Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,313 members, 7,808,057 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:12 AM

BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now (1491 Views)

Jonathan Must Be Regretting Corruption Revelations – Agunbiade / Jonathan Must Be Regretting Nigerias Misrule / The Amaechi I Know Must Be Regretting Joining APC Now –nyesom Wike, Ex-minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now by maasoap(m): 11:13pm On Feb 10, 2013
I even learnt that they were only negotiating on behalf of FG. Individuals are pocketing billions of naira yet, 950million naira was too much for 170million people. May be after this, we'll pay the same amount as Ghana next time.
Re: BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now by seunfly: 12:30am On Feb 11, 2013
I don't think you know what u are saying at all, may be u should go out and recieve fresh air so that u can think well.
For the fact that our leaders are stealing our money does not justify adding wastage to over streched resources. We can't afford to dash money to caf when we know the amont others paid.
So my guy i think CAF must be regreting their decision and BON must be happy now cos we still watch the competition and that ur so call 950million can do something gud (school, hospital, water, fertilizer or others) in ur own village.

3 Likes

Re: BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now by takedat(m): 12:32am On Feb 11, 2013
Funny though! They had good reasons for not agreeing to the deal but fate proved them wrong. DSTV must have racked much through the viewing centers and household subscriptions. Hope next time they would get their act together!
Re: BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now by warrior01: 12:45am On Feb 11, 2013
we lost nothing. Afterall, NTA showed it live when it mattered most. peace bro, rather you lost!!!!!!
Re: BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now by Basic(m): 3:08am On Feb 11, 2013
BON has nothing to regret over. Whether BON paid the fee or not, most people would still have watched DSTV rather than local stations.
BON's insistence not to pay the money is a good way of telling the TV right sellers that they should never try to take undue advantages of Nigeria.
Re: BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now by teskyg: 6:43am On Feb 11, 2013
@ Poster,it is people like you that don't want change in this country.Good job BON.
Re: BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now by maasoap(m): 7:45am On Feb 11, 2013
@seunfly
But the truth is that my so called 950million naira will not be spent on on hospitals, schools, roads, etc. It will end up in individual pockets. Once again, may be in the next edition CAF will ask you to pay the same amount as Ghana with less than Lagos state population because we refused to pay this time around. Rubbish.
Re: BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now by maasoap(m): 7:57am On Feb 11, 2013
@Seunfly
The truth is that my so called 950million naira will not be spent on hospitals, schools, roads as you would have wanted. It will end up in individual pockets that are already "salivating". The truth is that no business organisation will collect the same amount from from Ghana, Nigeria and USA for broadcasting right. Next edition, let's wait and see if we're going to get it by paying the same amount with countries that have small population.
Re: BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now by maasoap(m): 8:07am On Feb 11, 2013
I even learnt that there was a breach of agreement back in 2004 AFCON and that the case is still in supreme court. That Nigeria doesn't stick to business ethics. Who lost in this? The average Nigerian that had to stand by road sides for 2 hours just because it was not broadcast on local channels. Many people couldn't get a space in viewing centers even when they were ready to pay 100 naira.
Re: BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now by hardywaltz(m): 8:29am On Feb 11, 2013
Sorry guyz I stick with BON on dis issue, let Niaja pay what others are paying else CAF can eat their TV rites.
Re: BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now by maasoap(m): 8:35am On Feb 11, 2013
@teskyg
Will you support me in voting out PDP and Jona out of power and ASO rock in 2015 because I want a change in this country. Withholding 950million naira that was supposed to use in buying broadcast right was not in your best interest as you've made to believe. The said money is as good as gone. Or, do you trust them? Do you believe their claim? Because I don't.
Re: BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now by maasoap(m): 8:39am On Feb 11, 2013
We can't pay what others are paying and you should know why. Population and coverage size.
Re: BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now by naptu2: 8:40am On Feb 11, 2013
I'm with Broadcasting Organisations of Nigeria on this. It just didn't make business sense.

The sponsor of the tournament, Orange Telecom, has no presence in Nigeria. BON won't make as much money from adverts as they would if MTN, Airtel, GLO, etc were going to advertise (they won't advertise because a rival telco is sponsoring the competition). The fees were too high (higher than what most other countries paid).

Remember that the various radio and tv stations (NTA, DAAR, Silverbird, FRCN, etc) have had to pull their resources together, under BON, to be able to even bid for the rights.

Although government offered to pay for the rights, I support BON's decision not to accept government's offer. Government money should not be used for such purposes. Besides, it sets a bad precedence. If they had paid, future rights holders would believe that they can easily extort money from Nigerian broadcasters.
Re: BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now by teskyg: 9:41am On Feb 11, 2013
@ Maasop,I want to stick with this Government until 2019 before I decided on my next line of action.The opposition has not proposed any change except the desire to capture power from PDP.

2 Likes

Re: BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now by Nobody: 9:43am On Feb 11, 2013
Who watches NTA anyway ?
Re: BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now by Nobody: 10:31am On Feb 11, 2013
maasoap: @seunfly
But the truth is that my so called 950million naira will not be spent on on hospitals, schools, roads, etc. It will end up in individual pockets. Once again, may be in the next edition CAF will ask you to pay the same amount as Ghana with less than Lagos state population because we refused to pay this time around. Rubbish.

You mean that since the Nanny is likely to steal the baby's food, it would be better to feed dogs with the food?

BON did grate! Keep it up.

The truth is:
It is those that got the broadcasting rights that lost not BON.

maasoap: @teskyg
Will you support me in voting out PDP and Jona out of power and ASO rock in 2015 because I want a change in this country. Withholding 950million naira that was supposed to use in buying broadcast right was not in your best interest as you've made to believe. The said money is as good as gone. Or, do you trust them? Do you believe their claim? Because I don't.

So you think it is the PDP and Jona that withheld the 950 Million?
My God, how old are you?
I think we should open a Psychia Centre on Nairaland, where all posters must be evaluated once in a while.
Re: BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now by Abujafood: 11:33am On Feb 11, 2013
I know for a fact that it's CAF that will be regretting their actions! BON has made a strong case and CAF know for a fact that Nigeria won't be taken for a ride next time.
Re: BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now by maasoap(m): 12:36pm On Feb 11, 2013
@Noblezone
Since you're too slow to get my drift, I'll explain to you. Jona and PDP may be responsible or may not but my statement was in response to guy who mentioned people who don't want change in Nigeria. The change has to start wt irresponsible govt who withheld money that was supposed to acquire broadcasting right.
And yes, psychiatric ward needs to be opened on NL for people like you who support govt that takes everything from citizens without giving anything in return.
Re: BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now by maasoap(m): 8:42am On Feb 12, 2013
Even the coach was being owed! May be the acquisition of the broadcasting right at the exorbitant fee was responsible for it. Every seemingly good intention has underlying desire to steal.
Re: BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now by Nobody: 9:31am On Feb 12, 2013
maasoap: @Noblezone
Since you're too slow to get my drift, I'll explain to you. Jona and PDP may be responsible or may not but my statement was in response to guy who mentioned people who don't want change in Nigeria. The change has to start wt irresponsible govt who withheld money that was supposed to acquire broadcasting right.
And yes, psychiatric ward needs to be opened on NL for people like you who support govt that takes everything from citizens without giving anything in return.

Bros, I am not scared of going to the hospital for tests, but are you ready or scared?
For your information, the government is not responsible for the broadcasting rights and also they are not the ones to pay. It is handled by BON => Broadcasting Organization of Nigeria, which is the umbrella for all broadcasting outfits in Nigeria. These include, VON, AIT, NTA, Radio Nigeria, etc.

It is simply a business venture. The bill comes to BON, the bill is paid by BON, the profit or loss (through advertisements, is also made by BON).

Fees for broadcasting rights is not in our national budget. It is not the responsibility of government.
I hope you understand?

Finally, on change: true change comes from our families!
We live in generation where parents pay money for mercenaries to write exams for their children. And these kids are the leaders of tomorrow? It pains my heart that such kids are here on Nairaland, and without proper information post jargons from their empty skulls.

It is a national disgrace.
Re: BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now by maasoap(m): 10:02am On Feb 12, 2013
^^^This only showed that your knowledge on the matter is limited to only what you came across on NL! To let you be informed, BON only negotiated on behalf of govt. When you dig that up, come back and debate wt me. I simply can't understand why people would form an opinion in their room instead of searching for the facts. What is BON and their composition? Do they have common purse? The minister himself said that they acted on d BON's advice not to pay after negotiation. My boy, get informed.
Re: BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now by Nobody: 10:19am On Feb 12, 2013
maasoap: ^^^This only showed that your knowledge on the matter is limited to only what you came across on NL! To let you be informed, BON only negotiated on behalf of govt. When you dig that up, come back and debate wt me. I simply can't understand why people would form an opinion in their room instead of searching for the facts. What is BON and their composition? Do they have common purse? The minister himself said that they acted on d BON's advice not to pay after negotiation. My boy, get informed.

Okay, BON negotiated! Pardon my over site on should pay.
Yet, during negotiation, BON said "the cost is too high, we won't pay".

Then you turn around to blame government? Or you mean the government would had ignored BON and pay all the same since "we have the cash" or at least "let our children watch the match and thereby benefit from the national cake"?

If the Fed government had ignored BON's directives and paid, it is still folks like you that will come out and cry foul play.

Your position would make a meaning, if BON came to an agreement with the other party and then the government refused to pay.

Emm, what is your argument exactly?
Re: BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now by maasoap(m): 10:19am On Feb 12, 2013
On your assumption that change starts from families is a simplistic approach that has no base in modern society. Every man is inclined to be indisciplined or corrupt, and that's why govts all over the have various institutions to check people's desire to cut corners or do d they way want. In Nigeria today, people like u are able to use mercenary to pass exams because institutions that are supposed to punish you and d likes have failed. Given d same environment in USA, individuals over there will do d same.
Re: BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now by maasoap(m): 11:27am On Feb 12, 2013
^^^National cake? With the mindset that everything should be commercialized means the masses in this country are in trouble and that's why I said that what we have in Nig is govt that takes everything but gives nothing back. The masses can't even say specific social benefits they get from govt that has so much. And to imagine that the said money may end up in minister private account won't be a joke. U thought that BON was going to pay, now that u realised ur gaffe, new line of defence is "National cake".
Re: BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now by naptu2: 11:56am On Feb 12, 2013
maasoap: ^^^This only showed that your knowledge on the matter is limited to only what you came across on NL! To let you be informed, BON only negotiated on behalf of govt. When you dig that up, come back and debate wt me. I simply can't understand why people would form an opinion in their room instead of searching for the facts. What is BON and their composition? Do they have common purse? The minister himself said that they acted on d BON's advice not to pay after negotiation. My boy, get informed.

Point of correction. BON negotiated on behalf of itself. When a dispute arose, the Federal Government offered to step in and pay the balance, but BON told government not to intervene because it would set a bad precedent.

Jijiwa was quite explicit.
Re: BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now by naptu2: 12:45pm On Feb 12, 2013
In the old days we had problems with live broadcast of matches (even within Nigeria). This was because it was seen as a public service.

During Nigeria 1980 there were slow motion replays, multi-camera coverage and outside broadcast vans. By 1985 most of these things had vanished.

Furthermore, with the devaluation of the naira, it was becoming increasingly difficult for NTA and FRCN to pay for broadcast rights of international events.

The private sector stepped in. Degue Broadcast Networks (DBN) got the rights for either China '85 or Los Angeles '84 (I can't remember which), sourced for sponsors and made a lot of money for the NTA. This led to an explosion of rights marketing companies, such as OSMI, DBN (before it became a television station), etc (Segun Odegbami even owned one of such companies back in the day).

However, with the political and economic crises of the 1990s it became even more difficult to buy rights. That's where BON became crucial.

Broadcasting Organisations of Nigeria was initially formed in 1973 (because of the All Africa Games). At that time the broadcast industry was limited to government stations. However, after the All Africa Games it went comatose and was virtually dead until 1987 when Tony Momoh revived it (& this was the year I started following the activities of the organisation). It was virtually a government parastatal at this time, because both FRCN and NTA are government parastatals. However, with the enactment of the new broadcast decree in 1992 and the beginning of private broadcasting in 1994, priavte stations also joined BON. In fact, Raymond Dokpesi was co-chairman in 2001.

Broadcast companies decided to pull their resources together to bid for rights (each company will pay some money towards the acquisition of the rights), while the marketing companies (OSMI, etc) source for sponsors/advertisers.

When BON and LC2 could not reach an agreement, the government decided to step in and pay the balance, but BON told government not to interfere, because if they pay the high fees now, then they'll have to keep paying high fees in future.
Re: BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now by seunfly: 1:19pm On Feb 12, 2013
^^^^^ you even have time for him, you should have given it to him an assignment.
That will keep him busy from arguing blindly and sentimentaly while it will broaden his knowledge. All the same good of u, as u ve enlighten him a bit.
Re: BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now by maasoap(m): 5:05pm On Feb 13, 2013
seunfly: ^^^^^ you even have time for him, you should have given it to him an assignment.
That will keep him busy from arguing blindly and sentimentaly while it will broaden his knowledge. All the same good of u, as u ve enlighten him a bit.
You still have mouth to talk after all your gaffe. What a pity!
Re: BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now by asshunter(m): 7:49pm On Feb 13, 2013
maasoap: Every man is inclined to be indisciplined or corrupt, and that's why govts all over the have various institutions to check people's desire to cut corners or do d they way want.

The society is a collection of families! A failed society is as a result of bankruptcy in family values.

maasoap: In Nigeria today, people like u are able to use mercenary to pass exams because institutions that are supposed to punish you and d likes have failed.

You don't know me. So, I will take your assumption as tantrums as a result of an over rated ego.

naptu2:

Point of correction. BON negotiated on behalf of itself. When a dispute arose, the Federal Government offered to step in and pay the balance, but BON told government not to intervene because it would set a bad precedent.

Jijiwa was quite explicit.

thanks.

naptu2: In the old days we had problems with live broadcast of matches (even within Nigeria). This was because it was seen as a public service.

During Nigeria 1980 there were slow motion replays, multi-camera coverage and outside broadcast vans. By 1985 most of these things had vanished.

Furthermore, with the devaluation of the naira, it was becoming increasingly difficult for NTA and FRCN to pay for broadcast rights of international events.

The private sector stepped in. Degue Broadcast Networks (DBN) got the rights for either China '85 or Los Angeles '84 (I can't remember which), sourced for sponsors and made a lot of money for the NTA. This led to an explosion of rights marketing companies, such as OSMI, DBN (before it became a television station), etc (Segun Odegbami even owned one of such companies back in the day).

However, with the political and economic crises of the 1990s it became even more difficult to buy rights. That's where BON became crucial.

Broadcasting Organisations of Nigeria was initially formed in 1973 (because of the All Africa Games). At that time the broadcast industry was limited to government stations. However, after the All Africa Games it went comatose and was virtually dead until 1987 when Tony Momoh revived it (& this was the year I started following the activities of the organisation). It was virtually a government parastatal at this time, because both FRCN and NTA are government parastatals. However, with the enactment of the new broadcast decree in 1992 and the beginning of private broadcasting in 1994, priavte stations also joined BON. In fact, Raymond Dokpesi was co-chairman in 2001.

Broadcast companies decided to pull their resources together to bid for rights (each company will pay some money towards the acquisition of the rights), while the marketing companies (OSMI, etc) source for sponsors/advertisers.

When BON and LC2 could not reach an agreement, the government decided to step in and pay the balance, but BON told government not to interfere, because if they pay the high fees now, then they'll have to keep paying high fees in future.

Thanks a million.
Re: BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now by Nobody: 5:53pm On Mar 09, 2013
asshunter: --

lmao. awesome name. grin
Re: BON Must Be Regretting Their Decision Now by naptu2: 8:02pm On Mar 09, 2013
MsDarkSkin:

lmao. awesome name. grin

Yay! You got your old ID back.

(1) (Reply)

Lets Move Beyond Buhari And Co / Shoe Thrown At Iran President On Return Home After Obama Call / Nigeria Airports Made The List Of Worst Airports In Africa 2013 (see Review)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.