Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,784 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:53 PM

Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? (17043 Views)

To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? / Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. / Christians:What Fruit Did Adam And Eve Eat Inside The Garden Of Eden? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? by wordthots: 11:29am On Feb 07, 2013
In recent times this is one question that has really bothered me. Each time I look at the pauline prayers (eph.1:16-21, col.1:9-12, eph.3:14-18), they seem so deep and insightful.

I noticed paul didn't pray against enemies neither did he pray for material blessings (like many of us do today). Rather when he prayed for the churches, he prayed for depth, insight and more knowledge in the things of God

Today christianity is fast becoming a get rich quick scheme, we have set our minds on the mundane things. We have taken our eyes off jesus, setting them on the things we can get (money, health and prosperity).
Nowadays the watchword is "get all you can, can all you get and sit on the can"; whatever happened to contentment and knowing Him more.
We 've put so much emphasis on the temporal, forgetting that there's so much more. The new focus is man and what he can get from God. But there is a definite order in the scheme of things and that's seeking first Gods kingdom before the things. The emphasis and focus is God, not the things.

The worlds standards have become our standards. We claim to preach success and prosperity the bible way yet we use the worlds standards.
To us a successful church has a large congregation, large auditorium, the pastor and congregation drive exotic cars, the account is fat and their many business men in the church. Truth is, anybody can get these results, MOG or ifa priest. By hook or by crook. We say "God must be with you, since you are getting results". How naïve...

Contentment has lost its place...
Nowadays we are taught to give so as to get. The more you give, the more you get, we are slowly becoming clients of a magician God. And so Men now give just to get, afterall everyone wants to be a millionaire.
But the truth is we don't give to get, we give cause we love God and in obedience to His word; getting is a bye product (not the end in itself). Whether we get or not we should still give freely in obedience to his word.

We need to learn contentment. Not every christian will be a millionaire, there's no promise like that in the bible.. Paul stressed this in his writings just as Jesus did; contentment is key. Paul never prayed about the churches needs; as far as needs were concerned he just made plain statements of Gods provision e.g phil.4:19, 2cor.8:9. If we seek first Gods kingdom, our needs will be met and our bills will be paid (not necessarily in millions). Its not a prayer, its a fact.

Years back when preaching I used to present the gospel in a certain way. "If you have jesus you will never know poverty, sickness and you will live long". How ignorant I was...
I recently read in the papers about a certain man hugh hefner (owner of playboy- a mag dat promotes immorality) and was amazed. The guy is rich, healthy and very old, and he is far from being saved (without judging its obvious). There are many pagans, atheists etc just like him.
You don't have to be a christian to be innovative and standout, I mean that's clear in our world today; an example is Japan, which has more idol worshippers than christians yet it has a good economy and it is very innovative.

The richest men in the world are atheists, buddhists and pagans not christians.
My point; there's so much more to christianity...let's stop chasing the things, remember no man can serve 2masters.

We need to set our hearts on the right things. I don't know about you but my new watchword is that of Apostle paul:
[For my determined purpose is] that I may know Him [that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and more clearly], and that I may in that same way come to know the power outflowing from His resurrection [[a]which it exerts over believers) (AMP)

144 Likes

Re: Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? by enilove(m): 4:35pm On Feb 07, 2013
Thank you.In summary ,you just reminded me that, to be carnally minded is death and to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

Thank you once more.

20 Likes

Re: Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? by Joel3(m): 4:45pm On Feb 07, 2013
That is the truth.

But you have to leave it for the saint. So my take is go an look for money dear

3 Likes

Re: Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? by wordthots: 2:40pm On Feb 10, 2013
enilove: Thank you.In summary ,you just reminded me that, to be carnally minded is death and to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

Thank you once more.

You are welcome...
Godbless
Re: Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? by Candour(m): 8:55pm On Feb 10, 2013
@wordthots, i don't know if you're a brother or a sister but whenever i read you, i always wonder how you succeed in dropping it like i would.it's almost like we have a conference and agree on what you write.

my prayer for the church remains that God would bring to our remembrance the reason for Christ's death, burial and resurrection.

kudos and more grace to your life.

7 Likes

Re: Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? by wordthots: 1:21pm On Feb 17, 2013
Candour: @wordthots, i don't know if you're a brother or a sister but whenever i read you, i always wonder how you succeed in dropping it like i would.it's almost like we have a conference and agree on what you write.

my prayer for the church remains that God would bring to our remembrance the reason for Christ's death, burial and resurrection.

kudos and more grace to your life.

Bro, Thank God for the Holy spirit and all that He is doing in these times. My prayer is that we all come to the knowledge of the truth, fully understanding all that Christ did. By the way I am a brother smiley

2 Likes

Re: Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? by Snowwy: 3:37pm On Feb 17, 2013
@wordthots,
First and foremost, we are to seek God first because in Him only is true prosperity.

2 Likes

Re: Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? by wordthots: 4:16pm On Feb 17, 2013
Snowwy: @wordthots,
First and foremost, we are to seek God first because in Him only is true prosperity.

Exactly...
Re: Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? by Ebestsmscom: 4:28pm On Feb 17, 2013
Remember you aren't worshiping God for any body or group.

All you have to do is just do the right thing the scripture said we should and forget about our pastor/priest money doubler prayers.

Don't be deceive by anything anyone may say, just follow your mind and the scripture.

God will reward ya.
Re: Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Feb 17, 2013
our problem is religion, we are too religious in Nigeria.All the problems I have had in my life has been as a result of religion.[color=#000099][/color]

2 Likes

Re: Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? by oboy3(m): 4:30pm On Feb 17, 2013
Truth,i have always wondered why our pastors always preach more about Wealth and prosperity and forget preaching the word of God to Us
GOD WOULD SURELY HELP US Amen

2 Likes

Re: Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? by AngelEbi(f): 4:31pm On Feb 17, 2013
Thank you so much brother.

O! Hw I wish d majority would take d tym to read and meditate on this.

May God bless you abundantly.

2 Likes

Re: Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Feb 17, 2013
Christianity can make you poor if you are not careful...ask me why? Because the pastor keeps exploiting! undecided[code][/code]
Re: Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? by 40Lightyears: 4:33pm On Feb 17, 2013
No matter what, the gates of hell will never prevail against Christianity. Nothing mega! grin grin grin grin We just need to

be ever prayerful without ceasing.

2 Likes

Re: Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Feb 17, 2013
Kai
Op I will start following u like I follow Goshen360.
Keep d fire burning
Re: Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? by prairie(f): 4:33pm On Feb 17, 2013
U just hit the nail on the head, christians let's not forget the precepts of christianity, Love of God and Love of neighbour. Jesus said 'love your enemies' matt 7:44, let's not deviate from our essence: christ

5 Likes

Re: Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Feb 17, 2013
Op I refuse to listen o. Make I go pay my tithe. I have to hammer! grin

1 Like

Re: Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? by mikolam(m): 4:34pm On Feb 17, 2013
@wordthots, u r absolutely right. We sometimes forget and need to be reminded constantly. God bless u & keep speaking through you in Jesus' name. Amen

2 Likes

Re: Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? by prairie(f): 4:34pm On Feb 17, 2013
elevated2012: our problem is religion, we are too religious in Nigeria.All the problems I have had in my life has been as a result of religion.[color=#000099][/color]
sorry o, but that isnt true
Re: Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? by 40Lightyears: 4:37pm On Feb 17, 2013
Once the pagans and atheists esp., stumble on this thread it'll be war as usual. Lets bet! wink

3 Likes

Re: Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? by oddysey(m): 4:38pm On Feb 17, 2013
Well said people. It's really amazing the doctrinal/scriptural scarcity that has pervaded the church of today. Where are the 'Berean Christians' who would go back and search for themselves if what their pastor said is true? Really heartbreaking! Been a while since I heard a message on fruit of the spirit, gifts of the spirit, Christian discipline and the like. Even Paul admonished Timothy to give attendance to reading, exhortation and doctrine. These are the weightier issues. Really sad I tell you.

Was watching the TV with a young guy today and one popular 'pastor' renown for working miracles was on air. The guy was visibly excited and kept saying 'powerful man of God'. I had to caution the young man that despite the fact that I believe in miracles, that is not what primarily makes one a powerful man of God. Even demons perform miracles.

Jesus said in the last days, many will come to me saying in your name I did this and that. He would tell them, 'I NEVER KNEW YOU.' Not that He knew them before and stopped knowing them......rather, He NEVER knew them! I really long for those school-like fellowship settings we used to have back then. There was simplicity, sincerity and labour in God's word. I know I still have A LOT to do as well in labouring in the Word. God help us.

11 Likes

Re: Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? by visionbiafra: 4:39pm On Feb 17, 2013
Point of correction, Christians are the richest people in the world: Carlos Slim Helu, Bill Gates, Roman Abramovich, Bernard Arnault to name, but a few. The most powerful people in the world are also Christians: Barack Obama, the Pope, Queen Elizabeth, Dilma Russef, David Cameron, Hillary Clinton to name, but a few.

1 Like

Re: Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? by damiso(f): 4:39pm On Feb 17, 2013
Food for thought embarassed.

Seek Ye First,the Kingdom of God.

3 Likes

Re: Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? by holyvirgin: 4:39pm On Feb 17, 2013
So true, we have actually reduced God to a magician who only blesses according to how much we give.
People no longer see almsgiving as a way to show love but instead we give because we were told only riches can be attained.
@op god bless you for a wonderful piece
Re: Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? by prairie(f): 4:41pm On Feb 17, 2013
Lord let me be an instrument of your peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love, where there is injury, pardon, where there is doubt, faith, where there is despair, hope, where there is darkness, light, where there is sadness, joy. O! Divine master, grant that i may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console, to be understood as to understand, to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive, it is in pardoning that we are pardoned and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen (prayer of st francis of assisi)

9 Likes

Re: Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? by THEPOLY11: 4:42pm On Feb 17, 2013
Thank you, May GOD be with you and provide for you all your needs in JESUS NAME, i pray that GOD will send more workers to the vineyard , there are lots of work in the vineyard but the workers are few, most people parading themselves as men of GOD today are wolfs leading the sheep.

Thank GOD for your life.

1 Like

Re: Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? by Revolva(m): 4:43pm On Feb 17, 2013
I like your christ - but not your christianity - Ghandi....
Why he said so its because of the brainwash lies fused with christainity from the onset...by the westerners!!!
Re: Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? by prairie(f): 4:43pm On Feb 17, 2013
visionbiafra: Point of correction, Christians are the richest people in the world: Carlos Slim Helu, Bill Gates, Roman Abramovich, Bernard Arnault to name, but a few. The most powerful people in the world are also Christians: Barack Obama, the Pope, Queen Elizabeth, Dilma Russef, David Cameron, Hillary Clinton to name, but a few.
that isnt the point! Jesus was a carpenter!

7 Likes

Re: Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? by Nobody: 4:44pm On Feb 17, 2013
The 'Shephards' have led the 'sheep'(gullible ones) astray...that's what is happening
Re: Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? by Nobody: 4:44pm On Feb 17, 2013
prairie: sorry o, but that isnt true
Religion is not helping us, it is just a pedestal for more problems in this country.Think about it.
Re: Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? by Ebestsmscom: 4:45pm On Feb 17, 2013
40Lightyears: Once the pagans and atheists esp., stumble on this thread it'll be war as usual. Lets bet! wink
Exactly.
Don't be suprised that this thread will be above 5 pages.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Waking Up With Unexplained Scratches On My Body / Have The Bible Lost Its Value? Replaced With Tablets In Churches / Pope Benedict Announces Shocking conversion To Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.