Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,573 members, 7,770,499 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:12 AM

Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. (40044 Views)

WELCOME TO AFRICA - 15 Funny Attributes That Suggest That You Might Be African / Do African Americans Have A Culture? / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Go Down)

Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by Blyss: 5:04am On Feb 05, 2013
I personally know of many well off Black-Americans and Afro-Caribbeans who have stated that they wouldn't mind moving their families and business operations to Africa and this includes me as well, but one major hang up is a strong lack of acceptance to live under African rule. Now you can call this bigoted or hateful in some other fashion, but in all reality the majority of the reasoning expressed in regard to the issue, were not so much bigoted as apposed to being simply being of a mind set of wanting to fully control the surroundings of their operations.

They basically want to gather up a congregation of middle and upper class black diaspora and buy out a large stretch land from, let say Angola or the DR. Congo, with an agreement for the said land to be fully liberated into the control of the group, to stand as their own independent nation, void of any African natives . They'll bring their money, businesses and such to this land and basically turn it into a progressive utopia of their life back in the Americas.

I mentioned this to a few Africans I associate with, and they found this highly offensive, for various reasons. But I'd like to know what you'all think of such a desire or plan.

2 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by dickhardener: 7:58am On Feb 05, 2013
Blyss: I personally know of many well off Black-Americans and Afro-Caribbeans who have stated that they wouldn't mind moving their families and business operations to Africa and this includes me as well, but one major hang up is a strong lack of acceptance to live under African rule. Now you can call this bigoted or hateful in some other fashion, but in all reality the majority of the reasoning expressed in regard to the issue, were not so much bigoted as apposed to being simply being of a mind set of wanting to fully control the surroundings of their operations.

They basically want to gather up a congregation of middle and upper class black diaspora and buy out a large stretch land from, let say Angola or the DR. Congo, with an agreement for the said land to be fully liberated into the control of the group, to stand as their own independent nation, void of any African natives . They'll bring their money, businesses and such to this land and basically turn it into a progressive utopia of their life back in the Americas.

I mentioned this to a few Africans I associate with, and they found this highly offensive, for various reasons. But I'd like to know what you'all think of such a desire or plan.
Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by bigfrancis21: 8:07am On Feb 05, 2013
It sure does sound like a good plan but it is unlikely that many african americans will want to buy the idea for so many reasons. Some are:
1) Many AAs may not want to leave a country very developed, with a working system, for some undeveloped bare untilled land to live and start life all over again.
2) It is going to take many many years to bring their acquired space in Africa to a developed level. Of course, you know it is no easy task. Think about the funds, the intellectual capability, etc.
3) The harsh weather conditions of Africa! Many AAs will not survive under the harsh sun conditions of Africa, and not definitely in the Congo area where the Sun shine is terrible. One thing you may not know is many lightskinned AAs in America have beautiful light skins in an admirable way while the Sun in Africa only serves to keep Africans blacker than ever. Most lightskinned Africans that migrate to temperate weather countries such as the US usually notice a great natural improvement in their skin tone. On the other hand, any AA who returns to Africa and stays for just a year will experience a significant darkening of his skin color. This isn't definitely what many want.
Nowadays, what we are experiencing here in Africa is a mass outflux of africans, in search of a better life, to the US/UK, and not the other way round.
These are my reasons for now. I'll add more when I think out extra.

2 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by bigfrancis21: 8:18am On Feb 05, 2013
I think this topic should make the front page.
@Moderator
Please we need this topic on the front page. This is an interesting topic and many reasonable NLers will want also to reason and drop their honest opinions.

1 Like

Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by gst101: 3:13am On Feb 18, 2013
it is a good idea. It is absolutely ok in my opinion. I believe it can make black americans wake up if they are all by themselves.

But it will be a long process. I expect all africans especially those of us in west africa to support this idea. Afterall we are the reason you are in a far away land.

But why do you want to come back? Why not west africa? Why central or southern africa?
Dont you think Serena williams looks Igbo?

Would you like Nigeria to help you in any way?

2 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by gst101: 3:14am On Feb 18, 2013
what are people called, is it african americans or black americans?
Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by DuduNegro: 5:34am On Feb 18, 2013
Blyss,

i believe the idea is a noble one. a reserved colony for their resettlement will be the best.

2 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by odumchi: 6:27am On Feb 18, 2013
Honestly I think it's impossible. Just as wealthy Chinese businessmen cannot buy a section of the United States in order to establish a new country, it cannot be done anywhere in Africa.

Why? Simply because the people of Africa regard land very highly. If you were to come in and attempt to buy my father's land and use it to set up a sovereign country void of any of my father's children, don't be surprised if i began plotting against you lol. Just as those Africans you mentioned found such an idea disrespectful, I too also find it as such.

Just imagine asking an American if you could purchase a state and use it to establish your own sovereign state free of Americans...

14 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by Blyss: 8:17am On Feb 18, 2013
bigfrancis21: It sure does sound like a good plan but it is unlikely that many african americans will want to buy the idea for so many reasons. Some are:
1) Many AAs may not want to leave a country very developed, with a working system, for some undeveloped bare untilled land to live and start life all over again.

Granted, such a venture will not be to every ones taste in the beginning, it'll take those with strong will, a goal and determination to pioneer the effort, and trust me when I tell you that their are many thousands of AA who have such embodiment.

2) It is going to take several thousands of years to bring their acquired space in Africa to a developed level. Of course, you know it is no easy task. Think about the funds, the intellectual capability, etc.

Thousands of years? undecided No, no where near thousands of years, Ace. With a steady stream of quality AA coming in with their massive amounts of resources, connections, education and most importantly Experience, it'll take less than 30 years to become Africa's most prosperous and progressive economic force, and this nation's presence of a homogeneous population would be the major spearheading drive behind such rapid growth. The sensational grounds for high profit margins in such a nation as one of well educated, money flushed, African-American on "virgin" African ground would spurge a fierce drive the world round to invest and invest big in this new society.

3) The harsh weather conditions of Africa! Many AAs will not survive under the harsh sun conditions of Africa, and not definitely in the Congo area where the Sun shine is terrible. One thing you may not know is many lightskinned AAs in America have beautiful light skins in an admirable way while the Sun in Africa only serves to keep Africans blacker than ever. Most lightskinned Africans that migrate to temperate weather countries such as the US usually notice a great natural improvement in their skin tone. On the other hand, any AA who returns to Africa and stays for just a year will experience a significant darkening of his skin color. This isn't definitely what many want.
Nowadays, what we are experiencing here in Africa is a mass outflux of africans, in search of a better life, to the US/UK, and not the other way round.

LOL, are you serious? Tens of AA currently move to Africa every year for business purposes or more personal reasons. Some stay permanently, other stay for several years. At first it can be a bit of a struggle adjusting to the change in atmosphere, but like any other people migrating around the world.. you get over it and get on with your goals if you truly seek to achieve them.

You make us out to be a bunch of shallow flakes or something, with all that talk of not wanting to get dark, and maneuver around in the sun. cheesy By the way, west Africa is much more intensely hotter than Central Africa. I've observed the average temperatures of Central Africa, and they are cooler than the mean average experienced in most of the south and South west (including Southern Cali) during the summer and spring, and as you know, MOST AA live in the South and over a million more live in the south-west.

Funny thing is, many African immigrants I've conversed with over the topic of weather here in the US, have stated that summers heat worst than the heat experienced in many parts of Africa, because we have very dry heat here, while in most of central, southern and some parts of eastern Africa it's more moist or temperate. So if the Africans want to hightail out of Africa they need to hand us over their land. We'll gladly take it off your hands.

You've made a poor case. I know of many AA who if the opportunity was presented, would go in a heart beat. See you need to understand the mindset of the average AA. Many are kind of xenophobic, in that they don't really like to be around people whom are foreign to us, not even white Americans whom we've lived in this land with for over 400 years; so if you ask your average AA if they'd move to Africa to live among the native population there, in their nation, under their rule.. the vast majority will give an resounding HELL NO!! But if you say, would you move to Africa to a nation, created by and for AA void of any natives, then you'd be heavily surprised at the numbers that'll say yes. I'd surmise that several millions would want to come.

2 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by DuduNegro: 9:14am On Feb 18, 2013
odumchi: Honestly I think it's impossible. Just as wealthy Chinese businessmen cannot buy a section of the United States in order to establish a new country, it cannot be done anywhere in Africa.

Why? Simply because the people of Africa regard land very highly. If you were to come in and attempt to buy my father's land and use it to set up a sovereign country void of any of my father's children, don't be surprised if i began plotting against you lol. Just as those Africans you mentioned found such an idea disrespectful, I too also find it as such.

Just imagine asking an American if you could purchase a state and use it to establish your own sovereign state free of Americans...

Odumchi,

you could have used a far better analogy than the wealthy chinese chasing an unattainable american dream.

first, this chinese has no american roots and so would be considered an immigrant to the american soil.

second, these people blyss is talking about have roots in the african soil and so they will not be immigrants but rather resettlers - sons and daughters of africa. they have right of ownership to be here, but the question is where?

third, the current political sovereingties in africa are the result of land grab, none of the countries have an indigenous charter of statehood....they are legacies of colonial institutions created by foreign powers.

fourth, there's a bill currently sitting in the nigerian national assembly titled reserved grazing land. this bill is intended to do exactly what you opposed in the bold, i.e. disposess people of their ancestral lands and zone it off as a national grazing land for a special interest group.

fifth, if this bill passes into law, then we will have precedence to use as proof that a colony or reservation can be allocated for special interest groups to run their business and life.

sixth, there are lands already in other west african countries practicing the grazing land reserve for pastoral farming and with success. the nigerian case is different and it would be opposed here due to the friction between ethnic groups and particularly the bad track of relationship between fulani and local farmers.

1 Like

Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by PhysicsQED(m): 9:31am On Feb 18, 2013
As long as it doesn't turn into a Liberia type of situation it's not a bad idea at all. But I don't think the idea as formulated in the original post would be easy to set up. It wouldn't necessarily be a financial problem (the issue of monetary compensation for the ancestral owners/inhabitants of that land), as the African governments could simply compensate those landowners affected to get them to agree to make way for the African American or Caribbean "returnees". I think the real problem would be the idea of the returnees having full control of that land independent of the government of the country giving them the land. That is where a real clash could occur. There are ethnic groups already in Africa that want independent control of their land area and their own affairs, separate from the governments of the countries they are currently part of, so adding more groups from outside of Africa that want the same thing would be adding more drama to an unresolved issue.

2 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by pleep(m): 9:39am On Feb 18, 2013
bigfrancis21: It sure does sound like a good plan but it is unlikely that many african americans will want to buy the idea for so many reasons. Some are:
2) It is going to take several thousands of years to bring their acquired space in Africa to a developed level. Of course, you know it is no easy task. Think about the funds, the intellectual capability, etc.
This was the stupidest string of drivel i have read on nairaland for a long-time.

@topic Its a great idea and i wish someone would do it. In Africa the government doesn't have direct control of rural areas and these places tend to function by their own rules anyway. The only obstacle, and its a fatal one, is you that would need to be near a port for any decent amount of development to occur independant of the rest of the country. There are few ports in Africa as is, and no government would sell them to you for any price.
Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by AjanleKoko: 9:47am On Feb 18, 2013
Why can't they just buy land, move to any country they like, and submit themselves to the rules therein?
At the least they can set up their own community. Definitely not a country. That's ridiculous. As poor as Somalia is, you just can't show up there and carve out your own sovereign nation.

4 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by pleep(m): 10:03am On Feb 18, 2013
^ if u had enough guns you could
Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by AjanleKoko: 10:07am On Feb 18, 2013
pleep: ^ if u had enough guns you could

LOL. Easier said than done. Else Chinese woulda done that long time ago.

1 Like

Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by bigfrancis21: 10:56am On Feb 18, 2013
Blyss:

Granted, such a venture will not be to every ones taste in the beginning, it'll take those with strong will, a goal and determination to pioneer the effort, and trust me when I tell you that their are many thousands of AA who have such embodiment.

Thousands of years? undecided No, no where near thousands of years, Ace. With a steady stream of quality AA coming in with their massive amounts of resources, connections, education and most importantly Experience, it'll take less than 30 years to become Africa's most prosperous and progressive economic force, and this nation's presence of a homogeneous population would be the major spearheading drive behind such rapid growth. The sensational grounds for high profit margins in such a nation as one of well educated, money flushed, African-American on "virgin" African ground would spurge a fierce drive the world round to invest and invest big in this new society.

LOL, are you serious? Tens of AA currently move to Africa every year for business purposes or more personal reasons. Some stay permanently, other stay for several years. At first it can be a bit of a struggle adjusting to the change in atmosphere, but like any other people migrating around the world.. you get over it and get on with your goals if you truly seek to achieve them.

You make us out to be a bunch of shallow flakes or something, with all that talk of not wanting to get dark, and maneuver around in the sun. cheesy By the way, west Africa is much more intensely hotter than Central Africa. I've observed the average temperatures of Central Africa, and they are cooler than the mean average experienced in most of the south and South west (including Southern Cali) during the summer and spring, and as you know, MOST AA live in the South and over a million more live in the south-west.

Funny thing is, many African immigrants I've conversed with over the topic of weather here in the US, have stated that summers heat worst than the heat experienced in many parts of Africa, because we have very dry heat here, while in most of central, southern and some parts of eastern Africa it's more moist or temperate. So if the Africans want to hightail out of Africa they need to hand us over their land. We'll gladly take it off your hands.

You've made a poor case. I know of many AA who if the opportunity was presented, would go in a heart beat. See you need to understand the mindset of the average AA. Many are kind of xenophobic, in that they don't really like to be around people whom are foreign to us, not even white Americans whom we've lived in this land with for over 400 years; so if you ask your average AA if they'd move to Africa to live among the native population there, in their nation, under their rule.. the vast majority will give an resounding HELL NO!! But if you say, would you move to Africa to a nation, created by and for AA void of any natives, then you'd be heavily surprised at the numbers that'll say yes. I'd surmise that several millions would want to come.

1) Concerning the weather conditions, believe me I've lived in Africa considerably and I know how the african weather is. By and large, you can't compare the american weather with the Nigerian weather. Your summer lasts for about 4 months while in many parts of africa it lasts for the whole year. Bring twins, separate them to live in both weathers for some years, let's say 10 years, the overall difference will be obviously clear. In Nigeria here, once you see someone who has spent some time abroad you'll know immediately, even before the person opens his mouth to talk. I personally know several relatives, friends and neighbours who have relocated to US/Canada and have seen the overall skin improvements they've had. This is something I personally attribute to weather conditions.
Spending a few weeks/months for business purposes isn't the same as living in Africa for 10/20 years. Maybe you should relocate to africa for 10 years and get to see things for yourself.

2) You said it will take less than 30 years to develop the AA african space?? WTF shocked Like seriously?? Common man! Be realistic! America didn't become great in 30 years! UK didn't! What makes you think the AA african country will? Did you even consider the lack of natural resources in the land that could catalyse growth and development? What if the land is utterly lacking in crude oil, coal, bitumen, fertile soil for agricultural purposes etc? Of course you do know that crude oil is the number one natural resource that draws in several of millions of dollars in sales for its host country? And it isn't found everywhere in the world. In addition, the conditions for its formation takes years and requires special natural conditions to be met before it forms. Moreover, mangrove areas are the best areas for crude oil formation and such areas are few in Africa.
Well, in the absence of crude oil, other catalysts for growth could be utilized such as establishing great tourism, technology (Japan for example), education etc.
Having access to a port is definitely a good idea and the boundary lines of africa all stretch along the sea coast and any space to be carved out for the AA country will need to be created close to the boundary to enable the presence of a port.
And finally, the development of the AA country won't come in 30 years or anytime close to that number! You got me laughing real hard at this one! grin grin
3) @Bolded: what you just wrote up there is only an assumption. You haven't yet carried out a survey to know the actual opinions of AAs. What if majority don't buy the idea? Even if majority agree on paper, the number that may relocate will be far less than the opinion indicated on paper. Believe me, I have conversed with many AAs and some of them just don't want to have anything to do with africa. Many just don't care about africa, its people and culture, or its historical past. Its just a few that care. Many even hate being called 'african americans' and would rather have you call them 'black americans'. But I guess attitudes change with time.

1 Like

Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by pleep(m): 11:01am On Feb 18, 2013
30 years is highly possible...even in the worst conditions. Take for example the Isreali reclaimation of Palestine. The land was 3rd world poor, but within several decades became the most livable country in the middle east.
Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by DuduNegro: 11:01am On Feb 18, 2013
PhysicsQED: As long as it doesn't turn into a Liberia type of situation it's not a bad idea at all. But I don't think the idea as formulated in the original post would be easy to set up. It wouldn't necessarily be a financial problem (the issue of monetary compensation for the ancestral owners/inhabitants of that land), as the African governments could simply compensate those landowners affected to get them to agree to make way for the African American or Caribbean "returnees". I think the real problem would be the idea of the returnees having full control of that land independent of the government of the country giving them the land. That is where a real clash could occur. There are ethnic groups already in Africa that want independent control of their land area and their own affairs, separate from the governments of the countries they are currently part of, so adding more groups from outside of Africa that want the same thing would be adding more drama to an unresolved issue.

yes, it would need a more refined and permanent formulation than what blyss has written but "a concept of resettlement" is doable. it would receive wide acceptance and support if structured on cultural values than just packaging it as an economic interest or a political foothold.

1 Like

Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by DuduNegro: 11:01am On Feb 18, 2013
double
Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by pleep(m): 11:03am On Feb 18, 2013
Do any of you guys know the official "powers" of Nigerian state governers? I think if a bunch of rich AA's could buy themselves into the government of a Nigerian state that would be as good as having an independant country.

To me it looks like they have free reign.

1 Like

Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by DuduNegro: 11:10am On Feb 18, 2013
AjanleKoko: Why can't they just buy land, move to any country they like, and submit themselves to the rules therein?
At the least they can set up their own community. Definitely not a country. That's ridiculous. As poor as Somalia is, you just can't show up there and carve out your own sovereign nation.

safety!

friction between indigenes and resettlers is partly blamed for the liberian war. the elite and ruling leadership in liberia is concentrated in the hands of the resettlers they say.

their resettlement must not be a private endeavor, otherwise they could end up in a deadly land dispute in future. the resettlement needs to be a continental project mandated under signatory of all the african countries....in other words, a guarantee of safety and protection to facilitate their integration.
Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by bigfrancis21: 11:26am On Feb 18, 2013
pleep: 30 years is highly possible...even in the worst conditions. Take for example the Isreali reclaimation of Palestine. The land was 3rd world poor, but within several decades became the most livable country in the middle east.
Yea, but it took israel 64 years, and not 30 years. 30 years from 1948, when they got their independence, is 1978 and as at then Israel was still developing.
Their accelerated growth today is attributed to the natural creativity of the Jews. We all know the Jews are highly intelligent, creative, entrepreneurial and industrious people. With their perfect combination of these qualities such quick growth is expected.
The peoples of the AA country will need to borrow a leaf from Israel if they want to have their country develop in 30 years.

1 Like

Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by pleep(m): 11:29am On Feb 18, 2013
By 1978 Isreal was the most developed country in the Middle East. They were able to beat back almost the whole region in the 1967 Six Day War and were able to hold off the most powerful arab nation (Eygpt) in 1973.

Not to mention they had nukes, 24 hour electicity, and agricultural and finance system etc.
Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by odumchi: 5:11pm On Feb 18, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

Odumchi,

you could have used a far better analogy than the wealthy chinese chasing an unattainable american dream.

first, this chinese has no american roots and so would be considered an immigrant to the american soil.

second, these people blyss is talking about have roots in the african soil and so they will not be immigrants but rather resettlers - sons and daughters of africa. they have right of ownership to be here, but the question is where?

Speaking from a political perspective, being "sons and daughters of Africa" is totally irrelevant. Being born as an African American doesn't guarantee land ownership rights in any part of the world.

Like someone said earlier, Somalia with all of its poverty and problems would never secede a square foot of land for such a purpose. What Blyss is talking about seems like the "back to Africa movement" that gave birth to Liberia (just without the natives, that is).

third, the current political sovereingties in africa are the result of land grab, none of the countries have an indigenous charter of statehood....they are legacies of colonial institutions created by foreign powers.

fourth, there's a bill currently sitting in the nigerian national assembly titled reserved grazing land. this bill is intended to do exactly what you opposed in the bold, i.e. disposess people of their ancestral lands and zone it off as a national grazing land for a special interest group.

fifth, if this bill passes into law, then we will have precedence to use as proof that a colony or reservation can be allocated for special interest groups to run their business and life.

If such a bill does come into legal existence, Nigeria would still wield control of the reservation(s) (which will still remain part of Nigeria). It's just like the Native American reservation system in the US, if you ask me. This is totally different from seceding land to form a living/breathing independent country which will have its own constitution, its own laws, and its own military.

I still believe that this is imoossible. They're better off buying an island somewhere in the Pacific.

1 Like

Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by DuduNegro: 6:37pm On Feb 18, 2013
odumchi:

Speaking from a political perspective, being "sons and daughters of Africa" is totally irrelevant. Being born as an African American doesn't guarantee land ownership rights in any part of the world.

Like someone said earlier, Somalia with all of its poverty and problems would never secede a square foot of land for such a purpose. What Blyss is talking about seems like the "back to Africa movement" that gave birth to Liberia (just without the natives, that is).

If such a bill does come into legal existence, Nigeria would still wield control of the reservation(s) (which will still remain part of Nigeria). It's just like the Native American reservation system in the US, if you ask me. This is totally different from seceding land to form a living/breathing independent country which will have its own constitution, its own laws, and its own military.

I still believe that this is imoossible. They're better off buying an island somewhere in the Pacific.

following in the line of arrangement proposed by blyss, oh yes you are correct......it would never materialize. the "back to africa movement" is a right idea, a more appropriate and widely acceptable process far more robust than op's will be needed to succeed.

1 Like

Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by Blyss: 6:41pm On Feb 18, 2013
gst101: it is a good idea. It is absolutely ok in my opinion. I believe it can make black americans wake up if they are all by themselves.

But it will be a long process. I expect all africans especially those of us in west africa to support this idea. Afterall we are the reason you are in a far away land.

But why do you want to come back? Why not west africa? Why central or southern africa?
Dont you think Serena williams looks Igbo?

Would you like Nigeria to help you in any way?

The reason I've stated that Central Africa would be best is for a couple of reason, the first being that the area has a very comparable weather pattern to the deep southern portion of the US, also it's not as densely populated as most other comparable areas of the continent, thus leaving more room for obtaining a viable amount of space to comfortably settle upon, with little dispute from any native groups whom may be parted from the land. West Africa is just way too crowded to allow for any major portion of land to be distributed without such a move causing some major conflict within the nation giving up the territory. With the low density of Central African nations, such a plan is much more feasible.

As for why we would want to come back, I'll simply inform you of that in our minds it's not an issue of coming back, but rather simply a pilgrimage to settle upon a land in which is in part rightfully ours via ancestral connection, and to fulfill an burning desire in many AA to obtain an homeland independent of this conglomerate entity known as the USA.
Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by Blyss: 6:43pm On Feb 18, 2013
gst101: what are people called, is it african americans or black americans?

Either or, it doesn't really matter. Though some prefer black-american, over the more common African-American these days.

1 Like

Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by Blyss: 6:48pm On Feb 18, 2013
Dudu_Negro: Blyss,

i believe the idea is a noble one. a reserved colony for their resettlement will be the best.

A colony? Well if that means a piece of land maintained under the extended authority of the nation provided the land, then no.. that will not be in the interest of myself or any of the other AA I've spoken to about this issue. Full autonomy or nothing is what we'd desire.
Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by Blyss: 6:49pm On Feb 18, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

Odumchi,

sixth, there are lands already in other west african countries practicing the grazing land reserve for pastoral farming and with success. the nigerian case is different and it would be opposed here due to the friction between ethnic groups and particularly the bad track of relationship between fulani and local farmers.

Good points.
Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:03pm On Feb 18, 2013
Blyss:

The reason I've stated that Central Africa would be best is for a couple of reason, the first being that the area has a very comparable weather pattern to the deep southern portion of the US, also it's not as densely populated as most other comparable areas of the continent, thus leaving more room for obtaining a viable amount of space to comfortably settle upon, with little dispute from any native groups whom may be parted from the land. West Africa is just way too crowded to allow for any major portion of land to be distributed without such a move causing some major conflict within the nation giving up the territory. With the low density of Central African nations, such a plan is much more feasible.

As for why we would want to come back, I'll simply inform you of that in our minds it's not an issue of coming back, but rather simply a pilgrimage to settle upon a land in which is in part rightfully ours via ancestral connection, and to fulfill an burning desire in many AA to obtain an homeland independent of this conglomerate entity known as the USA.

hahahaha CENTRAL AFRICA! HOW DARE YOU EVEN SUGGEST SUCH A THING! THAT IS THE LAND OF SO MANY ANCIENT INDINGENOUS TRIBAL GROUPS DWELLING THERE!

JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE POOR AND HAVE NO VOICE, YOU CAN SHUT THEM UP!

THIS IS YOUR TRUE COLONIST HALF-BRED COLOURS! THIS IS WHY I TELL TRIBALS TO STAY AWAY FROM YOU! YOU HAVE HALF-BRED WHITES & AKATAS HAVE A EVIL SICK MENTALITY!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27)

Ooni Ogunwusi Off To UN Headquarters In New York (Pctures) / Akatas On Nairaland / Igwe John Umenyiora Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.