Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,703 members, 7,802,094 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:01 AM

How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? (11746 Views)

Nigeria Automobile Sector To Contribute 4.5% Of 2016 Global Sales / Highest Speed You Have Ever Tried On Your Automobile Includimg Road Details / What Influenced You To Buy Your Automobile? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Feb 11, 2013
I've started this thread in response to the alarming spate of Nigerians in Nigeria and abroad, who have no idea the most basic details of their vehicles! Details that are pretty important when posting an online query, buying parts or even responding to a query from a user with the same model. Or responding to an officer of the Law.

The obvious details are the colour and transmission type - automatic or manual. But what about the rest?

001) Make.
002) Model.
003) Model year.
004) Engine size.
005) Engine type - I4, I5, I6, V6, V8 etc.
006) Number of gears (less obvious if automatic).
007) Drive type - FWD, RWD or AWD.

These are basic details, which EVERY owner should know. In the UK, US, Canada and basically the rest of the Western world, the average 16-year-old will know more about their vehicle than the average Nigerian adult.Yes, I'm aware details are pretty scant in Nigeria, but that's no excuse. I've met lots of Nigerians here in the UK who are also ignorant of what they drive - despite the fact the engine capacity, type, model year etc are clearly printed in their Vehicle Registration Documents (V5).

I spent 13 years in Nigeria, and from when I was about 11, I knew a lot about automobile. I knew the differences between all the Peugeot models back then - 104, 204, 304, 305 404, 505, 505, 605 etc. I could tell a Peugeot 504 GL from the L / SR / GR simply by the sound. And of course by popping the hood. There was no internet back then, I knew what I did, because I was INTERESTED. The same applied to my knowledge of the Mercedes-Benz OM series trucks - 911, 1113, 1513, 1813, 1621, 1921 and the biggest of all, the 2624. My parents didn't own trucks, but my desire to know more made me learn.

I get emails from folk on Nairaland, asking for a replacement ECU for their Honda Accord "Bulldog". No reference to engine size or model year. How can I help in such an instance? I have also shipped parts to Nigerians in Nigeria, only for the parts they ordered for a supposedly 2,0 engine not fit. Because they wrongly assumed the engine size. And what they assumed was a 2,0 was actually a 1,6! These are mistakes that shouldn't happen, and sometimes can be costly. It has reached the point whereby I simply bin any queries that give no details beyond the make and model.

Some transmission failures are also due to incorrect fluid use. Again, because the owners assume what transmission their vehicle's are fitted with. Ignorance can sometimes cause minor issues, other times the cost implications can be huge. It pays to know what you drive, at ALL times.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 2:36pm On Feb 11, 2013
Your data sheet should read as shown below. These are my own vehicles, you can copy and paste, and substitute my details for your own particular model:

Make: Audi.
Model: A4 Quattro Sport.
Model year: 1995.
Engine size: 4,172cc.
Engine configuration: V8 2 x DOHC 32V.
Power: 340 hp.
Torque: 420 Nm.
Fuel type: Petrol.
Induction: Naturally aspirated.
Transmission: 6-speed manual.
Drive configuration: AWD.

Make: Audi.
Model: A4 Quattro Avant SE.
Model year: 2003.
Engine size: 1,781cc.
Engine configuration: I4 DOHC 20V.
Power: 190 hp. (mapped to 230 hp).
Torque: 230 Nm.
Induction: Turbocharged.
Transmission: 5-speed manual.

Make: BMW.
Model: 120D M-Sport 5 door.
Model year: 2008.
Engine size: 1,995cc.
Engine configuration: I4 DOHC 16V.
Power: 174 hp.
Torque: 350 Nm.
Fuel type: diesel.
Induction: Turbocharged.
Transmission: 6-speed manual.
Drive configuration: RWD.

Please write out your data, following the above format, simply copy and paste, modifying to suit your particular model. If you don't know all the details, simply leave them blank, and I'll do my best to fill in the gaps. Or someone else may have the same model as you, making things a bit easier.

With data as shown above at your disposal, you can't go wrong! besides, this thread will help others who wish to buy a particular model, by referring to similar models covered here, it will give them the information they need to make an informed choice.

Let's get things moving!
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Shagati(m): 3:20pm On Feb 11, 2013
Make: Volkswagen
Model: Touareg.
Model year: 2006.
Engine size: 3,200cc. (Not exactly)
Engine configuration: V6 24v.
Power: Bleep hp.
Torque: Bleep Nm.
Transmission: 6-speed auto (tiptronic).

Make: BMW.
Model: R1200GS.
Model year: 2012.
Engine size: 1200cc (not exactly)
Engine configuration: Boxer Twin (two cylinders).
Power: 125 hp.
Transmission: 6-speed sequential.
Drive configuration: 1 Wheel drive (YES!).

Make: Volkswagen.
Model: Jetta.
Model year: 2009.
Engine size: 1,600cc (not exactly).
Engine configuration: Inline 4 16V.
Power: Bleep hp.
Transmission: 6-speed auto (tiptronic).
Drive configuration: FWD.

Make: Gravity.
Model: Liberty.
Model year: 2012.
Engine size: no engine.
Engine configuration: same as above.
Power: depends on how energetic the rider is.
Torque: n/a.
Fuel type: Carbs and protein consumed by the rider.
Induction: n/a.
Transmission: 27-speed shimano ultegra.
Drive configuration: RWD.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by olajay5: 4:37pm On Feb 11, 2013
Make: Toyota.
Model: Corolla
Engine size: 1.8litre.
Engine configuration: 4-cyl. in-line Twin Cam 16-valve with Dual VVt-i.
Power:
Torque:
Induction:
Transmission: Automatic.
Drive configuration:
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Feb 11, 2013
Olajay5's vehicle data:

Model: Corolla
Engine size: 1,797cc.
Engine configuration: 4-cyl. in-line Twin Cam 16-valve with Dual VVt-i.
Power: 132 hp.
Torque: 174 Nm.

1 Like

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by pboiskinpy(m): 9:58pm On Feb 11, 2013
O boi I neva buy car oo but I know am gonna get 1 soonest
#Baba God is on point in my life

#NONI

7 Likes

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by momodub: 9:58pm On Feb 11, 2013
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Feb 11, 2013
iz diz worth being on da front page?....wld even perfer 2 c a post lik no light ..dan diz
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by seunblack(m): 10:05pm On Feb 11, 2013
The only thing I know about my car is that its a toyota celica,every other things are in the particulars
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Augustinaz(m): 10:07pm On Feb 11, 2013
Legerdece benz for now.

1 Like

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by spywareczar(m): 10:08pm On Feb 11, 2013
Smh
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by DaProff001(m): 10:10pm On Feb 11, 2013
make:bajaj
model:okada-royce
model year:1960
fuel type: kerosene
engine:1cc

3 Likes

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by iamswizz(m): 10:12pm On Feb 11, 2013
My car is one of the most Air efficient cars... All i have to do is breathe in and out daily,And im ready to go...

it is called FOOTWAGEN

1 Like

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Feb 11, 2013
Danielstainz: iz diz worth being on da front page?....wld even perfer 2 c a post lik no light ..dan diz

Because the cost of ignorance can be expensive. Have you actually read my opening post? Or is even simple comprehension beyond you? If you wish to see a thread about "no light", then you can start one, no one's stopping you.

Unless your thought process doesn't extend that far?

14 Likes

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by joek(m): 10:21pm On Feb 11, 2013
Pls guys, how do I post a topic on Nairaland?
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by akatonero(m): 10:21pm On Feb 11, 2013
Make:Volkswagen
Model:passat
Model:2003
Engine:2.8
Fuel type:gas premium
Transmission:automatic
Drive config:awd
this is the best i hv ever had.thanks to German Engineering.

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 10:28pm On Feb 11, 2013
Siena: I've started this thread in response to the alarming spate of Nigerians in Nigeria and abroad, who have no idea the most basic details of their vehicles! Details that are pretty important when posting an online query, buying parts or even responding to a query from a user with the same model. Or responding to an officer of the Law.

The obvious details are the colour and transmission type - automatic or manual. But what about the rest?

001) Make.
002) Model.
003) Model year.
004) Engine size.

These are basic details, which EVERY owner should know. In the UK, US, Canada and basically the rest of the Western world, the average 16-year-old will know more about their vehicle than the average Nigerian adult.Yes, I'm aware details are pretty scant in Nigeria, but that's no excuse. I've met lots of Nigerians here in the UK who are also ignorant of what they drive - despite the fact the engine capacity, type, model year etc are clearly printed in their Vehicle Registration Documents (V5).

I spent 13 years in Nigeria, and from when I was about 11, I knew a lot about automobile. I knew the differences between all the Peugeot models back then - 104, 204, 304, 305 404, 505, 505, 605 etc. I could tell a Peugeot 504 GL from the L / SR / GR simply by the sound. And of course by popping the hood. There was no internet back then, I knew what I did, because I was INTERESTED. The same applied to my knowledge of the Mercedes-Benz OM series trucks - 911, 1113, 1513, 1813, 1621, 1921 and the biggest of all, the 2624. My parents didn't own trucks, but my desire to know more made me learn.

I get emails from folk on Nairaland, asking for a replacement ECU for their Honda Accord "Bulldog". No reference to engine size or model year. How can I help in such an instance? I have also shipped parts to Nigerians in Nigeria, only for the parts they ordered for a supposedly 2,0 engine not fit. Because they wrongly assumed the engine size. And what they assumed was a 2,0 was actually a 1,6! These are mistakes that shouldn't happen, and sometimes can be costly. It has reached the point whereby I simply bin any queries that give no details beyond the make and model.

Some transmission failures are also due to incorrect fluid use. Again, because the owners assume what transmission their vehicle's are fitted with. Ignorance can sometimes cause minor issues, other times the cost implications can be huge. It pays to know what you drive, at ALL times.
SO WHERE DOES 1 GET ALL THIS INFO?
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Jaggiey: 10:29pm On Feb 11, 2013
Make: Honda
Model: Accord
Model year: 2003.
Engine size: 3.0L.
Engine configuration: V6
Power: ?? hp.
Torque: ?? Nm.
Induction: ??
Drive configuration: ??
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Ikenna351(m): 10:33pm On Feb 11, 2013
Post again nonsense here and you have yourself banned.

Try me!

Moderator.

1 Like

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by femionasan(m): 10:33pm On Feb 11, 2013
Some people are just silly and unserious, if you have nothing to contribute on the thread leave, like y'all dont know u can learn from this instead of going to ladipo 50 times in one day without getting the right part for ur ride or worse of all ordering it abroad and getting the wrong part.

Make: Nissan
Model: Maxima SE
Model year: 2000.
Engine size: 3.0L.
Engine configuration: V6
Power: ?? hp.
Torque: ?? Nm.
Induction: Naturally aspirated
Drive configuration: FWD
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 10:42pm On Feb 11, 2013
Model: Camry LE
Model year: 2001
Engine size: 2998cc.
Engine configuration:24 valves DOHC V6 .
Power: 194 hp.
Torque: 204lb ft.
Transmission: 4-speed Auto.
Drive configuration: FWD
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by NOIBMUUL(m): 10:49pm On Feb 11, 2013
Siena: I've started this thread in response to the alarming spate of Nigerians in Nigeria and abroad, who have no idea the most basic details of their vehicles! Details that are pretty important when posting an online query, buying parts or even responding to a query from a user with the same model. Or responding to an officer of the Law.

001) Make.
002) Model.
003) Model year.
004) Engine size.

Go and sit down somewhere. People have different interests and passions. I might be driving a car because it's a cheaper option for me but must I be interested in it! While will I bother myself with car details when other areas in my life need my interest and attention. Yes, I need to know the basics but not the details. People know in details about clothes, some about the environment, others about finance, more about music, some about fine and a handful about women! And every 'expert' in these areas can give you tons of reasons why these areas are significant in your lives; even more than cars!

So relax OP, we don't need to know the details. The basics will suffice. Thanks.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by TableLeg(m): 10:55pm On Feb 11, 2013
Very well... It is my car .. I drive it everyday, i know when it is sick ... I sleep in it .... I have sex in it .... I drive country roads in it ... It doesn't like me buying petrol from super market filling stations ... tongue
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 10:58pm On Feb 11, 2013
Shagati's vehicle data - Volkswagen Touareg:

Model: Touareg.
Model year: 2006.
Engine size: 3,198cc.
Engine configuration: V6 2 x DOHC 24V.
Power: 237 hp.
Torque: 305 Nm.
Transmission: 6-speed Tiptronic.

Shagati's vehicle data - Volkswagen Jetta:

Model: Jetta.
Model year: 2009.
Engine size: 1,598cc.
Engine configuration: I4 DOHC 16V.
Power: 113 hp.
Torque: 155 Nm.
Transmission: 6-speed Tiptronic.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by NOIBMUUL(m): 10:59pm On Feb 11, 2013

001) Make.
002) Model.
003) Model year.
004) Engine size.

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 11:01pm On Feb 11, 2013
NOIBMUUL: Go and sit down somewhere. People have different interests and passions. I might be driving a car because it's a cheaper option for me but must I be interested in it! While will I bother myself with cars details when other areas in my life need my interest and attention. Yes, I need to know the basics but not the details. People know in details about clothes, some about the environment, others about finance, more about music, some about fine and a handful about women! And every 'expert' in these areas can give you tons of reasons why these areas are significant in your lives; even more than cars!

So relax OP, we don't need to know the details. The basics will suffice. Thanks.

Since it doesn't interest you, it would have been best if you simply ignored this thread.

And it's "I" don't need to know the details, not "we". You can't speak for others, only yourself.

4 Likes

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by aieromon(m): 11:04pm On Feb 11, 2013
Ikenna351: Post again nonsense here and you have yourself banned.

Try me!

Moderator.

The Ikenna351 I know signs out with his trademark name. I guess these guys pissed you off.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by NOIBMUUL(m): 11:04pm On Feb 11, 2013
Siena:

Since it doesn't interest you, it would have been best if you simply ignored this thread.

And it's "I" don't need to know the details, not "we". You can't speak for others, only yourself.

I'm sure I'm speaking for others. We don't need to know th details.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Reasons Why Electric Cars Have Only 1 Gear & Not Multi-geared Like Typical Cars / Lamborghini Recalls 5,900 Supercars Due To Risk Of Fire / Mercedes-benz Is Rated The Most Valuable European Premium Automotive Brand

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.