Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,952 members, 7,806,759 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:46 PM

Choice - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Choice (2771 Views)

Prospect Of Mechatronics Engineering In Nigeria / Views Mechatronics Engineering In Nigeria? / Study Mechatronics Engineering In China In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Choice by Valiantvaliant(m): 1:01am On Feb 13, 2013
Here is my story:
I wrote the 2012/2013 Jamb Examination in which i applied for Architecture in ATBU Bauchi state, but when the admission list came out i was given BUILDING TECHNOLOGY to study[Mind you i have all the required credentials; a relatively high Jamb score(225 is not bad for a year like 2012 is it? where mass failure was recorded) and all required subjects in Waec]. In order not to stay at home i registered for and am presently studying Building Technology but i have not been feeling fulfilled knowing that i am not studying a course that is up to my academic standing. Now i came about this new course 'Mechatronics Engineering', i made some research on it and found out that its a new course and only a few universities offer it in Nigeria and my school happens to be one of them. I need advice partaining both courses so that with it i can be able to arrive at a decision of whether to write jamb this year and apply Mechatronics or to just continue with the Building? Please Reasonable advice are expected. Thanks in anticipation!
Re: Choice by shakaz(m): 10:54am On Feb 13, 2013
Mechatronics ? Have you done your research on how the course would look like, guessing from the name that it has to do with both Electronics and mechanical engineering mixture..If that the case it's a nice option.
Re: Choice by Valiantvaliant(m): 9:20pm On Feb 13, 2013
shakaz: Mechatronics ? Have you done your research on how the course would look like, guessing from the name that it has to do with both Electronics and mechanical engineering mixture..If that the case it's a nice option.
yeah, i've done the research
here's part of it
Mechatronics is the combination of Mechanical engineering, Electronic engineering, Computer engineering, Control engineering, andSystems Design engineering to create useful products. However due to development of light technology such as fiberoptics, optical engineering and fiber optics are being integrated into the course and are replacingsome electronic courses.
A mechatronics engineer unites the principles of mechanics, electronics, and computing to generate asimpler, more economical and reliable system. Mechatronics is centered on mechanics, electronics, computing, control engineering, molecular engineering (from nanochemistry and biology) and optical engineering which, combined, make possible the generation of simpler, more economical, reliable and versatile systems
my problem now is : is it worth leaving building for?
Re: Choice by Lagusta(m): 11:41pm On Feb 13, 2013
The course is ok, you can go for it, but please don't leave the building course until you have gotten the admission, that's my two-piece!!!
Re: Choice by akireperry(f): 7:34am On Feb 14, 2013
I suggests that students should choose a suitable course in which they have interest. I like this mechatronics engineering courses. This course is very useful in future business.
Re: Choice by Valiantvaliant(m): 8:24am On Feb 14, 2013
^^Thanks a lot guys!!
But i still need info partaining the career prospects of these two courses in Nigeria in the near future, preferrably from someone that studied either of the two courses or just anyone who knows about them, please Nl'ders i need to make a decision before Jamb closes registration...
Re: Choice by tashan: 8:43pm On Feb 14, 2013
Job prospects in Nigeria, without being a kill joy, there isn't a whole lot of design work done here. In essence, you're left with support and installation these complex electro-mechanical devices. If you push the envelope to include the globe, then by all means go for it becomes very lucrative.........bright engineers are always in demand. Make sure you have the aptitude for programming and be adept in mathematics. BTW, i worked on super wide format industrial digital printing machines for years until last month.
Re: Choice by Rhino5dm: 10:27pm On Feb 14, 2013
Forget about mechatronics in Nigeria and particularly at ATBU cos they are not in any position of add value to your life.

I know ATBU like back of my hand and I know all lecturers in mechanical department which I presume should be the ones handling that course.

Engr. Aje Tokan, Prof. Bello Adisa, Prof. Gerry Egbo, Engr. Bawa Mohammed, Engr. Sintali, Prof. Jatua, Engr. Habou Dandakuta, Bala Garga with those new graduate assistance can't add any values to your life. Many among them can't even solve heat equations.

so, my friend where do you intend to work with your mechatronics after being thought by bunch of illiterates wielding paper certificates? Do they have any new facility in place to handle such courses?

In the future, all I see is an innocent guy tied down hopelessly with first generational lathe machines shouting mechatronics!!!

Architecture? well, you just have to make a choice between the devil and the deep blue see. I suggest you give it a shot. But you have to forget about all those useless drawing board and set squares and quickly get your hands dirty on packages like autocad, Revit architecture, chief architecture, archicad, sweet home, Autodesk architecture, 3D max, Cinema 4D, Maya etc. . . . If any of the above scares you, then stick to your building technology and learn how to use packages.

By the way, I have successfully trained secondary school dropouts to become mid level architects within 6 months. . .don't waste your six years doing what you can learn better within six months. my 2 cents cool
Re: Choice by Valiantvaliant(m): 11:31pm On Feb 14, 2013
Rhino.5dm:
Forget about mechatronics in Nigeria and particularly at ATBU cos they are not in any position of add value to your life.

I know ATBU like back of my hand and I know all lecturers in mechanical department which I presume should be the ones handling that course.

Engr. Aje Tokan, Prof. Bello Adisa, Prof. Gerry Egbo, Engr. Bawa Mohammed, Engr. Sintali, Prof. Jatua, Engr. Habou Dandakuta, Bala Garga with those new graduate assistance can't add any values to your life. Many among them can't even solve heat equations.

so, my friend where do you intend to work with your mechatronics after being thought by bunch of illiterates wielding paper certificates? Do they have any new facility in place to handle such courses?

In the future, all I see is an innocent guy tied down hopelessly with first generational lathe machines shouting mechatronics!!!

Architecture? well, you just have to make a choice between the devil and the deep blue see. I suggest you give it a shot. But you have to forget about all those useless drawing board and set squares and quickly get your hands dirty on packages like autocad, Revit architecture, chief architecture, archicad, sweet home, Autodesk architecture, 3D max, Cinema 4D, Maya etc. . . . If any of the above scares you, then stick to your building technology and learn how to use packages.

By the way, I have successfully trained secondary school dropouts to become mid level architects within 6 months. . .don't waste your six years doing what you can learn better within six months. my 2 cents cool
Sir, You just made my day !!! i mean this is exactly what i need: a down to earth arguement especially with ATBU as a case study. I shall carry on with my Building. I would like to get in touch with you to see if i can also benefit from your six-month Archi programme alongside my studies.
Re: Choice by Valiantvaliant(m): 11:34pm On Feb 14, 2013
tashan: Job prospects in Nigeria, without being a kill joy, there isn't a whole lot of design work done here. In essence, you're left with support and installation these complex electro-mechanical devices. If you push the envelope to include the globe, then by all means go for it becomes very lucrative.........bright engineers are always in demand. Make sure you have the aptitude for programming and be adept in mathematics. BTW, i worked on super wide format industrial digital printing machines for years until last month.
your contribution is highly appreciated Thanks, but no thanks.
Re: Choice by Rhino5dm: 5:12am On Feb 15, 2013
You can always reach me through nairaland's private mail service. There is this nutcase called Isa Abdul in building department, right?

Valiantvaliant: Sir, You just made my day !!! i mean this is exactly what i need: a down to earth arguement especially with ATBU as a case study. I shall carry on with my Building. I would like to get in touch with you to see if i can also benefit from your six-month Archi programme alongside my studies.
Re: Choice by Valiantvaliant(m): 7:02am On Feb 15, 2013
Isa Abdul? Doesn't ring a bell. Am new there actualy. What's up with him?
Re: Choice by KINGwax(m): 7:11am On Feb 15, 2013
Well, I wldnt ask u to choose ds or dt cos I only knw of one!
I am a building technologist, and I tell u, with God on ur side u can never be out of job!!
Within two yrs av worked in 4 places, and new offers keeps getting better. In tis job people pay for experience, so, dt wot sld be ur priority.
U will be surprised dt wit running costs and site imprests u might nt touch a dime of ur salary.
Bt for the other option, let those who are versed tell u
Re: Choice by Rhino5dm: 7:36am On Feb 15, 2013
Dunno, if he's still around but ask about him in building department and avoid any contact with girls within his radar.

Valiantvaliant: Isa Abdul? Doesn't ring a bell. Am new there actualy. What's up with him?
Re: Choice by Myself2(m): 8:49am On Feb 15, 2013
Mecha~what?
That might be the worst mistake you would make in your life.Your intention sounds like a knee~jerk reaction to me.
What should inform your overall/final decision should be the answer to this question:What do you have a passion for,which of the courses do you feel a strong pull to?you know that kind of gut feeling that yes,I belong here,this is my area,which of the courses gives you that feeling anytime you think about it?that course will most likely give you fulfilment in life,should you follow it.
Stick to your archi vision or the building tech thing,most of the softwares and packages available these days for the both courses are similar and inter~related.You stand a better chance of getting jobs with either of the two as they are specific fields,rather than mechatronics that sounds like a jack~of~all trade mumbo jumbo that will keep you in the labour market for a long time

2 Likes

Re: Choice by Walexz02(m): 10:10am On Feb 15, 2013
At OP, the choice is yours, u can always ake pple for pieces of advice but I still believe you are the only that can choose for yourself.
You said u applied for architec bt u were given building tech abi? If u dnt knw, building tech is a good course that is in demand evrywhere,(with just little connections u will be glad u studied that cours).
I just finished my ND last year(Agric. Engineering) and I am planning to take D.E into Funaab to continue my career with dsame course. To my surprise, some of my friends ar asking me to switch to Mech.Engine becoz my result is ok and it wil do d magic for me if i want to,bt i am nt buying any of there advice bcoz they have no concrate reasons to backup their claims that mech.enginine is better than agric.engine.
I also need more advice here if I can gt some,
bottom line to OP, dont choose a course bcoz of what u read abt it in a book,go for your passion. With time I swear you will like dt building tech.

2 Likes

Re: Choice by Nauttyprof(m): 12:37pm On Feb 15, 2013
These courses are way apart reason is Building Technology has to do with construction of Buildings and is presently being replaced by Civil Engineers in the Nigeria of today. Mechatronics on the other hand is a combination of Mechanical and Electronics, and to me sounds nice as its gives you more opportunity to go into mechanical or electronics as a specialty but then again it will be tasking as it will demand an in-depth knowledge of Physics (Mechanics, Electricity and machines).
The choice is yours. As they are not related in any way, so you need to ask yourself which you'll love to go for.
Re: Choice by nitusa: 2:30pm On Feb 15, 2013
This is one of the best thread I ever seen on NL. As a older fellow my advice is follow your passion. I know it is very difficult in Nigeria. Can you imagine you applied for architecture and you are placed in building tech. Shame on JAMB systems that is destroying the future of youths in Nigeria. I am sorry I can not advice you to switch without been re-accepted for architecture.

BTW, stay away from cultism and university vices. Be focus, join professional associations in your field of study. Do sports. It looks like you are very smart, provide mentoring services to other students, good way to make money. I am very sure young men like you will make it and God will bless you.

Notice: I take this opportunity to thank all the good people that has given valuable advice to this gentleman. May God Bless you all. I takes a village to raise a child. Thanks
Re: Choice by Valiantvaliant(m): 4:21pm On Feb 15, 2013
I am deeply grateful to each of you for the advice given. It is true the choice is mine. But nevertheless with your individual advice i have been able to arrive at a decision and i believe God will see me through. God bless you all and prosper your careers as well. Once again, THANK YOU!
Re: Choice by Wumil: 12:49pm On Feb 16, 2013
"and am presently studying Building Technology but i have not been feeling fulfilled knowing that i am not studying a course that is up to my academic standing."
Well, I like you because you take initiative by asking and the respective answers you've been given are good in their own ways, I took note of something i will like to correct in what u said "knowing that i am not studying a course that is up to my academic standing."
Please,
1] If you are not fulfilled doing what you are doinng you should think twice because you seemingly don't know what opportunity(ies) lies ahead of you.
2] You should also understand that you can do anything you want but you actually need a degree. To be relevant in todays world.
3] I can sense that you are a brilliant student but please dont look down on any course as not up to your academic standing because there's no thing as a cheap course, take it or leave it.
4] Mechatronics is a very good course, if you are really interested you should think of
a] Does your school have all the necessary equipments
b] If the answer to a is No and u want to do the course then u shd consider doing it outside nigeria or still doing it in your school then going for appreticeship with the guys who practice it. An example are the ones that hosts talk on 102.3FM Lagos.

This is my candid advice for you.
God Bless you and guide you as u decide.
Re: Choice by Valiantvaliant(m): 8:12pm On Feb 16, 2013
Wumil: "and am presently studying Building Technology but i have not been feeling fulfilled knowing that i am not studying a course that is up to my academic standing."
Well, I like you because you take initiative by asking and the respective answers you've been given are good in their own ways, I took note of something i will like to correct in what u said "knowing that i am not studying a course that is up to my academic standing."
Please,
1] If you are not fulfilled doing what you are doinng you should think twice because you seemingly don't know what opportunity(ies) lies ahead of you.
2] You should also understand that you can do anything you want but you actually need a degree. To be relevant in todays world.
3] I can sense that you are a brilliant student but please dont look down on any course as not up to your academic standing because there's no thing as a cheap course, take it or leave it.
4] Mechatronics is a very good course, if you are really interested you should think of
a] Does your school have all the necessary equipments
b] If the answer to a is No and u want to do the course then u shd consider doing it outside nigeria or still doing it in your school then going for appreticeship with the guys who practice it. An example are the ones that hosts talk on 102.3FM Lagos.

This is my candid advice for you.
God Bless you and guide you as u decide.
THANKS A LOT! SIR/MA'AM
Re: Choice by festus1994: 1:40pm On Jan 11, 2016
I decided to join nairaland today to glean from the practical wisdom I see in the comments on this site. I am currently a 100 level student at covenant university. I initially wanted to study mechatronics at bells university in fact I got admission for it, but I was advised not to go to Bells university that it is not a good school, by my dad saying for example that the post utme was not done with computer like covenants own. I applied for electrical electronics at covenant but was given industrial physics renewable energy option.
Since I got in I've been researching for a place to study mechatronics so that I can transfer there. I'm getting depressed that I'm studying the wrong course. This lack of motivation is damaging to my emotional wellbeing. I want comments on which school is good enough and also if you know anything about bells university or can send images of their Mechatronics curriculum here so that I can make a decision. Thank you

(1) (Reply)

Project Topics In Education / Doctor Or Lawyer Which Profession Has More Intelligent People / How land fully funded scholarships for free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.