Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,484 members, 7,781,451 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:36 PM

No Hope For African Pope - Benedict's Brother. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / No Hope For African Pope - Benedict's Brother. (1031 Views)

This Man Believes He Is Jesus Christ...pope Benedict Him. / Pope Benedict XVI To Resign / Pope Benedict To Resign (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Hope For African Pope - Benedict's Brother. by SGRACE1(m): 6:19am On Feb 14, 2013
Pope Benedict’s elder brother, the Rev. Georg Ratzinger has given insight into why the coveted position of Catholic Pontiff may elude Africa as the Church begins the process of appointing a new pope. Much speculation has focused on whether Benedict’s successor might come from Africa or Latin America, rather than Europe, where Roman Catholic congregations are shrinking.

The pope’s brother, the Rev. Georg Ratzinger, speaking in Regensburg, Germany, said he expected to see a pope chosen from outside Europe one day but not just yet. “I’m certain a pope will come from the new continents but whether it will be now, I have my doubts,” he said. “In Europe, we have many very able people, and the Africans are still not so well known and maybe do not have the experience yet.”

Among those considered frontrunners for the role are Cardinal Angelo Scola, archbishop of Milan; Canadian Cardinal Marc Ouellet, who heads the Vatican’s office of bishops; Cardinal Leonardo Sandri, an Argentinian, Cardinal Peter Turkson of Ghana and Cardinal Francis Arinze of Nigeria. Whoever gets the nod, the selection of a new pontiff is expected to go smoothly. “We’re not going to have a problem of two competing popes. If Pope Benedict still wanted to have influence, he wouldn’t have stepped down,” said senior Vatican communications adviser Greg Burke. While not quite unprecedented, Benedict’s resignation is certainly historic.

The last pope to step down before his death was Gregory XII, who in 1415 quit to end a civil war within the church in which more than one man claimed to be pope.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/cover/no-hope-for-african-pope-benedicts-brother/
Re: No Hope For African Pope - Benedict's Brother. by Princewell2012(m): 9:56am On Feb 14, 2013
I'm not surprise atall, and i have said it before, africa will never be ordain as pope, they are just deceiving us, a white man will never allow an african to get to that level, believe me they are only playing politics among themselves. God is not a respecter of any person.
Re: No Hope For African Pope - Benedict's Brother. by Ubenedictus(m): 11:44am On Feb 14, 2013
S.GRACE:
The Pope's elder brothe Rev. Georg, has given insight as to why the coveted post of a puntif might elude Africa http://sunnewsonline.com/new/cover/no-hope-for-african-pope-benedicts-brother/
d church isnt about race, so d sectarianism u are advocating wont work. When an african is seen to posses d qualities dat distinguish him among his peers he will b elected.
Re: No Hope For African Pope - Benedict's Brother. by Ubenedictus(m): 11:45am On Feb 14, 2013
Princewell2012: I'm not surprise atall, and i have said it before, africa will never be ordain as pope, they are just deceiving us, a white man will never allow an african to get to that level, believe me they are only playing politics among themselves. God is not a respecter of any person.
there have already been african pope, i think 3 of them.
Re: No Hope For African Pope - Benedict's Brother. by MacDaddy01: 11:46am On Feb 14, 2013
Ubenedictus: d church isnt about race, so d sectarianism u are advocating wont work. When an african is seen to posses d qualities dat distinguish him among his peers he will b elected.

In the same sentence, you claimed that the catholic church is not about race but Africans have inferior qualities to be popes.

Madness
Re: No Hope For African Pope - Benedict's Brother. by Ubenedictus(m): 12:30pm On Feb 14, 2013
MacDaddy01:

In the same sentence, you claimed that the catholic church is not about race but Africans have inferior qualities to be popes.
Madness
u failure to understand a particular position doesnt make it madness! It is about race but qualities and if an african posses such he will be elected. I never said anything abt "africans been inferior".
Re: No Hope For African Pope - Benedict's Brother. by MacDaddy01: 12:40pm On Feb 14, 2013
Ubenedictus: u failure to understand a particular position doesnt make it madness! It is about race but qualities and if an african posses such he will be elected. I never said anything abt "africans been inferior".

Why European whites posses these qualities not Africans?
Re: No Hope For African Pope - Benedict's Brother. by Ubenedictus(m): 1:59pm On Feb 14, 2013
MacDaddy01:

Why European whites posses these qualities not Africans?

u are attacking ur own strawman. I never said d white has some qualities blacks didnt have.
Re: No Hope For African Pope - Benedict's Brother. by MacDaddy01: 2:05pm On Feb 14, 2013
Ubenedictus: u are attacking ur own strawman. I never said d white has some qualities blacks didnt have.

There have been white European popes.

You said that when the African gets some particular qualities, the will become popes.

You cant run away from this
Re: No Hope For African Pope - Benedict's Brother. by Ubenedictus(m): 2:14pm On Feb 14, 2013
Run away from what
MacDaddy01:
You said that when the African gets some particular qualities, the will become popes.
read in context! I respond to someone who was grading d next pope by race and i said race isnt the criteria! Instead d pope must posses certain qualities and if an african posses such he will be elected. U have turned this into a white vs black arguement, d very tin i advocated against. Anyone whether black, white, pink, yellow, brown or red stands a chance of been d next pope in asmuch has he posseses d right quality.

1 Like

Re: No Hope For African Pope - Benedict's Brother. by Ubenedictus(m): 2:14pm On Feb 14, 2013
Run away from what
MacDaddy01:
read in context! I responded to someone who was grading d next pope by race and i said race isnt the criteria! Instead d pope must posses certain qualities and if an african posses such he will be elected. U have turned this into a white vs black arguement, d very tin i advocated against. Anyone whether black, white, pink, yellow, brown or red stands a chance of been d next pope in asmuch has he posseses d right quality.
Re: No Hope For African Pope - Benedict's Brother. by MacDaddy01: 2:17pm On Feb 14, 2013
Ubenedictus: Run away from what read in context! I respond to someone who was grading d next pope by race and i said race isnt the criteria! Instead d pope must posses certain qualities and if an african posses such he will be elected. U have turned this into a white vs black arguement, d very tin i advocated against. Anyone whether black, white, pink, yellow, brown or red stands a chance of been d next pope in asmuch has he posseses d right quality.

Seriously? You cant see the flaw in your comment?
Re: No Hope For African Pope - Benedict's Brother. by tpia5: 4:48pm On Feb 14, 2013
can someone explain to me in clear terms, why the pope needs to be black.

i'm yet to get it.
Re: No Hope For African Pope - Benedict's Brother. by scarred: 5:07pm On Feb 14, 2013
tpia@:

i'm yet to get it.

Yes, I was just about to ask the same thing, what does a black pope confer to you. Will this some how affirm your faith, will it make it more likely that you'll travel to the Vatican. What exactly is this stake in a Black Pope?
Re: No Hope For African Pope - Benedict's Brother. by proo212(m): 9:32pm On Feb 14, 2013
The next Pope will not be African. I feel Angelo Scola will be the next Pope. The issue is that the African cardinals are very "conservative" and the church wants to be all-inclusive to everybody. Are we about pleasing the population of the church so that we have the numbers and dumb down the doctrine or are we focussed on preaching the unadulterated the word of God....

Even the South American and Asian cardinals are perhaps more conservative than their European counterparts.

They can make all sorts of excuses about the Africans not being ready and some of us mights see racism at play but the its deeper than that. Its going to be about populist vote and who is seen to be building bridges. My 0.02 cents.
Re: No Hope For African Pope - Benedict's Brother. by jimino(m): 9:57pm On Feb 14, 2013
Funny enof most of u wanting an african pope r nt catholic. Y do such wana create confusion. As Catholics nd christians in general jst pray dat God's wil b done. Dnt allow d devil 2 use u 2 create confusion among christians. Tank U
Re: No Hope For African Pope - Benedict's Brother. by Ubenedictus(m): 10:18am On Feb 15, 2013
MacDaddy01:

Seriously? You cant see the flaw in your comment?
which flaw is that?
Re: No Hope For African Pope - Benedict's Brother. by Ubenedictus(m): 10:18am On Feb 15, 2013
tpia@:

i'm yet to get it.
gud request.
Re: No Hope For African Pope - Benedict's Brother. by proo212(m): 1:14pm On Feb 20, 2013
The African cardinal widely tipped to be the first black pope in modern history faced a firestorm of criticism last night after he laid the blame for clerical sex abuse crises at the feet of gay priests.
Cardinal Peter Turkson, who comes from Ghana, told an American journalist that similar sex scandals would never convulse churches in Africa because the culture was inimical to homosexuality.
‘African traditional systems kind of protect or have protected its population against this tendency,’ he told Christiane Amanpour of CNN.
‘Because in several communities, in several cultures in Africa homosexuality or for that matter any affair between two sexes of the same kind, are not countenanced in our society,’ he continued.
‘So that cultural taboo, that tradition has been there,’ said Cardinal Turkson, 64. ‘It has served to keep it out.’
As the head of a major Vatican department – the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace - Cardinal Turkson is ranked as the 5/2 second favourite to take the papal crown when a Conclave of Cardinals meets next month to elect a successor to Pope Benedict XVI, who announced his abdication last week on the grounds of ill health
Catholics throughout the African continent and the developing world are praying that he will be chosen ahead of the Italian Cardinal Angelo Scola, the Archbishop of Milan, who Paddy Power has made its 9/4 favourite.
But his public comments blaming homosexual priests in for the sexual abuse of many hundreds of children in Europe, the United States and Australia mean his election would be severely criticised in the West.

Ruth Hunt, Stonewall director of public affairs, was among those to swiftly condemn his remarks.
‘Cardinal Turkson’s comments show a surprisingly callous disregard for the human rights of millions of people worldwide,’ she told the Times.
The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests accused the cardinal of hiding behind a ‘weak shield’.

A spokesman said: ‘We hear less about clergy sex crimes and cover ups in Africa for the same reasons we do throughout the developing world - there tends to be lesser funding for law enforcement, less vigorous civil justice systems, less independent journalism, and an even greater power and wealth difference between church officials and their congregants.’
But one NHS psychiatrist who has researched the field of clerical sex abuse agreed with the cardinal that homosexual abuse of adolescent males rather than paedophile attacks on children characterised the problem.

‘I would say he is correct,’ said the doctor, who asked not to be named in fear of reprisals - including the loss of his job.
‘Where the research has been done – for example in the United States and Australia – in the region of 80 per cent of the victims of sex abuse by priests are adolescent males rather than children.’
Pope Benedict XVI has been careful to avoid publicly demonising gay priests over the crisis, focusing instead on meeting and apologising to victims.
Very soon into his pontificate, however, he tightened up the Church’s recruitment rules to make it nearly impossible for gay men to enter seminaries as trainee priests.
In a possible further indication of the Vatican thinking, one of his most senior cardinals also laid the blame for the abuse crisis squarely at the feet of gay priests.
Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, the Vatican Secretary of State – and the 5/1 third favourite to succeed Benedict XVI - said that some psychiatrists had found a relationship between homosexuality and paedophilia.
‘That is the problem,’ he said.
Amid the backlash, the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales issued a statement contradicting the cardinal by arguing that ‘there is no empirical data which concludes that sexual orientation is connected to child sexual abuse’.
Cardinal Turkson is no stranger to controversy, having offended Muslims last year by accusing them of turning Europe into an Islamic continent. This is another minus against him

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2281411/Cardinal-Peter-Turkson-blames-gay-priests-abuse-scandals-facing-Catholic-church.html

7/1 Cardinal Angelo Scola, 71
Elevated to become Archbishop of Milan by Benedict XVI
Significant views: Wants to work more closely with Islam and support Christians in the Middle East

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2276884/Pope-Benedict-XVI-resigns-First-Pontiff-600-years-stand-longer-strength-carry-on.html

You have to read between the lines guys. I hope I'm wrong and i will be the first to put my hands up when a new Pope is elected. Angelo Scola is now favourite (he wasnt before) after 9 days

(1) (Reply)

Why Did God Give Mankind Brain? The Unbelieveable Facts! / A Warning To God. / Have U Ever Felt Like God Has Abandoned You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.