Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,350 members, 7,808,220 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:58 AM

Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi (13179 Views)

Makoko Floating School, Lagos In Pictures / India's Answer To Nigeria's Makoko Floating School [pics] / A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by shiftbutton: 12:25pm On Feb 15, 2013
Lagos' flood-beating floating school nears completion
Design and urbanism practice NLÉ, led by Nigerian architect Kunle Adeyemi, is building a new multilevel school in Makoko – a region of Nigeria's most populous city, Lagos. While that doesn't sound too unusual, the difference here is that in an effort to address the issues of land scarcity and poor waste management that affect the flood-prone area, this school is being built on floating platforms.
Designed for 100 pupils and their teaching staff, the Makoko School is 108 sq. ft. (10 sq. m) at its base, 33 ft (10 m) high. The design uses approximately 256 plastic drums to float on the water and the frame is constructed using locally sourced wood. Solar panels are planned to provide electricity along with rainwater harvesting to facilitate the newly installed compost toilets as a solution to the non-existent sewerage system. The design team has included a playground on the base level with a further two floors for classrooms above.

As Nigeria’s commercial capital and economic center, Lagos has an estimated population of fifteen million which makes it larger than London, Buenos Aires and Beijing. The 250,000 strong community of Makoko has lived in stilt houses above a lagoon for generations. The waterway lifestyle, where daily travel takes place in canoes, prompted Portuguese colonists to name the city Lagos (which means "lakes"wink and the longest bridge in Africa connects the main city to the lagoon islands. In the last year local and national discussions have taken place about the impact of climate change upon the water settlements as rising sea levels, coastal erosion and tropical rains have overwhelmed the current system.
NLÉ hopes the Makoko School design will be a prototype to improve the architecture and urbanism of African coastal cities and create floating homes, community centers and play spaces. Kunle Adeyemi states that if the initial school building is successful, replicated structures could provide homes for over 100,000 people in the area.

After successfully completing test floating platforms in September 2012, NLÉ says the US$6250 prototype building is almost complete and will hopefully be ready to welcome a new school year.
http://www.gizmag.com/floating-school-lagos-nle/26250/

3 Likes

Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by geeez: 12:43pm On Feb 15, 2013
Eko o ni baje!

Ile Yoruba ma te si waju

9 Likes

Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by Revolva(m): 1:29pm On Feb 15, 2013
What is a floating school used for...again
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by pekelepekele(m): 1:30pm On Feb 15, 2013
Where will the children's be playing during breaking time . Fashola likes doing unnecessary peculiar things (I don dey become Patrick Obaihgbon small small grin)

6 Likes

Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by rexfada(m): 1:33pm On Feb 15, 2013
hope students wont drown in the river? great architectural work sha!
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by Akpaife(m): 1:33pm On Feb 15, 2013
A wellcome development I love lagos
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by sucnif(m): 1:33pm On Feb 15, 2013
Interesting
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by lagbajah: 1:33pm On Feb 15, 2013
lol
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by chilecharis(f): 1:33pm On Feb 15, 2013
I just hope it will be very safe for both the students and teachers,cos me,am afraid of water
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by Nobody: 1:34pm On Feb 15, 2013
Commendable
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by ebamma(m): 1:35pm On Feb 15, 2013
Revolva: What is a floating school used for...again
Another yaba left, escapee,

1 Like

Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by yhellow(m): 1:36pm On Feb 15, 2013
Eko baje ti

2 Likes

Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by icydoc: 1:37pm On Feb 15, 2013
awesome.architectural design to fit the need of the people.education is the best thing u can give anyone.

1 Like

Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by sirhot(m): 1:37pm On Feb 15, 2013
pekelepekele: Where will the children's be playing during breaking time . Fashola likes doing unnecessary peculiar things (I don dey become Patrick Obaihgbon small small grin)
Evidence of commenting with reading. My friend go back and read it again gently this time around.

2 Likes

Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by Caracta(f): 1:38pm On Feb 15, 2013
Funny. I shared this same idea with my friends a while ago and they almost crucified me. They laughed so hard, mocked me and gave me a silly nickname. Smh...life is beautiful.
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by gluv01(f): 1:38pm On Feb 15, 2013
This is rubbish!!! angry Locally sourced wood instead of steel? Why don't they use steel used for building a normal ship? Are these people serious? shocked

The architectural work is great, but the materials used? it's a no!

They will only end up killing children...What if the tide comes? And is it rubber or plastic that will hold the boat(floating school) firm?
Steel is much more better as it can withstand the surge if any unexpected occurrence takes place...hmmm...NAija I hail o
#sense of reasoning#
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by speeder(m): 1:40pm On Feb 15, 2013
Too much money. Whats wrong with the dry land all over lagos, just bec a@use he was given most innova tive gov. pls we need meaningful innovation.

Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by JideTheBlogger(m): 1:43pm On Feb 15, 2013
gluv01: This is rubbish!!! angry Locally sourced wood instead of steel? Why don't they use steel used for building a normal ship? Are these people serious? shocked

They will only end up killing children...What if the tide comes? And is it rubber or plastic that will hold the boat(floating school) firm?
Steel is much more better as it can withstand the surge if any unexpected occurrence takes place...hmmm...NAija I hail o
#sense of reasoning#

As if you sabi pass them... mtchew**
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by Nobody: 1:51pm On Feb 15, 2013
Just another way to gulp money
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by rodeo0070(m): 1:59pm On Feb 15, 2013
Nice innovation!!!
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by Akshow: 1:59pm On Feb 15, 2013
gluv01: This is rubbish!!! angry Locally sourced wood instead of steel? Why don't they use steel used for building a normal ship? Are these people serious? shocked

#sense of reasoning#
you be architect? Abi you think say the builders Foolish like you? As you no see any bad belle comment make na him make you vomit this rubbish? Oya carry shame waka from here Anuofia
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by Demdem(m): 2:03pm On Feb 15, 2013
This new initiative isnt that bad to be honest.
Besides. am still waiting for the retardeen to fulfill his promise of Floating cities here in the NigerDelta. i juts hope this promise hasnt entered voicemail like the rest.

https://www.nairaland.com/448928/jonathan-plans-floating-cities-niger

2 Likes

Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by Akshow: 2:04pm On Feb 15, 2013
speeder: Too much money. Whats wrong with the dry land all over lagos, just bec a@use he was given most innova tive gov. pls we need meaningful innovation.
Mumu this people have lived in houses build on stick for generations. The govt is tryin to help them bring education to their door step. Understand?

2 Likes

Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by OgidiOlu3(m): 2:08pm On Feb 15, 2013
pekelepekele: Where will the children's be playing during breaking time . Fashola likes doing unnecessary peculiar things (I don dey become Patrick Obaihgbon small small grin)

Breaking Time? Walahi, u can neva be Obahiagbon grin

3 Likes

Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by paparazzi1987(m): 2:14pm On Feb 15, 2013

INSIDE WATER na grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by born2boink(m): 2:23pm On Feb 15, 2013
I Pity some pikins in future, the one na Jerico
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by AZeD1(m): 2:26pm On Feb 15, 2013
Nice architecture. I'm just worried about population control because there is a maximum weight that it would be able to carry.

1 Like

Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by MadCow1: 2:26pm On Feb 15, 2013
One word to describe this; BRILLIANT AND INGENIOUS..
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by kalunomics(m): 2:26pm On Feb 15, 2013
God kows how i can be afraid of water. I suggest any construction that has to do with water should be dealt with strict 'testing and failure' experiments with expert just like the construction of the mighty 'burg al arab'(the arabian palace) in dubai beforf commencing.
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by Jibsonified(m): 2:28pm On Feb 15, 2013
Good innovation, I guess there will be more of this to really achieve gd goal of schoolin d children of Makoko..cos 100 pupil-school aint enuf..I'm sure it is to avoid offsetting d stability that they have such small number, BUT, there is alot I think they should have 2 consider which is obviously absent, viz
1. The use of wood is entirely inappopraite..or is this meant to b a shortlived building, cos d wood will def diminish in quality especialy as it is exposed to water n warmth. I suggest they use special alloy that is even far lighter than wood eg Duralumin..abi dem no get money buy am ni
2. How will those drum withstand tide n even storm.. I see a wreckage wit this kind of design o
3 By the way is it meant to move like a ship?... Mobile school?!
well well all these and more are meant to be considered b4 we can appluad this innovation

1 Like

Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by akwat: 2:35pm On Feb 15, 2013
Splendid. Good thinking. This is the time ILAJE's. Will know tha LASG cares for them. The project will also serve as a tourist centre. Before you know now, other states will starts to emulate LASG. Eko Oni Baje oooooo
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by ForNow: 2:36pm On Feb 15, 2013
Demdem: This new initiative isnt that bad to be honest.
Besides. am still waiting for the retardeen to fulfill his promise of Floating cities here in the NigerDelta. i juts hope this promise hasnt entered voicemail like the rest.

https://www.nairaland.com/448928/jonathan-plans-floating-cities-niger

This Retardeen dude sef (Demdem), you no go bridle ur tongue. Its like ur parents did not give u gud home training. Anyway, you are not to be blamed, your parents cannot give you what they don't have. Lets keep watching as the sanitization in the country is going on even if it is slow and steady. remember, the rot did not start when GEJ took over govt. but way before. Trust me, those milking this country dry will want to frustrate any move to carry out this sanity by employing paid post like yours and rain insults like you to dampen any effort applied at sanitization. There will always be resistance and smearing from the evil cabals in the system, hence the slow and steady nature of the present govt. If any politrician tells you he can do it overnight and you believe him, then you must be the biggest fool of ur generation.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sack Of 15 ABU Staff For Sexual Harassment, Corruption Commended By FG / Free Admission Without Jamb / 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Have Girlfriend In College

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.