Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,077 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:28 PM

Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. (14582 Views)

What My In-Laws Served Me (photo) / Finally Got A Job After So Long, But My In-Laws Won't Let Me Have It! / Woman Caught By Her In-laws With Her Husband's Friend In A Hotel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by Nobody: 8:57pm On Feb 04, 2013
Don't ask me why am asking this question grin

But I really need to know the Pro and Cons of living with your in laws. angry angry
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by Nobody: 9:04pm On Feb 04, 2013
I will ask you Roki cheesy are they moving in? angry

2 Likes

Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by 3RNEST(m): 9:13pm On Feb 04, 2013
Dancing ETI- GEEE, let me finish first...
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by trekkie: 9:19pm On Feb 04, 2013
smiley

4 Likes

Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by Nobody: 9:22pm On Feb 04, 2013
trekkie: there are no pros only cons; if u can avoid this, do so. undecided

True but let somebody lie atleast. cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by trekkie: 9:26pm On Feb 04, 2013
What do you mean
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by baby124: 9:32pm On Feb 04, 2013
Over familiarity causes discontent. Have some pride and get your own place, even if it is a room and parlour. At least it is your own space. No one can come and chase you or disrespect you.

6 Likes

Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by kandiikane(m): 9:51pm On Feb 04, 2013
There's only one pro I can think of and that's regarding giving a helping hand with the kids.
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by Nobody: 11:39pm On Feb 04, 2013
rokiatu: Don't ask me why am asking this question grin

But I really need to know the Pro and Cons of living with your in laws. angry angry

lmao!! grin grin

don't kill 'em o!!
that's all i have to say! grin grin grin
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by LordReed(m): 12:59am On Feb 05, 2013
kandiikane: There's only one pro I can think of and that's regarding giving a helping hand with the kids.

Good one.

There are a some pros but I think the cons far out weigh the pros even if they are not as many in number; they are significantly more important in the scale of things. For example the ptential for conflict over kitchen duties out weighs the benefits of have someone else prepare the meals.

Unless its a temporary stay, not a very palatable course of action.
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by Nobody: 2:55am On Feb 05, 2013
baby_123: Over familiarity causes discontent. Have some pride and get your own place, even if it is a room and parlour. At least it is your own space. No one can come and chase you or disrespect you.

It ain't the matter of not been able to have your own place.

What if your Husband is out of town for a while and you are pregnant, and this is your first pregnancy and he don't want you to live alone while hes gone he suggest you live with his mom till he return what will you do?
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by Nobody: 2:56am On Feb 05, 2013
MsDarkSkin:

lmao!! grin grin

don't kill 'em o!!
that's all i have to say! grin grin grin

You bad girl, imma kill you. grin grin grin grin This ain't abt me trust me.
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by greatgod2012(f): 3:50am On Feb 05, 2013
It depends on d PIL involved, some are very pleasurable to live with while some are very difficult.
My MIL had lived with us and it was d most wonderful experience i've had in my whole married years, very hospitable, very interesting and pleasurable, very wonderful woman, infact, im looking forward to having her back, we all want to have her live with us, so we normally hijack her from one another. Im even thinking of going to where she is now to bring her to my place.
Awwwww, oh Lord, pls, i dont want to lose my MIL now.

3 Likes

Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by baby124: 3:51am On Feb 05, 2013
rokiatu:

What if your Husband is out of time for a while and you are pregnant, and this is your first pregnancy and he don't want you to live alone while hes gone he suggest you live with his mom till he return what will you do?
I will stay with my mum or fly her in to stay with me pending hubby's absence. Sorry, I can't stay with inlaws. All the flaws hubby tolerates and even thinks is cute, will not be accomodated by inlaws. undecided. You want to go to inlaws as a pregnant, even cranky/clingy lady. Hmm, I hope your MIL is not the type that farmed till she gave birth. Visit? No problem. Live? No please. It would even take a lot to actually live with my mum. Living in my own space is something I can't even sacrifice on, anymore.

2 Likes

Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by dickhardener: 4:25am On Feb 05, 2013
baby_123:
I will stay with my mum or fly her in to stay with me pending hubby's absence. Sorry, I can't stay with inlaws. All the flaws hubby tolerates and even thinks is cute, will not be accomodated by inlaws. undecided. You want to go to inlaws as a pregnant, even cranky/clingy lady. Hmm, I hope your MIL is not the type that farmed till she gave birth. Visit? No problem. Live? No please. It would even take a lot to actually live with my mum. Living in my own space is something I can't even sacrifice on, anymore.
so would you suggest I kick my mom out because of a woman. Don't be impossible dear.
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by obowunmi(m): 1:26pm On Feb 05, 2013
my grandmom lived with us before she passed away - no big deal....she had her own apt with housemaids in the boy quarter... i don't recall any major problems.
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by neksummi(m): 1:30pm On Feb 05, 2013
As much as possible don't live with them.

2 Likes

Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by stagger: 1:31pm On Feb 05, 2013
It is bad enough living with a woman with their wahala. I can't imagine living with my in-laws in the same house. Not even my own family members. I like my peace and quiet and don't want to be battling with characters from both sides in the same house.

2 Likes

Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by obowunmi(m): 1:31pm On Feb 05, 2013
If you love your husband, you will respect his mom.

There are no CONS

1 Like

Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by Connoisseur(m): 1:34pm On Feb 05, 2013
if your husband is an only son, the sisters are either married or stay in diff schools. they ve got a block of flats of which your husband occupies one himself though cooking is general. and lest i forget, ur husband runs the family business. would you consider staying with ur inlaws even if they are very warm people?
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by Lakayana: 1:39pm On Feb 05, 2013
I don't think I'll like to do it because living with any adult that is not your spouse is so difficult it is easy to get on each other's nerves why destroy a good relationship you've built over the years. What God has joined together let no one put asunder. Even the children of the union it will come a time when they must leave the nest for just the 2 of you.
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by 5much(m): 1:41pm On Feb 05, 2013
it depends on d in-laws involved.
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by Ninilowo(m): 1:43pm On Feb 05, 2013
kandiikane: There's only one pro I can think of and that's regarding giving a helping hand with the kids.
shikena!
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by kcjazz(m): 1:48pm On Feb 05, 2013
What context? If you live in a mansion, it might not be too bad but one room, two rooms etc.
Context 2 How is your relationship with your inlaws? Good, Bad, Fair, Enemies
Context 3 Reason? Are they sick? Some old folks come to Lagos for treatment at special hospitals?

PROS

If your inlaws are not lazy, they help with kids, you can go on dates without kids.
If you are super olodo tongue they can help with kids homework
If you can't cook, good food for everyone and time to learn if the inlaws are good sha
Building a legacy and a relationship with family it could come in handy in future

CONS
Added cost of living
Depending on the relationship it could be a nightmare
You cant argue with your husband/wife unrestrained. That could be a good or a very bad thing
No privacy. Our society loves secrets due to evil folks, instance if you are building a house in Lagos or planning investment. Your info is out there.
No privacy. Woman can't dress seductively at home
No privacy. Can't walk around naked anymore if you are into that (assuming you have no kids)
Child Sexual predators can be a grandpa, uncle, cousin etc, extra security needed angry

1 Like

Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by greatgod2012(f): 1:56pm On Feb 05, 2013
obowunmi: If you love your husband, you will respect his mom.

There are no CONS

thank you, sometimes, when i hear or read about how some women talk about their in-laws, especially, their MIL, i often wonder if they really love their hubby and if they realise that d woman gave birth to that their hubby b4 they are able to marry him........smh.
I just want everywoman to remember that every DIL is a potential MIL.
May God help us all.
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by OluEmmaAss: 2:12pm On Feb 05, 2013
trekkie: there are no pros only cons; if u can avoid this, do so. undecided
Gbam!!!
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by Nobody: 2:21pm On Feb 05, 2013
If you are broke,u can beg money.

1 Like

Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by Beaf1: 2:34pm On Feb 05, 2013
greatgod2012:

thank you, sometimes, when i hear or read about how some women talk about their in-laws, especially, their MIL, i often wonder if they really love their hubby and if they realise that d woman gave birth to that their hubby b4 they are able to marry him........smh.
I just want everywoman to remember that every DIL is a potential MIL.
May God help us all.

God bless you with the line 3.
Trust me ALL these MIL haters are very oblivious of that FACT. Their potential DILs will definitely hold the same view about them.

1 Like

Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by Philolos: 3:05pm On Feb 05, 2013
rokiatu: Don't ask me why am asking this question grin

Pros:
* if you have children, they get to know their grandparents, which is in my opinion is very important.
* most grandparents find joy in seeing their grandchildren grow up
* if they are not too old, they can help out especially if you have little ones
* you don't have to worry about going to pay them a visit since they are now under your nose
* it could benefit your family financially

Cons:
* It’s quite an adjustment getting to live and know your partner, and now you’ve added another variable
* you are now outnumbered in your home
* it could have a negative financial impact
* if you have adequate space, privacy may not be an issue

Nevertheless, the pros outweigh the cons. The relationship will obviously go through stages of forming (conflicts), storming (more conflicts), norming (understanding how to treat each other), performing (ripping the benefits). The time this all takes would depend on all the parties involved.

1 Like

Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by pharuk: 3:10pm On Feb 05, 2013
All CONS, no PROS

Stay away from my house and come only when you are invited.
Thats the only guarantee we will see our grandkids
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by Nobody: 3:14pm On Feb 05, 2013
rokiatu:

What if your Husband is out of town for a while and you are pregnant, and this is your first pregnancy and he don't want you to live alone while hes gone he suggest you live with his mom till he return what will you do?
Go stay with your inlaws. At least someone will be nearby during emergency.

Cook for you.
Sometimes do your laundry kiss
Always checking on you because you are carrying their grand child.
Teach you the culture or language
Teach you some cuisine your husband loves while he was growing up kiss
Give you his child hood experience....

For cons,

You might not be able to eat the food you want at a particular time.
Minimum space.

That's all I can think of now.

Above all, respect your self and always remember you are the guest.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Wife Spent 450k On Baby Shoes / Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed / What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.