Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:33 AM

Why So Much Hype About February 14th? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why So Much Hype About February 14th? (6179 Views)

February 14th.Lovers Day or Devil's day? / Must We Wait Till February 14th Before Celebrating Love? / February 14th (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by eyenCalabar(m): 12:39am On Feb 14, 2013
Personally, I don't like following the bandwagon. For the mere fact that more than half of the world population think Valentine celebrations worth it doesn't means that it right. I've always wondered if anyone here have paused to ask question about this over-hyped Valentine Day thing. I've never seen any thread here seeking to ask questions about Val either. Rather, everybody is thinking and suggesting to others how to make their long awaited Val Day worthwhile. Well, for me, I've heard stories that the government at the time of Father Valentine made a Decree forbidding young men to get married but rather to join the army. But Father Valentine not knowing to the government was secretly conducting marriages and charging fees too. So the government heard about this and ordered his arrest. He was immediately put behind bars and allowed to rot in jail. Today, he is celebrated as one who died for love! The question now is: If this story is true, does this man worth celebrating? Did he actually died for love or for his own self interest? Even if the story is not true, and he actually died for love, is what he did greater than what Jesus Christ did? Can't we be celebrating Jesus Christ everyday? Is Val celebration really justified?

You may also like:
https://www.nairaland.com/1185155/introducing-intermediary-service-businesses-nl
Buy/Sale on Nairaland without getting scammed

15 Likes

Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by ITbomb(m): 1:00am On Feb 14, 2013
fittty: sad For 2weeks now these childish moderators no let us hear anything. All we see on the front page is valentine topics like say we dey secondary school undecided... . **SMDH** angry

2 Likes

Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by code0: 7:07am On Feb 14, 2013
So the man sef was a catholic? And Val is celebrated even by others. The world is doomed.
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by inspirenet: 7:20am On Feb 14, 2013
ITbomb:

undecided
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by Nobody: 8:26am On Feb 14, 2013
I'm shocked that this topic hasn't made the front page. I thought all Valentine topics make front page? Why not this?
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by vicoloni(m): 8:27am On Feb 14, 2013
This is the only sensible post on Valentine I have seen in recent times. Vals day is a useless imported culture that has ruined many lives. I remember how I almost deflowered a young girl due to peer pressure over this overhyped thing. We were both 13 and too young to understand the stupidity of what we were about doing.

Parents be wary of your children's activities today. Husbands open your eyes wide over your wives and vice versa.

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by oluwadare26(m): 8:48am On Feb 14, 2013
eyenCalabar: Personally, I don't like following the bandwagon. For the mere fact that more than half of the world population think Valentine celebrations worth it doesn't means that it right. I've always wondered if anyone here have paused to ask question about this over-hyped Valentine Day thing. I've never seen any thread here seeking to ask questions about Val either. Rather, everybody is thinking and suggesting to others how to make their long awaited Val Day worthwhile. Well, for me, I've heard stories that the government at the time of Father Valentine made a Decree forbidding young men to get married but rather to join the army. But Father Valentine not knowing to the government was secretly conducting marriages and charging fees too. So the government heard about this and ordered his arrest. He was immediately put behind bars and allowed to rot in jail. Today, he is celebrated as one who died for love! The question now is: If this story is true, does this man worth celebrating? Did he actually died for love or for his own self interest? Even if the story is not true, and he actually died for love, is what he did greater than what Jesus Christ did? Can't we be celebrating Jesus Christ everyday? Is Val celebration really justified?

Shud u be told b4 u know dat Jesus Christ is celebrated daily! Mere calling him and asking 4 favour, he's celebrated!
And to the Val, With the story u just said, he's not worth celebrated yearly unless if his fight liberated d whole world 4rm ................
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by jhydebaba(m): 9:03am On Feb 14, 2013
St. Valentine's Day began as a liturgical celebration of one or more early Christian saints named Valentinus. The most popular martyrology associated with Saint Valentine was that he was imprisoned for performing weddings for soldiers who were forbidden to marry and for ministering to Christians, who were persecuted under the Roman Empire; during his imprisonment, he is said to have healed the daughter of his jailer shocked Asterius. Legend states that before his execution he wrote "from your Valentine"shocked shocked as a farewell to her.

Source: Google.

1 Like

Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by eyenCalabar(m): 9:04am On Feb 14, 2013
oluwadare26:

Shud u be told b4 u know dat Jesus Christ is celebrated daily! Mere calling him and asking 4 favour, he's celebrated!
And to the Val, With the story u just said, he's not worth celebrated yearly unless if his fight liberated d whole world 4rm ................

How is Jesus Christ celebrated everyday when more than half of the world population right now is singing and praising Father Valentine for the "wonderful" thing he did for them? Can there be any liberation greater than what our Lord Jesus did? I think we shouldn't just be accepting things without questioning.
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by usher3176: 10:19am On Feb 14, 2013
Apart from the ancient story of mr valentine,I think it's worth showing love to everyone today and celebrating each other today with all the evil and bombing from BH that we heard in recent times.for me I don't care where the story energies.i ll sure make my girl happy today
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by Godsun2013(m): 10:33am On Feb 14, 2013
Abeg help me ask dat question. No be say valentine die for us oo.
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by Gerardcole(m): 10:35am On Feb 14, 2013
Because Customers no dey gree buy Garri on valentine's day. And as such traders go strike.
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by yeye4live(m): 10:37am On Feb 14, 2013
Dis s my 1st val am doin in my life, infact am stil glue to my bed naw shocked
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by ukpaku: 10:38am On Feb 14, 2013
because it's been abused and misinterpreted.
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by penzino(m): 10:39am On Feb 14, 2013
Na children hype d tin pass oooooo.... All dis teenagers wey dey feel like say dem don arrive

2 Likes

Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by Desdola(m): 10:39am On Feb 14, 2013
It is celebrated to honour st valentine. The only problem is people are just misplacing d main reason for the celebration with wordly frivolities. Valentine did a good thing, even when in jail he healed his jailor's daughter.
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by slimming: 10:43am On Feb 14, 2013
No special about valentine, it is simply like other days.
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by kenkruse: 10:44am On Feb 14, 2013
Viewing this topic: Seun(m) cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by Okworigeorge(m): 10:44am On Feb 14, 2013
Jez a smart way of guys 2 get d ladies laid......b xpectn an increase in birth rate by novemba
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by usomine007(m): 10:45am On Feb 14, 2013
undecidedThe tin tire me O!!!
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by slap1(m): 10:52am On Feb 14, 2013
I knew a thread like this would come today, and I knew it would make front page.
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by uzeba(m): 10:53am On Feb 14, 2013
Never feel bad if u have no val on valentine's day,coz not everybody had AIDS on World Aidsday.

1 Like

Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by DJDOLA(m): 10:53am On Feb 14, 2013
I SAID WHAT IS SO SPECIAL ABOUT VALENTINE...AND SOME FOOLS SAID IS because I DONT HAVE GF THATS WHY I DONT NO WHAT VALS IS...IF TRULY U LOVED UR PATTENER THEN EVERYDAY IS A LOVE DAY...DONT WAIT TILL VAL DAY
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by Dee60: 10:54am On Feb 14, 2013
Idleness gives room to fantasies. lets draw the line between true love on one side and infatuation and erotic escapades on the other. Somehow, valentine has become popular for the latter.
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by Obie234: 10:55am On Feb 14, 2013
code_0: So the man sef was a catholic? And Val is celebrated even by others. The world is doomed.
God forgive me for saying this, but you just sounded like a fool. Where is the so called love we claim to pratice when people like you are so bias in your thoughts and your ways
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by mutaalim(m): 10:55am On Feb 14, 2013
@OP more power to your elbows, do they means only Feb 14 one should show love to one's partner in the whole year, am not saying boyfriend /girlfriend
Rubbish, Naivety, Puerility, Futility and Vacutity of the highest order. you av 2 show love to your wife/husband till ..............................

Rgds
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by omiobo: 10:56am On Feb 14, 2013
They should have named today a s..ex day.
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by ndividual: 11:03am On Feb 14, 2013
eyenCalabar: Personally, I don't like following the bandwagon. For the mere fact that more than half of the world population think Valentine celebrations worth it doesn't means that it right. I've always wondered if anyone here have paused to ask question about this over-hyped Valentine Day thing. I've never seen any thread here seeking to ask questions about Val either. Rather, everybody is thinking and suggesting to others how to make their long awaited Val Day worthwhile. Well, for me, I've heard stories that the government at the time of Father Valentine made a Decree forbidding young men to get married but rather to join the army. But Father Valentine not knowing to the government was secretly conducting marriages and charging fees too. So the government heard about this and ordered his arrest. He was immediately put behind bars and allowed to rot in jail. Today, he is celebrated as one who died for love! The question now is: If this story is true, does this man worth celebrating? Did he actually died for love or for his own self interest? Even if the story is not true, and he actually died for love, is what he did greater than what Jesus Christ did? Can't we be celebrating Jesus Christ everyday? Is Val celebration really justified?

Well, depends on who you ask. But by now everyone should know its mostly not about the day, but more about what benefit (commercial or not) you gain from it.

1) Boutiques and Gift shops sell out more items and eke out a profit, which helps in any recession. 'spread the love'? grin
2) Some people look forward to the day as the opportunity to rekindle their relationships (out of 365 undecided)
3) Probably enough love making to make the Sun, the moon and stars freeze over shocked.
4) Enough buzz and controversy over the same hashed topic year after year on NL (more bucks for you-know-who grin)

The list goes on I can't even scratch the surface.

To rephrase your question "Would the whole world give up what everything that Feb 14th provides simply to exercise whatever truth Feb 14th stood for"? there's your answer.
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by Okworigeorge(m): 11:03am On Feb 14, 2013
omiobo: They should have named today a s..ex day.
....hahaaa, no wonda enuf november pipo plenty
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by sledge001(m): 11:06am On Feb 14, 2013
Hmm. its really sad and pitiful. If u look around the world today, u'll realise that people are moved by senseless, unreasonable immoral and negative stuffs so its not quite suprising that a lot of people still wallow in this "vals" stupidity. its just juvenile. May God help us all.
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by MMM2(m): 11:06am On Feb 14, 2013
Op

Let me google it undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerians Blasts Facebook User For Posting Unclad Toilet Pictures (see Photos) / I'm Dead!!!... Guys Please How Do I Explain This To Her ?? / See What A Girl Posted On Facebook, What Is Wrong With It? (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.