Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:47 AM

The Exchange - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Exchange (12389 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Exchange by Osyxcel(m): 12:24pm On Mar 30, 2013
Bolushalom: Thanks Y'all!!, I wouldn't have gotten this far if not for your encouragement. Thanks a bunch. Xoxoxo

kiss kiss
Re: The Exchange by Nobody: 5:08pm On Mar 30, 2013
Things went on fine in Oderounbi's new family, she was grateful to the gods for them, she couldn't ask for any better, she however did not forget her real family, she thought about them as each day passed and prayed to the gods to protect them. Sometimes when she ran errands for her new mother on market days, she looked around hoping to see her real mother or any of her siblings, but she never did. She was however very happy, she was learning adire making very fast and her mother was proud of her, she was also getting along very well with her siblings and Labake, she had no problems with the other girls too.
One morning, her Mother told all of them that Her father and elder brothers will be returning the following night from their huntin, and they had to make preparations for their return, cook good food for them as they had gone without for a long time. Pounded yam was their father's favourite food and that was what was to be prepared with efo riro. They also had to sweep the whole compound, clean up their chambers and fetch lots of water. Preparations had to start that morning so they can be fully ready by the time the hunters got back. Before the dusk of the next day, they were done with preparations, and they waited patiently for them to return. Oderounmu's mother asked her to go to the river to have her bath as soon as the day gets a little bit darker, then she can come back and dress up to meet her elder brothers. Labake had made a new hairstyle for her the day before, she had made shuku for her, she said it would fit her oval face perfectly and it did.
Oderounbi headed to the river alone, Labake could not follow her, she and the other girls had to be there when her father and brothers arrived, to attend to them. She walked as fast as her feet could carry her, so she could get back on time. She wasn't scared about meeting her brothers nor was she nervous, she was quite sure they would be nice to her. She had seen her father before, but not enough to know him well, but she knew Odetunde before now, he was known all over the village as a generous and kind man. She was sure they would like her.
When she got to the river there was no one there except for three girls who were already making exit. She looked for a place covered with bushes where she can safely take her bath without any interference and without anyone looking. As she was about to remove her clothes, a voice from the bush asked her to stop, it was a masculine voice, she almost screamed but she covered her mouth to keep herself from doing so. A male figure came out of the bushy side of the water where she had intended to take bath. He was tall and dark, she couldn't tell if he was handsome or not as she could not see his face clearly, but he sure had a nice facial structure.
"Next time, you check well to make sure people are not around before you decide to take off your clothes" he said.
"Thank you, but you really scared me! What are you doing there at this time of the day"
" I should ask that question, you are just a girl, you shouldn't be here, at least not alone. I'm a man I can be anywhere"
"I'm not just a girl, I'm grown up otherwise my mother won't allow me here alone, and as a matter of fact you don't look that old yourself"
He changed the topic, he probably can see she was the arguing type.
"Are you from here? I've never seen you around, I'm not always around myself but I know almost everyone around here but you"
"Well, I was born and bred here and I don't have all the time in the whole world to talk to you, can you take your leave now" she snapped
The man, smiling shrugged and turned to leave, Oderounbi made sure he was out of sight before she undressed and took her bath.
When she was through, she hurried back home she wouldn't like to keep her people waiting, she'd like to give a good impression on their first meeting.
Re: The Exchange by Nobody: 6:54pm On Mar 30, 2013
Mehn, bolushalom omo u too much, if na me, i no go talk i go just mellow, but dat 1 na my b4 me, my b4 me will surely find a camera but my new me would be honourable.
Re: The Exchange by luvmijeje(f): 7:14pm On Mar 30, 2013
I deh feel u.
Re: The Exchange by Nobody: 7:28pm On Mar 30, 2013
Damex333: Mehn, bolushalom omo u too much, if na me, i no go talk i go just mellow, but dat 1 na my b4 me, my b4 me will surely find a camera but my new me would be honourable.
luvmijeje: I deh feel u.
Thanks guys!!! I hope you guys like how it goes sha... almost scared , don't wanna disappoint youuuu.
Re: The Exchange by Osyxcel(m): 5:38am On Mar 31, 2013
Bolushalom:

Thanks guys!!! I hope you guys like how it goes sha... almost scared , don't wanna disappoint youuuu.

U've done well enuf....kip it rollin'
Re: The Exchange by Nobody: 7:19pm On Mar 31, 2013
She got back home, it was apparent her father and brothers were back as her father's chamber was now lit up, something that had never happened since arrived into the family. She went straight to her chamber as her mother had instructed her before she left for the river to dress up. Her mother had given her a white powder to apply on her face, it wasn't the local one made in their village. It is one of those made by those men who were white themselves, she had never seen any of those men herself but she had heard of them and the fact that they had lots of strange things, the powder had a sweet scent that she was almost tempted to put it in her mouth. She realised they must be waiting for her, she quickly applied it to her face, she used little as her mother had told her to do earlier, too much is not good.
After she was dressed she headed to her father's chamber, when she entered they were all seated, talking and laughing, father was obviously telling them tales from their hunting experience. Her mother noticed her entrance and stood up ,held her hand and pulled her forward, she knelt down before her father whose countenance suddenly changed, she obviously reminded him of his own daughter, no matter how much of a black sheep she had been, she was his daughter, but now that she has been replaced, who can question the gods. He placed his hand on her shoulder and blessed her, his wife had told him that she named her Oderounbi, and he agreed with the name.
Oderounbi stood up to be introduced to her brothers, they were seated near their father, she recognised one of them but she wasn't sure where she knew him from. Her mother spoke,
"This is Odewande, your immediate elder brother." Odewande smiled at his sister, "And this is Odeyinka, Odewande's immediate elder brother"
He smiled too and she smiled back,
"And this is Oderenle, your eldest brother"
He smiled too, and she knew she had seen that smile before, then she remembered, he was the man from the river.

1 Like

Re: The Exchange by ninja4life(m): 10:45pm On Mar 31, 2013
So short Bleep anyway welldone so update quickly
Re: The Exchange by Nobody: 12:17pm On Apr 01, 2013
Bolu, u re just too much, oya dont keep us waiting o,u know say dat 1 s very short.
Re: The Exchange by oyestephen(m): 12:33pm On Apr 01, 2013
Keep it up bolu...xpecting more. D last update was short
Re: The Exchange by Bholar18: 12:40pm On Apr 01, 2013
I'm so much in love wt dis story,i finish each update wt thirst 4 more no matter ow long.2 d writer.....kudos!
Re: The Exchange by clockwise(m): 7:08pm On Apr 01, 2013
i will be totally ungrareful if i did nt comment after reading this nice writeup that sounds much like an epic yoruba movie. bolushalom u just make my day. kudos and kip it rolling.
Re: The Exchange by princesa(f): 4:00pm On Apr 02, 2013
nice one again...
its getting more interesting!
Re: The Exchange by loadux(f): 10:45am On Apr 03, 2013
I have been refreshing this page since hoping for an update bolu pls don't leave us hanging come and cont.
Re: The Exchange by frank317: 8:29pm On Apr 03, 2013
very nice, the problem is that you dont update
Re: The Exchange by Omolola1(f): 8:49pm On Apr 03, 2013
Subscribing!!!!!!!!!!
Re: The Exchange by switgoody(f): 8:57pm On Apr 03, 2013
;DNice one
Re: The Exchange by Ice4jez(m): 9:29pm On Apr 03, 2013
frank3.16:
very nice, the problem is that you dont update
i don tire for her too oh.one tin i no is its better to finish a quack story than to start an interesting one and not finish it.
Re: The Exchange by Nobody: 10:16am On Apr 04, 2013
Sowie guys! Exams r approaching, please understand. Will update now
Re: The Exchange by frank317: 11:01am On Apr 04, 2013
Bolushalom: Sowie guys! Exams r approaching, please understand. Will update now

Update now!!!!! who cares about exam when u can sort the lecturers but this story... and i am not looking forward to one short update
Re: The Exchange by Ice4jez(m): 11:06am On Apr 04, 2013
frank3.16:

Update now!!!!! who cares about exam when u can sort the lecturers but this story... and i am not looking forward to one short update
grin shocked frank u no serious.madam u self na wa oh.na exam time u dey read when na dat time boys dey do revision
Re: The Exchange by tundunlola(f): 2:15pm On Apr 04, 2013
Nice one there Bolushalom,I want some more,can't wait for d nxt update wink
Re: The Exchange by Nobody: 4:20pm On Apr 04, 2013
After that evening, things went back to normal. Olurounbi did most of the house chores with the maid servants and was getting perfect in her adire making skill. Her friendship with Labake grew as she got to know more about her family and how she became a maid servant. Unlike the other girls who had just come to learn the adire making skill, she became a part of the household as a result of debt owed by her father to Odetunde, she was used as a collateral till he could pay back. It was the custom of their land that a man uses his property or one of his children as a collateral for a debt he could not pay. Labake was however lucky that it was Odetunde her father owed as he and his wife had a good heart, most rich people in their village often mistreat people like her.
Odetunde was kind hearted and he was known as a man who respected the customs and tradition of the land and is careful not to break any law. He believed strongly in the gods and their decisions, this explains why he accepted Oderounbi with ease, he believed that the gods knew what they were doing when they decided to replace his daughter. The gods were probably blessing him, because his new daughter obviously is better behaved than the former who wa stubborn and rude, something that was of great concern for him when she was alive. Oderounbi on the other hand was homely and kind hearted, he could see that even though he had just spent a few days at home. Suitors will soon come for her and he can place a good amount on her for her bride price , not because he needs the money but because she was worth it. He made up his mind then that he should give her away soon, she could even participate in the village maiden dance.
Oderounbi didn't see her elder brothers for a few days after she met them, Labake told her that they had gone to sell the meat they had brought from hunting to the market meat sellers. Her younger brothers had been around going about their hunting practices. Odetade was so excited about the next hunting that he talked about it all the time, his mother often shut him up when it got too much, and he got his regular disgusted look from Odedare. One evening, Odedele finally made his way to Oderounbi's room, she then got to know that his interest in her room was as a result of his love for artwork, he told her how their parents got the ones in her room and who made them. He boasted he could make some himself and he had a collection in his room. He urged her to come with him at take a look, she followed him and he indeed showed her his collection of different artwork which he had made from clay, beads and wood, he had a talent , it was obvious from his work that he was talented, he promised to make her something before the end of the following day.
She made her way back into the compound, she went ahead to check the cloth she had soaked into dye. It was the first adire was making by herself without the help of anyone, she was going to show it to her mother when she was done, she pulled out the fabric from the water, she was not satisfied with the result and she dipped it back inside the water.
" How long has it been inside the water?." A familiar male voice from behind asked. She turned back to see her eldest brother.
" Just this morning" she replied,
" And you expect it to be done by now?",
"No, I don't, I'm just checking"
" Oh, it must be your first, I get".
She did not reply, he was right, it was her first, but he wasn't ready to stop talking or leave.
" How are you preparing for the dance?"
" What dance?"
" The village maiden dance, where young girls get suitors",
" Oh, I am not preparing for the dance"
"Why, how old are you?"
" I am nineteen years old"
" You are old enough to get married, you should be a part of the dance"
" But I am not interested in getting married"
"Why?" He asked, surprised.
" I want to be a rich business woman like mother"
"Well, she's married and she's a rich business woman.
The girl is strange, Oderenle observed, he could see she was getting tired of the conversation, so he decided to stop. He hardly spoke himself and he was known for that, but he strangely
found himself wanting to talk to her ever since he met her at the river, even though he didn't know who she was. He had been disappointed to find out that she was his sister, but there was nothing he could do, she was his sister and that's final, he had to behave like a brother and not a suitor.
"Is the food ready"
"No, but almost, erm I should go help them in the
kitchen now"
"Please, bring my food when its done"
"Ermm but Aduke does that"
"Well, I'm asking you to" he snapped, and she was surprised at him, considering he'd been friendly since.
"Alright, I will."

3 Likes

Re: The Exchange by Omolola1(f): 6:24pm On Apr 04, 2013
I see a brother falling in love with his sister (who is not even his sister). . .yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!! *me likey* tongue

2 Likes

Re: The Exchange by Bluediamond1(f): 6:57pm On Apr 04, 2013
Bolu,plssssssss.suspence is not gud for d hrt.abeg am allergic 2 suspense.

1 Like

Re: The Exchange by Nobody: 7:20pm On Apr 04, 2013
Omolola1: I see a brother falling in love with his sister (who is not even his sister). . .yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!! *me likey* tongue
Blue diamond:
Bolu,plssssssss.suspence is not gud for d hrt.abeg am allergic 2 suspense.
cheesy cheesy
Re: The Exchange by princesa(f): 9:12pm On Apr 04, 2013
i knew it! brother falling in love with a 'sister'

nice story coming on.
but....almost bit my tongue pronouncing all those Ode........this, Ode......that names grin

but its all good cool
Re: The Exchange by Jakemond(m): 10:49pm On Apr 04, 2013
Re: The Exchange by oyestephen(m): 12:08am On Apr 05, 2013
A brother and a "sister"....following
Re: The Exchange by tundunlola(f): 11:36am On Apr 08, 2013
Update joor,n stop keeping us waiting sad
Re: The Exchange by olashas(f): 8:23am On Apr 09, 2013
Bolu!! Where are u now?
Re: The Exchange by Nobody: 2:42pm On Apr 09, 2013
Guys!!! Will update tonight, been busy, I'm even typing this from a lecture room. So sowie

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers / 15 Popular Nigerian Websites To Post Their Stories For Free / The White Wizard By Tade Adegbindin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.