Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,491 members, 7,808,814 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:16 PM

Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? (12225 Views)

How To Handle A Tyre Burst While Driving At Top Speed (Photos) / Trailer Loses Tyre While Driving On Lagos Road This Morning / When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by yuzedo: 1:05pm On Feb 23, 2013
Etumgbe: One day I was waiting for the traffic light to show green and I slept off only to wake up in lastma office
grin cheesy grin

LeJeun3: U go fear long distance na....... grin
I swear! Hahaha! grin
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by yakosteal: 1:08pm On Feb 23, 2013
It happened while I was driving to Abuja from kaduna.spent the night packing and made the mistake of having a heavy breakfast.dozed off twice and did some small zigzaghing on d road before i woke up. thank God it was one way and a Sunday where traffic was light
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by Les: 1:19pm On Feb 23, 2013
Confusion:
truly i for no like am somehow because i like the fact that she spends time praying for the rest of the family
greedy dude grin grin but seriously, i wonder if my one and only sis could be like dat Just be carefull next time, as for me, long distance journey na no-do tin for me o....
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by xerxes456(m): 2:49pm On Feb 23, 2013
hakuna matata: i dont sleep wwhile driving. I rather drive in my sleep! cheesy
yes we saw it before... happeNed to my one cool Sunday on my way home almost knocked a pedestrian crossing the road...
it's not easy especially when U go long distance... i play music n dance, while chewing gum... n it 've .bn helpfull...

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by nenepea(f): 3:20pm On Feb 23, 2013
uote author=mosho2good]I rememebr wen I was driving and fall asleep and d car drive himself all d way home to my place can u believe it[/quote]Mtcheeeeeeew! I beg park well...for your dream tongue
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by xcitedjay(m): 5:54pm On Feb 23, 2013
The few times I felt like sleeping behind the wheels, I usually just jack up the speed from like 120km/hr to about 160km/hr. The increase in speed allows for adrenalin rush, increasing blood flow to the brain. That's enough to keep you awake.

It's never safe to park on a lonely high way.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by keletex2000(m): 7:50pm On Feb 23, 2013
..., Ok, after a tragic night at the hospital that resulted in the death of my one year old lil' sister. Mom and Dad had to leave for the village same morning to bury her. On their way back,dad slept off at wheel and hit another car. Mom,who was also asleep ,shattered the windscreen with her forehead. From there straight to the hospital where she had some stitches. I thank God for their lives.o. That was August 19, 1995.

My own personal experience was some 2 years ago on my way home from portharcouirt to owerri. My only sister was in the passenger seat,sleeping. It was like I slept off for a second and the car drifted off lane. It was the uneven,rough surface just off the road that bumped us back to consciousness. My sis. Didn't know wat had happened. I thank God there wasn't any oncoming vehicle. I never told any of my family members ,not even my sis. I have learnt my lesson- sufficient sleep before any long journeys.o

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by cigie(m): 8:15pm On Feb 23, 2013
I don't think I've ever slept off while on wheels but something happened while I was in a Lagos traffic. I had spent so much time in the traffic and then when other cars from left and right started moving, it seemed to me like my own car was rolling backward. I was very nervous...I just kept pumping the breaks but it still seemed like the car was still rolling, even faster this time. I realized myself after sometime..my friend just kept looking at me. I hardly could explain what had happened because its sounded so absurd.
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by obongtunji: 10:23pm On Feb 23, 2013
It has happened to me before, it is GOD that has been helping me.....lop
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by saaedlee: 10:26pm On Feb 23, 2013
yuzedo:
grin cheesy grin

I swear! Hahaha! grin

Na ma first driving na, why are you guys laughing?
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by chidyke77(m): 11:51am On Feb 24, 2013
playing music while driving is good bt dnt play cool musics,blues, cool rnb and d likes is bad for long travel.
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by Nobody: 12:49pm On Feb 24, 2013
God forbid. Almost but didnt.

Transporters are fond of overworking to earn more but its risky.

Even one hour afternoon sleep can prevent sleeping off on wheels.
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by Nobody: 1:03pm On Feb 24, 2013
tellwsdom:

Bros, if you get A.C for your house, 4HOURS sleep would be enuff for you....5HRS go even too much for you undecided undecided

You get Car, you no get A.C for house...Are you a driver?? sad

Some people's body system require at least 7hrs sleep every 24hrs and that is the health standard.

If you sleep less than your body requires, it will react. What do you mean about A.C., is that a sign of wealth or comfort?
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Feb 24, 2013
Adikam: it happend 2 me last yr i slept off wen i was coming back 4rm my friend's wedding in imo state and was driving to Anambra bt wat is complicating me is dat i find myself in my haus layin my head in de sterin wen i woke up in the morning.bt i tank god 4 my life shaa because he only knos hw it hapend

This a very big miracle indeed. Thank God.
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by Ikenna351(m): 1:30pm On Feb 24, 2013
Whenever am embarking on a journey or long distance driving, I would slot in my 2pac's MP3 and thats it. Sometimes i would slot in the Deathrow record jams of the '90s (sorry, i dont do Nigerian music). But my favourite is Pac. Love listening to his prophesies when am driving, especially for such long hours of driving. His lyrics keeps me active.

Ever slept off? No. But have felt sleepy twice, along Abuja - Enugu expressway (but thanks to manual transmission). Manual tranny always keep all parts of my body active: two legs and both hands. Its ideal to park and take a nap before continuing on the journey if one is feeling sleepy, but only if you are in a safe zone. You cant just park anywhere, considereing how safe our highways are, in the middle of nowhere. In such situation, shifting the stick up and down, moving your two hands to steer the wheel and change the gears freqently, and calculating with the engine sound to know when to change the gear to a higher one, kind of keeps me active and before i know it, the sleepy feeling or fatigue would be gone. Or at least, it will help you get to a safe place where you can park and sleep as long as you want.

I know some of you would blame one for not sleeping enough the previous night before starting a journey. But there are situations you may find yourself sleeping late and you still need to make that journey the next morning. Those that do frequent long distance driving would understand. Even when you work tirelessly the previous day and went to bed early, you will still experience fatigue few hours into the journey the next day.

If you are the type that love cool musics, make sure you take those cds far away from the drivers seat. Dont even think of playing any. Because that cool music you love could land you in mortuary. I remembered in one of my drive from Abuja to Enugu, someone joined me in that journey. Shortly after Ajaokuta, he said he didnt like the music i was playing that he wanted to listen to something else. He put in my lucky Dube that i play only when driving in the city. Few mins later, sleep came from nowhere. By the time i looked at him to tell him to remove the lucky Dube, he had dozed off. I quickly removed and threw the cd at the back seat and put back what i was listening to before. Since that day, i made up my mind, as long as am the one on the steering wheel, i decide the music to be played. Hate me if you like. My car, my rules. I wont again put my life in danger just to impress a Passenger, no matter how close or how much i care about the person or the passenger.

One more thing, if you are driving on a highway and your passenger in front seat starts sleeping, even if the passenger is your wife, ask her to move to the rear seats. Its better you guys fight when you get to your destination over that, than both of you ending up in a Hospital or Mortuary. Its your call.

Ikenna.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by yungboss(m): 2:14pm On Feb 24, 2013
Ikenna351: Whenever am embarking on a journey or long distance driving, I would slot in my 2pac's MP3 and thats it. Sometimes i would slot in the Deathrow record jams of the '90s (sorry, i dont do Nigerian music). But my favourite is Pac. Love listening to his prophesies when am driving, especially for such long hours of driving. His lyrics keeps me active.

Ever slept off? No. But have felt sleepy twice, along Abuja - Enugu expressway (but thanks to manual transmission). Manual tranny always keep all parts of my body active: two legs and both hands. Its ideal to park and take a nap before continuing on the journey if one is feeling sleepy, but only if you are in a safe zone. You cant just park anywhere, considereing how safe our highways are, in the middle of nowhere. In such situation, shifting the stick up and down, moving your two hands to steer the wheel and change the gears freqently, and calculating with the engine sound to know when to change the gear to a higher one, kind of keeps me active and before i know it, the sleepy feeling or fatigue would be gone. Or at least, it will help you get to a safe place where you can park and sleep as long as you want.

I know some of you would blame one for not sleeping enough the previous night before starting a journey. But there are situations you may find yourself sleeping late and you still need to make that journey the next morning. Those that do frequent long distance driving would understand. Even when you work tirelessly the previous day and went to bed early, you will still experience fatigue few hours into the journey the next day.

If you are the type that love cool musics, make sure you take those cds far away from the drivers seat. Dont even think of playing any. Because that cool music you love could land you in mortuary. I remembered in one of my drive from Abuja to Enugu, someone joined me in that journey. Shortly after Ajaokuta, he said he didnt like the music i was playing that he wanted to listen to something else. He put in my lucky Dube that i play only when driving in the city. Few mins later, sleep came from nowhere. By the time i looked at him to tell him to remove the lucky Dube, he had dozed off. I quickly removed and threw the cd at the back seat and put back what i was listening to before. Since that day, i made up my mind, as long as am the one on the steering wheel, i decide the music to be played. Hate me if you like. My car, my rules. I wont again put my life in danger just to impress a Passenger, no matter how close or how much i care about the person or the passenger.

One more thing, if you are driving on a highway and your passenger starts sleeping, even if the passenger is your wife, ask her to relocate to the rear seats. Its better you guys fight when you get to your destination over that, than both of you ending up in the Hospital or Mortuary. Its your call.

Ikenna.
tupac and deathrow artists were my best music affiliations tupac's "if my homies call" gives me nostalgia...
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by baysol: 3:43pm On Feb 24, 2013
Yes. Only woke up after the wind blast from a 5ton truck not once not twice. I guise it was not my time GOD IS FAITHFUL ALWAYS.
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by dgitrader(m): 5:01pm On Feb 24, 2013
Ikenna351: Whenever am embarking on a journey or long distance driving, I would slot in my 2pac's MP3 and thats it. Sometimes i would slot in the Deathrow record jams of the '90s (sorry, i dont do Nigerian music). But my favourite is Pac. Love listening to his prophesies when am driving, especially for such long hours of driving. His lyrics keeps me active.

well said!
driving an automatic cars while too tired on long distance highways is the most reason! and believe or not not, its very prevailent. only the lucky ones live to share experience. thank God for potholes attimes.

One more thing, if you are driving on a highway and your passenger starts sleeping, even if the passenger is your wife, ask her to relocate to the rear seats. Its better you guys fight when you get to your destination over that, than both of you ending up in the Hospital or Mortuary. Its your call.

Ikenna.
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by dgitrader(m): 5:04pm On Feb 24, 2013
ikenna ^^^
well said! driving an automatic car while too tired on long distance highways is the most reason! and believe or not not, its very prevailent. only the lucky ones live to share experience. thank God for potholes attimes.
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by redsun(m): 6:00pm On Feb 24, 2013
It is like asking "have you ever tried to commit murder-suicide"?.Nothing must ever make you sleep on the wheel.You must stop immediately you feel sleepy and sleep it off.If you are not in the position to,maybe you are on nigerian deadly highways at night and you cant afford to stop,reduce your speed and get pleny of fresh air.

But adrenaline that one gets driving on nigerian death trap roads should be enough to keep him/her awake driving for 24 hours.
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by LeJeun3: 6:17pm On Feb 24, 2013
saaed_lee:

Na ma first driving na, why are you guys laughing?
No vex....the thought was so ticklish. Give me a call, I'll drive you. wink
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by plendil: 9:17pm On Feb 24, 2013

lol, tell them.
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by komek(m): 9:22pm On Feb 24, 2013
gwas: I keep telling people that speeding is not the main course of accident, but driving absent-minded. Just imagine the number of people that sleep off while under a steering? This is deadly risky!
Nevertheless, whenever I find myself having such feeling, I park the car and sleep wherever.
Still better than taking that dangerous risk.

Even on 3rd mainland bridge? I no u can't sleep on it sha. Give us another solution.
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by plendil: 9:30pm On Feb 24, 2013
cigie: I don't think I've ever slept off while on wheels but something happened while I was in a Lagos traffic. I had spent so much time in the traffic and then when other cars from left and right started moving, it seemed to me like my own car was rolling backward. I was very nervous...I just kept pumping the breaks but it still seemed like the car was still rolling, even faster this time. I realized myself after sometime..my friend just kept looking at me. I hardly could explain what had happened because its sounded so absurd.

LOL! I know exactly what you're talking about. ITs what physicists call theory of relativity. It usually happens when you have two tall buses on both sides of the vehicle.

As the buses starts moving forward, it gives the impression you are moving backwards, even though you're actually stationary. normally the brain should be able to correct if one is fully alert and can see the front of the car; but I suspect in your case you were probably a little drowsy. . . grin

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by Nobody: 2:43am On Feb 27, 2013
plendil: All those people advocating ''parking the car and taking a quick nap'', what if you find yourself in a lonely highway? or dangerous spot?

IF I ever have to go on a long journey, I ensure I have enough rest. If it was a night program, eg vigil service, wake keep, why not sleep at the venue then when you can hit the road the following morining, rather than endanger the lifes of others on the road.

There is a higher chance that nothing will happen to you on a lonely spot than the chances of surviving a crash

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by seyibrown(f): 1:24pm On Mar 02, 2013
I was jolted by the sound of a loud scratching on my passenger side mirror being taken off by a truck! The driver must have been furious as he was honking loudly! My heart was in my mouth! I had hardly slept in 3 days due to long distance travel and preparation for a court hearing that has concluded that day. Got home an hour later, parked the car and went to bed. Next day, my neighbour asks 'what happened to your car?' The passenger side door was a complete write-off! I hadn't realised the extent to which I had been in danger until I went round the passenger side when my neighbour alerted me.

When travelling long-distance now, I leave for my destination at least two hours early so I can park and sleep on the way!
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by DisGuy: 1:37pm On Mar 02, 2013
seyibrown: I was jolted by the sound of a loud scratching on my passenger side mirror being taken off by a truck! The driver must have been furious as he was honking loudly! My heart was in my mouth! I had hardly slept in 3 days due to long distance travel and preparation for a court hearing that has concluded that day. Got home an hour later, parked the car and went to bed. Next day, my neighbour asks 'what happened to your car?' The passenger side door was a complete write-off! I hadn't realised the extent to which I had been in danger until I went round the passenger side when my neighbour alerted me.

When travelling long-distance now, I leave for my destination at least two hours early so I can park and sleep on the way!

why dont you just sleep properly before setting off? quite odd you actually plan to park and sleep

parking to have a stretch at service works better
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by auhanson(m): 9:58pm On Mar 03, 2013
tellwsdom:

Don't underestimate the power of A.C broda...Im only recommending it to that man who wakes up early to work with all his bones eaten up by hot environs....If he collapse ontop em backseat sef, i no go blame am sad sad

Can AC work in a country of partial power supply/ blackout at night? Then be ready to burn off your money in the name of powering noisy gen TDB, and offending your neighbours for your inconvenience luxury
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by pallaspa(m): 4:40pm On Mar 05, 2013
I had an accident from this same cause exactly one week after the first post
The moment i dozed was when i approached a bend and the sound of the car enter a gutter was what woke me
By then my airbags was off and the damage done
Thank God i am alive to narrate this
When you feel tired, sleepy or too high, park and take a nap
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by tricosite(m): 5:19pm On Mar 09, 2013
Yes, I remember when I was President of Mass Communication Dept. We have departmental bus, most time I will not sleep so early morning when am driving am sleeping too I use to take note of the incident, but now am free from stress.
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by Lusola15: 10:15pm On Mar 09, 2013
Yes. On my way from abuja to lagos. After akure. Just for 2 or 3 seconds. Lucky me rite

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lexus 2013 Concept Vehicles - The Lexus LF-CC & LF-LC / Lagos Exempts Petrol Tankers, Trucks From Daytime Restriction / Your Top 5 Most Annoying Experiences With Other Road Users

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.