Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,272 members, 7,780,607 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:32 PM

As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story (68290 Views)

5 Major Reasons Why You Need To Read Non-Fictional Books / Fictional Story - Broken By Dharmie Lisa (@dharmielisa) / Road To Fame (A Fictional Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 3:40pm On Feb 14, 2013
C ha mouth,she can't share ha soup but on d mention of chilled malt she is rejoicing. Wen sud we be expecting the next update aunty sarah.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by adebayo201: 5:01pm On Feb 14, 2013
Nice one aunty serah bt watch the way you use the name of your character. At first u mention Promise,Prince*nt sure of this* and Gift bt in the 2nd scene,u start wit Patience*wc appear twice* instead of Promise.

Thanks 4 d story,hope sey person no go get belle oh!
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 7:48pm On Feb 14, 2013
Thanks. I will adjust.

The next update will be posted next week.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by oyestephen(m): 12:24pm On Feb 15, 2013
Fantastic work serah...but y d once per week update I'm an oliver twist
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by adebayo201: 1:51pm On Feb 15, 2013
serahsadeiyare: Thanks. I will adjust.

The next update will be posted next week.
also, from my own point of view, i'll suggest that if u'll be posting once a week, let us know the day in particular that u'll be [posting. undecided undecided smiley
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 5:48pm On Feb 15, 2013
See Oliver Twist... Lol

I am trying to avoid disappointing you all. That is why I am not picking any day of the week.

But, I will faithfully post updates once a week.

Thank you all.

Muuaah!
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by adebayo201: 8:27am On Feb 19, 2013
serahsadeiyare: See Oliver Twist... Lol

I am trying to avoid disappointing you all. That is why I am not picking any day of the week.

But, I will faithfully post updates once a week.

Thank you all.

Muuaah!

k. no p grin
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 5:04pm On Feb 19, 2013
The story continues today *winks*
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 5:05pm On Feb 19, 2013
As Deep As The Sea 3

On her way to the canteen, the principal called out to her. She saw him standing beside a middle age woman under the mango tree. The tree was very fruitful. Whenever the fruits were ripe, the students and teachers would pluck them until none was left.

'What does this man want from me?' She said to herself and approached him.

"Good afternoon sir. Good afternoon madam."

The woman nodded and smiled a bit.

"Please help Mrs. Kufuaye to carry these bags to her car," Mallam Bature instructed her.

Promise groaned. 'What kind of man is this? Didn't he see any student around? Why did he call me? Why is this man always disturbing me?' She said within her and picked up the polythene bags at the foot of the tree. The weight of the bags made her to stagger a bit. 'My God! They are so heavy! Does this man think I am Super woman or Wonder woman? This is pure punishment.' She hissed and followed the woman to her car. She wondered what was in the polythene bags. She tried to peep but she was at a disadvantage due to the weight of the bags.

Mrs. Kufuaye unlocked and opened the boot of her car. Promise placed the polythene bags inside the boot and started to walk away.

"Wait!"

She halted and turned around. 'What does she want now? I am hungry. I am tired. I have done what the principal wanted. I don't have time for all this nonsense.'

"Promise, right?"

She nodded and approached her.

"What is your discipline?"

Promise sighed. 'Now what? What is her business? Why does she want to know what I read at school? What kind of trouble have I entered today?' She cleared her throat, "I studied Mass Communication."

The woman's expression brightened, "Really?"

"Yes, ma."

She smiled, "I work at Yellow Tube Communications. We need people like you. Why don't you come and serve in our company?"

Promise's jaw dropped in shock. 'Did she just say that I should come and serve where she worked? I know Yellow Tube Communications, it is one of the best communications company in Nigeria and they pay their staff well. Is this really happening or am I dreaming? If I am dreaming, I don't want to wake up.' She blinked and stared back at the woman. She closed her mouth and opened them again.

The woman laughed, "I can influence your transfer. We need people like you... " She looked around, "You are wasting your skills teaching in this school."

She nodded in agreement, "Yes, ma. You are right ma," her heart began to race. 'Is this really happening to me? God! God! God! Shame on me! Shame on you Promise. I have been grumbling since the principal called me. God have mercy on me. I am so sorry daddy.'

"I am not against Corpers teaching at schools, but I feel more of them should be given opportunities to serve where they are most needed."

"I believe so too ma."

The woman gave her a complimentary card.

"Call me."

"Yes, ma. Thank you ma."

Mrs. Kufuaye got into her car and drove away.

Promise removed her khaki face cap from her head and used it to fan herself. 'Abuja is so hot.' She stared at the card long and hard. 'God please give Mrs. Kufuaye the grace to get me out of here. Oh my! Oh my! Forgive me for grumbling and complaining. Oh Lord God! Promise! Promise! Promise! You! You! You!' She prayed and admonished herself. She bit at one of her fingers. This was exactly what she had asked God for before she left Lagos. 'Hey! Principal thank you for disturbing me! You can disturb me anytime you want. God, I will stop grumbling and complaining.'

She headed for the school canteen. She needed to eat, but her stomach felt full all of a sudden. Would she be able to eat? She was too excited to eat. God had answered her prayers. If it all worked out, she wouldn't have to disturb her parents at the end of the month. God was so good.

"You must celebrate your new transfer with us," Bolatito tapped Promise on the shoulder, "You can host us at Yahuza suya spot or Mama Cass."

"I hear you."

"How I wish I can also get a new place of primary assignment. I will be so happy," Kabira waved her hands in the air. Promise and Bolatito laughed at her comical display.

Adaeze hissed, "Stop fooling yourselves. God knows why we were all posted to schools to teach. Influencing your place of primary assignment is just like deviating from his plans."

They all stared at her, the jealousy in her tone wasn't lost to them all.

"I hope PHCN will give us electricity soon," Promise changed their topic of discussion. There had been light off since mid-day. They had decided to sit outside their apartment when they couldn't take the heat anymore.

"Now that you will be earning something aside from what the Federal government is paying us, you can at least buy a generator," Adaeze adjusted the stool she sat on.

"Adaeze!" Bolatito clapped her hands and faced her room-mate, "You want Promise to use all the money Yellow Tube gives her to buy a generator. You are very wicked," she eyed her.

"Please mind your business. I was addressing Promise and not you," Adaeze retorted.

Kabira signalled to Promise to remain quiet. They all knew Adaeze to be a trouble maker.

The bachelor living in the apartment opposite theirs drove into the compound.

"Hey! Bachelor is back!" Adaeze jumped to her feet and hurried away.

Kabira and Promise shook their heads. They all knew she had been longing for the man since they moved into the compound.

"That girl is acting so cheap," Bolatito hissed.

"Leave her alone," Kabira yawned.

"I am going to spoil her show tonight," Bolatito left them.

"Bola! Bola!"

Bola ignored her and joined Adaeze who was chatting with the bachelor.

"Bola is looking for Adaeze's trouble."

"Leave both of them. They are both after the bachelor."

Kabira hissed. Her mission in Abuja was to serve her country and nothing else. She would rather allow a man to chase her than to throw herself at him.

"Shameless girls," she hissed again.

Promise watched her room-mates who were competing for the bachelor's attention. She doubted if she would date anyone during her service year. She would rather wait till she returned to Lagos, get a good job, then she would be ready for a serious relationship. The last relationship she was involved in started and ended at school. She wasn't ready for a repeat.

Promise walked into the Publications department and greeted everyone seated. The office was large and it was divided into five cubicles.

"You must be Promise Daodu, we have been expecting you," the only lady in the office shook hands with her.

"Okay."

"I am Maimuna Idris."

"Okay," she smiled at the woman who looked a little bit over thirty.

"This is Abubakar Sheu, Ogbonna Ilechukwu and Edet Uduak," Maimuna introduced her colleagues.

"It is nice to meet you all," she smiled at them.

"You are welcome," the men chorused.

"Our head of department has gone out. When he returns, he will see you."

"Okay."

"I will give you a tour around the office."

"Thank you," Promise followed her. She had not been sure how she would be received. She had not expected her new colleagues to be nice to her. She thanked God in her heart. Her service year was turning out to be perfect.

At the end of her first day at Yellow Tube Communications, Promise called her parents and informed them that she was no longer teaching in a Secondary school. They rejoiced with her and wished her well. She also called her siblings. Prince was elated and Gift was thrilled and reminded her of her plans to visit.

Promise wondered how Gift would cope with her roomates. The apartment was barely convenient for four girls to live in, a visit from her younger sister would cause chaos. She might have to stall her sister's visit until one or two of her room-mates decided to travel home. That was the best plan she could come up with at the moment. She was happy that things seemed to be working out in her favour. God was so good to her and she was eternally grateful.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by adebayo201: 5:32pm On Feb 19, 2013
Waow! 9z one dr!
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 6:05pm On Feb 19, 2013
@adebayo201... *winks*
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 12:15am On Feb 20, 2013
Wowww!, promise don c beta job. That 1 sef gud.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 4:12pm On Mar 02, 2013
Happy New Month!

Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 5:06pm On Mar 02, 2013
serahsadeiyare: Happy New Month!

hey since 10 days ago
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 11:12pm On Mar 02, 2013
@Damex333... Oliver Twist! Everybody read it when I specifically posted that I will update once a week. I will spank you now. I have bought cane already.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Emeraldz(f): 8:06am On Mar 03, 2013
Oya, where is the story now?
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by adebayo201: 12:58pm On Mar 03, 2013
serahsadeiyare: @Damex333... Oliver Twist! Everybody read it when I specifically posted that I will update once a week. I will spank you now. I have bought cane already.
abeg oh shocked
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 7:53pm On Mar 03, 2013
I slept off last night.

I will post it tonight.

It's being a very long day.

Thanks for you admirable patience.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by beautiful80: 8:50am On Mar 04, 2013
serahsadeiyare: I slept off last night.

I will post it tonight.

It's being a very long day.

Thanks for you admirable patience.
:| are u still sleepin or are u trying to....
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 5:14pm On Mar 04, 2013
I slept off again.

I apologize.

I will make it up to you all by posting two updates this week.

Thank you for your valuable patience and consideration.

I love you all *muaah!*
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Splendblex(f): 8:30pm On Mar 04, 2013
Aunty....sad
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Osgee(m): 9:08pm On Mar 04, 2013
Stil waitin 4 d update.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 4:13pm On Mar 05, 2013
As Deep As The Sea 4

Promise and her room-mates sat on the King-size bed playing a game of ludo. It was a Saturday evening; rather than hang out at an eatery or a suya joint, they decided to remain indoors. It had been a busy week for them all, the weekend was a warm comfort to their tired bodies and minds.

"I am so glad that in the next two weeks we will be on vacation," Bolatito clapped her hands and lifted her shoulders in a dance-like motion.

"I am traveling home on the fifteenth of this month, I need to start preparing for Christmas," Adaeze scratched her scalp. The sooner she loosed her weave-on, the better. It was beginning to itch with vengence.

Kabira hissed, "Both of you are lucky, my school won't be vacating until the twentieth of this month."

Bolatito patted her on the back, "Awww... Sorry. That means that you and Promise will have the apartment all to yourself."

"So? Is that suppossed to console me or what?" Kabira hissed again.

Bolatito opened her mouth, but, the ringtone of Promise's phone interrupted her line of thoughts. She closed her mouth and concentrated on the game.

"Where is my phone?" She looked around and saw it on the table. She crawled away from the bed and reached out for it. She glanced at the caller I.D, it was Maimuna. She wondered why her colleague was calling. She hoped that it wasn't work related.

"Hello."

"Hi Promise, evening."

"Good evening."

"Are you coming?"

"Coming?" She wondered what her colleague was talking about, "Coming for what?"

"H.O.D's wedding anniversary."

Promise sprang up to her feet. Her room-mates abandoned the ludo game and focused on her.

"Is it today?" Her heart began to race.

"Yes, silly girl. Don't tell me that you have forgotten."

She placed a hand on her forehead, she had forgotten. How? Why? 'Silly girl!' She berated herself.

"Hello, are you still there?"

"Yes, yes... I forgot."

"Really? Okay, the party is at his house. I will text you his address. Make sure you get there on time."

"I will be there, thanks."

"You are welcome."

Once her colleague hung up, she faced her room-mates who were staring at her, wondering what the phone call was all about.

"What?" Kabira picked up a pillow and held it close to her chest.

"Today is my boss' wedding anniversary and I forgot," she drop her phone on the table.

Adaeze hissed, she had thought it was something important.

"I forgot to buy him a gift. I didn't even buy a wedding anniversary card." They felt sorry for her due to the frustration in her voice.

"Quit the drama girlfriend, you can always buy him a gift on Monday or whenever," Adaeze eyed her.

Bolatito frowned at her but decided to ignore her and focused on Promise.

"What am I going to wear?"

"Now you are speaking my language," Bolatito got off the bed and pushed her towards the wardrobe. Kabira threw the pillow at Adaeze and joined them.

"What is wrong with you?" Adaeze threw the pillow back at Kabira but she dodged it.

"What time is the party?"

"Seven."

Kabira glanced at the wall clock, "It is past six, we are going to be late."

"You are right, I haven't taken my bath today," Bolatito scratched a spot on her thigh.

"Go and take your bath. Do not delay us. We still need to pick what we are going to wear."

Promise stopped what she was doing and faced them, "Wait, wait, wait, what do you mean by 'we'?"

Kabira placed her hands on her waist and faced her, "Do you think that we are going to allow you to go to that party alone?"

"A Yellow Tube staff's wedding anniversary party for that matter," Bolatito added.

Promise folded her hands across her bossom. Her phone began to vibrate. She looked around for it and saw it on the table. She picked it up, it was a text message. She opened and read it.

"Wow!"

Kabira and Bolatito looked at her.

"The party is at my boss' place and he lives in Maitama."

Kabira shrugged. The distance was not a problem.

"It doesn't matter, we will get there. I am going to take my bath," Bolatito walked out of the room.

Promise sighed, Maitama was far away from Garki. They would arrive at the party late, she hoped no-one will notice their arrival.

"Adaeze, why are you sitting down? Please don't delay us."

"Did I tell you that I want to go to the party?" She eyed her room-mate and hissed.

"Whatever," Kabira pulled out her box. She needed to select a special dress for the party.

Promise stared at all her clothes in the wardrobe. What was she going to wear?

Promise called Maimuna immediately she got to her boss' residence with her room-mates. The sound of music coming from the compound was very loud. The whole place seemed to be vibrating. Her colleague came out of the house and led them to the table tagged 'Publication department'. She introduced Promise's room-mates to their colleagues, Abubakar, Ogbonna and Edet. She also called three service boys who took their others and brought them their food and drinks.

Bolatito pinched Promise's hand.

"Ouch!"

"Sorry, just trying to get your attention," Bolatito winked at her.

"That was painful," Promise frowned at her.

"I am sorry."

Kabira tried not to laugh, but she could hardly suppress it. Bolatito could be a pain in the neck when one least expected it.

"Your boss' house is very big, he must be very wealthy," Bolatito grinned.

Promise shrugged.

"I doubt if he got this house through his monthly salary, I think he is making extra cash through some other business," Kabira added.

Bolatito nodded in agreement, "Even though Yellow Tube pays well and all that, he must be earning more money somewhere else."

Promise shrugged again. She didn't want to talk about her boss. She doesn't care where or how he made his money. Her mind was concentrated on the fact that she had not bought him a gift. She hoped he wouldn't notice. She might try and get him a gift the following week. She hoped she won't forget again.

Abubakar winked at Kabira, "Do you mind joining me on the dancing floor?"

Her eyes widened with shock. She was surprised at his request. She had noticed the way he looked at her when they arrived, but, she had ignored the thought that he found her attractive.

"Please join me," Abubakar got to his feet and stretched out a hand. Kabira swallowed hard and took it. His fingers felt warm around hers. They both left the table and joined the crowd on the dancing floor.

Bolatito cleared her throat and hit Promise with her elbow. She pointed a warning finger at her annoying room-mate.

"Kabira has gotten herself a man. Sharp girl," Bolatito winked at her.

"Nothing is happening, they are just dancing."

"That is how it always starts."

Promise ignored her and beckoned to one of the service boys. She ordered another glass of chapman and gave the young man her empty glass.

"That is your fourth glass, too much of sugar is not good for your system."

"I am just twenty-five. My body can handle it."

"You are so on your own."

"I hear you."

The service boy brought Promise's drink. She thanked him and picked the glass of chapman from the tray.

"You should try this," she winked at Bolatito.

"No, thank you. I am watching my weight."

Promise chuckled and sized her room-mate up. Bolatito was very dark in complexion, but her skin glowed like a ceramic vase. All her expensive body creams and lotions were doing wonders. Her plump figure made her look a little bit shorter than her five feet seven inches height. She wasn't over-weight, but if she was careless, she could add weight faster than the speed of light.

Suddenly, she felt pressed. She tapped Maimuna on the palm and asked where the restroom was. Her colleague directed her to the guest quarters behind the mansion. Promise left their table and squeezed her way through the crowd. She found the quarters and located the restroom. On her way back, she met her boss.

"Good evening sir, happy anniversary sir," her heart began to race. She had not expected to meet him tonight. How she forgot to buy him a gift, she couldn't comprehend.

"Promise, how are you doing?"

"Fine, thank you sir."

"I hope you are enjoying yourself."

"Yes sir."

He sized her up, from hair to shoes. She noticed his intensed gaze and felt uncomfortable. Why was he staring at her as if he had not seen her before?

"You look pretty. Seeing you without your Nysc uniform... You look prettier."

"Oh... " She blushed and looked away, "Thank you sir."

"Enjoy yourself, it's my party," he patted her on the shoulder and walked away.

Promised dugged her fingers into her weave-on and tried to scratch her itchy scalp.

"That is so not lady-like."

She turned and saw Bolatito walking towards her.

"Are you stalking me?"

"No, but you are not the only one who was pressed."

"Really?"

"Yes," she reached out for her hand and pulled her along. Promise grumbled all the way to the restroom.

Dark clouds filled the sky. The rumbling sound of thunder made it hard to hear anything else. Promise stood with the crowd at the bus-stop and hoped to get a cab home before it started to rain.

"Corper, that man in that car is calling you," someone in the crowd tapped her on the shoulder and pointed to a black homer jeep packed a stone throw away from the bus-stop. She wondered who it was. She doesn't accept lifts from strangers. She debated whether to ignore him or go to see who it was.

Lightning struck and the roaring thunder followed. It began to rain and Promise ran towards the car.

"Get in, where are you heading to?"

Her jaw dropped when she saw her boss, Keshinro, at the driver's seat.

"Good evening sir."

"Get in."

She opened the door and got in, "Thank you sir."

He nodded, "Where are you headed?" He started the car and nosed into the road.

"Home... Garki, Area one."

"Okay, it's along my way."

She relaxed and beamed. She had been saved from two things; been drenched by the rain and spending more money on the inflated cab fare. She wondered why transporters always increase their fares whenever it rained.

"How are you enjoying working for Yellow Tube?" His husky voice cut through her thoughts.

"Well... It is okay."

"Hmmm... " His hazel eyes remained on the wet road.

"I hope I will be retained after my service year."

He smiled, "If you are very determined and hard working, that won't be a problem."

Promise nodded and bit at her lower lip. It was her desire to work for a reputable communication company such as Yellow Tube after her service year. She would have the opportunity to travel round the world and see places she had only seen on the television and internet.
'God, please let them retain me after my service year. I would really like to work at Yellow Tube Communications Company.' She said a prayer within her.

"You are a beautiful young woman."

She turned to look at him and met his intensed gaze. Her heart missed a beat, she looked away immediately. 'Why is he staring at me like that? My God! If looks could kill, I should have been burnt and dead by now.'

"How old are you?" His question interrupted her thoughts.

"I am... " She glanced at him, his eyes were fixed on the road, "I am twenty-five."

He smiled, "You are a full grown woman, old enough to make your own decisions," he met her gaze and winked at her. She looked away again.

'God please ease the traffic. Let us get home fast! I am not comfortable with the way my boss is staring at me. It is as if... Does he find me attractive?' She shook her head, 'Even if he does, he isn't the only man who have noticed how beautiful I am. For the love of God, he is married! I don't want to know the kind of games he thinks he is playing. I am not interested. I just want to go home.'

"Are you okay?"

"Hmmmm... " She glanced at him. Was he talking to her? What did he say?

"There is a big scowl on your face."

She came to the realization that she was frowning in an angry way.

"Oh! Sorry sir."

"What were you thinking about?"

"Nothing sir."

"What is the name of your street?"

She rubbed the window with her palm and discovered that they were close to her place, "It is the street beside the library."

"Oh! Okay. I can see the library," he turned the car into the busy lane, "What number?"

"Number two."

Keshinro pulled over in front of a compound with the fence painted brown and cream.

"Thank you sir," she smiled at him and tried to opened the door, but it was locked.

"Wait... "

She sighed and leaned back on the seat. 'Oh Lord God! Now what?'

"I am going to be straight with you. I like you. You are a very beautiful young woman and I will like to take care of you. If you agree to date me, I promise to be faithful and I expect the same from you."

Promise stared at her boss, shocked beyond words. She looked away and coughed. 'God get me out of this.'

"Sir, I ... I don't date married men, I am a born again christian," she drew her hand bag closer.

Keshinro laughed a bit and placed a hand on her thigh, "I am also a christian."

She pushed his hand away and glared at him, "Please don't touch me."

He sighed and started the car, "I will give you time to think about it. I want you to come with me to Paris for Christmas."

Promise got out of the car and closed the door. She half ran and half walked into the compound without bidding her boss goodbye.

'He is out of his mind! What is today's date?' She brought out her phone from her bag and checked the mobile calendar. Yellow Tube Communications Company would be closing down for the holidays in five days time. She would try and avoid her boss for the next few days. She would travel to Lagos and spend the holidays with her family.

'How old is he? Maimuna said he is forty. He must be going through mid-life crisis. How else could a married man who claimed to be a christian ask her out? He is insane! Something is definitely wrong with this man.'

She found her way to her apartment and knocked. Kabira let her in. They were the only two corpers left in the compound. Everyone else had travelled home for the holidays.

She noticed that they had company. Abubakar was seated on the only chair in the room, eating a bowl of semovita with vegetable soup.

"Come and join me," he beckoned to her.

"No thank you. Enjoy yourselves."

She wondered if he was dating Kabira. Or were they just friends? Who cares? She would rather wait for her room-mate to open up to her instead of harassing her with questions about her private life. That was the least of her problems. What was she going to do about her boss?

'God, I need you to address this situation. Please get my boss off my back. Please God, please.'
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 4:20pm On Mar 05, 2013
I will post the next update this week *winks*
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by BukkyDan(f): 7:36pm On Mar 06, 2013
Wow...I missed alot..thank God I'm back! Hy aunty Serah...I hail thee!
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 12:45am On Mar 07, 2013
@BukkyDan... Thanks Sweerie. Bukky darling, one of d bestest writers in d world... *winks*
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by MumZ(f): 5:20pm On Mar 07, 2013
All dis marrid men wey no go leave small gals alone. Students n corpers r usually victims. Sarah plssssss try 2 post as promisd. Me likey, cheers.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 7:49pm On Mar 07, 2013
@Mum Z... Thanks *Hugs*

I will update soon. I will not fail you all in Jesus name Amen.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by adebayo201: 8:35pm On Mar 07, 2013
Haba! Wel thanks 4 dz one Serah,ma'am.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 9:35am On Mar 08, 2013
As Deep As The Sea 5

Promise and Kabira locked their apartment and got into the cab waiting for them at the gate. The driver hurled their luggages into the boot of the car and headed for the airport.

"What time is your flight?"

"Four. When is yours?"

"Three," Promise leaned closer to the window and gazed out.

"I am so glad that I am heading back to Jos. A month in that city is totally worth it."

Promise looked back at her, "You are lucky. Yellow Tube is resuming in three weeks time."

"Really?"

She nodded.

"I don't envy you at all."

Promise's phone began to ring. She checked the caller's ID, it was her boss. She glared at the phone. 'Why can't this man leave me alone? Why can't men take no for an answer? This man should stop stressing me.' She had succeeded in avoiding him for five good days. He had tried calling her a few times, but she refused to respond. He had sent her text messages concerning the Paris trip, but she had also ignored his messages. She had thought he would back off, but, this wasn't the case. The phone kept on ringing.

"Won't you pick your call?"

She shook her head and leaned closer to the window. She had been approached by married men in the past, but she had always said no. It was wrong to date a married man. It was against her faith and believes. It was also morally wrong. If she decided to have an affair with a married man, whoever she married would definitely cheat on her. Whatever one sow, one would reap.

Kabira stared at her. Promise was the closest to her among her room-mates. She had been acting kind of far-off and detached for the past few days. She hoped all was well with her. The holidays would definitely do her good. They all needed time off work. The past three months had been very demanding.

They arrived at the airport and the cab driver pulled their luggages out of the boot. Promise and Kabira hugged and went in different directions.

Promise located Aero Contractors counter and joined the short queue. Her phone began to ring again. She checked the caller's ID and hissed. The sooner she was out of Abuja, the better.

"Promise... "

She heard her name.

"Promise... "

She turned and looked around. Who was that?

"Promise... Hello... Over here! "

She saw someone waving his hand. She narrowed her eyes and saw a six foot tall broad shouldered fair skinned man standing at a distance, clad in a pair of white shorts and skin hugging black tee shirt. She swallowed hard, it was her boss.

'What sort of man is this? God where are you?'

He approached her and her heart did a somersault.

'God please come down. Come down now!'

"Heading back to Lagos?"

She nodded and avoided looking at him directly.

"Come with me to Paris. We will leave tonight and be back in two weeks time. That leaves you a week to visit your family."

She met his intensed gaze with a scowl.

"I know you like me too," he brushed a hand over her face. She backed away immediately, as if she had just been stung.

"Don't touch me," she eyed him and tried to still her racing heart. He was right, she did like him. She had been attracted to him since the first time they met. She was a sucker for fair, tall men. But he was married and he was fifteen years older than her. If he was still single, she would have waved off his age and dated him, but he wasn't.

"Promise, why do you want us to suffer? We like each other. We need to be together."

She threw a glance at the dwindling queue at Aero Contractors counter.

"I am falling in love with you. I want you. Every night... Thoughts of you fill my head. I can't sleep anymore. I am a mess... I feel like a teenager longing for his sweet heart," he reached out for her, but she stepped away from him and pointed a warning finger.

Keshinro ran a hand through his clean shaved head. He didn't know how else to convince her. If she refused to follow him to Paris, his holidays would be totally ruined. He might take his wife and children, but he won't be happy. This wasn't the first time he was cheating on his wife, but, this was the first time he was feeling this way for any woman.

Promise held on to her luggage. 'God, I am physically attracted to a married man. My service year will be completed in nine months. I don't know if I will be able to stay in Yellow Tube if my boss continues to harass me. Please help me God,' she prayed within her. She needed a solution fast!

A female voice announced the flight to Lagos. The sound of her voice filled the hall.

"That is my flight, I have to go."

"Promise," he reached out for her hand and drew her close. She gasped in surprise. Her luggage slipped from her hand and fell on the tiled floor. She tried to free herself but his grip on her tightened.

'What has gotten into this man?! He must be out of his mind. How can he hold me like this in public? He is married for Peter's sake. He is so shameless!' Her angry gaze drilled into his pleading stare.

"Promise, my love. Come with me to Paris."

"You are a married man! What is wrong with you? Your wife and children are at home and you are here holding unto what is not yours."

"Please, please give us a chance... I know you feel the same way about me."

"Cut the crap! I have had enough of this... This has to stop sir... Please leave me alone," she pushed him away, picked up her luggage and walked straight to Aero Contractors counter. She checked-in and was given her boarding pass.

Keshinro sighed heavily, turned around and headed for the exit.

The noisy sound of fireworks woke her up with a start. Promise got out of bed squinting her eyes. She staggered towards the window, pulled away the curtain and flung it open. Hot sun rays flooded her vision. She shielded her eyes with both hands and peeped to see what the noise was all about. A group of children were engaged in a battle and their only ammunition was fireworks. She cursed under her breath and shut the window.

"Merry Christmas!" Prince and Gift dashed into her room without knocking, bearing a tray of club-sandwich and a mug of steaming beverage.

She ignored them and returned to bed. She was bent on going back to sleep. She was tired and her bones ached. She had helped her mother to cook the other night. She had, had only three hours of sleep so far. She needed more.

"Promise, mummy sent us to give you your breakfast in bed," Gift approached her elder sister.

"I am not interested. I want to sleep," she pulled the blanket over her head.

She glanced at her brother and he shrugged. They placed the tray on a stool beside her bed and tip-toed out of the room.

"Why is she so tired?"

"She cooked with mum last night."

"So? She used to do that before."

"I guess the fact that she hasn't done it in a while is... I guess she is just tired."

"Hmmm... You women!" Prince snorted and headed for the dining room.

"And what is that supposed to mean?" Gift hurried after him.

Promise got out of bed again and shut the door. She heard everything her siblings said. She yawned and stretched. Why was she so tired? She walked back to the bed and picked up the tray of food. She wondered where her mother got the strength from to prepare breakfast after all the cooking the other night.

'God give me the strength to do what needs to be done when I am married. It will not be funny if I am too tired to take care of my husband and children. If my mum can do it, so can I.'

She bit into the sandwich. 'My God! This is heaven.' She took another bite and munched with relish. It was good to be back home. She wasn't looking forward to returning to Abuja. She hoped the remaining months of her service year will come to an end with speed.

She had not received any calls, texts or emails from her boss since she left him at the airport four days ago. It had been a relief, but, it had also scared her. She wondered if he would pay her back for rejecting him. What if he made her remaining months in Yellow Tube miserable? What if he doesn't stop disturbing her? She might quit and return to her first place of primary assignment. She doubt if she could stomach anymore harassment from him.

'God please take control. Please take perfect control. I need you now more than ever.'

Gift found her sister seated on a cane chair outside the house, munching at a piece of chicken.

"Enjoyment galore."

Promised looked up at her and smiled.

"I guess all the hard work paid off after all."

She chuckled and sipped at her drink.

"Mum gave you free pass into the kitchen because you helped her to cook, lucky you."

"You should have joined us."

Gift placed a chair beside her sister and sat down, "I was watching a very interesting movie on dstv."

"Wow! The movie ended, but, the chicken fiesta has just begun."

"Whatever... "

Promise bursted out laughing.

"I am coming with you to Abuja once you resume."

She stopped laughing.

"School isn't resuming until the end of the month. That gives me two weeks maximum to explore Abuja."

She cleared her throat, "Wait... " She was the only one resuming work on the seventh of January. Her roomates would be resuming mid-month. She would have the apartment all to herself for a week.

"What?" She hoped her sister wouldn't stall her visit any longer.

"You can come with me to Abuja..."

"Hurray!" Gift hugged her sister in excitement.

"Okay, okay, you can let go now... Don't choke me, I have a purpose to fulfill on this earth."

Gift released her sister and started to dance.

"But, you can only spend one week. On your next visit, you can stay longer."

"No problem," she danced into the house.

Promise smiled and shook her head. Prince came out of the house in a hurry. He found his sister and settled on the seat beside her.

"Gift said she is coming with you to Abuja."

"Hmmmm... "

"When am I visiting?"

"Soon... " She sucked at the bone.

"How soon?"

She faced him, "Just give me a call when you are ready and I will schedule your visit according to my plans."

He nodded in satisfaction, "Okay, okay, I will let you know."

"Good."

He picked up her empty glass and the discarded crushed bones and headed back into the house.

Promise relaxed on the chair, "Life is good." She smiled and yawned. She was going to enjoy the holidays to the fullest.

'God, thank you for this wonderful time of rest.'

"Thank you for the holidays!" She shouted out loud. In that very same moment, several fireworks erupted in the sky above glittering with dozens of beautiful colours.

1 Like

Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by oyestephen(m): 10:46am On Mar 08, 2013
Following.....impressive
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 12:11pm On Mar 08, 2013
@oyestephen... *winks*

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

The Corridor of Hell / For A Woman "Put To Bed" As Given Birth. How Correct Is It / Roses And Thorns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.