Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,476 members, 7,808,731 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:03 PM

Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. (13957 Views)

Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? / Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent / Chris Oyaks Embarks On 40 Days Fasting And Prayer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by prairie(f): 5:01pm On Feb 17, 2013
binger: Thank u my sister,this is enlightening.
However,if i stop being conscious of sin,wouldn't that make me treat sin with levity?
what she meant was for us to be wary of sin and soon enough we would'nt have a problem saying no to temptation
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by holyvirgin: 5:05pm On Feb 17, 2013
Shollypopz: What is going on here?? What are y'all fasting for?? What religion is this fasting meant for?? Is this some sort of NL group fasting >> hella weird!
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Dextra(f): 5:05pm On Feb 17, 2013
binger: Thank u my sister,this is enlightening.
However,if i stop being conscious of sin,wouldn't that make me treat sin with levity?
I am not a Spiritual Scholar, but from the much I know. You can be said to treat sin with levity if you intentionally do things that you know are wrong, saying "afterall, I'll ask for forgiveness and God will forgive me" The issue is not whether you will be forgiven or not but How does those evil acts affect your life and future. Just focus on doing good which is best shown through Love.
For instance, someone may be having premarital sex and always pray for forgiveness and yet continues to do it. Question is: how does that act affect you life? When you have sex you will be living in fear of disease and getting pregnant, but what of the relief you have when you are not doing it? No fear, no guilt, good quality of life!
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by prairie(f): 5:06pm On Feb 17, 2013
binger: Very true...just like the Bible said it.
I asked because it was asserted by a friend,who happens to be Catholic, that once u sin in this period,no mercy.

I have another question...When you are forgiven for committing a particular sin,do u go without being punished?
we call it penance, d priest may ask u to say a couple of our fathers or hail marys or glory bes
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 5:07pm On Feb 17, 2013
prairie: what she meant was for us to be wary of sin and soon enough we would'nt have a problem saying no to temptation
Hmm...i see
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Dextra(f): 5:09pm On Feb 17, 2013
holyvirgin: @op, its good you chose to go on food fasting,I remember when I was younger, my sister used to be a fashion freak and can't go without makeups, so when lent came she chose to focus on God and halt at makeups.
She completed the lent without makeups which was quite difficult but the grace of God abounds.
Back in school,My roommate spends more on recharge cards let say 4 a week he spends as much as 5000, but he actually 'fasted on cards' he spent let say 2000 on cards and 3000 on almsgiving.
As christians we must not neccessarily go on food fasting, sometimes those habits that are crushing us as christians, let's fast on them, ao that after 40days just like christ we may overcome temptations.
Godbless us
You are right my friend. Fasting means depriving your body of needs and building up your inner man which is the Spirit. I really don't live in so much luxury and I rarely care for the things in life. I choose to Live for today only. All is Vanity.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 5:09pm On Feb 17, 2013
holyvirgin:
Weird? Then you have no business being here! The thread is for catholic faithfuls who are sharing their experience about lent.
I aint a Catholic oh. I guess am nt allowed here,..
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 5:09pm On Feb 17, 2013
binger: Very true...just like the Bible said it.
I asked because it was asserted by a friend,who happens to be Catholic, that once u sin in this period,no mercy.

I have another question...When you are forgiven for committing a particular sin,do u go without being punished?
No, you are assigned a penance..
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Dextra(f): 5:11pm On Feb 17, 2013
binger: I aint a Catholic oh. I guess am nt allowed here,..
I am not a Catholic either grin I am just a Christian. A practical Christian though.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Dextra(f): 5:12pm On Feb 17, 2013
My Thread made Front Page!!!! I am so Pleased. Thanks MOD smiley
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by jamp: 5:13pm On Feb 17, 2013
holyvirgin:
Weird? Then you have no business being here! The thread is for catholic faithfuls who are sharing their experience about lent.

Is not only for catholics , other denomination obsrve lent too.

So this thread should be for all who observe lent.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by ChyV(f): 5:15pm On Feb 17, 2013
ooman: You guys are just suffering yourself.

free yourself, eat and drink with your families. it is a waste of time to fast, there is no god to answer.

may God have mercy on u and 4give u bcs u dnt knw wat u are saying.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 5:16pm On Feb 17, 2013
ItsModella:
No, you are assigned a penance..
What then is the purpose of forgiveness if u don't go unpunished?
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 5:18pm On Feb 17, 2013
binger: What they is the purpose of forgiveness if u don't go unpunished?
penance is the punishment one undergoes to show remorse or penitence for a sin..
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by jamp: 5:20pm On Feb 17, 2013
Whatever u practiced this lenten period should be carried over beyound lent. Lent is there to assist us in changing our lives for better.

Eg if u take 3 bottles of star every week and cos of lent u reduced it to 1 bottle, after lent it it expected u continue wit that one bottle instead of going back to 3 bottles.

May God help Amen

2 Likes

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 5:21pm On Feb 17, 2013
prairie: we call it penance, d priest may ask u to say a couple of our fathers or hail marys or glory bes
Well,am not catholic,so we don't do penance.
Btw,how does saying copious 'Our father' ,'hail Mary' etc,cleanse ur sin or grant u forgiveness?
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by holyvirgin: 5:21pm On Feb 17, 2013
shocked shocked shocked
jamp:

Is not only for catholics , other denomination obsrve lent too.

So this thread should be for all who observe lent.
Honestly I don't know other denominations observe lent.
Forgive my ignorance. Wow, its good then, I will have to modify my post
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by ooman(m): 5:23pm On Feb 17, 2013
Dextra:
Did you say "There is no god to answer?"
Well, my dear..."The fool has said in his heart there is no God".
I have felt the very existence of God in my life, even as a child I had experiences too. If you seek Him you will definitely find Him. Let me share one experience with you. I went through financial constraint while in post secondary school. I resumed school after paying my school fees with the money I had been saving since I graduated from high school. I resumed with a bag, a bucket and just #60 Naira. Several weeks after that, I didn't have kerosene in my stove to cook and I couldn't go on begging from neighbors. I had always had Faith in God's ability so I was forced to put it to work. For complete 10 days I cooked on a stove without kerosene. i just refuse to open it or acknowledge that it was dry, I just lit it and cook the little I had. Until, my brother sent me some money, I went to the market and bought kerosene. I lit the stove and it died within few seconds. My dear, I don't believe in God based on what I was told or what I have heard but What I know. Though I'm not a Catholic, I remember as a child the encounter I had with the Rosary and I may tell you if you want to hear it.
Just ask God to reveal Himself to You, He will. Seek Him and you shall find Him.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 5:24pm On Feb 17, 2013
ItsModella:
penance is the punishment one undergoes to show remorse or penitence for a sin..
So,the belief is that if you say 'Our Father' many times,u're being remorsful and undergoing pain(punishment)?

@Dextra...thank you sister. I got ur point.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by sammmiey1: 5:25pm On Feb 17, 2013
wazobia_for_u:

Can you plz support this fact with the holy Bible?

Always open to learn
Mathew 12:32
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by omiobo: 5:25pm On Feb 17, 2013
Mine is already 10.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by sammmiey1: 5:25pm On Feb 17, 2013
[quote author=wazobia_for_u]

Can you plz support this fact with the holy Bible?

Always open to learn[/quot]Mathew 12:32
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by akatonero(m): 5:27pm On Feb 17, 2013
I work night though its not easy especially in this part of the world.temptation everywere but i thank God for His faithfulness.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 5:28pm On Feb 17, 2013
binger: So,the belief is that if you say 'Our Father' many times,u're being remorsful and undergoing pain(punishment)?

@Dextra...thank you sister. I got ur point.
no, penance is not always about praying the rosary, it depends on the priest you are confessing to and the sins you've committed. It can range from praying the rosary to doing good to someone or even apologizing to the person you offended.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by holyvirgin: 5:29pm On Feb 17, 2013
Shollypopz:
I know I hv no business on this thread, I was about to un-follow the darn thread until u quoted me. Now, I plan to torment you religious folks and derail the hell out of it. Apologize!
Enjoy yourself if that's the only thing that will make you happy my non religious folk.
Weird nairalanders
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by omiobo: 5:29pm On Feb 17, 2013
Shollypopz:
I know I hv no business on this thread, I was about to un-follow the darn thread until u quoted me. Now, I plan to torment you religious folks and derail the hell out of it. Apologize!
who is this? An angel or a serpent?
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 5:32pm On Feb 17, 2013
ItsModella:
no, penance is not always about praying the rosary, it depends on the priest you are confessing to and the sins you've committed. It can range from praying the rosary to doing good to someone or even apologizing to the person you offended.
Okaaay...i see.
i never knew you're a Christian sha tongue
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by holyvirgin: 5:32pm On Feb 17, 2013
aka tonero: I work night though its not easy especially in this part of the world.temptation everywere but i thank God for His faithfulness.
God will help you overcome all temptations just hold on and don't give up.
Godbless
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by omiobo: 5:36pm On Feb 17, 2013
[quote author=Shollypopz]
Both! *evil grin*

Jesus!!!
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by k2039: 5:38pm On Feb 17, 2013
ItsModella:
For the sake of peace, I'm gonna be calm about this. If you do not believe in something, that's fine. Do not insult the people who do, that's taking it too far.
Are you a catholic?.
Definitely a yes, I thought as much.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Catholic Tradition Above The Bible: Is That Safe? / Family Denies Holding Son Captive For Renouncing Islam / 7 Ways To Practice Effective Evangelism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.