Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,572 members, 7,809,085 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:41 PM

Tithes And Offerings - Religion (132) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithes And Offerings (142431 Views)

"Stop Giving Offerings In Redeemed Churches If....." - Pastor Adeboye / Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles / Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) ... (141) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Nobody: 2:34pm On Dec 03, 2014
It seems olaaegbu has p.hd in religion pilfering. how many church dey use the money to buy food inside the church? then dey use the money to buy jet & food they will be eating inside the jet me.

3 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings by vooks: 2:41pm On Dec 03, 2014
See right. There just is no excuse for non-monetary tithing in the OT.God just never required of it.

I wish everyone was as honest as Image123 and admitted tithing is not mandatory, nor a requirement of any sort for Christians. His problem is the arguments he offers to prop a non-mandatory tithing are so bogus that it is insulting.

1. Jesus never taught tithing
2. Apostles never taught it nor is it taught anywhere in the NT
3. Tithing was first instituted hundreds of years after pentecost.

Tithing is as Christian as Christmas

Goshen360:

Your observation is truthfully right. They claim Israel was main or solely agrarian society then but right in their face, scriptures proved them wrong. Many occupations were mentioned in the law but none of them the law required them to tithe.

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by DJHayes: 5:50pm On Dec 03, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Did you read that it is commonly assumed that Salem was the original name of Jerusalem from the excerpt I posted? and that "there is no other record of such a city" at the time Abram met Melchisedek, either in archaeology or Scripture.

"In Salem also is his tabernacle, and his dwelling place in Zion" (Psalm 76:2).

Was the city of Jerusalem existing at the time Abraham gave his tithes to Melchisedec?

Here is a bible commentary throwing more light on Psalm 76:2

Sorry Sir, but Salem did exist. If it had not been in existence at that time, it would not have been mentioned. You have a serious problem when you rely on commentaries to be more authoritative than the inspired Word of God. God's Word says Salem existed. Your commentary says it did not. You'd do well to throw away your book of lies and stick to the Word of God.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:38pm On Dec 03, 2014
DJHayes:

Sorry Sir, but Salem did exist. If it had not been in existence at that time, it would not have been mentioned. You have a serious problem when you rely on commentaries to be more authoritative than the inspired Word of God. God's Word says Salem existed. Your commentary says it did not. You'd do well to throw away your book of lies and stick to the Word of God.

Salem means "peace"

"To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace" (Hebrew 7:2)

As is clearly written above, the name Melchisedec means "King of righteousness" and Salem means "peace". He is also identified as "priest of the most high God". There is no evidence of a city called Jerusalem at the time Abraham met with Melchisedec, the city was only formed years afterwards.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by MarkMiwerds(m): 6:51pm On Dec 03, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Did you read that it is commonly assumed that Salem was the original name of Jerusalem from the excerpt I posted? and that "there is no other record of such a city" at the time Abram met Melchisedek, either in archaeology or Scripture.

"In Salem also is his tabernacle, and his dwelling place in Zion" (Psalm 76:2).

Was the city of Jerusalem existing at the time Abraham gave his tithes to Melchisedec?

Here is a bible commentary throwing more light on Psalm 76:2

Your "commentary" is wrong. I notice that it is, once again, coming from ICR. Now, while Henry Morris was good at his explanation of creation and defending a young Earth, his interpretations of other passages were not flawless.

As is easily seen in his claim that Salem in Genesis 14 was not an earthly city, but a heavenly one and that Melchizedek was a Theophany.

I have to agree with DJ, throw that commentary away. It is not as reliable as the Word of God. When any commentary contradicts the Word of God, that commentary has proven itself worthless.

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by MarkMiwerds(m): 7:11pm On Dec 03, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Salem means "peace"

"To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace" (Hebrew 7:2)

As is clearly written above, the name Melchisedec means "King of righteousness" and Salem means "peace". He is also identified as "priest of the most high God". There is no evidence of a city called Jerusalem at the time Abraham met with Melchisedec, the city was only formed years afterwards.
Foolishness. Pure foolishness, Olaadegbu.

Adonizedek means "lord of righteousness" But Adonizedek was not righteous at all. Matter of fact, his unrighteous acts caused him to be hanged.

Just because a person has a name that has righteousness as a meaning does not necessitate that he was righteous.

Genesis 14:18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.
Genesis 14:19 And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth:
Genesis 14:20 And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.

Notice in verse 18, Moses wrote "and he was the Priest of the Most High God." Had it been a Theophany as Morris claimed in your quoted commentary paragraph, the verse would not have said "he was the Priest of the Most High God." It would have simply said 'He was the Most High God.'

He was the Priest of God, he was not God.

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Goshen360(m): 10:16pm On Dec 03, 2014
DJHayes:

I kept telling Olaadegbu our brother the same thing but he thinks I'm always insulting him. He makes idols out of these articles and commentaries. Ola can't reason or discuss simple scriptures without referring to one article or a commentary and what you expect, he's going to be a confused person in the end by copying from too many articles and commentaries. You just have asked him, how can one be a king of a place if such place don't exist? .... grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:22am On Dec 04, 2014
MarkMiwerds:

Your "commentary" is wrong. I notice that it is, once again, coming from ICR. Now, while Henry Morris was good at his explanation of creation and defending a young Earth, his interpretations of other passages were not flawless.

As is easily seen in his claim that Salem in Genesis 14 was not an earthly city, but a heavenly one and that Melchizedek was a Theophany.

I have to agree with DJ, throw that commentary away. It is not as reliable as the Word of God. When any commentary contradicts the Word of God, that commentary has proven itself worthless.

And who told you that your own commentary is to be followed? We know about Dr. Henry Morris, what is your own pedigree?
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:32am On Dec 04, 2014
MarkMiwerds:

Adonizedek means "lord of righteousness" But Adonizedek was not righteous at all. Matter of fact, his unrighteous acts caused him to be hanged.

Just because a person has a name that has righteousness as a meaning does not necessitate that he was righteous.

Genesis 14:18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.
Genesis 14:19 And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth:
Genesis 14:20 And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.

Notice in verse 18, Moses wrote "and he was the Priest of the Most High God." Had it been a Theophany as Morris claimed in your quoted commentary paragraph, the verse would not have said "he was the Priest of the Most High God." It would have simply said 'He was the Most High God.'

"For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God" (1 Corinthians 1:18.)
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:34am On Dec 04, 2014
MarkMiwerds:

"For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God" (1 Corinthians 1:18.)

I did not interpret Hebrews 7:2 the verse interpreted itself so you have no excuse. cool
Re: Tithes And Offerings by DJHayes: 1:48am On Dec 04, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

I did not interpret Hebrews 7:2 the verse interpreted itself so you have no excuse. cool
search as I might for my mother's grandparents genealogical records, I can't find them. No record of their birth, no record of their death, no record of who their parents were. Using your logic, I must come to the conclusion that they were A Theophany. Ha ha!

Oh, I forgot to mention... My mother's grandfather was a preacher.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:18am On Dec 04, 2014
DJHayes:

search as I might for my mother's grandparents genealogical records, I can't find them. No record of their birth, no record of their death, no record of who their parents were. Using your logic, I must come to the conclusion that they were A Theophany. Ha ha!

Since you are not sure of her beginning do you believe that she doesn't have one?
Re: Tithes And Offerings by DJHayes: 2:51am On Dec 04, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Since you are not sure of her beginning do you believe that she doesn't have one?
MELCHIZEDEK OBVIOUSLY HAD A BEGINNING, OR HE WOULD NOT HAVE EXIISTED.

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Goshen360(m): 4:50am On Dec 04, 2014
DJHayes:

Lemme help you confuse Olaadegbu the more:

King James Bible
Now consider how great this man (Melchizedec) was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils.
Hebrews 7:4

^

New Living Translation
For although the first woman came from man, every other man was born from a woman, and everything comes from God.
1 Corinthians 11:12

Maybe Melchizedek is not part of the every other man that is born of a woman but Jesus was..... grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by DJHayes: 5:03am On Dec 04, 2014
Goshen360:

King James Bible
Now consider how great this man (Melchizedec) was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils.

^

New Living Translation
For although the first woman came from man, every other man was born from a woman, and everything comes from God.

Maybe Melchizedek is not part of the every other man that is born of a woman but Jesus was..... grin grin grin
exactly! This man... What does Numbers 23:19 say about God? Oh, that's right... God is not a man that He should lie.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Image123(m): 4:24pm On Dec 04, 2014
chillykelly86:

The Master hath need of me. I freely gave my life to the Master. Me and my all belong to the Master now(100%, not just 10%; The question I pose here is:- If 10% belongs to God, who does 90% belong to? "Me"? And as a Christian, who does "me" belong to? It doesn't add up, does it?). That should be the position of every Christian. And so, whatever needs to be expended in doing the Masters work should and would be expended, be it time, money, societal standing or even my life. I give them willingly, without compulsion because I understand what it means that "I am not my own, I was bought at a price". However, I would not compel a fellow believer who has not come to that understanding to do so. The best I can do is to teach him/her with Scriptures until he/she has learned it and has become convinced of it. - (2 Timothy 2:13(NIV)...continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of ...).
So, please don't get me wrong, Christians should be givers, generous givers for that matter, in the footsteps of God(who gave His only begotten Son) and Christ(who gave His life) but their giving should never be out of compulsion, coercion, manipulation, etc. So, I wouldn't make mockery of Christ and/or trample underfoot God's principles in the name of enforcing "giving" or "salvation" or any other thing. They should be out of the individual's freewill. That freewill is important because that is the justification for judgement. "Responsibility for one's actions, thoughts and words".

God bless you.

We seem to be saying the same thing in different perspectives. You initially said Without your tithes, God's work with still go on. He will build His Church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. All He needs are ready men who have cleansed themselves of filth and been made ready for the Master's use. now you are saying that He has need of 100% and you have given him 100% or something like that. If you have given Him 100%, you should have no problem or discourage me or others from giving Him 10%. We are babies, allow us to grow until we can say we give Him 100% too. Talk is cheap, and we need to put our money where our mouth is, as it were. I give my tithes willingly, without compulsion because I understand what it means that "I am not my own, I was bought at a price". Is that allowed? Can i also continue in what i have learned and have become convinced of?
God bless you too.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Image123(m): 4:59pm On Dec 04, 2014
mynairatime:
It seems olaaegbu has p.hd in religion pilfering. how many church dey use the money to buy food inside the church? then dey use the money to buy jet & food they will be eating inside the jet me.

Things are not always what they seem. How many local churches do we have? How many of them buy private jets? How do you come to the conclusion of how money is spent inside jets? Are you seeming your way through? You should/ought to answer these questions honestly instead of hissing away or asking diversionary questions or attacking/insulting me or others.
DJHayes:
Where is the Biblical proof that Israel was an agrarian society? Or even largely agrairian? When the old Testament mentioned other job descriptions and those who fulfilled them, was it lying?

The problem I have with this whole tithe fiasco is the lack of evidence that Israel was solely, or mostly, agrarian. I have a problem with the claim that we should be tithing our money when there is absolutely no recorded instance in the Bible of anyone being told to do such.

The only way to arrive at a conclusion of a money tithe being necessary is to completely ignore the biblical text itself.

This is ridiculous, what do you mean by biblical proof BTW? It's like asking for biblical proof that there was an economy. Of course there was, and the Bible infers so, but i don't need the Bible to say so before i know. It is common sense and historical that the economies in the past were agrarian, until the industrial revolution. That was a turn of events when things started to look up as it were. It seems many of you do not know the meaning of the word "agrarian". An agrarian economy is simply dominated by or relating to farming or rural life. It is PRO-farming, of land: relating to land, especially its ownership and cultivation. It is like what we call rural areas or countryside today. You will easily find farmers and farms there as opposed to urbanized areas. Nobody says there were no other jobs. We say they were mainly agrarian, the society was largely agrarian. Most individual dealt more with cultivation, crops, food, livestock. It was common for wealth and work to be measured that way. It was usual for families and individuals to have farms and livestock, it wasn't strange. Rich men in Bible times were usually measures with their large barns, cattle and sheep. Unlike today where we use dollars and naira to measure wealth. Blessings and curses, laziness and hardwork were "hinged" around agriculture. Most of the promises were on baskets and storehouse and rain etc. Jesus Christ could easily look at anybody, a disciple, a pharisee, a scribe, a lawyer in His earthly existence, and talk about agricultural terms and parables. It wasn't out of place for Him to assume that these people had oxen and sheep. He talked about them tithing even of garden herbs. It wasn't absurd as those were the times they lived in.
Luk 14:3 And Jesus answering spake unto the lawyers and Pharisees, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath day?
Luk 14:5 And answered them, saying, Which of you shall have an ass or an ox fallen into a pit, and will not straightway pull him out on the sabbath day?
Luk 14:6 And they could not answer him again to these things.
Goshen360:

Your observation is truthfully right. They claim Israel was main or solely agrarian society then but right in their face, scriptures proved them wrong. Many occupations were mentioned in the law but none of them the law required them to tithe.

Is it the devourer that has devoured your common sense? MAINLY or LARGELY does not mean ONLY or SOLELY. Stop twisting people's words the same way you twist the Bible ignorantly. No one said there were no other occupations. What we have shown is that even other occupations tithed. That you had another occupation is no proof that you did not tithe. Jesus said SCRIBES tithed. The lawyers and Pharisees were assumed to have as.ses and ox in Luke 14. If they did, they probably tithed of it. To say that only farmers tithed is redundant, no scripture says so or prohibits otherwise. The omniscient Holy Spirit wrote 66 books and didn't speak against it or see it as dangerous. You are barking the wrong tree.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Nobody: 5:12pm On Dec 04, 2014
A reasonable person will not ask how many of them by jet. but ask how many of them buys food into house of God? if only one of them buys jet & no one of them buys food then jet is = 1 while food is less than 1. did u do math in ur p.hd program is a simple equetion
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Nobody: 5:20pm On Dec 04, 2014
If a cost of a jet is = 1 then the cost of food is less than which means it is more affordable to buy food into the house of God than to buy a jet but they didnt buy the food but mamy jets i dont how quantitative u are. can u understand me olaagbu
Re: Tithes And Offerings by MarkMiwerds(m): 7:37am On Dec 05, 2014
Pastors and those not pastors alike who will defend monetary tithe requirement teachers really should rethink their positions. Especially in light of Revelation 22:15.

Revelation 22:15 (KJV) 15 For without [are] dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

Those that make and love a lie, ("God requires you to tithe your money"; "God said if you tithe your money to the Church, He will open the floodgates of Heaven and bless you abundantly" ) are promised denial of entrance into God's eternal Kingdom.

Re: Tithes And Offerings by vooks: 8:27am On Dec 05, 2014
Image123,
I have tremendous respect for you. But you are wrong.
Look at some of Jesus parables. They are full of realism so that the hearers can relate to them. For this,we can learn about first century Palestine life. The noblemen employed servants to till their land. If a Lawyer or scribe or pharisee tithed, they tithed out of their farming vocation and nothing else. This is what we mean when we say only farmers tithed. The question then is, what about somebody with no farm produce/increase? What would they tithe? What would a full-time physician tithe? What about those guys who stayed at the market waiting for somebody to give them a job?

So a more intelligent question is, what has devoured the little that is left of your common sense that you can't see this?
Image123:

Is it the devourer that has devoured your common sense? MAINLY or LARGELY does not mean ONLY or SOLELY. Stop twisting people's words the same way you twist the Bible ignorantly. No one said there were no other occupations. What we have shown is that even other occupations tithed. That you had another occupation is no proof that you did not tithe. Jesus said SCRIBES tithed. The lawyers and Pharisees were assumed to have as.ses and ox in Luke 14. If they did, they probably tithed of it. To say that only farmers tithed is redundant, no scripture says so or prohibits otherwise. The omniscient Holy Spirit wrote 66 books and didn't speak against it or see it as dangerous. You are barking the wrong tree.

2 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:50am On Dec 05, 2014
DJHayes:

You are the one who has a problem believing the Word of God literally.

"Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like to the Son of God; abides a priest continually" (Hebrew 7:3).
Re: Tithes And Offerings by vooks: 8:54am On Dec 05, 2014
Jesus. Did he has a mother?
OLAADEGBU:

"Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like to the Son of God; abides a priest continually" (Hebrew 7:3).
Re: Tithes And Offerings by DJHayes: 8:58am On Dec 05, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

I have no problem understanding the Word of God at all.

Melchizedek could not have been a Theophany. "Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like to the Son of God; abides a priest continually" is referring to his having no genealogical record. "Made like unto the Son of God. He was not God in the flesh, but was made "like unto Him"

Could Melchizedek have been God the Father? Absolutely not! And the proof is in the very verse you posted! Notice the two words, "without descent" those two words prove he was not God. Without descent indicates no sons or daughters. Yet, Galatians 4:4; John 3:16; and a host of other verses reveal God had a Son.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:00am On Dec 05, 2014
Goshen360:

King James Bible

^

New Living Translation

Any sincere sensible reader would conclude that the peculiar description of Melchisedek given in Heb 7:3 will know that this was not just a failure to mention Melchi's pedigree but that the description perfectly fits God Himself appearing to Abraham in a theophany, unless you are claiming that Jesus existence only began when He was born through Mary.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Goshen360(m): 2:06pm On Dec 05, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Any sincere sensible reader would conclude that the peculiar description of Melchisedek given in Heb 7:3 will know that this was not just a failure to mention Melchi's pedigree but that the description perfectly fits God Himself appearing to Abraham in a theophany, unless you are claiming that Jesus existence only began when He was born through Mary.

Brother, you're making that verse that's as clear as day light to be too difficult and it doesn't add up with other scriptures. Now, lets test ^ what you wrote up there by simple analogy. If that verse is God Himself, let's put it in scripture and see how it reads:

King James Bible

For this Melchisedec GOD, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him;

To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace;

(This GOD....as in verse 1 above continued in description is....) Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like to the Son of God; abides a priest continually

Hebrew 7:1-3.

Compare the highlights in RED and ask yourself, was the verse comparing ONE person to another or TWO people?
2. Who are the TWO compared?
3. Was that verse comparing Melchizedek to Christ OR Christ to Melchizedek?

3 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Image123(m): 9:11pm On Dec 05, 2014
mynairatime:
A reasonable person will not ask how many of them by jet. but ask how many of them buys food into house of God? if only one of them buys jet & no one of them buys food then jet is = 1 while food is less than 1. did u do math in ur p.hd program is a simple equetion

Please, work on your grammar, its hard to read. You generalised when you stated that "how many church dey use the money to buy food inside the church? then dey use the money to buy jet & food they will be eating inside the jet ". That is why i had to ask for how many of them that buy jets. You couldn't answer that. Doctrine should be based on the Bible and the Holy Spirit, not on propaganda and an unreasonable one at that. Does your church buy food into the house of God? Do you think other churches don't buy food into the house of God? Why do you think so?

If a cost of a jet is = 1 then the cost of food is less than which means it is more affordable to buy food into the house of God than to buy a jet but they didnt buy the food but mamy jets i dont how quantitative u are. can u understand me olaagbu
How do you come about this assumption or scenario?
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Image123(m): 9:12pm On Dec 05, 2014
MarkMiwerds:
Pastors and those not pastors alike who will defend monetary tithe requirement teachers really should rethink their positions. Especially in light of Revelation 22:15.

Revelation 22:15 (KJV) 15 For without [are] dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

Those that make and love a lie, ("God requires you to tithe your money"; "God said if you tithe your money to the Church, He will open the floodgates of Heaven and bless you abundantly" ) are promised denial of entrance into God's eternal Kingdom.

There you go again in hypocrisy. Stop 'threatening' people not to tithe or teach tithe, especially when you have issues with others 'threatening' people to tithe. God is not going to stop anybody from entering His eternal kingdom because he tithed or preached tithes. It is not right to be manipulative in order to stop others from being manipulated by another others.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by MarkMiwerds(m): 11:16pm On Dec 05, 2014
Image123:

There you go again in hypocrisy. Stop 'threatening' people not to tithe or teach tithe, especially when you have issues with others 'threatening' people to tithe. God is not going to stop anybody from entering His eternal kingdom because he tithed or preached tithes. It is not right to be manipulative in order to stop others from being manipulated by another others.
Sorry, but the Word clearly says those that "maketh and loveth a lie" will be outside the city.

Your argument is not with me, it is with what the God clearly says.

Revelation 22:15 For without (outside) are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

One that lies consistently, (maketh a lie) saying God requires tithes of money, will be found outside.
One that embraces that lie (loveth a lie) that God requires tithes of money, will be found outside.

Believe what you will, but my God is not a liar. If He said those who love and make a lie will be outside the city, I believe Him.

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:34pm On Dec 05, 2014
Question: "Who was Melchizedek?"

Answer: Melchizedek, whose name means “king of righteousness,” was a king of Salem (Jerusalem) and priest of the Most High God (Genesis 14:18–20; Psalm 110:4; Hebrews 5:6–11; 6:20—7:28). Melchizedek’s sudden appearance and disappearance in the book of Genesis is somewhat mysterious. Melchizedek and Abraham first met after Abraham’s defeat of Chedorlaomer and his three allies. Melchizedek presented bread and wine to Abraham and his weary men, demonstrating friendship. He bestowed a blessing on Abraham in the name of El Elyon (“God Most High”) and praised God for giving Abraham a victory in battle (Genesis 14:18–20).

Abraham presented Melchizedek with a tithe (a tenth) of all the items he had gathered. By this act Abraham indicated that he recognized Melchizedek as a priest who ranked higher spiritually than he.

In Psalm 110, a messianic psalm written by David (Matthew 22:43), Melchizedek is presented as a type of Christ. This theme is repeated in the book of Hebrews, where both Melchizedek and Christ are considered kings of righteousness and peace. By citing Melchizedek and his unique priesthood as a type, the writer shows that Christ’s new priesthood is superior to the old levitical order and the priesthood of Aaron (Hebrews 7:1–10).

Some propose that Melchizedek was actually a pre-incarnate appearance of Jesus Christ, or a Christophany. This is a possible theory, given that Abraham had received such a visit before. Consider Genesis 17 where Abraham saw and spoke with the Lord (El Shaddai) in the form of a man.

Hebrews 6:20 says, “[Jesus] has become a high priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek.” This term order would ordinarily indicate a succession of priests holding the office. None are ever mentioned, however, in the long interval from Melchizedek to Christ, an anomaly that can be solved by assuming that Melchizedek and Christ are really the same person. Thus the “order” is eternally vested in Him and Him alone.

Hebrews 7:3 says that Melchizedek was “without father or mother, without genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, resembling the Son of God, he remains a priest forever.” The question is whether the author of Hebrews means this actually or figuratively.

If the description in Hebrews is literal, then it is indeed difficult to see how it could be properly applied to anyone but the Lord Jesus Christ. No mere earthly king “remains a priest forever,” and no mere human is “without father or mother.” If Genesis 14 describes a theophany, then God the Son came to give Abraham His blessing (Genesis 14:17–19), appearing as the King of Righteousness (Revelation 19:11,16), the King of Peace (Isaiah 9:6), and the Mediator between God and Man (1 Timothy 2:5).

If the description of Melchizedek is figurative, then the details of having no genealogy, no beginning or ending, and a ceaseless ministry are simply statements accentuating the mysterious nature of the person who met Abraham. In this case, the silence in the Genesis account concerning these details is purposeful and better serves to link Melchizedek with Christ.

Are Melchizedek and Jesus the same person? A case can be made either way. At the very least, Melchizedek is a type of Christ, prefiguring the Lord’s ministry. But it is also possible that Abraham, after his weary battle, met and gave honor to the Lord Jesus Himself.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/Melchizedek.html#ixzz3Kxtt1jSx

(1) (2) (3) ... (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) ... (141) (Reply)

Pastor Chris Oyakhilome's House And Jeeps (Picture) / Why I Left Christ Embassy Church / List Of Gods Born By A Virgin On 25th December

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.