Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,419 members, 7,808,505 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:47 PM

How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? (11751 Views)

Nigeria Automobile Sector To Contribute 4.5% Of 2016 Global Sales / Highest Speed You Have Ever Tried On Your Automobile Includimg Road Details / What Influenced You To Buy Your Automobile? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 4:30pm On Feb 12, 2013
kbdrim: I know this isn't on the topic but I just found this review of Audi A4 and it has pretty much scared me off the car.

http://www.edmunds.com/audi/a4/2002/reliability.html?style=&sub=
http://www.edmunds.com/audi/a4/2002/consumer-reviews.html
I know you are a great Fan of Audi however its difficult to believe some many people could be wrong in their assertions. I want to use the car in Nigeria so Im concerned about its reliability. Pls advise Sienna. Thanks

One of the reasons I've advised against the 1,8T versions. Cheap on gas, but turbo replacement and sludge issues (caused by mixing synthetic and mineral oils) can be expensive. 2,0 I4, 2,4 / 3,0 V6 are best.

The items in green are minor niggles, which will afflict any modern car that runs on Control Modules. Oddly enough, the Audi enthusiasts in North America and Canada love the 1,8T. Personally, I would go with a V6 any day.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by yyb14: 5:01pm On Feb 12, 2013
Make: Honda
Model: Civic
Model year: 2001
Engine size: 1.7ltr
Engine configuration: i4 SOHC 16 valve
Power: 115 hp.
Torque: 110 Nm.
Fuel type: Petrol.
Induction: Naturally-aspirated.
Transmission: 4-speed automatic.
Drive configuration: FWD.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Feb 12, 2013
Some of my cars, the commuters, I don't care to know the details as much.

I know the details in terms of history and heritage of my hobby cars and classic cars.

Some of my friends are who I'll call Drivers,they are not bad folks but they just don't care about cars like my friends that are Gearheads.

I like 1.8t because its easy to make tremendous horsepower with a chip change and even more with a turbo. My last A4 dynoed at 315 at the wheels when I was done and I never did any engine upgrade.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Feb 12, 2013
@​ siena , why do U̶̲̥̅̊ prefer torque values in Newton metres (Nm)? I think it will be better to use Lb ft (pound ft) since majority of the automotive publications (motortrend,jalopnik,wcf,autocar,autoweek,Car & driver etc) use this- it makes it easier to compare and contrast. This is just my opinion though...
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by LordReed(m): 6:45pm On Feb 12, 2013
Make: Mitsubishi.
Model: Galant.
Model year: 1996.
Engine size: 2.0L
Engine configuration: V6 DOHC 24V.
Power:
Torque:
Induction: Naturally aspirated.
Transmission: 5-speed manual.

Make: BMW.
Model: 645i Coupe .
Model year: 2007.
Engine size: .
Engine configuration: .
Power: .
Torque: .
Induction: .
Transmission: 6-speed Auto.
Drive configuration: .
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by iKoksi(m): 8:19pm On Feb 12, 2013
before getting part orders across to you then, had to dig in, got the bellow info handy ; smiley

Make: Audi.
Model: B6 A4 Quattro.
Model year: 2004.
Engine size: 3,000cc.
Displacement: 2967 cm3
Compression: 10.1:1
Engine configuration: V6 2 x DOHC 30V.
Power: 220 hp @ 6300rmp
Torque: 300 Nm.
Transmission: 5-speed Tiptronic
Drive configuration: AWD.

Others:
Refer: R123-A
Power to weight ratio: 16.7
Bore X Stroke: 3.25x3.65

Again thanks to u grin
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by kbdrim(m): 9:49pm On Feb 12, 2013
Siena:

One of the reasons I've advised against the 1,8T versions. Cheap on gas, but turbo replacement and sludge issues (caused by mixing synthetic and mineral oils) can be expensive. 2,0I4, 2,4 / 3,0 V6 are best.

The items in green are minor niggles, which will afflict any modern car that runs on Control Modules. Oddly enough, the Audi enthusiasts in North America and Canada love the 1,8T. Personally, I would go with a V6 any day.
Thanks so much sienna
Im Looking at getting a 2002-2003 a4 with a maximum millage of 100,000 miles from Germany. What would you advise I look out for in the maintenance history besides change of Timing Chain, water pump and clutch? I do know regular maintenance is what keeps most cars great!
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by njoku000(m): 11:13pm On Feb 12, 2013
Boss, these is the Id to which I sent you mails: 'imenkweini@gmail.com'. Please find time to advice me/reply my emails sir. Thanks again.
iKoksi: before getting part orders across to you then, had to dig in, got the bellow info handy ; smiley

Make: Audi.
Model: B6 A4 Quattro.
Model year: 2004.
Engine size: 3,000cc.
Displacement: 2967 cm3
Compression: 10.1:1
Engine configuration: V6 2 x DOHC 30V.
Power: 220 hp @ 6300rmp
Torque: 300 Nm.
Transmission: 5-speed Tiptronic
Drive configuration: AWD.

Others:
Refer: R123-A
Power to weight ratio: 16.7
Bore X Stroke: 3.25x3.65

Again thanks to u grin
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 12:18am On Feb 13, 2013
Lord_Reed's vehicle data - Mitsubishi Galant.

Make: Mitsubishi.
Model: Galant.
Model year: 1996.
Engine size: 1,998cc.
Engine configuration: V6 2 x SOHC 24V.
Power: 150 hp.
Torque: 181 Nm.
Transmission: 5-speed manual.

Lord_Reed's vehicle data - BMW 645i.

Model: 645i Coupe.
Model year: 2007.
Engine size: 4,398cc.
Engine configuration: V8 2 x DOHC 32V.
Power: 328 hp.
Torque: 450 Nm.
Transmission: 6-speed Auto.
Drive configuration: RWD.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 12:20am On Feb 13, 2013
kbdrim:
Thanks so much sienna
Im Looking at getting a 2002-2003 a4 with a maximum millage of 100,000 miles from Germany. What would you advise I look out for in the maintenance history besides change of Timing Chain, water pump and clutch? I do know regular maintenance is what keeps most cars great!

All B6 Audi engines are belt-driven, with the exception of the S4. Which engine type are you looking to get?
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 12:26am On Feb 13, 2013
platinumricky: @​ siena , why do U̶̲̥̅̊ prefer torque values in Newton metres (Nm)? I think it will be better to use Lb ft (pound ft) since majority of the automotive publications (motortrend,jalopnik,wcf,autocar,autoweek,Car & driver etc) use this- it makes it easier to compare and contrast. This is just my opinion though...

Most tuning houses here use Newtons to express torque, Audi and BMW do the same (all my Owner's Manuals express torque in Nm too). What I'll do from now on though is express the torque values in both Nm and lb-ft, if this'll help. smiley
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 7:34am On Feb 13, 2013
Siena: Livialives's vehicle data - Chrysler Sebring.

Make: Chrysler.
Model: Sebring Convertible.
Model Year: 2006.
Engine Size: 2,736cc.
Engine Type: V6 2 x DOHC 24V.
Power: I dunno: 185 hp.
Torque: I dunno: 255 Nm.
Fuel Type: Petrol.
Transmission: 5 speed Automatic.
Configuration: Front Wheel Drive.

Thanks!! grin
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Ngutor(m): 8:30am On Feb 13, 2013
Wonderful thread from the Auto master himself. Kudos
Make: Honda.
Model: Accord.
Model year: 1999.
Engine size: ?
Engine configuration: I4.
Power: ?.
Torque: ?.
Induction: ?.
Transmission: ?-speed Automatic.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Ngutor(m): 8:34am On Feb 13, 2013
Oga Siena in response to Hustlars querry you said " Slow driving would make any engine thirsty, especially big V6 diesels!"
Can you please ba a little elaborate if it wont be derailing this thread. Thank you
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by LordReed(m): 10:02am On Feb 13, 2013
Siena: Lord_Reed's vehicle data

Thanks a bunch!
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 10:28am On Feb 13, 2013
Siena:

Most tuning houses here use Newtons to express torque, Audi and BMW do the same (all my Owner's Manuals express torque in Nm too). What I'll do from now on though is express the torque values in both Nm and lb-ft, if this'll help. smiley
that will be a welcome development.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by kbdrim(m): 10:51am On Feb 13, 2013
Siena:

All B6 Audi engines are belt-driven, with the exception of the S4. Which engine type are you looking to get?
I honestly dont know which engine to get. I have just been reading reviews oline to decide which engine would be least problematic although it sounds like the general consensus on all audi a4 engines is to avoid it for a used car. You might be in a better position to advise on which engine is least likely to give problems especially in a place like NIgeria where you can hardly find good mechanics.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by spiggy: 12:19pm On Feb 13, 2013
Make: Mercedes-benz
Model: C180 Kompressor
Model Year: 2008
Engine Size: 1796cc
Engine Type: 16 Valve I4 Supercharged
Power: 154hp
Torque: 230Nm
Fuel Type: Petrol
Induction: Forced
Transmission: 5G-TRONIC
Configuration: RWD

Under powered if you ask me....but manageable for city traffic
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by LordReed(m): 6:09pm On Feb 15, 2013
Model: 645i Coupe
Model year: 2005
Engine size:
Engine configuration:
Power:
Torque:
Fuel type: Petrol
Induction:
Transmission: 6-speed Auto
Drive configuration:

Sorry Siena I made a mistake in the model year
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 6:26pm On Feb 15, 2013
Lord_Reed: Make: BMW.
Model: 645i Coupe
Model year: 2005
Engine size:
Engine configuration:
Power:
Torque:
Induction:
Transmission: 6-speed Auto
Drive configuration:

Sorry Siena I made a mistake in the model year

No worries, bro. The data for the 2007 model year still applies. smiley
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by LordReed(m): 6:50pm On Feb 15, 2013
Siena:

No worries, bro. The data for the 2007 model year still applies. smiley

Thanks a bunch bro!
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by skeletine(m): 8:07pm On Feb 15, 2013
@Sienna, sorry to derail thread. I drive a 406 (EW10) engine but have had power steering issues for the past 2 years and tried up to 4 pumps (all tokunbo) along the way and still no luck. am presently considering buying a new one but I want to be sure its all about the pump. Kindly advise. Regards
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 11:31pm On Feb 15, 2013
skeletine: @Sienna, sorry to derail thread. I drive a 406 (EW10) engine but have had power steering issues for the past 2 years and tried up to 4 pumps (all tokunbo) along the way and still no luck. am presently considering buying a new one but I want to be sure its all about the pump. Kindly advise. Regards

Hey bro, when you say you've been having power steering issues for the past two years, what exactly do you mean? Leaking? Stiff steering? Noisy pump / steering operation in general?
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 11:34pm On Feb 15, 2013
Ngutor: Wonderful thread from the Auto master himself. Kudos

Make: Honda.
Model: Accord.
Model year: 1999.
Engine configuration: I4.
Transmission: 4-speed Automatic.

Bro, what spec is your car? Is it from the US or Europe?
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by skeletine(m): 3:09am On Feb 16, 2013
Siena:

Hey bro, when you say you've been having power steering issues for the past two years, what exactly do you mean? Leaking? Stiff steering? Noisy pump / steering operation in general?
Stiff steering, eases up a bit when throttle is pushed.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Ngutor(m): 11:02pm On Feb 16, 2013
Siena:

Bro, what spec is your car? Is it from the US or Europe?
I dont know where Canada falls sir. Perhaps I can say US?
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by LordReed(m): 3:49pm On Feb 18, 2013
A car I drive frequently but don't own:

Make: Mercedes Benz.
Model: S550.
Model year: 2009.
Engine configuration: .
Induction: .
Transmission: .
Drive configuration: .
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Sammiejo: 1:31pm On Feb 25, 2013
Siena: Sammiejo's vehicle data - Kia Soul.

Make: KIA.
Model: Soul.
Model year: 2011.
Engine size: 1,591cc.
Engine configuration: I4 DOHC 16V.
Power: 124 hp.
Torque: 156 Nm.
Induction: naturally-aspirated.
Transmission: 5-speed MT.

Please whats the meaning of Naturally-aspirated?
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 1:49pm On Feb 25, 2013
Sammiejo: Please whats the meaning of Naturally-aspirated?

Fuel needs to be mixed with air to burn. With a Naturally-Aspirated engine, the air is drawn into the combustion chamber by vacuum. Also referred to as an Atmospheric engine.

Air can be introduced via other means - force-fed or Forced Induction. This can be via a Supercharger or Turbocharger. These draw air through their intakes under vacuum, compress it and pump it into the engine. This allows a greater air charge, which needs more fuel to mix, achieving more power.

1 Like

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 12:16pm On Feb 26, 2013
Make: Nissan
Model: Maxima SL
Model year: 2006
Engine size: 3.5 Liters
Engine configuration: V6 VQ35 DOHC 24-valve
Power: 265hp @ 5,800 rpm
Torque: 255 @ 4,400 rpm
Induction: Sequential multi-point electronic fuel injection
Transmission: 5-speed auto
Drive configuration: FWD

Make: Infiniti
Model: M45 Sport
Engine size: 4.5 Liters
Engine configuration: V8 VK45 DOHC 32-valve
Power: 335 hp @ 6,400 rpm
Torque: 340 lb-ft @ 4,000 rpm.
Induction: 2-position variable
Transmission: 5-speed auto
Drive configuration: RWD

1 Like

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by auhanson(m): 10:36pm On Feb 28, 2013
Siena:

A faulty crank sensor would certainly cause difficulty in starting, and stalling in service. Faulty O2 sensors will cause poor fuel economy, but not stalling. If they're faulty, the ECU doesn't get any signals, and the fuel system simply reverts from closed-loop emission control to open-loop.

Items that could cause stalling in service are:

01) Faulty crankshaft sensor.
02) Faulty camshaft sensor (if fitted).
03) Faulty coolant temperature sensor.
04) Faulty fuel pump relay.
05) ECU power interruption (wiring, control relay fault).

You had a crank sensor replaced - was it a new one? If yes, was it a genuine item, or a patent part? Crank sensors also need correct orientation to function properly. If it's too far, or too close to the trigger wheel,the engine will have running issues.

I think a scan is in order - and please don't buy any more parts, untill you at least have some codes to go by. Random replacement of parts can chew through your finances in a very short time. If you pull any fault codes, don't have them erased, and post the results here.

I wish you all the best.

Thanks Sienna, you have just answered my wondered question indirectly. My car stalls when the ac is on, and without ac on at hold ups, i have tune up the engine to counter this but it still stalls sometimes. From the kind of hissing sound i hear near my dashboard,atimes(tho the sound is gradually diminishing these days) i suspected the fusebox relay, i suspect this to be the control relay fault? My car is benz c180 w202 model
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by ivoryhouse(m): 12:40am On Mar 01, 2013
IVORY'S AUTOMOBILE

Make: Jeep
Model: Commander
Engine size: 3.7-liter SOHC V-6
Engine configuration: V6 .
Power: 210 hp@ 5200 rpm.
Torque: 235@ 4000 rpm.
Induction: -?.
Transmission: 5-speed Auto.
Drive configuration: AWD 4X4

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lamborghini Recalls 5,900 Supercars Due To Risk Of Fire / Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? / My Car Was Incorrectly Registered By The Previous Owner. Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.