Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,419 members, 7,808,497 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:44 PM

'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year (9741 Views)

Photo: Chimamanda adichie With Her Handsome Husband / Chimamanda Adichie's New Hair Style: Like Or Dislike? / Chimamanda Adichie & Husband Ivara Esege (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Nobody: 4:55pm On Feb 04, 2013
Words cannot describe how much I love this woman........can't wait for this book. If it's by Chimamanda Adichie, sholly is buying and reading! Such a smart, strong, and independent woman. Her control of the English language when she speaks, the way her voice demands attention, ....*sigh*
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Nobody: 4:56pm On Feb 04, 2013
I hate the title of the book! I hate it!

I repeat, I hate the title of the book! I hate it! It doesn't tell well of a scholar like her. Indeed, it just proved one thing that she is not creative and prolific in given titles to her books that arose people's interest. I am not going to read that book in a century to come because I don't find the title interesting. It sounds Spanish and childish to me. What happens to African titles in her works?.

Jeez! She is becoming boring by the end of the day, as most Nigerian writers are.

1 Like

Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Nobody: 5:08pm On Feb 04, 2013
all4naija: I hate the title of the book! I hate it!

I repeat, I hate the title of the book! I hate it! It doesn't tell well of a scholar like her. Indeed, it just proved one thing that she is not creative and prolific in given titles to her books that arose people's interest. I am not going to read that book in a century to come because I don't find the title interesting. It sounds Spanish and childish to me. What happens to African titles in her works?.

Jeez! She is becoming boring by the end of the day, as most Nigerian writers are.

It's childish and sounds Spanish? It's boring when u haven't even read the book?! Stop hating, it's hindering your thinking capability
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by anonimi: 5:14pm On Feb 04, 2013
shakomende: The award winning writer who has been researching and writing her book as a Radcliffe African Studies fellow at Harvard University is well known for her prominent books ‘Purple Hibiscus’, Orange Prize-winning ‘Half of the Yellow Sun’ and short story collection ‘The Thing around your Neck.’

Did anyone else notice the part in bold
It takes an American philantropist to finance an academic position on African studies while we black people are content being spectators and inferior people still.
When will we get some REAL pride in ourselves matched with ACTION

Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by 1k001(m): 5:14pm On Feb 04, 2013

... so much for not judging a book by it's cover!
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Nobody: 5:14pm On Feb 04, 2013
Shollypopz:

It's childish and sounds Spanish? It's boring when u haven't even read the book?! Stop hating, it's hindering your thinking capability
I never said the book is boring honey. I said she is becoming boring...

The truth is that she's nothing of what I expect from somebody with African background to be childish about choosing titles for her works. She needs to seat down properly and figure out something challenging people's interest.

No! She belittles her work with this 'Americanah' title.

2 Likes

Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Afam4eva(m): 5:15pm On Feb 04, 2013

Do you know what the novel is about. I mean the story line. How will you condemn the title of a book you haven't read. Says so much about your thinking capacity.

1 Like

Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Nobody: 5:21pm On Feb 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
Do you know what the novel is about. I mean the story line. How will you condemn the title of a book you haven't read. Says so much about your thinking capacity.
No! It doesn't mean I have to read the novel somehow before finding interest. Good and great titles add a lot to the writer's work and can coerce people to buy them. It is like the advert of a product. Jeez! I don't find that title interesting and encouraging from somebody of her standard.

2 Likes

Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Nobody: 5:24pm On Feb 04, 2013
Kudos to her......... She is more of a role model than the likes of Cossy and co....
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Afam4eva(m): 5:24pm On Feb 04, 2013
all4naija: No! It doesn't mean I have to read the novel somehow before finding interest. Good and great titles add a lot to the writer's work and can coerce people to buy them. It is like the advert of a product. Jeez! I don't find that title interesting and encouraging from somebody of her standard.
Pls can you tell us what the storyline of the book is so that we can understand you. A good title is relative to the storyline. If i'm writing a book about my sojourn to Iraq, then what's wrong in naming the book "Iraqana". Again like i said, it depends on the storyline and if you know it then share with us.
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by maskid(m): 5:25pm On Feb 04, 2013
Akshow: I hope Its not a boring book like purple hibiscus.

SHARRRRAAAP!!! GO WRITE UR OWN. hater
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Nobody: 5:32pm On Feb 04, 2013
all4naija: I never said the book is boring honey. I said she is becoming boring...

The truth is that she's nothing of what I expect from somebody with African background to be childish about choosing titles for her works. She needs to seat down properly and figure out something challenging people's interest.

No! She belittle her work with this 'Americanah' title.
I hear you, I still think you should read d book before judging her title. When you say a writer is becoming boring, I wasn't expecting you to be talking about her social life but her works. (books)
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by funsho5: 5:32pm On Feb 04, 2013
threee gbosa for chimamanda adichie.....she writes so well.........
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Nobody: 5:33pm On Feb 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
Pls can you tell us what the storyline of the book is so that we can understand you. A good title is relative to the storyline. If i'm writing a book about my sojourn to Iraq, then what's wrong in naming the book "Iraqana". Again like i said, it depends on the storyline and if you know it then share with us.
Huh. There is nothing wrong but it just make your work looks something from a novice. Iraqana sounds like a child learning to pronounce or speak. I would rather find interest in a title with persuasive intent challenging a buyer curiosity before even reading it. Indeed, I can see where she is coming from. She is trying so hard to be accepted by the American audiences and society. Lol... AMERICANAH! Even Americans would find that embarrassing.

Is that a German or a Spanish word?

3 Likes

Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Nobody: 5:37pm On Feb 04, 2013
maskid:

MUMU. HOW CREATIVE ARE U?. I CAN SEE UR USER NAME ON NL. sef. where is the swaggg?.. park well jor. or bera still go hug transformer under the rain!!!
Hahaha... Whatever! You can call me all4mumu if you so much find it interesting to do so. She erred with that title for sure! I don't care about what you think about my comment though.
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by toshmann(m): 5:49pm On Feb 04, 2013
Lobolintin: she be my babe those days.., i love her die... her write up gallant wella

I get am before no be property tongue
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Akshow: 5:54pm On Feb 04, 2013
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^So what's your idea of an exciting book?.....'Samankwe and the highway robbers'?
i hope you know i am entitled to my opinion and it must not be what you or other fools like. I find purple hibiscus boring! Go hug transformer if e pain you. Cos i dont know why my personal opinion should bother you. Ewu gambia
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Akshow: 5:56pm On Feb 04, 2013
maskid:

SHARRRRAAAP!!! GO WRITE UR OWN. hater
as obvious from your username, you are a kid So i wont bother myself wit your foolishness.
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by tejpot(m): 6:34pm On Feb 04, 2013
She's just typical of God's perfect work. I truly cherish her intellect and inner beautifulness. I love her!
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by claremont(m): 6:51pm On Feb 04, 2013
This is one lady I really love for not just her looks, but more importantly, for her exemplary writing skills. Unfortunately, gifted ladies like this would rather remain single than become a proverbial "submissive wife" to any man.
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by LarrySun(m): 6:57pm On Feb 04, 2013
I pledge to achieve more recognition than Adichie.
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Dospix(m): 7:50pm On Feb 04, 2013
Akshow: I hope Its not a boring book like purple hibiscus.
why would you say purple hibiscus is a boring book?
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by jaymdee(m): 8:32pm On Feb 04, 2013
all4naija: Huh. There is nothing wrong but it just make your work looks novice. Iraqana sounds like a child learning to pronounce or speak. I would rather find interest in a title with persuasive intent challenging a buyer curiosity before even reading it. Indeed, I can see where she is coming from. She is trying so hard to be accepted by the American audiences and society. Lol... AMERICANAH! Even Americans would find that embarrassing.

Is that a. German or a Spanish word?
It's clear that you know nothing about the title 'Americana'. And clearer it is, that you are not of Ibo origin. The word 'Americana' has a history and context which I don't have the time to explain here.

2 Likes

Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by maintain10(m): 8:34pm On Feb 04, 2013
interestly....She can also narrate her story eloquently...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Ihs241zeg
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by cap28: 8:54pm On Feb 04, 2013
the book sounds autobiographical.

and all4 naija - word of advice - stop hating it can be emotionally draining.
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by solomon111(m): 9:12pm On Feb 04, 2013
cap28: the book sounds autobiographical.

and all4 naija - word of advice - stop hating it can be emotionally draining.

I think i agree with all4naija.
What the hell is americanah?
It makes the book look cheap.
If i didn't know who chimamanda was,i wouln't buy that book in a million years.
The title of the book can put serious readers off.

4 Likes

Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Nobody: 9:54pm On Feb 04, 2013
I've read just one of her books 'purple hibiscus'.
After reading books i barely memorize the name of the author but her's was different, i crammed her name grin
The suspense was killing, i finished it in less than 2days, i was absolutely mesmerized by the book. Great writer she is i must confess, i think i have to check out other works of hers.

1 Like

Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by HezronLorraine(m): 10:27pm On Feb 04, 2013
I just can't help but love both her and her work.her books especially purple hibiscus has revisited history,she writes with a passion to express to the world her innermost personality,her novels howerever have one central theme,hope 4 the future,light after prolonged darkness,resurrection.from the short introduction of ds new novel,i can see the same.Do you know that Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie has a huge fan base.was reading truelove(a south african magazine) and i discovered in an article how her piece has gained ground in south african literature both at high and tertiarity level and it is still a recommended literature read in dr schools.also was checking out an european educational blog(Norwegian particular) and i discovered that purple hibiscus was translated and read in classes and used in national exams.kudos to her.really love her works and can't wait for her new book.

1 Like

Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Akshow: 10:59pm On Feb 04, 2013
Dospix: why would you say purple hibiscus is a boring book?
see me see JAMB question o. so I must give you a reason why I find a book boring. abeg zoom off from my radar before I descend on you

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" / Romantic Story : - My Boss (18+) Episode 1 / Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.