Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,526 members, 7,801,468 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:39 PM

Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa (10513 Views)

Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It / 'Galaxy Gear' Watch-like Phone By Samsung To Be Introduced Next Month / Lumia 925 Windows Phone By Nokia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by claycares: 10:08am On Feb 05, 2013

For those that didnt know, Africa is one of the most rapidly growing technology markets in the world. So it comes as no surprise that Microsoft and Huawei have announced a new Windows Phone designed just for Africa called the "Huawei 4Afrika," part of a new Microsoft initiative called "4Afrika Initiative."

"Designed specifically as an affordable option for students, small businesses, developers, and first-time smartphone owners, the Huawei 4Afrika with Windows Phone 8 will make its debut later this month in seven countries: Angola, Egypt, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Morocco, Nigeria, and South Africa," Microsoft stated in an official blog post. The phone is available in four different colors: blue, red, black, or white.

What about specs you ask? It has a 4-inch 480 x 800 display, dual-core 1.2 GHz Snapdragon processor, front and rear-facing cameras, 10mm case, and 4GB of internal storage. "According to Huawei, the phone delivers a whopping 420 hours of standby time (that’s a tad over two straight weeks, folks) thanks to its built-in power-saving technology," Microsoft adds.

This isn't the first Windows Phone to hit Africa, just the first from Huawei. This phone is special because it features custom apps created by African developers for African consumers and has a market-specific store within the larger Windows Phone Store for downloading locally-relevant apps and content. "We believe there has never been a better time to invest in Africa and that access to technology—particularly cloud services and smart devices—can and will serve as a great accelerator for African competitiveness," Microsoft mentioned in a statement.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-and-huawei-unveil-windows-phone-africa-called-huawei-4afrika

1 Like

Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by claycares: 10:12am On Feb 05, 2013
These ailing companies are looking at Africa because of the fierce competition in the smartphone market and the decline in PC sales.

3 Likes

Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:16am On Feb 05, 2013
buhahahaha

MS is going for the low end, which they ought to anyway, that high end market is long gone

1 Like

Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by Francheezy(m): 10:44am On Feb 05, 2013
yh...ryt
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by claycares: 12:25pm On Feb 05, 2013
4llerbuntu: buhahahaha

MS is going for the low end, which they ought to anyway, that high end market is long gone
@4llerbuntu, you're right but who's going to use that Windows 8 os? Why are they bringing very low resolution phones into the African market?
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by Nobody: 2:26pm On Feb 05, 2013
just checked the phone review its a good phone for beginners and relatively low price so they should sell a lil, but then do they have stuffs they can catch young peeps attention games, instagram etc on.windows os?
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by claycares: 7:45pm On Feb 05, 2013
blackchild09: just checked the phone review its a good phone for beginners and relatively low price so they should sell a lil, but then do they have stuffs they can catch young peeps attention games, instagram etc on.windows os?
That's the point. Developers aren't with that platform. So buyers will just be stocked with the phone. Microsoft is just struggling to stay in the market.
m.cnet.com/news/for-dell-lessons-from-microsofts-nokia-deal/57567683
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:44pm On Feb 05, 2013
forget story. this will not sell Jack in Nigeria.

the used phone market will not let it.

150 dollar phone plus imports ands profit mark up will be nearly 35-40k

we don't do mobile financing by telcos here.

but unfortunately a much better phone with a better usage profile can be bought for that price. I.e a gs2.

why would you buy this huawei for 35-50k when u can have a easily hackble android with better rep, enough Apps and games and a thriving piracy community?

worse still its not like the build quality and specs on this phones will be anything worthwhile.

and even worse there are countless budget androids that sell for less, eg those popular Techno phones.

android is the biggest problem every other phone os has. u can criticise it all u want, the concept is simply on point.

2 Likes

Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:49pm On Feb 05, 2013

1 Like

Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:49pm On Feb 05, 2013
then again Nokia is the king of the low end but that's not a smart phone low end.

its was dumb phones below 10k and symbian phones for 20-30k and even that range has been eroded by budget droids.

are they going to make sub 10k smart phones? nope
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by Francheezy(m): 9:50pm On Feb 05, 2013
guy b0nE...if t0 say diz kind f0ne f!t get BBM, walai e g0 seLL 4 na!Ja
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by Leopantro: 10:01pm On Feb 05, 2013
@ 4llerbuntu, good point there. you just can't best the uniqueness of Android. I have two friends that got the Nokia windows phone and they are seriously regretting it. the low cost windows phone will have sub par functionality and will still require zune ( in this day and age.? ). my first Android phone was 20K and I was performing wonderful and amazing things with it. I have gone through their app store; is very depressing. considering you can't side load apps on a widows phone, why waste time and money?
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by Nobody: 10:38pm On Feb 05, 2013
windows mobile knw they are losing it that's why they come up with cheap mid range smartphone @4ller if it's more than 30k for the phone I agree with you no body will buy it, so you can't even side load apps and I was reading some where earlier a dude was complaining about there App store that most apps will say not available in this region Even there official twitter app
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by claycares: 6:18am On Feb 06, 2013
Nice one guys. I can't even think of having a Windows phone no matter the price because I want to be free.
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by MadCow1: 11:10am On Feb 06, 2013
Africa don suffer...

Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by chibyboy(m): 11:13am On Feb 06, 2013
Nice colaboration
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by Nobody: 11:22am On Feb 06, 2013
4llerbuntu: then again Nokia is the king of the low end but that's not a smart phone low end.

its was dumb phones below 10k and symbian phones for 20-30k and even that range has been eroded by budget droids.

who said nokia is the king of low -end..

i hope you havent seen the trail blazing of Techno... cheesy
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by dnawah(m): 11:28am On Feb 06, 2013
Make dem wait o!1st come 1st serve.tecno come 1st,make dem join the queu plsgrin
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by Sunymoore(m): 11:29am On Feb 06, 2013
Still while I get myu android n3 for 1200k
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by Nobody: 11:33am On Feb 06, 2013
The price would determine the sales.
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by chucky234(m): 11:34am On Feb 06, 2013
Another means to extort African with poor phones,Huawei made a big mistake with this move because BB and androids will not give them privilege to sell this scrap called phone to gullible Nigerians.
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by Nobody: 11:34am On Feb 06, 2013
i dont think it wil succeed,its too little,too late,Naija youths don turn eye towards android already
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by loswhite(m): 11:53am On Feb 06, 2013
The fone is launched 4 Africa n not only Nigeria .so if Nigerians no buy e no mean say other African countries no go buy o

1 Like

Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by Asis(m): 12:02pm On Feb 06, 2013
Francheezy: guy b0nE...if t0 say diz kind f0ne f!t get BBM, walai e g0 seLL 4 na!Ja
lolz u nor lie @ all
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by strangest(m): 12:04pm On Feb 06, 2013
loswhite: The fone is launched 4 Africa n not only Nigeria .so if Nigerians no buy e no mean say other African countries no go buy o

na we be giant of africa.. population over plenty
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:16pm On Feb 06, 2013
mdsocks:

who said nokia is the king of low -end..

i hope you havent seen the trail blazing of Techno... cheesy

i can only surmise that you have been lving at the north pole in the past 10 years.

Nokia? Palasa Phones? Niokia no get rival for palasa phone bros. take a short survey around u. techno ke? all the techno phones combined no sell reach nokia torchlight
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by Nobody: 12:29pm On Feb 06, 2013
4llerbuntu:

i can only surmise that you have been lving at the north pole in the past 10 years.

Nokia? Palasa Phones? Niokia no get rival for palasa phone bros. take a short survey around u. techno ke? all the techno phones combined no sell reach nokia torchlight

ok...and maybe you have been staying in antartica....

Walked down a street in Naija and counted the number of low end phones...Actual tally...

Techno-- 13
Nokia--5
Others (huawei, zte)-2

Do an actual survey and see the response...maybe you were talking about nokia of 2008, techno has beat them to their game.

Nokia came with 1 good battery, techno bettered it with 2 good batteries...lol

2 Likes

Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by AZeD1(m): 12:35pm On Feb 06, 2013
Am i the only one that sees it from a different angle? I'm an android fan but as a developer, i see this as an opportunity. I know the phone will come pre-loaded with apps developed by africans so i see this as a way for Nigerians to build something cool.

6 Likes

Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by ocelot2006(m): 12:49pm On Feb 06, 2013
claycares: These ailing companies are looking at Africa because of the fierce competition in the smartphone market and the decline in PC sales.

Huawei ailing? Lawd, ignorance is a real disease! You're talking about one of the largest manufacturers of telecommunications equipment in the WORLD. ALL GSM operators in Nigeria and a lot of foreign service providers use their access and core network elements. And Microsoft? Yet you call them ailing?

2 Likes

Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by FKO1(m): 12:54pm On Feb 06, 2013
4llerbuntu: then again Nokia is the king of the low end but that's not a smart phone low end.

android fan boi

1 Like

Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by tonardo(m): 1:06pm On Feb 06, 2013
Give us lumia 920 or820 not this jurk haiwai..
I got my s3 for 35k wit a broken screen. ..everything working perfectly. Been using it like that...
Sorry africa.
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by purplebrown: 1:13pm On Feb 06, 2013
blackchild09: just checked the phone review its a good phone for beginners and relatively low price so they should sell a lil, but then do they have stuffs they can catch young peeps attention games, instagram etc on.windows os?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Set Up Free Android’s Built-in VPN / How To Hide Your Number While Sending Message / Nokia Android Phone Will Be Released In January 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.