Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,675 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:13 PM

A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora (17455 Views)

Buhari Seeks $500m Loan For Lagos, Diaspora Bond / Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? / Nigerian Academia In Diaspora (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora by apache77(m): 6:39pm On Feb 13, 2013
Dear Nigerian in Diaspora,

Time and time again, you have justified your reason for leaving our fatherland. Or is it motherland? You said it is because you want to give your children a better life and opportunity than you had. We accepted your reason, as looking at the current state of our nation, we see every validity in your reason. And we did not trouble you or hassle you over that decision.

Just like we did not hassle you over this decision, we would like you to reciprocate this gesture by not hassling us over our decision to stay back.

Dear NID, I have noticed that the way you talk about issues pertaining to our country is far different from the way we here take it. Have you ever wondered why the tone of your comments about this country is far different from the tones of the Nigerians in Nigeria? Once there is a tragic event, you have a way of blowing it over the top, exaggerating, and wondering what our dear country is turning to. If only you reacted this way to every good thing that happened in our country, maybe the western world won’t always present a single story about us in their press.

Your comments of “I can never send my children to Nigeria on a holiday because they would either be robbed, kidnapped or used for rituals,” doesn’t really sound encouraging, especially as you have never suggested one solution to this problem we are facing. Please tell me, what percentage of the ones who came here during last holiday were subject to this cruel fate you imagine?

But Dear NID, I begin to wonder

Why are you always the ones to point out just how bad our country is to us, as if we are too blind to see it?

Why are you the ones that always hammer on the fact that we here are the stupidly religious ones? That we all follow our pastors like blind fools? Please, let the people that want to buy jets for their pastors do so. As you have tied your hope to the white man giving you a better life, they have also tied their hope to their pastors giving them miracles, since many of them would never have the opportunity to leave this side of the world. After all, they learnt it from the numerous pastors in America, who also bought private jets from money they got from televangelism and offerings too. Our pastors still have a long way to go when it comes to acquiring private jets.

Why are you always the first to mention how you don't see Nigeria ever getting better, how you lost hope in Nigeria a long time ago? We know about your lost hope, your exit already tells us that much.

Why are you the ones who dismiss songs of hope in Nigeria, such as Great Nation by Timi Dakolo, The Future is here by TY Bello, etc. as wishful thinking? Just because you have lost hope in our country doesn’t mean you should try to kill the hope of those left.

You have left, fine! Your children and grandchildren would probably never visit Nigeria in their life time, fine! We don’t have an issue with that, it’s your family, you can do whatever you like with them. You have said over and over again how you don’t care for Nigeria and her issues anymore. Yes, we get that. Since that is the case, we expect you to follow suit with your words, and really NOT care again, by forgetting that Nigeria exists in your dictionary. Or does the fact that you can’t stop talking and complaining about Nigeria despite the fact that you claim not to care really mean that your ‘care-less’ statements are not true? Selah

Dear NID, you should know that not all of us have the opportunity to leave like you, and even when some of us do, we just don't want to. We have chosen to stay. We were not forced to stay, we chose to. Live with your choice and let us live with ours.

Dear NID, even if you have stopped believing in Nigeria, and do not see yourself ever returning here, can you please stop asking us to do the same? Can you please, stop expecting us to stop hoping that we would get better, just because you stopped hoping? Cos unfortunately, some of us have nowhere else to go, and no matter how many people leave, some of us here still have to stay back, and make Nigeria good again.

Dear NID, you forget that when your family is bad, and you choose to run to another family because they are good, it won’t solve the problem of the ‘badness’ of your family. Your family will still be bad. Selah

Dear NID, why is it that whenever I ask you about the solution to this country you claim you do not care about, but can never stop talking about, you tell me the only solution is to split? Unity or splitting - which of the options would cost more? Are you ready to sacrifice the remaining family you left here to the unavoidable bloodshed that would happen if your splitting fantasies ever became a reality (no pun intended)? Wait no, you would move all of them out of the country and make them fellow NIDs like you - another fantasy that would never become a reality, thanks to the white man that would rather die than see that happen.

Nigeria is a big menace and it is like a time bomb waiting to explode, with the injustice, corruption, insecurities, and other negative nouns I would not even bother to mention, but rather leave for the political bloggers and writers to deal with. One thing we know is this, in no way would leaving the country ever solve all the migraine-genera­ting problems of our country. But as we have said before, we don’t have any problem with the choice you made. After all, there is the fight or flight approach to be taken in any battle. You chose the flight, while we chose the former.

It is okay that you have decided to have as little as possible to do with us, but please, live and let live. Don’t tell me to shut up when I say something good can still come out of Nigeria – I will still say it. Don’t try to take away the hope we have left with your comments of how failed and hopeless we are. Hoping in this k-leg country of ours is very difficult, and we should be encouraged and commended for doing so. In the face of the unexplainable nonsense our leaders put us through in this country, our hope is honestly the only thing we have. Take that away from us, and we had better started committing suicide because a hopeless person is a walking-dead.

And if you are a NID because your parents stole our commonwealth, sent you out to have a better life, and you in turn, pay us back by trying to kill our spirit with your hope-sucking statements, thereby making me spend time to write this letter which would most likely generate comments I would rather not deal with my way, well… since I have no power to do anything to you, I leave you for God to judge. That is not because I am meek like Moses, it is because I really have no power to do anything to you – at least, for now.

Dear NID, in spite of all the nonsense happening in every sector of the country, you can call me deluded, but I still say Nigeria has a great future. Okay, I said it come and flog me. Oh I forgot, you would have to come down to Nigeria to do that.

Dear NID, I think I should stop here for now, as I strongly suspect that I am beginning to ramble.

Yours sincerely,
Nigerian in Nigeria
Atilola Moronfolu

http://www.hattylolla.com/2013/01/dear-nigerian-in-diaspora.html

54 Likes

Re: A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora by ebamma(m): 12:19am On Feb 14, 2013
Another PDP mouthpiece don join us, thanks for the epistle,which level u dey u be thieving priest or thieving politician?

11 Likes

Re: A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora by thaoriginator: 12:20am On Feb 14, 2013
Damn angry so cloes, next time sha! cool
Re: A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora by thaoriginator: 12:21am On Feb 14, 2013
ebamma: .
angry
Re: A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora by ifihearam: 12:23am On Feb 14, 2013
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora by SilentCrescendo: 12:24am On Feb 14, 2013
Baseless.... undecided undecided undecided

3 Likes

Re: A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora by Nobody: 12:24am On Feb 14, 2013
nonsense

3 Likes

Re: A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora by Rgp92: 12:24am On Feb 14, 2013

1 Like

Re: A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora by Allisonrichy(m): 12:27am On Feb 14, 2013
Very interesting...guess i'm the 3rd to coment...wooooowsmiley8-) dancing alingo
Re: A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora by MacDaddy01: 12:28am On Feb 14, 2013
The fact that you believe in the God of Moses puts you as a problem worse than the Nigerians in diaspora.

I understand your other points though. As a Nigerian in diaspora, I still believe that Nigeria can be better. We all have to work together to do it and not sit back for some Jewish God (Yahweh) or some Arab god (Allah) to solve our problems.

The first things to do are to tackle the 3 fundamental problems
-Roads
-Electricity
-Education

However, how do we achieve this when people like you would rather pray and expect some racist god to help you? Instead of saving money for better purposes, people donate money to pastors to buy private jets. I am not even going to talk about what the muslims are doing in the north......

In summary, I agree with your point that NID's shouldnt unjustly criticise people in Nigeria but I disagree with two issues.
-Not all NID's do not want to relocate and help Nigeria
-Religion is one of our problems- how can you believe in a god that continuously fails to help your country?

I dont believe in god and neithr should many Nigerians. Why not focus on the things you can do and see? The better things in life? Self improvement?

Do you know how islam and christianity came to Nigeria? SLAVERY.

12 Likes

Re: A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora by Nobody: 12:29am On Feb 14, 2013
OP - OUT OF POINT

It seems like you have an English test coming up, so you decided to practice your letter writing skills here on nairaland.

It's allowed.

8 Likes

Re: A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora by simmydebadest(m): 12:30am On Feb 14, 2013
Were u send by GEJ to write this?

7 Likes

Re: A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora by elopee3000(m): 12:33am On Feb 14, 2013
All What u said is good my brother all nigerians can not live in oyibo land allso all nigerians can not live in naija,but if u say better thing no good buy Apple juice made with bitter leaf juice,every body like better things,and Pls one day in ur life take à walk from your house by 3 am in thé morning to to your nearest destination in naija tell me about ur journey ,ka chineke mezie okwu

6 Likes

Re: A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora by MacLovington(m): 12:33am On Feb 14, 2013
I wonder how somebody that probably considers himself educated can generalise like this.

I don't personally know of any NID who has not taken his kids home to visit his/her parents/family.
People like Awo & Zik who helped to secure our independence got inspired to do so in diaspora.

Has it ever occured to you that NID have seen that you can achieve a lot with little resources and ingenuity (as their hosts have managed to do) and are seriously pained that we're wasting valuable time?

And by the way, does being an NID mean that you longer have freedom of expression?

4 Likes

Re: A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora by MEILYN(m): 12:34am On Feb 14, 2013
lol na wa oo,tins dey happen
Re: A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora by OYINBOGOJU(m): 12:34am On Feb 14, 2013
POSTER CAN YOU TELL US WHY IS EVERYTHING SWEPT UNDER CARPET

There is one giant country I would be most pleased to just fly over. It is not that Nigeria is not among the great nations of the world. On the contrary, the country is not only great but it is teeming, gracefully, with good people.

My problem has to do with fear. No, I am not afraid of Boko Haram. Faceless, mindless demons of mass-killing terrorists operate all over the world. Even massively-protected American citizens run for cover at the mere shout of '9 /11' by a five-year old kid playing in company with his peers.

My fear has nothing to do with crime and drug networks. Parallel governments that go by such frightening appellations as Gulf cartel, Los Zetas cartel ,Cali cartel, Los Rastrojos cartel and Medellin cartel operate far away from the country of my interest.

Take a trip to the Indian Ocean high seas, especially off the coast of Somalia if you think Nigerian pirates and kidnappers are world champions. Look beyond the shores of Nigeria if you are concerned about five-star performances from the most digitally sophisticated armed robbers on stage. My concern revolves specifically around fear of Nigerian cows, fear of the red carpet and fear of the unknown.

Have no illusion about it: There are cows in my own country as well. In fact, the cows in my country far outnumber the people. My problem is Nigerian cows are not ordinary; they are sacred. Sacred cows, my home Ministry of Agriculture had warned, do not produce milk for people's consumption; they milk the people dry.

Now dignitaries who are likely to welcome me at the Nigerian airport include governors (past and present), ministers, legislators, traditional rulers, politicians, military officers and even the cabal. Among them, there are too many sacred cows for comfort. And I am afraid, very afraid. Even Super Eagles' Chief Coach, Stephen Keshi, is afraid of sacred cows.

Then, imagine the dicey situation that my presidential jet managed to out manouvre the menace of the grazing cows terrorising Nigerian airports. The authorities would lay a red carpet for me to glamourise my reception.

There is hardly anything I dread more than the Nigerian carpet. Just anything in Nigeria can be swept under the carpet. Indeed, too many unresolved volatile issues in the country are know to have taken comfortable shelter under this internationally notorious national monument.

The reports of probes into earth-shaking scams like the $12 billion Gulf War oil windfall.
Independent Power Project have all been swept under the carpet.
Farouk/Otedola bribery allegation swept under carpet.
Malabu Oil deal swept under carpet.
Pension Fund scam swept under carpet.
Capital market scam swept under carpet.
Aviation probe swept under carpet.
Subsidy probe swept under carpet.
Abuja land scam probe swept under carpet.
Police pension probe swept under carpet.

More to come as i remember

4 Likes

Re: A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora by Nobody: 12:36am On Feb 14, 2013
Nigerians in Diaspora cant resist criticizing Nigeria, it is their home, their annoyance is because they feel the system pushed them out to the sufferings they undergo in the whiteman's country. We will have to understand and bear with them.

15 Likes

Re: A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora by Nobody: 12:36am On Feb 14, 2013
WHOMEVER HID MY POST. THUNDA FAYA YA YANSH.

3 Likes

Re: A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora by Nobody: 12:37am On Feb 14, 2013
I had a good laugh. grin grin grin

Lamentations of a deluded Nigerian. What positive story or side you want to highlight in a nation with abundant oil deposits without functioning refineries!
A nation with abundant gas reserve without power supply. A nation with competent folks here and there but being ruled by clueless morons. When you steal 213m dollars, you pay a fine of 1500 dollars!

Instead of demanding the clueless morons running your country down sit up, you wrote this piece of crap, no wonder the entire education system in the country is a piece of putrid $hit.

27 Likes

Re: A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora by MacDaddy01: 12:38am On Feb 14, 2013
Billyonaire: Nigerians in Diaspora cant resist criticizing Nigeria, it is their home, their annoyance is because they feel the system pushed them out to the sufferings they undergo in the whiteman's country. We will have to understand and bear with them.

I had high hopes for you.

You fall my hand with this post sad

2 Likes

Re: A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora by NaLaugh: 12:38am On Feb 14, 2013
Unnecessarily lengthy write up. You could have gotten your point across way more effectively with less than half your post.

That said, your assertions are for the most part 'whining'. At times it takes BEING outside of the box to see what is in the box.
Yes, some of us out here can be a tiny bit over-dramatic when it comes to Nigeria's plight.
However, in more cases than not, what's happening is the spade being called what it is.

We are all entitled to opinions, and yours isn't crazy far from the truth. Though the reality on ground is
at least 95% of the people you refer to as WE, and assume are on your 'team';
will take the next available flight the hell out of there if presented the opportunity.

9 Likes

Re: A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora by MEILYN(m): 12:39am On Feb 14, 2013
obadiah777: WHOMEVER HID MY POST. THUNDA FAYA YA YANSH.
person wey go ban u dey come
Re: A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora by Nobody: 12:39am On Feb 14, 2013
Prof Corruption: I had a good laugh. grin grin grin

Lamentations of a deluded Nigerian. What positive story or side you want to highlight in a nation with abundant oil deposits without functioning refineries!
A nation with abundant gas reserve without power supply. A nation with competent folks here and there but being ruled by clueless morons. When you steal 213m dollars, you pay a fine of 1500 dollars!

Instead of demanding the clueless morons running your country down sit up, you wrote this piece of crap, no wonder the entire education system in the country is a piece of putrid $hit.

You have a wonderful monika, it speaks volumes. Why dont you come and contest for elective positions, cos its like we all back home are morons.

2 Likes

Re: A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora by Nobody: 12:40am On Feb 14, 2013
MacDaddy01:

I had high hopes for you.

You fall my hand with this post sad
Like I give a f/u/c/k ? I guess you are a Diasora Nigerian and you need to tame those toilet cleaners who insult our country on internet.

1 Like

Re: A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora by OmoEziokwu: 12:42am On Feb 14, 2013
apache77: Why are you the ones that always hammer on the fact that we here are the stupidly religious ones? That we all follow our pastors like blind fools?

Because most Nigerians in Nigeria are that exactly. You really can't blame them since they don't know any alternatives to such blind "followership".

apache77: And if you are a NID because your parents stole our commonwealth, sent you out to have a better life, and you in turn, pay us back by trying to kill our spirit with your hope-sucking statements, thereby making me spend time to write this letter which would most likely generate comments I would rather not deal with my way, well… since I have no power to do anything to you, I leave you for God to judge. That is not because I am meek like Moses, it is because I really have no power to do anything to you – at least, for now.

It is true that parents of many NIDs stole the country's commonwealth, but realize that not all NIDs are beneficiaries of such. For some their parents worked hard to earn their pay and are in some cases as parents, regretting that they themselves stayed back in the contraption called Nigeria, and would ensure that their wards do not suffer the same fate. TRUTH!
Re: A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora by MacDaddy01: 12:42am On Feb 14, 2013
Billyonaire: Like I give a f/u/c/k ? I guess you are a Diasora Nigerian and you need to tame those toilet cleaners who insult our country on internet.

What if I told you that I'm actually one of the few rich Nigerians in diaspora?
Re: A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora by Nobody: 12:44am On Feb 14, 2013
MEILYN:
person wey go ban u dey come
BANNING ME WILL BE A GOOD THING. I NEED TO DETACH FROM THIS ADDICTION. 'CRETINS' ERMM 'MODS' BAN ME ALREADY angry grin
Re: A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora by pastorbanky: 12:44am On Feb 14, 2013
nice one i thought i was the only that believed in nigeria, may God bless nigeria.
Re: A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora by Nobody: 12:45am On Feb 14, 2013
MacDaddy01:

What if I told you that I'm actually one of the few rich Nigerians in diaspora?
Congratulations then, perhaps its why you have not vented your annoyance on Nigeria yet, you really need to caution those Nigerians abroad who insult our collective nationhood and put us in bad light.

1 Like

Re: A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora by Dermie: 12:47am On Feb 14, 2013
STory story.
Re: A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora by Nobody: 12:49am On Feb 14, 2013
LMFAO......priceless!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Vatsa’s Son To Buhari To Resign From Politics, / Ajimobi Repairs Asejire Water Plant 17 Years After It Has Been Moribund / Over 5000 Bags Of Rice Rots Away In Nigerian Customs Warehouse.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.