Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,442 members, 7,808,578 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:41 PM

The Igbo Calendar And Its Influences On Igbo People - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Igbo Calendar And Its Influences On Igbo People (10951 Views)

Interesting Facts About The Igbo People / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe / Marriage between Yoruba And Igbo people On The Rise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Igbo Calendar And Its Influences On Igbo People by EzePromoe: 7:14pm On Feb 09, 2013
The Igbo calendar (Igbo: Ògụ́àfọ̀ Ịgbò ) is the traditional calendar system of the Igbo people which has 13 months in a year, 7 weeks in a month, and 4 days in a week plus an extra day at the end of the year. The calendar has its roots steeped in ritualism and symbolism; many parts of the Igbo calendar are named or dedicated to certain spirits ( Igbo: Mmuo) and deities ( Igbo: Alusi) in the Igbo mythology. Some of the spirits and deities were believed to have given the Igbo people knowledge of time. The days, also known as market day, also correspond to the four cardinal points, north, south, east, west. Although worship and spirit honoring was a very big part in the creation and development of the Igbo calendar system, commerce also played a major role in creating the Igbo calendar. This was emphasized in Igbo mythology itself. An example of this is the Igbo market days of which each community has a day assigned to open its markets, this way the Igbo calendar is still in use. The Nri- Igbo yearly counting festival known as Igu Aro marked March 10, 2012 as the beginning of the 1013th year of the Nri calendar. System In the traditional Igbo calendar a week ( Igbo: Izu) has 4 days ( Igbo: Ubochi) (Eke, Orie, Afọ, Nkwọ), seven weeks make one month ( Igbo: Ọnwa), a month has 28 days and there are 13 months a year. In the last month, an extra day is added. The traditional time keepers in Igboland are the priests or Dibia.

Months of the year (Ọnwa Iguaro)

1 Ọnwa Mbụ
2 Ọnwa Abụo
3 Ọnwa Ife Eke
4 Ọnwa Anọ
5 Ọnwa Agwụ
6 Ọnwa Ifejiọ
7 Ọnwa Alọm Chi
8 Ọnwa Ilo Mmụọ
9 Ọnwa Ana
10 Ọnwa Okike
11 Ọnwa Ajana
12 Ọnwa Ede Ajana
13 Ọnwa Ụzọ Alụsị

The names of the day's have their roots in the mythology of the Kingdom of Nri . Eri, the sky- descended founder of the Nri kingdom, had gone on to break the mystery of time and on his journey he had saluted and counted the four days by the names of the spirits that governed them, hence the names of the spirits eke, orie, afọ and nkwọ became those of the days of the week. The days also correspond to the four cardinal points, Afọ corresponds to north, Nkwọ to south, eke to east, and orie to west. These spirits, who were fishmongers, were sent down by Chukwu (Great God) in order to establish markets throughout Igboland which they did by selling fish.

Naming after dates

Newborn babies are sometimes named after the day they were born on, though this is no longer commonly used. Names such as Mgbeke ( maiden [born] on the day of Eke), Mgborie (maiden [born] on the Orie day) and so on were common among the Igbo people. For males Mgbo is replaced by Oko ( Igbo: Male child [of]) or Nwa ( Igbo: Child [of]). An example of this is Nwankwo Kanu , a popular footballer.

Months and meanings

The following months are in reference to the Nri- Igbo calendar of the Nri kingdom which may differ from other Igbo calendars in terms of naming, rituals, and ceremonies surrounding the months.

Ọnwa Mbụ
The first month starts from the third week of February making it the Igbo new year. The Nri- Igbo calendar year corresponding to the Gregorian year of 2012 was initially slated to begin with the annual year- counting festival known as Igu Aro on February 18 (an Nkwọ day on the third week of February), but was postponed to March 10 due to local government elections in Anambra State where the Nri kingdom is located. The Igu Aro festival which was held in March marked the lunar year as the 1013th recorded year of the Nri calendar.

Ọnwa Abụo
This month is dedicated to cleaning and farming.

Ọnwa Ife Eke
Is described as the hunger period.

Ọnwa Anọ
Ọnwa Anọ is when the planting of seed yams start.

Ọnwa Agwụ
Ịgọchi na mmanwụ come out in this month which are adult masquerades. Ọnwa Agwu is the traditional start of the year.The Alusi Agwu, of which the month is named after is venerated by the Dibia (priests), of which Agwu is specifically worshiped by, in this month.

Ọnwa Ifejiọkụ
This month is dedicated to the yam deity ifejioku and Njoku Ji and yam rituals are performed in this month for the New Yam Festival.

Ọnwa Alọm Chi
This month sees the harvesting of the yam.

Ọnwa Ilo Mmụọ
A festival called Önwa Asatọ ( Igbo: Eighth Month) is held in this month.

Ọnwa Ana
Ana (or Ala) is the Igbo earth goddess and rituals for this deity commence in this month, hence it is named after her.

Ọnwa Okike Okike ritual takes place in this month.

Ọnwa Ajana
Okike ritual also takes place in Ọnwa Ajana.

Ọnwa Ede Ajana
Ritual Ends

Ọnwa Ụzọ Alụsị
The last month sees the offering to the Alusi.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Igbo Calendar And Its Influences On Igbo People by EzePromoe: 7:28pm On Feb 09, 2013
Ndigbo, what I'm saying is that we should not let our culture die completely. February 18 is just like a normal day today in many places in Igboland today, but the truth is that Feb. 18 is where the Igbo new year starts. Let's set a standard and celebrate our culture come Feb. 18 as our 'aro ohuu'

5 Likes

Re: The Igbo Calendar And Its Influences On Igbo People by odumchi: 2:34am On Feb 10, 2013
Eze Promoe: Ndigbo, what I'm saying is that we should not let our culture die completely. February 18 is just like a normal day today in many places in Igboland today, but the truth is that Feb. 18 is where the Igbo new year starts. Let's set a standard and celebrate our culture come Feb. 18 as our 'aro ohuu'

I like the initiative and the idea behind this, but then again, there really isn't a universal Igbo calendar.

2 Likes

Re: The Igbo Calendar And Its Influences On Igbo People by EzePromoe: 8:18am On Feb 10, 2013
^I bet you it is. Now tell me does the Nkwo, Eke, Orie, Afor market days have influence on all Igbos or not?
Re: The Igbo Calendar And Its Influences On Igbo People by ifyalways(f): 12:27pm On Feb 10, 2013
Too tiny,too bright a color.

Sorry,but my old eyes could not read this.
Re: The Igbo Calendar And Its Influences On Igbo People by ChinenyeN(m): 4:29pm On Feb 10, 2013
Eze Promoe: ^I bet you it is. Now tell me does the Nkwo, Eke, Orie, Afor market days have influence on all Igbos or not?
Days and Calendar aren't the same thing. Nice write up anyway.

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Calendar And Its Influences On Igbo People by Rgp92: 7:49pm On Feb 10, 2013
Please dont use Red to write again. It is very dangerous for the human eye.
Re: The Igbo Calendar And Its Influences On Igbo People by odumchi: 10:09pm On Feb 10, 2013
Eze Promoe: ^I bet you it is. Now tell me does the Nkwo, Eke, Orie, Afor market days have influence on all Igbos or not?

It's true that we all have various versions of the four market days, but that doesn't mean that our calendars are the same. The calendar observed in Afikpo isn't the same as that observed in Nkpor; Feb 18 might be the start of the Nri calendar, whereas in Afikpo it might just be an ordinary day.
Re: The Igbo Calendar And Its Influences On Igbo People by EzePromoe: 10:29pm On Feb 10, 2013
ChinenyeN:
Days and Calendar aren't the same thing. Nice write up anyway.
Thanks but you and I know that this is the most accepted data used to calculate days in time past.

odumchi:

It's true that we all have various versions of the four market days, but that doesn't mean that our calendars are the same. The calendar observed in Afikpo isn't the same as that observed in Nkpor; Feb 18 might be the start of the Nri calendar, whereas in Afikpo it might just be an ordinary day.
I won't like to argue further, so that we don't go into Nri/Aro debate. But you shouldn't be ignorant of the fact that this is the accepted fact generally and even international. This is also regarded as the most accurate calendar.
Re: The Igbo Calendar And Its Influences On Igbo People by EzePromoe: 10:35pm On Feb 10, 2013
Rgp92: Please dont use Red to write again. It is very dangerous for the human eye.
EDITED! smiley
Re: The Igbo Calendar And Its Influences On Igbo People by odumchi: 10:39pm On Feb 10, 2013
Eze Promoe:
I won't like to argue further, so that we don't go into Nri/Aro debate. But you shouldn't be ignorant of the fact that this is the accepted fact generally and even international. This is also regarded as the most accurate calendar.

Nwoke m, it's not about Nri vs Aro. What I'm trying to say is that the Igbo do not have synchronized calendars. For the most part, only nearby communities share the same calendars. Today can be Oye day in Nnewi, whereas in Igirita it can be Awho.

I ghotala ihe m na-ekwu?
Re: The Igbo Calendar And Its Influences On Igbo People by NRIPRIEST(m): 12:09am On Feb 12, 2013
odumchi:

Nwoke m, it's not about Nri vs Aro. What I'm trying to say is that the Igbo do not have synchronized calendars. For the most part, only nearby communities share the same calendars. Today can be Oye day in Nnewi, whereas in Igirita it can be Awho.

I ghotala ihe m na-ekwu?

Yea,we dont have a synchronized calenders but the days,weeks and months are all the same.
Re: The Igbo Calendar And Its Influences On Igbo People by ChinenyeN(m): 3:06am On Feb 12, 2013
NRI PRIEST: Yea,we dont have a synchronized calenders but the days, weeks and months are all the same.
To say that the days, weeks and months are all the same is to say that a synchronized calendar exists.
Re: The Igbo Calendar And Its Influences On Igbo People by Abagworo(m): 7:53am On Feb 12, 2013
ChinenyeN:
To say that the days, weeks and months are all the same is to say that a synchronized calendar exists.

But why don't Ohaneze synchronize it? It isn't a bad idea to have a universal Igbo calendar. I understand that almost every Igbo and many other ethnic groups use the "Nri" calendar
Re: The Igbo Calendar And Its Influences On Igbo People by ChinenyeN(m): 10:01am On Feb 12, 2013
Abagworo: But why don't Ohaneze synchronize it? It isn't a bad idea to have a universal Igbo calendar. I understand that almost every Igbo and many other ethnic groups use the "Nri" calendar
Ohaneze isn't really in a position to synchronize or otherwise attempt to universalize an Igbo calendar of any sort. Concerning the bolded, I doubt that, since the entire south, east and northeast Igbo regions don't participate in the Nri "Igu Aro".
Re: The Igbo Calendar And Its Influences On Igbo People by Abagworo(m): 10:29am On Feb 12, 2013
ChinenyeN:
Ohaneze isn't really in a position to synchronize or otherwise attempt to universalize an Igbo calendar of any sort. Concerning the bolded, I doubt that, since the entire south, east and northeast Igbo regions don't participate in the Nri "Igu Aro".

You are right but a harmonization can be achieved through Ohaneze where all Igbo groups have representation. What will make it unsuccessful is if any group like Nri, Aro etc try to claim non-existent lordship over other Igbos. If Igbos can adopt Owu, Ekpe and Benin styled Kingship, why can't we all harmonize the Nri calendar?

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Calendar And Its Influences On Igbo People by ChinenyeN(m): 7:32pm On Feb 12, 2013
Abagworo, the various traditional calendars are more than just counting of the days, weeks, months and years. The traditional calendars incorporate heavy socio-religious contexts and undertones.

The Nri calendar, for example, (Igu Aro) is based on the socio-religious rites and privileges that are centered around the Nri community. In particular, it highlights and reinforces the socio-religious authority of Eze Nri over those communities that participate in Igu Aro. You mentioned that what will make harmonization unsuccessful is if any group like Nri, Aro etc. try to claim non-existent lordship over other Igbo. Well, I would say that by getting groups to "harmonize [with] the Nri calendar" you are essentially moving that idea of Nri lordship from non-existent to reality, because you are encouraging other Igbo to adopt Nri religious philosophy and recognize Nri authority in their community.

Unless, of course, you've got a way to manage this.

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Calendar And Its Influences On Igbo People by Afam4eva(m): 7:38pm On Feb 12, 2013
The Igbo culture will continue to die because we're in a country where there are various ways of doing things and because of that we adopt the foreign way and ignore our local culture. It's only when there is an Igbo only culture that these things can be incorporated. For instance, China still recognizing the Chinese new year.

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Calendar And Its Influences On Igbo People by Abagworo(m): 11:21pm On Feb 12, 2013
ChinenyeN: Abagworo, the various traditional calendars are more than just counting of the days, weeks, months and years. The traditional calendars incorporate heavy socio-religious contexts and undertones.

The Nri calendar, for example, (Igu Aro) is based on the socio-religious rites and privileges that are centered around the Nri community. In particular, it highlights and reinforces the socio-religious authority of Eze Nri over those communities that participate in Igu Aro. You mentioned that what will make harmonization unsuccessful is if any group like Nri, Aro etc. try to claim non-existent lordship over other Igbo. Well, I would say that by getting groups to "harmonize [with] the Nri calendar" you are essentially moving that idea of Nri lordship from non-existent to reality, because you are encouraging other Igbo to adopt Nri religious philosophy and recognize Nri authority in their community.

Unless, of course, you've got a way to manage this.

I was merely making a suggestion. We don't have to do the "Igu aro" with Nri, but we can make the Igbo calendar a recognized one by harmonizing it. For example the "ikpirikpi ogu" has grown to become a symbol of Igbo culture while it is barely practiced in Northeastern Abia State alone.
Re: The Igbo Calendar And Its Influences On Igbo People by odumchi: 4:52am On Feb 14, 2013
NRI PRIEST:

Yea,we dont have a synchronized calenders but the days,weeks and months are all the same.

I'd say the only thing that's really "the same" is the concept of four market days (Eke, Orie/Oye, Afo/Avo/Awho, Nkwo). Aside from this, everything varies from region-to-region.

Abagworo:

I was merely making a suggestion. We don't have to do the "Igu aro" with Nri, but we can make the Igbo calendar a recognized one by harmonizing it. For example the "ikpirikpi ogu" has grown to become a symbol of Igbo culture while it is barely practiced in Northeastern Abia State alone.

Ikpirikpi Ogu is still taken seriously oo.
Re: The Igbo Calendar And Its Influences On Igbo People by ChinenyeN(m): 11:50pm On Feb 18, 2013
Abagworo: I was merely making a suggestion. We don't have to do the "Igu aro" with Nri, but we can make the Igbo calendar a recognized one by harmonizing it. For example the "ikpirikpi ogu" has grown to become a symbol of Igbo culture while it is barely practiced in Northeastern Abia State alone.
I understand what you mean; the creation of a "recognized" and "standard" calendar, incorporating different cultural themes from various regions, which have grown to become "iconic" and nearly synonymous with Igbo society.
Re: The Igbo Calendar And Its Influences On Igbo People by tonychristopher: 9:07am On Feb 19, 2013
what of ika people do they have this
Re: The Igbo Calendar And Its Influences On Igbo People by Antivirus92(m): 7:46pm On Feb 19, 2013
Arguement of confused people. Desperate,very desperate people. Trying very hard in any given chance to show division between people who are supposed to be one. You're not from nri but you use nri market days. When and who lend you those market days?

(1) (Reply)

How Many Greek Legends Were Really True / Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? / What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.