Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,998 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:56 AM

The Beauty Of Being A Cable Plant Engineer - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Beauty Of Being A Cable Plant Engineer (622 Views)

Dana House Assembly Plant Sacks All Their Graduate Trainee / AVEVA PDMS (plant Design Management System) Training / Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Beauty Of Being A Cable Plant Engineer by baronbeach: 4:15pm On Feb 13, 2013
The purpose of this write up is to show you from a different perspective on how you could use or make the best out of your job that seems to have been monotonous over the years....
Meeting people is my hobby and getting to know them is what i find most fascinating, and the nature of your job if looked at critically you will get to see it from a different angle you never thought existed...and BOOOOOOM that is the changed required to take you to your next level...
In this particular case i will like to take you on a ride through the journey of my six years as a cable engineer in one of the multi-national oil company in nigeria and how what seems like a boring routine job turned me into a better person without even changing jobs...and please note, this is not about the pay or job satisfaction,like i said earlier its all about looking at the job from a different perpective with the sole aim of making the best out of it.

In other for you not to get lost, i will like to give you an overview of what i do and how i linked it with my social life which has changed me from being what i was to what i am now...
CABLING is a section from SWITCHING..SWITCHING in the field of telecommunication or telephone exchange better still PABX is a system of electric components that connects telephone calls..A central office is the physical building used to house inside plant equipment including telephone switches which make telephone calls "WORK"in the sense of making connections and replaying the speech information....simply put it is the process of making a conection between telecommunication devices so that they can communicate with each other..
Now, CABLE PLANT/CABLING is all the physical and supporting infrastructure(such as conduit, cabinets,tower or poles)and any associated hardware located between a demarcation point in a switching facility.

Cables are a type of guided transmission mediums. cables are usually known to transmit electric energy(AC & DC) but in telecomms fields, cables are used to transmit electromagnetic waves..Telecommunication are based on transmitting modulated waves/signals through a medium and receiving them. When the distance b/w the transmitter and receiver is far, the antennas are used, otherwise in guided medium transmission, the telecommunication cables are used...Having said all this, my Job basically is structural office cabling(soc),mentainance and installation of desk phones for users in their offices, residential areas etc...
Attending to people's need its something i like doing which is part of the reason i am writing this, because it gives me joy when i see somebody happy and even a greater joy to know that i am behind it...customers, as we usually refer to them around here, always like to get things done at the speed of light...managing them some times could be tasking and intresting at thesame time but at the end of it all i make sure that customers are satisfied...in most case we turn out to be friends...And THAT IS WHAT I WANT TO TALK ABOUT...

For many of us, meeting and getting to know new people is fun. However, you find it difficult to meet someone new. You may become tense and uncomfortable when talking to new people. Regardless of how you feel about meeting new individuals, you can reap many benefits from pushing yourself to increase your circle of friends and acquaintances

Friendship

Meeting new people can provide you with additional friends. As a social animal, you need the companionship of others; friends and a support network are important for your mental and physical well-being. Researchers at Flinders University in Australia discovered that having friends helps you live longer, and Harvard University researchers found that friends help keep your brain healthy. Moreover, friends can reduce your stress level, since you have someone to talk to about your problems.

Knowledge

Meeting new people helps you learn new things. When you meet someone new, this person shares with you things you didn’t previously know. New people show you new skills, teach you new languages and help you master the problems encountered in life. By taking the time to learn from new people, you expand your own skills and knowledge.

Understanding

Meeting new people helps you learn about and understand different cultures. You can learn about their belief systems, how they live and what they value. When you meet other people, you expand your own cultural awareness of the world. You learn about other races, religions, political systems and lifestyles. More importantly, you may notice your own misconceptions and work to overcome them.

Networking

When you meet new people, you can expand your business connections. By focusing on what new acquaintances can do for your career and what you can do for theirs, you form valuable connections. Network through alumni groups, online social networks and professional organizations. Attending local and national conferences allows you to meet new people and increase your network of friends and business connections.

Self-Esteem

Meeting new people makes you feel better about yourself. When new people seem interested in you and your life, you experience a boost in your self-esteem. Other people can help reinforce the positive aspects of your self-esteem and feelings of self-worth. When your friends offer their support and encouragement, your self-esteem and confidence rises.

I sincerely hope you have learned a thing or two hope to see you on top...GOD BLESS YOU
For any question on this or about life's challenging questions,
Email me:ben_omoria@yahoo.com
follow me on twitter: benedict inegbedion@ben_omoria

Regards,
Ben

(1) (Reply)

Career Guide / How To Impress The Robots Reading Your Resume / Job In Manufacturers Directory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.