Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,858 members, 7,802,750 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:42 PM

Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move (23977 Views)

Sunday Mba: A Story From Grace To Grass / Sunday Mba Vows To Shame Critics / Can We Get 1,000,000 LIKES For SUNDAY MBA (the Nigerian Best Footballer) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move by supereagle(m): 3:25pm On Feb 12, 2013
Nigeria's unlikely hero in the final of the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations, Sunday Mba, has said he hopes he has done enough to earn a dream move to Europe.

On Sunday in Johannesburg, the 24-year-old Warri Wolves forward scored the goal that ended Nigeria's 19-year wait for a continental glory as they won their third Nations Cup trophy at the expense of Burkina Faso.

In the 1994 final in Tunisia, Emmanuel Amuneke came off the bench to fire two goals past Zambia and give the Super Eagles their second Nations Cup triumph after they first won the tournament on home soil in 1980.

Amuneke, who was then playing for top Egyptian side Zamalek, would subsequently move to Portuguese club Sporting Lisbon and eventually Barcelona.

"I hope I can also get a deal in Europe after what I achieved at the Nations Cup," said the former Nigeria U17 star, who was also the match winner against star-studded Ivory Coast in the quarter-finals of the competition.

His exploits have already sparked off interest from top German Bundesliga side Bayer Leverkusen.

In 2008, he was close to teaming up with Spanish lower league side Elche, but the deal collapsed after his local club, Enugu Rangers, demanded too much money.

"A transfer abroad is the next step for his career after his decisive goals capped a very decent tournament for him," said Nigerian football agent Vincent Alumona, who was behind the player's move to Spain five years ago.

"However, this could be tricky. The window in western Europe is shut, but there are still opportunities in places like Ukraine and Russia. And that is where the dilemma for Mba lies. To move now or wait till the next window in Germany, Spain or France opens in July?

"He will need good advisers to make a decision about this. And whatever he chooses would surely shape his career for the next two, three years."

What would a European club be getting if they sign Mba?

He is a skillful, hard working player who could play deep in midfield, as a second striker or even as the top striker.

He shot to national prominence early last year when he scored twice for the Eagles in an international friendly in Liberia.

He took his chance in South Africa when the highly-rated Nosa Igiebor from La Liga outfit Real Betis struggled.

The former Enyimba star would go on to play a very deep role in the middle, using his big engine to graft for Chelsea star Mikel Obi and also having enough strength to move forward to score his two tournament-defining goals.

But the only drawback for Mba is that at 24, he is a little too long in the tooth for a big breakthrough in Europe.

http://sports.ndtv.com/football/news/item/203455-unlikely-hero-sunday-mba-seeks-dream-europe-move

3 Likes

Re: Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move by Afam4eva(m): 3:27pm On Feb 12, 2013
He should go to a top-tier club in Spain, England, Italy or Germany and not just any other club. But first he should spend one season in Enugu Rangers first.

2 Likes

Re: Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move by oluwadare26(m): 6:19pm On Feb 12, 2013
Afam4eva: He should go to a top-tier club in Spain, England, Italy or Germany and not just any other club. But first he should spend one season in Enugu Rangers first.

c d way u mention the country just like dat! He shud grab any opportunity dat comes his way jare be it, Norway, Russia, Poland, France and so on...

8 Likes

Re: Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move by Afam4eva(m): 7:46pm On Feb 12, 2013
oluwadare26:

c d way u mention the country just like dat! He shud grab any opportunity dat comes his way jare be it, Norway, Russia, Poland, France and so on...
It's because of this mentality that you find Nigerian players in Iraq and Afghanistan.

12 Likes

Re: Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move by AndreUweh(m): 7:51pm On Feb 12, 2013
I learnt he is Bayern Lev'sn bound.
Re: Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move by valdubem(m): 7:51pm On Feb 12, 2013
nwa mba in my language means kitten-cat grin grin

1 Like

Re: Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move by Afam4eva(m): 7:51pm On Feb 12, 2013
Andre Uweh: I learnt he is Bayern Lev'sn bound.
They've shown interest in him. But i think he should wait and consider other options.

1 Like

Re: Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move by Nobody: 7:52pm On Feb 12, 2013
Afam4eva:
It's because of this mentality that you find Nigerian players in Iraq and Afghanistan.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahah some Nigerian player in somalia and fuji nko?

1 Like

Re: Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move by anishe(m): 7:53pm On Feb 12, 2013
Wish him all the best in his future endeavours. He has done well for 9ja.

1 Like

Re: Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move by lafuria1(m): 7:55pm On Feb 12, 2013
he should take any good opportunity that comes his way, apart from scoring those winning goals, there is nothing else spectacular about the guy, . start small like westham or lille rather than stay in bench all season for either inter milan or dortmund . wish him luck. progress it is....
Re: Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move by vanstanzy(m): 7:57pm On Feb 12, 2013
Why not, if not? He deserves it!
Re: Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move by Afam4eva(m): 7:57pm On Feb 12, 2013
la furia: he should take any good opportunity that comes his way, apart from scoring those winning goals, there is nothing else spectacular about the guy, . start small like westham or lille rather than stay in bench all season for either inter milan or dortmund . wish him luck. progress it is....
You didn't notice him until he scored goals because he was not a celebrity player like Mikel.

8 Likes

Re: Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move by lafuria1(m): 7:58pm On Feb 12, 2013
Afam4eva:

is it nigerian mentality that only mikel and mosses are in top clubs? if it was that easy, most naija players should be in a champions league team. even papilo had to retire to postmouth.

1 Like

Re: Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move by bojar(m): 8:00pm On Feb 12, 2013
He should consider the league that plays their league matches mostly on sundays....

4 Likes

Re: Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move by festusf: 8:00pm On Feb 12, 2013
Consult real man of God for prayer concerning decision u want to take.
knorkle2: it's his decision. I wish him good luck
Re: Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move by vanstanzy(m): 8:01pm On Feb 12, 2013
I hope the club that lands him will utilize him well and polish his goal scoring and attacking skills.
Re: Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move by Afam4eva(m): 8:02pm On Feb 12, 2013
la furia:

is it nigerian mentality that only mikel and mosses are in top clubs? if it was that easy, most naija players should be in a champions league team. even papilo had to retire to postmouth.
kanu really didn't have much to offer bigger clubs so he had to settle for less. Btw, he had played for a lot of Big teams. Most Nigerian players just have these hustler mentality and always want to go for the first offer they get. These is coupled with the fact that we don't have very good agents.
Re: Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move by McAdem: 8:03pm On Feb 12, 2013
Stunning news for Celtic! Efe Ambrose starts, despite playing for Nigeria in Sunday's 1-0 African Cup of Nations final win over Burkina Faso. The big defender only arrived back in Scotland this morning.
Re: Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move by JOEizu: 8:04pm On Feb 12, 2013
He should go to Man.U and bench Scholes
Re: Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move by yemluc: 8:05pm On Feb 12, 2013
....am talking to Sir Fergie on his behalf already.Make he relax,na him i wnt make he replace Fletcher/Paul Scholes..!!!
Re: Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move by Nobody: 8:10pm On Feb 12, 2013
At 24? That guy is more than 30!

2 Likes

Re: Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move by optimusprime2(m): 8:11pm On Feb 12, 2013
Afam4eva:
I hope you know age is not on Mba's side, so he really does'nt have the Luxury of waiting all day for a Transfer window to open up.
Re: Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move by Reference(m): 8:11pm On Feb 12, 2013
Honestly I don't know what he should do. I think his choices will be best served by himself alone. What his priorities should be will be informed by facts, secrets not open to us but are important. The key one here is his age. This will determine how much is left in the tank and whether there remains good prospects for personal growth and development.

If his tank is heavy then he can enter Europe at the fringes and work his way up. If his tank is going, going then he better wait for a big money move and a long contract. And when I say big money I mean relative to his present position. My two dinars.
Re: Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move by emiye(m): 8:13pm On Feb 12, 2013
At 24, He is running late of a good move to a good club. Strike the iron when it is hot now oooooo. Don't sit a day more in Nigerian league. Mr Mba. I hope your M.B.A degree in scoring on sundays will work for you in a new club abroad.
Re: Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move by Dfrenzy(m): 8:13pm On Feb 12, 2013
Actually, it really won't be easy deciding which offer to accept or reject. What i believe is that he needs divine direction. Though, i believe, now is the right time to move.
Re: Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move by theripper: 8:18pm On Feb 12, 2013
Naira no b better currency, baba wan begin chop pounds or euro. Wish u well bro.
Re: Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move by mcobinad(m): 8:21pm On Feb 12, 2013
Prof Corruption: At 24? That guy is more than 30!

Hahahahahaha Naija and their mentality. Personally, Mba looks 24. Don't know why you should have issues with his age. Over here, I have seen white folks who look like they could be my parents and I greeted them by adding 'sir' as a courtesy. Only for me to realise seconds later that they are younger than me. Nigerian weather can make one look over age atimes. Just saying.

2 Likes

Re: Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move by olawalebabs(m): 8:25pm On Feb 12, 2013
In as much as i won't want him to play in anyhow country, he should play in a club that will guarantee his playing time.
Re: Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move by Reference(m): 8:26pm On Feb 12, 2013
optimus-prime1:

I hope you know age is not on Mba's side, so he really does'nt have the Luxury of waiting all day for a Transfer window to open up.

Neither do I think he should panic and jump on the next bus. The impression we have is that these opportunities abroad just appear and vanish. Far from it. Out there they have sophisticated scouting systems which can track players over long periods. If there is any concern it is that he appears for the Eagles at the next showing - the Confed Cup. If he remains an international then, the offers will even multiply. We must understand what gives value to these players and hope they work towards that.

But like I said. Except if there's some hidden defect known only to the car dealer what is the rush to buy or sell.

1 Like

Re: Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move by timilehin007(m): 8:27pm On Feb 12, 2013
he should just wait for the next window and also heard Bayern leverkusen wants his services

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Najila Trindade: Brazilian Police File Defamation Suit Against Neymar's Accuser / AFCON 2019: Full Fixtures For The Round Of 16 / Festus 'Adegboye' Onigbinde Files For Divorce From Wife For Being Violent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.