Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,700 members, 7,802,074 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:44 AM

Jonathan Doles Out Cash, Lands, And National Honours On Super Eagles - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Doles Out Cash, Lands, And National Honours On Super Eagles (645 Views)

Rivers Rerun: PDP Releases Photos, Alleges FG Doles Out Billions To APC Rivers / National Honours Awardees Stranded In Abuja / Full List Of Nigeria National Honours Award Recipients (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Jonathan Doles Out Cash, Lands, And National Honours On Super Eagles by omenka(m): 6:56am On Feb 13, 2013
The Federal Government on Tuesday night opened
the cash tap and doled out money in torrents to the
victorious Super Eagles team to the just concluded
African Cup of Nations championship in South Africa.

A largely underrated Super Eagles had on Sunday
night defeated Burkina Faso by a lone goal to
become the African Champions for the third time.
Each member of the team received the sum of N5
million from the Federal Government, in addition to
national honour and choice land in the nation’s
capital. While Captain Joseph Yobo of Feneberche FC received national honour of Officer of the Order of Niger (OON), other members of the team received Member of the Order of the Niger (MON).
The Coach of the team, Stephen Okechukwu Keshi,
received the sum of N10 million, a piece of land and
national honours of Commander of the Order of the
Niger (CON). Assistant Coaches of the Super Eagles, Daniel Amokachi, Ike Shorunmu and two others went home with N5 million each, choice lands and national honours of Officer of the Order of Niger (OON).

Earlier, multibillionaires, Mike Adenuga and Aliko
Dangote had given $1 million and N130 million
respectively to players and officials of the team.
The government and the businessmen did not
remember to reward members of the Nigerian
Football Supporters Club who cheered the team to
victory.

Members of the national team along with their
technical crew and officials of the Nigerian Football
Federation had arrived the Nnamdi Azikiwe
International Airport, Abuja, at 3:15 p.m. to a
tumultuous crowd of jubilant supporters and
residents of the nation’s capital.

Meanwhile, the Honourable Minister of State for the
Federal Capital Territory, Olajumoke Akinjide,
has commended the national team for making the
nation proud at Africa’s biggest football fiesta.
Ms Akinjide said she was especially elated that the
senior national team was led to victory by a Nigerian coach, Stephen Keshi and also assisted by Assistant Coach, Daniel Amokachi, a Nigerian.
She noted that the team, captained by Mr. Yobo,
displayed a high level of commitment, dedication
and patriotism.

According to the minister, the team’s victory at
AFCON 2013 has restored the nation’s pride and
positioned the country in its rightful place as “Giant
of Africa in the area of football.”

“The AFCON’s triumph, which is coming after 19
years, is an indication of a better future for the
country. We need to remain focus, discipline and
determine. Nigeria is surely getting better in the
areas sports and the economy.
“I express my heartfelt congratulation to the coach
and our spectacular Super Eagles, for making Nigeria proud. I enjoin all Nigerians to learn from the strong determination, the will to succeed and patriotic zeal that brought victory to the team and the Nation,” said Akinjide, who oversees the FCT Department of Sports in the Social Development Secretariat.

The minister urged the team not to rest on its oars
but to strive and work towards achieving a similar
feat at the forthcoming FIFA Confederation Cup
and FIFA World Cup in Brazil in 2014.

premiumtimesng.com/news/120039-jonathan-doles-out-cash-lands-national-honours-to-super-eagles.html
Re: Jonathan Doles Out Cash, Lands, And National Honours On Super Eagles by omenka(m): 7:07am On Feb 13, 2013
Much as I relish the victory of our boys, in my opinion, the president has yet again spoiled the broth by adding too much salt! Hell, is the national honours part necessary?? Does this man realy have a brain upstairs?? Haba! Has he ever heard abt the word 'modesty'? In place of the awards, wouldn't erecting a monument, in some strategic spot in Abuja in their honour, been more apropriate??
I find it hard to imagin what he would do should they bring the world cup home tomao.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Doles Out Cash, Lands, And National Honours On Super Eagles by AustineE1: 8:28am On Feb 13, 2013
omenka: Much as I relish the victory of our boys, in my opinion, the president has yet again spoiled the broth by adding too much salt! Hell, is the national honours part necessary?? Does this man realy have a brain upstairs?? Haba! Has he ever heard abt the word 'modesty'? In place of the awards, wouldn't erecting a monument, in some strategic spot in Abuja in their honour, been more apropriate??
I find it hard to imagin what he would do should they bring the world cup home tomao.
....another faultfinder on the prowl!go get urself a life.
Re: Jonathan Doles Out Cash, Lands, And National Honours On Super Eagles by iykak47: 9:01am On Feb 13, 2013
omenka: Much as I relish the victory of our boys, in my opinion, the president has yet again spoiled the broth by adding too much salt! Hell, is the national honours part necessary?? Does this man realy have a brain upstairs?? Haba! Has he ever heard abt the word 'modesty'? In place of the awards, wouldn't erecting a monument, in some strategic spot in Abuja in their honour, been more apropriate??
Have you forgotten that the players (Christian Chukwu, Segun Odegbami etc)that won the African nations cup in 1980 were given national honours also by Shehu Shagari. Please don't allow hatred you have on GEJ to choke you to death, imagine you insulting a man your father would stand on his toes to have a glimpse of.
Re: Jonathan Doles Out Cash, Lands, And National Honours On Super Eagles by OAM4J: 9:29am On Feb 13, 2013

(1)

Amala Politics In Ogun State :Mace Smashed, As Two Factions Lay Claim To Speaker / God Told Jonathan To Pardon Alamieyeseigha – Arthur Eze / Bola Tinubu Was Wrongly Quoted, Read His Correct Statement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.