Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,875 members, 7,806,508 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:31 PM

The Exchange - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Exchange (12387 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Exchange by wumsgreen(f): 8:48am On Apr 10, 2013
We seriously hope Ūя̲̅ update tonite will be long cos u kept us hanging Fø̲̣я̅ too long
Re: The Exchange by Emeralddan(f): 12:45pm On Apr 15, 2013
Come and finish it na...
Re: The Exchange by esn1(f): 1:46pm On Apr 15, 2013
Please I beg u, complete this story. Love traditional abi is it folklore. Nice work dear.

1 Like

Re: The Exchange by OreMeta: 10:40pm On Apr 22, 2013
I went to Portugal and returned to find the story still not completed ?? What happened ?? Writers block ??
Re: The Exchange by Mologi(m): 5:44am On Apr 26, 2013
Is dis 1 shakara or wat?.it's d kind of BOLU dat givs rum 4 lies 2 xpres demselves.Oya ewa upload kiakia,ebe ni mo n beyin o.
Re: The Exchange by Nobody: 5:59pm On Apr 26, 2013
I'm soooo sorry guys, will update soon, Asap.
Re: The Exchange by Bilany(f): 9:22pm On Apr 26, 2013
Let your soon be soon
Re: The Exchange by princesa(f): 10:06pm On Apr 26, 2013
Bolushalom:
I'm soooo sorry guys, will update soon, Asap.
you dey try wella sad
Re: The Exchange by Nobody: 10:44am On Apr 27, 2013
Odetunde started taking the thought of giving Oderounbi away seriously. He began to search his head for a good family to whom he may give his daughter. He thought about Akingbemi, his childhood friend, who was a wealthy and great farmer with good reputation in the community. He thought marriage between their children will strengthen their long term friendship and Oderounbi will be in good hands. Akinfenwa, his friend's son is also very hard working like his father and he had the prospect of being successful and probably more wealthy than his father. He thought about his other friend Ayanrinde who had also been friends with him since he was a youth, Ayanrinde's son, Ayanbanji was a fair young man and a good drummer too, there's news that he now plays better than his father. He is very popular with the maidens of the village too because of his good looks, this didn't surprise Odetunde, Ayanbanji's father had been like that too when they were younger, he had all the girls attention, good thing about him was that he was decent, and so is his son. His previous encounter with the boy shows that he was very respectful. He could talk to either of his friends but he still had the option of letting her join the maiden dance, so she could have a wide variety of options.
He decided to ask his wife's opinion first, she has a good judgement of things like this.
Later that evening, when everybody had finished their daily chores and ate dinner, he asked to see his wife, Iya Aladire. She came in smiling and sat by him, even though she was older now, she was still beautiful and her smile reminded him of her youthful days . She was the only woman that won his heart after the death of his first wife, she was kind and she treated everyone well even if you were a slave. He so loved her that he decided not to take any wife after her. His mother had brought her home after he had refused to marry after the demise of his first wife. She had treated his first son as if he were her own child, and loved him like she did her own children. Tonight she's a lot older than the woman his mother had brought home, yet he still loved her and he was thankful to the gods.
He smiled too , "Why are you smiling?", he asked
"Because this is the first time you are asking for a private discussion since you came back"
" Ahhh, my bad, I should have called you for a private discussion, I have just had a lot of things on my mind, and I'm sorry this is not a too private conversation, if you know what I mean" he laughed and she did too.
" I hope there is no problem though" She asked
" No, this is about Oderounbi, I'm thinking about her getting married"
" So soon?! I've hardly spent time with her, and you want to give her away like that?"
" I know and I'm sorry about that, but the girl is nineteen, you want her to grow old in your house?"
" I know, but she's my only daughter", she was sobbing now
" Now don't go all emotional on me, this is a serious issue, she's getting married, not dying",
" Okay", she dried her tears "What do you intend to do now?"
" Now this is where I need your advice, I have three options" he explained to her all his options.
" I will go along with the dance, like you said, she'll have a lot of options there, and these two young men might just be a part of the options", she sighed, "I don't know if I should be sad or happy".
" You should be happy my dear, your daughter is getting married. He laughed.
Re: The Exchange by ninja4life(m): 4:15pm On Apr 27, 2013
After how many weeks gosh dis is really annoying.
Re: The Exchange by Omolola1(f): 8:36am On Apr 28, 2013
Too short
Re: The Exchange by PetDancer(f): 9:47am On Apr 28, 2013
I hate nonsense o.wat's d meaning of this ?
Re: The Exchange by wumsgreen(f): 6:48pm On Apr 28, 2013
Na wa 4 u Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡ bolu after all d long wait dis is all u can give us God D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣γ̲̣ Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡
Re: The Exchange by Nobody: 10:52am On Apr 29, 2013
I'll try and 2day....I have an exam tomao.... Sorry guys
Re: The Exchange by Osyxcel(m): 6:56pm On May 01, 2013
^^^Bolu, best of luck with Ur exams....
I suggest U suspend posting till when you are thru wit Ur exam, wit dat, U can update in one fell swoop.
Re: The Exchange by oyestephen(m): 10:07pm On May 01, 2013
Bolushalom: I'll try and 2day....I have an exam tomao.... Sorry guys
You are allowed.......please concentrate on your exams....
Re: The Exchange by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jun 01, 2013
Okies guys!
Really sorry for the long pause....Done with my exams now, and I'm home from school...so my updates will be constant......I really sowie.

2 Likes

Re: The Exchange by oyestephen(m): 10:19pm On Jun 01, 2013
Bolushalom: Okies guys!
Really sorry for the long pause....Done with my exams now, and I'm home from school...so my updates will be constant......I really sowie.
My sis's namesake. Apology accepted
Re: The Exchange by Osyxcel(m): 10:58pm On Jun 01, 2013

Success in Ur exams...

So now, let's get back to business
Re: The Exchange by Ashkormissy(f): 12:10am On Jun 02, 2013

Adupe oo.... Bawo ni exams e?
Re: The Exchange by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jun 02, 2013
Ashkormissy:

Adupe oo.... Bawo ni exams e?
oyestephen:
My sis's namesake. Apology accepted
Osyxcel:

Success in Ur exams...

So now, let's get back to business
Thanks Guys!
Re: The Exchange by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jun 02, 2013
Ha, thank God o(a dupe o, oluwa seun lopolopo) i pray 4 success 4 u in ur exams o.
Re: The Exchange by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jun 02, 2013
Her mother told her she was going to join the dance. She wasn't sure whether to be happy or sad, she wasn't sure her mother was happy or sad either. If her mother was sad, she knew it was because she didn't want her to leave the house just yet, she loved her like a mother did her real daughter, her mother was a blessing to her from the gods. She knew her father also loved her and wanted the best for her and that was why he wanted her to get married. Left to her, she would rather live with her mother and learn the Adire trade so well that she would become a successful businesswoman like her and not join some silly dance where some random guy would come pick her up for marriage. She had never given marriage any real thought, her old life did not permit her to, she had thought she was going to die an old maid, until..until her brother killed a girl and gave her a new life....a girl had to die for her life to change, the gods are mysterious, her late father must have seriously bargained with them on her behalf, now she must appreciate them too and make the new family given to her happy. She then made up her mind to join the dance and like her brother, Oderenle had said, she could be a businesswoman while married.
Oderounbi realised she had been lost in her thought for a long time, and the girls would be working on the adires now. She hurried out of her room to the dye area, she however met only Labake there working on a fabric.
"You are dying it blue?, I thought mother said orange" Oderounbi said sitting down to work on another fabric.
"Yes she did, but she said orange was too feminine". Labake replied
"Oh, I see. Where is everybody else?".
"Mother has gone with the other girls to deliver adire to the Iyaloja".
"Okay, I didn't know when they left".
"Yes, you were probably asleep".
"Probably....., Do you know anything about the maiden dance?".
"The maiden dance" Labake paused "The maiden dance!, you are joining the maiden dance!" She said excitedly.
"Yes" Oderounbi replied with less enthusiasm.
"You are joining the dance?" A deep male voice from behind said, the girls turned back, it was Oderenle.
"Yes, I am" replied Oderounbi
"You told me you were not interested in marriage"
"Yes, I did say that, but I cannot disobey father"
"No you can't" he stared at her for a while, then said "I'm going out, I'll be back later in the evening", he then turned to leave.
"So..you are not excited about this? Labake asked.
"I am, for my parent's sake, tell me about it, I mean the maiden dance"
"You don't know anything about the maiden dance?,
"No, I don't"
"Everyone in this village knows someth.."
"Do you want to tell me?", Oderounbi cut her short.
"Alright....so all the maidens gather at Iyalode's house the first day, and they get trained for the next two days on how to please and take care of the husband, they do dance rehearsals too, I heard its fun, they get to adorn their bodies with different kinds of beautiful decorations and on the fourth day they all come out and dance in front of the whole village and interested men will come and dance with the maiden of her choice".
"So I'll just accept any man that comes to dance with me"
"Yes, I guess"
"You guess?"
"But that's the point of the dance, isn't it"
"Okay, thanks."
"Don't worry, I'm sure the gods will give you a good man, you deserve one".
"Thanks Labake" She smiled.
Re: The Exchange by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jun 02, 2013
Damex333: Ha, thank God o(a dupe o, oluwa seun lopolopo) i pray 4 success 4 u in ur exams o.
Loooool! Thanks! :-)
Re: The Exchange by princesa(f): 1:50am On Jun 03, 2013
too short, but atleast we have you back. welcome backsmiley
Re: The Exchange by Nobody: 9:45am On Jun 03, 2013
princesa: too short, but atleast we have you back. welcome backsmiley
Lol, sorry....I'm just being lazy..I'll update now
Re: The Exchange by Eneze1(f): 11:58am On Jun 03, 2013
welcome back after all this while, how was ur exam? kindly update more to make up for the lost time wink
Re: The Exchange by Emeralddan(f): 8:19pm On Jun 03, 2013
Hmm she's finally back!!...sweerie u're welcome, how was the exams??
Re: The Exchange by Bilany(f): 9:31pm On Jun 03, 2013
Bolushalom:
Lol, sorry....I'm just being lazy..I'll update now
12 hours and counting...
Re: The Exchange by purpinkx(m): 7:41am On Jun 04, 2013
This piece has dragged too long ... Left to me you'd pick it up in nairaland trash .. But its not left to me angry
Re: The Exchange by princesa(f): 8:46am On Jun 04, 2013
purpinkx:
This piece has dragged too long ... Left to me you'd pick it up in nairaland trash .. But its not left to me angry
my kind of attitude cool
Re: The Exchange by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jun 04, 2013
Iya Aladire came back from her business trip later in the day, she told everyone that they were expecting a visitor and a special meal had to be prepared. The younger boys were excited, they seem to like special occasions since they get to specially prepared food and might even drink palm wine if their elder brothers will permit. The girls with Iya Aladire started the meal preparation. The visitors were their father's, so they again made pounded yam, this time with egusi soup. The younger boys kept coming back to check if the food was ready, and would groan whenever they discovered it wasn't. Their mother finally sent them away and asked them not to come back.
By the time the meal was ready, the visitors had arrived. It was evening, the boys, including the elder ones were served in their rooms. Iya Aladire made Oderounbi change her cloth, Oderounbi wondered why she had to but didn't question her mother. She was asked with the other girls to serve her father and the visitors food in his chamber. The visitors were a Family, a man who was about her father's age, a woman she guessed must be either his daughter or a younger wife, and two younger men she also guessed must be his sons. They placed down the food on the stools, and knelt down to greet the visitor. They turned to leave, but Odetunde called his daughter back.
"This is Oderounbi, my daughter" he said to his friend and Oderounbi knelt down again.
"Ahh, the gods have done well" her father's friend said. "May the gods bless you".
"Ase" Oderounbi replied
"These are his two of his sons, Akinfenwa and Akinjide. Akinfenwa is a friend of your brother." Her father said to her and to the young man he called Akinfenwa he said "Would you like to see your friend"
"Yes sir" Akinfenwa replied
"Oderounbi, take him to your brother's room"
"Yes, father" Oderounbi stood up and left the room, Akinfenwa followed. They headed for Oderenle's apartment.
"I'm really happy to meet you,I never knew Denrele had a beautiful sister as you, would have visited a long time before now" Akinfenwa said
"Thank you" Oderounbi replied without looking at him. She wasn't used to flattery
"I'm just joking, but you are really beautiful"
"Thanks again"
"I hope to see more of you though"
"I'm sure you will, since our fathers are friends, and you are a friend of my brother's"
"I'm sure too" Akinfenwa replied with a wide grin. By this time they had gotten to Oderenle's apartment and Oderounbi knocked
"Ahh, Fenwa, its you, long time my friend" Oderenle said after he had opened the door.
"I'll take my leave now", Oderounbi turned to leave
"Thank you" Akinfenwa said
"Please come in" Oderenle invited Akinfenwa in after Oderounbi had left.
"You have a beautiful sister" Akinfenwa said
"Yes, I do, how is work?" Oderenle replied, trying to change the topic.
"Work is very fine, thank you, and so is your sister. I heard she joining the maiden dance, and from what I have seen now, I may just choose her"
"Alright"
"Why do you sound like that, you cannot marry your sister you know" Akinfenwa said jokingly and laughed
"You don't even know her well enough and you want to choose her the dance, you don't even love her"
"Love does not come before marriage my friend, it comes after. I know a good girl when I see one, your sister is one. Do you have problem with me choosing her?".
"No, not at all....Its okay".
"I understand, just a brother watching out for his little sister. Strange though, considering she just became your sister."
There was silence, Akinfenwa again broke the silence.
"Tell me about your hunting adventure"
Oderounbi returned to her room after the visitors had left. She put off her iro and buba, then tied a wrapper around her bosom, she laid on her bed and tried to think about all that had happened that day. Just then, she heard a knock on the door, it was her mother, she stood up from the bed and greeted her.
"Thank you my child, and well done for the day"
"Thank you, mother"
"I can see you were in bed already, sorry that I came to disturb you"
"Its no problem mother"
"So, now you've met that fine young man, the one your father asked you to see to your brother's room", Iya Aladire said smiling
"Yes mother"
" He's a very nice and hard-working young man, his purpose of visiting with his father was to meet you, if you know what I mean"
"Yes mother, but I thought I was joining the dance"
"Yes, you are, but this is just a chance to meet you before the dance, it doesn't stop other men from being interested in you, but of he's among the interested men, we would just advice you to choose him.
Oderounbi wondered why they didn't just arrange a marriage between then if they wanted her to choose him, but she did not say anything.
"Alright mother"
"Thank you my daughter, I'll just leave you to sleep now". With that Iya Aladire left the room.
Oderounbi was uncomfortable with the whole idea, but it had to be. She had to place the interest of family above hers and make them happy. They had been nice to her, now its her turn.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers / 15 Popular Nigerian Websites To Post Their Stories For Free / The White Wizard By Tade Adegbindin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.