click To Read More / Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.