Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,329 members, 7,808,105 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:18 AM

Do You Consider Her As Igbo - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do You Consider Her As Igbo (1609 Views)

Do You Consider Romanians As White? / Do You Consider Somalis As Black? / Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Consider Her As Igbo by Nobody: 12:23pm On Feb 14, 2013
If a girl is Igbo, but born and raised in London - she speaks Igbo, knows the igbo culture etc well - do you consider her as Igbo?

this is me, but sometimes i feel like an outsider
Re: Do You Consider Her As Igbo by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:55pm On Feb 14, 2013
ofcourse. is this even a question?

however today most igbos are only 95% Igbo. only Igbos that follow Odinani Religion are 100% Igbo.
Re: Do You Consider Her As Igbo by Nobody: 3:28pm On Feb 14, 2013
IgboUK: If a girl is Igbo, but born and raised in London - she speaks Igbo, knows the igbo culture etc well - do you consider her as Igbo?

YES, you are IGBO!
What makes you feel like an outsider?
Do you relate with other igbo peeps outside your family? Do you have igbo friends?
Do you visit home? How often?
It's all about your state of mind."IGBO GIRL state of mind". Do you have that?
Whatever babe, I bu ezigbo nwa ada Igbo. 100%
Re: Do You Consider Her As Igbo by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:40pm On Feb 14, 2013
kwangi: YES, you are IGBO!
What makes you feel like an outsider?
Do you relate with other igbo peeps outside your family? Do you have igbo friends?
Do you visit home? How often?
It's all about your state of mind."IGBO GIRL state of mind". Do you have that?
Whatever babe, I bu ezigbo nwa ada Igbo. 100%

do you follow Odinani Religon? if not, then you are 95% Igbo.
Re: Do You Consider Her As Igbo by Rgp92: 3:51pm On Feb 14, 2013
IgboUK: If a girl is Igbo, but born and raised in London - she speaks Igbo, knows the igbo culture etc well - do you consider her as Igbo?

If you feel like an outsider, then you're not Igbo but british.
Re: Do You Consider Her As Igbo by tpia5: 4:54pm On Feb 14, 2013
are your parents not igbo, or why the question?

you can start by learning igbo so you can feel more "among".

there's a thread somewhere here teaching igbo language.
Re: Do You Consider Her As Igbo by oturugo(m): 6:20pm On Feb 14, 2013

If you feel you are not Igbo then you are not Igbo. The Igbo people do not go about begging people to be Igbo. To be Igbo is a thing of pride.
If you are not proud to be Igbo, then kiss goodbye to Igbo and stop all this silly questions. Even third generation Indians raised in the U.K hardly ask this silly questions about their ethnicity.
In fact, you are not Igbo, goodbye and leave us alone. Nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Her As Igbo by Nobody: 7:04pm On Feb 14, 2013
There's another thread by her on this same issue but it's couched differently. I thought she had a real problem.
Re: Do You Consider Her As Igbo by achi4u(m): 6:08am On Feb 17, 2013
nne iburo "anu elu" iburo "anu ala",So, you are not Igbo and you are not british,you are at the middle of the oceangrin

Sorry u are Nwada IGBO!
Re: Do You Consider Her As Igbo by odumchi: 3:47pm On Feb 17, 2013

Kedu ihe mere o ji diri gi otu a?
Re: Do You Consider Her As Igbo by Abagworo(m): 5:27pm On Feb 17, 2013
In Nigerian culture even if you can't utter a word in a language and you were not born there, only your father's origin is considered as your tribe and home. So you are Igbo but trying to deny the obvious makes you a victim of self-denial.
Re: Do You Consider Her As Igbo by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:30pm On Feb 17, 2013
to belong to a tribe, you must be full-blooded from it.
Re: Do You Consider Her As Igbo by bigfrancis21: 8:58pm On Feb 17, 2013

@Bolded: That alone is a big identifier of your Igbo descent. Some Igbo people born and raised in the diaspora speak little or no Igbo but you speak it. Congrats! That alone is a big achievement on your own part. With that you can never feel left out in an Igbo gathering or when around Igbo people.
As for your feeling left out, I understand how you feel given that you've lived all your life in a foreign land and have never spent quality time in Igboland to experience what it is like living in Igboland, being around your own people (the feeling alone is wonderful), walking down the street and hearing Igbo spoken around you and all over the place, waking up to the serenity and accolades of the village life, etc. This is where I feel your lack of connection comes in. So many of us take these things for granted. I get to realize this whenever I travel out of Igboland for sometime. Then I yearn to return again, at least for the feel of it.
My advice to you will be to visit Igboland frequently and spend some time around. Places like Enugu, Awka, Owerri etc are very peaceful, Enugu especially. At least visit if you can't return permanently. I tell you with one or two visits you feel connected again and your feelings of being lost will definitely go away.
Re: Do You Consider Her As Igbo by bigfrancis21: 9:01pm On Feb 17, 2013
Abagworo: In Nigerian culture even if you can't utter a word in a language and you were not born there, only your father's origin is considered as your tribe and home. So you are Igbo but trying to deny the obvious makes you a victim of self-denial.
She never said she was denying her Igbo heritage!! She only said she feels like an outsider! angry
Did you even take time to understand her story before spitting out those things you blurted? Some people self.
Re: Do You Consider Her As Igbo by Abagworo(m): 8:16am On Feb 18, 2013
bigfrancis21:
She never said she was denying her Igbo heritage!! She only said she feels like an outsider! angry
Did you even take time to understand her story before spitting out those things you blurted? Some people self.

So why the attack? I told her about Nigerian culture and what's the meaning of feeling like an outsider in your house?
Re: Do You Consider Her As Igbo by bigfrancis21: 10:03am On Feb 18, 2013
Abagworo:

So why the attack? I told her about Nigerian culture and what's the meaning of feeling like an outsider in your house?

I guess you missed that part.
Re: Do You Consider Her As Igbo by Abagworo(m): 10:47am On Feb 18, 2013
bigfrancis21:

I guess you missed that part.

So as I was born and raised in Rivers State, it means I should feel like an outsider in my village. In her case, she even speaks the language. The truth is that societies outside Nigeria have different culture of origin as compared with us. For example if Obama was in Nigeria, we'd still regard him as a Kenyan no matter what he does including having a Nigerian mother.
Re: Do You Consider Her As Igbo by bigfrancis21: 11:39am On Feb 18, 2013
Abagworo:

So as I was born and raised in Rivers State, it means I should feel like an outsider in my village. In her case, she even speaks the language. The truth is that societies outside Nigeria have different culture of origin as compared with us. For example if Obama was in Nigeria, we'd still regard him as a Kenyan no matter what he does including having a Nigerian mother.
You still don't get her point, Abagworo. She never said she isn't Igbo neither did she deny being one. She only said she feels like an OUTSIDER. OUTSIDER = OUTSIDE + R. As an outsider she has never been to Igboland before neither does she feel what its like to live in Igboland. It is just like someone who grew up never living with his parents at home but with an aunt or uncle elsewhere. Don't compare yourself to her because you were born and raised in Nigeria, and your maternal side, Ikwerre, Etche whatever, is Igbo as well. Moreover, you constantly say that you visit your village, Oguta, regularly. Your case is definitely different.
Re: Do You Consider Her As Igbo by bigfrancis21: 11:39am On Feb 18, 2013
Re: Do You Consider Her As Igbo by Abagworo(m): 12:03pm On Feb 18, 2013
bigfrancis21:
You still don't get her point, Abagworo. She never said she isn't Igbo neither did she deny being one. She only said she feels like an OUTSIDER. OUTSIDER = OUTSIDE + R. As an outsider she has never been to Igboland before neither does she feel what its like to live in Igboland. It is just like someone who grew up never living with his parents at home but with an aunt or uncle elsewhere. Don't compare yourself to her because you were born and raised in Nigeria, and your maternal side, Ikwerre, Etche whatever, is Igbo as well. Moreover, you constantly say that you visit your village, Oguta, regularly. Your case is definitely different.

I understand "outsider" absolutely but the title means she's doubting her Igboness. She's asking us "Nigerians" if we consider her Igbo and I made it clear that even if her mother is from Russia and she can't speak English and Igbo, we(Nigerians) would still consider her as 100% Igbo because of her paternity.
Re: Do You Consider Her As Igbo by demmie1: 6:53pm On Feb 21, 2013
U R OSU grin
Re: Do You Consider Her As Igbo by Nobody: 6:54pm On Feb 21, 2013
What are your views about this? The world is becoming a mono culture and we are all being mixed up. Therefore that means NO cultural diversity as we are all the same, NO racial diversity as we will one day all look the same. Tradition, culture and heritage are being broken down and no one really cares anymore. That is the sad reality
Re: Do You Consider Her As Igbo by odumchi: 7:35pm On Feb 21, 2013
IgboUK: What are your views about this? The world is becoming a mono culture and we are all being mixed up. Therefore that means NO cultural diversity as we are all the same, NO racial diversity as we will one day all look the same. Tradition, culture and heritage are being broken down and no one really cares anymore. That is the sad reality

Maybe that's how they think in England. I certainly don't subscribe to that belief.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Her As Igbo by ariesbull: 12:08pm On Nov 02, 2021
If a girl is Igbo, but born and raised in London - she speaks Igbo, knows the igbo culture etc well - do you consider her as Igbo?

no I consider her a Latino
Re: Do You Consider Her As Igbo by muheeb01(m): 7:51am On Nov 03, 2021
You're what you think you're

(1) (Reply)

King Of Jordan Helped Citizens Pushed Their Stuck Car Out Of The Snow(video) / I Want To Learn How To Speak Yoruba / I Want To Study Ifa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.