Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,414 members, 7,808,473 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:29 PM

AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan (1961 Views)

New York Times Slams President Jonathan / ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight / Jonathan Is A Trainee President - ACN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan by Nobody: 3:42pm On Feb 11, 2013
…congratulates Eagles, says victory shows Nigeria’s endless possibilities

The Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) has congratulated the Super Eagles for winning the Africa Cup of Nations for the first time in 19 years, saying the victory shows what Nigeria can achieve when it allows talent, rather than mediocrity, to lead the way.

In a statement issued in Lagos on Monday by its National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, the party said the Eagles’ victory, coming just a little over a year after Stephen Keshi took charge ofthe team and started a rebuilding process, shows that transformation does not necessarily have to be an endless quest.

”The Super Eagles who failed to qualify for the last edition of the Nations Cup in 2012 rose to win the cup a year later. Keshi’s transformation agenda has produced positive results, even when not everyone believes in him.This is how it should be,” it said.

ACN noted that while Nigerians were not too happy at the players’ performance in the group stage, they quickly rallied around them the moment they stepped up their game in the knockout stage, an indication that Nigerians do not need endless prodding to support a winning team, whether in
sports or politics.

”The Super Eagles, who werenot among the pre-tournament favourites, won because the coach assembled his team based on talent rather than any extraneous considerations, and also because the team and its technical crew believe that when there is determination and self-belief, no
mountain can be high enough.

”If Nigeria will always field its best eleven in all human endeavours, be it sports, economy or politics, and alsoallows a visionary rather than a waffling dreamer to lead the team, the country will always be a world beater. That is the lesson from the Super Eagles’ class of 2013,” the party said.

Meanwhile, ACN has criticised President Goodluck Jonathan for opting to jet to London for the launch of Obasanjo Foundation instead of travelling to South Africa to witness the final match.

”Again, the President missed a chance to be seen to personally inspire his compatriots when it matters most. With millions around the world watching on television, there can be no better opportunity for a leader to showcase his nation and its talents. That explains why a world leader like President
Barack Obama flew to London to watch the US basketball team play against Brazil at the 2012 London Olympics.

”The trip by President Jonathan to London for whatever reason, while Nigeria is playing in the final of Africa’s top football competition for the first timein 13 years, and with the possibility of a first win in 19years, reminds one of the folk tale of a man carrying an elephant on his head, but surprisingly opting to search for a cricket,” it said.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/02/super-eagles-keshi-transformation-agenda-produced-positive-result-acn/

1 Like

Re: AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan by hurricaneChris: 3:51pm On Feb 11, 2013
Always making everytin in this country look like politics.
God almighty will surely judge u guys' insincerity.

Instead of making ur own point, ur looking for whom to criticize.

As if CAN is any better than PDP!
Re: AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan by Walexz02(m): 3:51pm On Feb 11, 2013
Hehehehehe ..... Wetin b discheesy?
Wetin bro Joh carry pass elephant o.
Re: AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan by Nobody: 4:00pm On Feb 11, 2013
hurricaneChris: Always making everytin in this country look like politics.

AcN may not be better than pdp but I can tell you that the whole people that have destroyed Nigeria since independence till date are in pdp,so don't expect anything from them.

Nigeria needs a revolution !
Re: AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan by Gbawe: 4:16pm On Feb 11, 2013
hurricaneChris: Always making everytin in this country look like politics.

They did make their own point even if you prefer to speak as if you reacted to the altered title of OP rather than read the article. The OP blatantly 419ned you and you fell for it. The original title of the article is :"Afcon: Keshi transformation agenda produced positive result – ACN". Yet the devious OP deceitfully changed it because he knows many here, due to innate prejudice, will react blindly to his incendiary topic, which is not even the main message, rather than read the article.

If you read the article then you will see the ACN made many sensible points and praised Keshi's ethos of allowing merit carry the day everywhere as the Party itself is doing supporting proven achievers everywhere. They made it clear that principle could bear fruit for Nigeria but you missed all that and fell for the mischief of OP who knows the feudal inclination of many here to understand he can get mileage from diverting your focus away from what matters to where he wants it.

”If Nigeria will always field its best eleven in all human endeavours, be it sports, economy or politics, and also allows a visionary rather than a waffling dreamer to lead the team, the country will always be a world beater. That is the lesson from the Super Eagles’ class of 2013,” the party said.

1 Like

Re: AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan by Nobody: 4:21pm On Feb 11, 2013
Sincerely speaking, I think the ACN many baseless criticisms are nauseating. Must we bring in politics into every thing?

I remember vividly that President Jonathan visited the Super Eagles when they were camping at Abuja and charged them to go for the cup, at a time when many Nigerians, including ACN wrote off the team.

Also when the team got to the semi-final, the president spoke with the team via video conferencing and sent a powerful team, led by the senate president to cheer the team at the finals.

But in all of these, the ACN propaganda machine could only take note of the absence of Mr president at the finals. And all these deceit and propaganda just because of desperation for political power?
Smh!

5 Likes

Re: AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan by Gbawe: 4:33pm On Feb 11, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Sincerely speaking, I think the ACN many baseless criticisms are nauseating. Must we bring in politics into every thing?

I remember vividly that President Jonathan visited the Super Eagles when they were camping at Abuja and charged to go for the cup, at a time when many Nigerians, including ACN wrote off the team.

Also when the team got to the semi-final, the president spoke with the team via video conferencing and sent a powerful team, led by the senate president to cheer the team at the finals.

But in all of these, the ACN propaganda machine could only take note of the absence of Mr president at the finals. And all these deceit and propaganda just because of desperation for political power?
Smh!

Please spare us your hypocrisy. Why is it only the part that criticise GEJ you "could only take note of" in the entire article? You even deceitfully gave the thread your own incendiary title, not indicative of the main message, because of your style which involves instigating the gullible here against those you perceive threaten your messiah.

Has the entire forum not seen you doing this against Fashola, Buhari, EL Rufai et al? When you tell us ludicrously that you are seeking one project of Fashola, why not do same for Uduaghan's Delta and even GEJ's Bayelsa under his handpicked candidate? ACN are on point with their main message about merit and you should prove their actions on the ground is opposite to what they preach. We all know the Party that deliberately hosts mediocrity everywhere.

7 Likes

Re: AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan by jmaine: 4:42pm On Feb 11, 2013
The ACN crew now morphed into the APC need to shut their trap here . . .trying to score needless points is quite silly . . . .

What manner of usual bullshyte . . . . . . .

1 Like

Re: AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan by jmaine: 4:45pm On Feb 11, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Sincerely speaking, I think the ACN many baseless criticisms are nauseating. Must we bring in politics into every thing?

I remember vividly that President Jonathan visited the Super Eagles when they were camping at Abuja and charged to go for the cup, at a time when many Nigerians, including ACN wrote off the team.

Smh!

Thank You . . . .

1 Like

Re: AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan by Nobody: 4:48pm On Feb 11, 2013
yes in as much that I don't like the way acn criticized gej, but what made Johnathan abandoned super eagles for obj Book lunching? the book is suppose to be about Nigeria, but they went to uk? God is watching all of you o.

1 Like

Re: AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan by Nobody: 4:55pm On Feb 11, 2013
Gbawe:

They did make their own point even if you prefer to speak as if you reacted to the altered title of OP rather than read the article. The OP blatantly 419ned you and you fell for it. The original title of the article is :"Afcon: Keshi transformation agenda produced positive result – ACN". Yet the devious OP deceitfully changed it because he knows many here, due to innate prejudice, will react blindly to his incendiary topic, which is not even the main message, rather than read the article.

If you read the article then you will see the ACN said many sensible thing and praised Keshi's ethos of allowing merit carry the day everywhere as the Party itself is doing supporting proven achievers everywhere. They made it clear that principle could bear fruit for Nigeria but you missed all that and fell for the mischief of OP who knows the feudal inclination of many here to understand he can get mileage from diverting your focus away from what matters to where he wants it.

You can write whatever you like but the truth is that no rule says I must abide by the headline as couched by Vanguard. The people in Vanguard are human beings, just like myself and cannot claim to be more intelligent.

The Pertinent question is whether or not my choice of headline is representative of the content of the report. The FACT is that the ACN criticised the president. Part of the report states "Meanwhile, ACN has criticised President Goodluck Jonathan for opting
to jet to London for the launch of Obasanjo Foundation insteadof travelling to South Africa to witness the final match"

I had to modify the headline to point out that aspect of the report because it saddened my heart that even at this point of celebration of AFCON cup glory and end of 19yr old trophy drought, the ACN could not spare us their brand of deceitful and propagandist politics.

10 Likes

Re: AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan by Nobody: 4:58pm On Feb 11, 2013
Very misleading topic! I don't see anything wrong with Lai Mohammed's comment. It's better the president never promised to go to South Africa than promising and fail at the end. Well am not surprised. that's his usual style of leadership. Promise and Fail Syndrome. The Eagles might have lost if he was there...who knows! God can work in mysterious ways you know! grin

8 Likes

Re: AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan by Gbawe: 5:04pm On Feb 11, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
You can write whatever you like but the truth is that no rule says I must abide by the headline as couched by Vanguard. The people in Vanguard are human beings, just like myself and cannot claim to be more intelligent.

The Pertinent question is whether or not my choice of headline is representative of the content of the report. The FACT is that the ACN criticised the president. Part of the report states "Meanwhile, ACN has criticised President Goodluck Jonathan for opting
to jet to London for the launch of Obasanjo Foundation insteadof travelling to South Africa to witness the final match"

I had to modify the headline to point out that aspect of the report because it saddened my heart that even at this point of celebration of AFCON cup glory and end of 19yr old trophy drought, the ACN could not spare us their brand of deceitful and propagandist politics.

You are guilty of the same deceit and propaganda. I can even accept that it is political overkill criticising Jonathan but politicians will do this to each other. The PDP is the worst at it because the Party lies and fabricate wildly. They will wildy tell Aregbesola to account for 200 billion when the real sum is not even a tenth of that amount. They will claim Osun is taking a 65 billion Naira bond when the real and planned figure is nowhere near that amount. You don't see those things when accusing some of "deceit and propaganda" because of your hypocritical disposition.

At the end of the day, there is no lie here. It may be distasteful to criticise GEJ but they are correct to state he attended OBJ's foundation launch in the UK. We all know GEJ is currently trying to suck-up to OBJ and the ACN would be a worthless political Party if they don't show the nous or killer instinct to exploit this. As long as they are not lying or fabricating, then you should grow up, stop being emotional and accept this is all politics.

To show uprightness, you should have commented on the other parts of the article instead of simply becoming emotional at the criticism of your messiah to the extent you also engage in the deceit and propaganda you claim to hate.

6 Likes

Re: AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan by Gbawe: 5:21pm On Feb 11, 2013
berem: Very misleading topic! I don't see anything wrong with Lai Mohammed's comment. It's better the president never promised to go to South Africa than promising and fail at the end. Well am not surprised. that's his usual style of leadership. Promise and Fail Syndrome. The Eagles might have lost if he was there...who knows! God can work in mysterious ways you know! grin

Please don't mind insecere9gerian and his bunch of over-sensitive co-travellers too over-emotional to learn from what obtains , as standard practice, throughout the entire world. Opposition politicians will criticise every single action of the Party in power. In the UK, it is done 24/7 and at every Parliamentary session !!! Yet Britons don't care because they are sophisticated enough to understand it is all politics. What many will quickly grow tired of would be outright lies against others to score a political point - and the PDP itself is master of this. Yet, concerning this article, I don't see a lie. Perhaps over-senstive9gerian and co want the opposition to become to GEJ what Okupe and Abati are to Mr.President.

3 Likes

Re: AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan by Nobody: 5:27pm On Feb 11, 2013
Gbawe:

You are guilty of the same deceit and propaganda. I can even accept that it is political overkill criticising Jonathan but politicians will do this to each other. The PDP is the worst at it because the Party lies and fabricate wildly. They will wildy tell Aregbesola to account for 200 billion when the real sum is not even a tenth of that amount. They will claim Osun is taking a 65 billion Naira bond when the real and planned figure is nowhere near that amount. You don't see those things when accusing some of "deceit and propaganda" because of your hypocritical disposition.

At the end of the day, there is no lie here. It may be distasteful to criticise GEJ but they are correct to state he attended OBJ's foundation launch in the UK. We all know GEJ is currently trying to suck-up to OBJ and the ACN would be a worthless political Party if they don't show the nous or killer instinct to exploit this. As long as they are not lying or fabricating, then you should grow up, stop being emotional and accept this is all politics.

To show uprightness, you should have commented on the other parts of the article instead of simply becoming emotional at the criticism of your messiah to the extent you also engage in the deceit and propaganda you claim to hate.
Double post
Re: AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan by Nobody: 5:27pm On Feb 11, 2013
Gbawe:

I'm sure you read the speculative report by Sahara Reporters over the weekend that the president had an intestinal ailment (amoebic colitis)? What if that report was true? What if that was what prevented the president from travelling to South Africa? Didn't the president send Senate president, David Mark and co? Cant the ACN praise the Super Eagles without looking for loopholes for cheap political capital?

Anyway, I'm just criticising the ACN for criticising the president unnecessarily and serving the ACN a dose of their own medicine.
Re: AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan by Gbawe: 5:51pm On Feb 11, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
I'm sure you read the speculative report by Sahara Reporters over the weekend that the president had an intestinal ailment (amoebic colitis)? What if that report was true? What if that was what prevented the president from travelling to South Africa? Didn't the president send Senate president, David Mark and co? Cant the ACN praise the Super Eagles without looking for loopholes for cheap political capital?

Anyway, I'm just criticising the ACN for criticising the president and serving the ACN a dose of their own medicine.

Did the ACN join saharareporters in this speculation? Do you want a Party that wants to be taken seriously hinging their talk on speculation? In so far as GEJ has not announced he will also be seeking treatment while abroad then you have no business insinuating that the ACN must factor this possibility into their utterances.

You really should stop hating others blindly/automatically and start using facts more. I personally would respect you if your arguments were factual. I don't care you support GEJ and the PDP and are thus compelled to criticise the ACN. We cannot all back the same Horse in life but you should learn to base your arguments on the truth and curb your emotions so you remain fair to all.

Like I said before, it may be distasteful for the ACN to criticise GEJ on this occasion but ultimately not wrong because no one has lied against GEJ. Part of the problem is that, regardless of our noise, many Nigerians lack political sophistication and exposure. We are far more emotional than politically sophisticated. My assignment for you is to watch three episodes of UK Prime Minister question time to know your messiah has it far too easy in Nigeria. People like you are the youth and, by inference, leaders of tomorrow. Stop lowering the bar for Nigeria in regards to what obtains elsewhere as standard practice and has made Politicians to sit up and give account of their actions. I am very comfortable with criticism of any politician that are not lies and fabrications because, as much as possible, emotions should be separated from politics. We would do well to learn that in Nigeria if we seek the development of our political atmosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_O4wfEasMU

2 Likes

Re: AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan by Nobody: 5:59pm On Feb 11, 2013
@Gbawe..,I'm glad you said the ACN criticism is "distasteful". That is the koko of the matter. I found the ACN needless criticism nauseating, which is not far from "distasteful"
Re: AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan by dayokanu(m): 6:02pm On Feb 11, 2013
The ACN is on point here when the reetardd of a President found it more appropriate to attend OBJ owambe instead of the Super Eagles that affect all Nigerians
Re: AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan by Gbawe: 6:04pm On Feb 11, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: @Gbawe..,I'm glad you said the ACN criticism is "distasteful". That is the koko of the matter. I found the ACN needless criticism nauseating, which is not far from "distasteful"

Yes. I believe it distasteful from a personal viewpoint. Yet I concede politics is not about 'niceness' and that they are within their right to level this criticism against GEJ. If they have not lied, then it is their prerogative to draw attention to GEJ's travel itinerary that may suggest a dubious sense of prioritisation.
Re: AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan by takedat(m): 6:06pm On Feb 11, 2013
Waiting for the Overweight Noise-Box(Okupe) to respond!

Jonathan's allegiance to his godfathers is uppermost,he relies on them for his return to power. 2015 is more important to him than a fu*king trophy!

Jonathan should do away with those thieving gasbags in his cabinet and get competent hands, if truly he wants to fulfil his transformation agenda
His first 11 are mostly quacks and colossal oafs excluding a few!

@ACN, please let Nigerians bask in the euphoria of this long awaited glory before resuming the usual verbal fisticuffs!

1 Like

Re: AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan by slimghost(m): 6:16pm On Feb 11, 2013
berem: Very misleading topic! I don't see anything wrong with Lai Mohammed's comment. It's better the president never promised to go to South Africa than promising and fail at the end. Well am not surprised. that's his usual style of leadership. Promise and Fail Syndrome. The Eagles might have lost if he was there...who knows! God can work in mysterious ways you know! grin

just STFU for once! Must you idi.ots try to score cheap political points with everything? this is irritating for God's sake. Has the man come out yet to give his reasons for failing to keep promise? why not wait until you hear his side of the story before shamelessly jumping on his back? damn

3 Likes

Re: AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan by slimghost(m): 6:22pm On Feb 11, 2013
dayokanu: The ACN is on point here when the reetardd of a President found it more appropriate to attend OBJ owambe instead of the Super Eagles that affect all Nigerians

Dont you think childish and senseless criticisms like this make people not to take the opposition serious? What happened to constructive criticisms? am really appalled. ACN should pls comport themselves for once.

3 Likes

Re: AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan by dayokanu(m): 6:27pm On Feb 11, 2013
slimghost:

Dont you think childish and senseless criticisms like this make people not to take the opposition serious? What happened to constructive criticisms? am really appalled. ACN should pls comport themselves for once.

Does it make sense for President Retardeen to be attending Obasanjos owmbe when the eagles were playing a nations cup final?

There are photos of him shinning teeth like a moroon that he is with OBJ when he should be somewhere in SOuth Africa
Re: AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan by slimghost(m): 6:29pm On Feb 11, 2013
dayokanu:

Does it make sense for President Retardeen to be attending Obasanjos owmbe when the eagles were playing a nations cup final?

There are photos of him shinning teeth like a moroon that he is with OBJ when he should be somewhere in SOuth Africa

Am not holding briefs for GEJ, but am disappointed with ACN! You dont try to score cheap points on every issue, they should learn to know when to speak and when to keep shut!

8 Likes

Re: AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan by emmatok(m): 1:57am On Feb 12, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:

So you admit to modifying the post.
Now thats funny, why modify what you didn't create.

1 Like

Re: AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan by Nobody: 3:25am On Feb 12, 2013
I thought ACN morphed into APC - Why are they still claiming to be ACN? Sincerity of purpose...our leaders lack, much!!!
Re: AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan by ypzilanti: 3:43am On Feb 12, 2013
Seriously...it was a wrong political move not to go to SA to watch the match. No other president in this world would have missed such an opportunity to market the nation. Lets be honest and admit it. Besides, he promised to be there. In the end he went to london to kiss OBJs hairy butt so that he would 'bless' his re-election moves.

The picture of the President in SA hugging those boys would have been worth 100 million in free advert money for Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan by luvinhubby(m): 7:11am On Feb 12, 2013
And Blaise Campaore, the president of Burkina Faso did not attend the finals also despite the fact his country is playing it's first final.
Those ACN HYPOCRITS should please shaarap.

1 Like

Re: AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan by Ngwakwe: 7:18am On Feb 12, 2013
Some Criticism are borne out of pure hatred for the opposite camp while some are meant to instruct, call to order and for collective good of the society.

Don't expect an Arab leader to appreciate Israel even if they produce cure for AIDS and Cancer.
Re: AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan by patimore: 7:29am On Feb 12, 2013
If it was left to some people, nobody should ever dare to question or criticise Goodluck, not even an opposition party. Is Obasanjo more important than the nation.

1 Like

Re: AFCON Cup Glory: ACN Slams President Jonathan by GARRIx7(m): 7:32am On Feb 12, 2013
Silly 9gerian the failed Medical Doctor turned PDP attack-dog..

cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Anambra Guber Contest: Losers On The Prowl / APC Reacts To Ogar On Osun Election / FG Directs Police To “Screen” The Vigilante Groups In Northeast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.