Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,274 members, 7,807,928 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:59 PM

Why Africa Must Be Grateful To Bush - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Africa Must Be Grateful To Bush (683 Views)

Why Africa Is Backward (pictures) / Dele Momodu, George Bush, Tony Blair & Wole Soyinka Pictured / I’ll Ever Be Grateful To Supporters Of One Nigeria – Gowon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Africa Must Be Grateful To Bush by preselect(m): 1:46am On Feb 15, 2013
yes, it's me, pres-elect, the hottest liberal in nairaland cool
liberals have freedom of thought, which includes giving honor to whom honor is due.

no need to talk too much but why is it that nobody talks about the work Bush did in Africa with regards to HIV/AIDS? here's an excerpt from the washington post opinion piece

"The President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) exist[s] entirely because of a willing leader, a creative policy team, a smattering of activists and a vast, bleeding need," columnist Michael Gerson writes in a Washington Post opinion piece. He cites President George W. Bush's 2003 State of the Union address, during which he announced the program: "Tonight I propose the Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief, ... a work of mercy beyond all current international efforts to help the people of Africa. This comprehensive plan will prevent seven million new AIDS infections, treat at least two million people with life-extending drugs and provide humane care for millions of people suffering from AIDS and for children orphaned by AIDS."

"In retrospect, the words were not particularly memorable. But the moment was remarkable," Gerson continues, adding, "An initiative of this scale and ambition -- the largest effort to fight a single disease in history -- was utterly unexpected." He discusses the implementation of the program and outlines a number of lessons that can be gleaned from it after 10 years. "I watched a leader make the decision to save the lives of millions of innocent people," he writes, concluding, "Ten years later, it is still the noblest thing I have ever seen"

President Bush, Thank you cool

1 Like

Re: Why Africa Must Be Grateful To Bush by Dibiachukwu: 9:06am On Feb 15, 2013
Simply F.o.olish. Really?
After that I would also be grateful to lugard and the third reich.
Re: Why Africa Must Be Grateful To Bush by kufre2010: 10:06am On Feb 15, 2013
D most foolish post i hv seen 2day. I should as wel b greatful 2 a man who in my ignorant collected my diamonds in exchange 4 a plate of rice. I awarded this post d dumbest in d century.
Re: Why Africa Must Be Grateful To Bush by preselect(m): 3:41pm On Feb 15, 2013
It's okay smiley
At least there are a few hundred thousand or even millions of people in Africa today who are alive because of the assistance the US gave to AIDS diagnosis and treatment in Africa especially east and southern Africa. This was happening at a time when the president of Africa's biggest economy denied there was even anything called AIDS.
But it's okay, I'm sure there are peeps who would appreciate what he did. smiley

(1) (Reply)

Boko Haram: Nigeria Summons US Ambassador / 2015: We ‘ll Deliver More Credible And Fair Elections - Jega. / Bye To Crude Oil, Solar Powered Plane Flies TRANSCONTINENTAL!!,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.