Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,955 members, 7,806,765 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:00 PM

If Eternal Life And Heaven Is Real, Why Is Death Bad? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If Eternal Life And Heaven Is Real, Why Is Death Bad? (1040 Views)

Hell-bound Christians And Heaven-bound Unbelievers / God's Warning For Youth About Hell And Heaven / If Heaven Is Real Why Are Christians Afraid To Die?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Eternal Life And Heaven Is Real, Why Is Death Bad? by litgirl22: 10:20pm On Feb 15, 2013
Question for the religious and theist believers.

If eternal life and heaven/paradise/jannah/nirvana and so forth are the ultimate goals and destinations of human beings, why is death feared and mourned?

Most people have a culture of weeping for the dead, and remarking about how short and fleeting life is.

If you are religious, a short life in an evil world is a good trade off for everlasting life in bliss! Life on earth should not be regarded as precious in any way!

Or...do we subconsciously regard life on earth as the first and last bus stop for us? undecided

It's senseless how religious bodies see death as a period of sorrow, wear black, cry, weep, spend a few hours dreading the inevitability of the death of all humans, etc.

Death should be celebrated as joyously as birthdays if religious texts about eternal life are anything to go by. Parties, laughs, merry, etc. Wear bright colors.
Re: If Eternal Life And Heaven Is Real, Why Is Death Bad? by Nobody: 10:23pm On Feb 15, 2013
I dont want to comment. However,i love to see what our religious people got to say about this.
Re: If Eternal Life And Heaven Is Real, Why Is Death Bad? by Nobody: 10:24pm On Feb 15, 2013
Re: If Eternal Life And Heaven Is Real, Why Is Death Bad? by dopeJemi: 10:45pm On Feb 15, 2013
pLs I wanna know

If ur Dad or Mum dies.. Wud u ceLebrate it? Like wud u be Happy and smiLing

#no offence intended pLs
Re: If Eternal Life And Heaven Is Real, Why Is Death Bad? by litgirl22: 10:55pm On Feb 15, 2013
dopeJemi: pLs I wanna know

If ur Dad or Mum dies.. Wud u ceLebrate it? Like wud u be Happy and smiLing

#no offence intended pLs

Never said I was religious... wink

But no one is answering my question
Re: If Eternal Life And Heaven Is Real, Why Is Death Bad? by EasyNaijacom: 11:27pm On Feb 15, 2013
People don't mourn death itself, they mourn the victim, the dead person, the brother, the best friend, the husband, the father, the wife, the sister, the uncle. You'd rarely see people mourn someone they don't know.

For example, if a close friend of your's dies (may God forbid), would total strangers come to stand beside the grave and cry? No. The only people you see at funerals are relatives of the dead person, people who loved being with that person or who meant something to them or who represented something in their lives. E.g. his children, who would cry because of the fact that their future lives would be difficult.

It's not like if you lose someone your friends would go to the persons grave to console him, they would come to console you because they acknowledge the fact that you have lost something important.
Re: If Eternal Life And Heaven Is Real, Why Is Death Bad? by litgirl22: 12:19am On Feb 16, 2013
Why are dead people victimized if they are going to a better place than earth according to religion?

They are victors, not victims, using religious logic.

Are you a Christain/Muslim? What does the bible or Koran teach you?

EasyNaija.com:
People don't mourn death itself, they mourn the victim, the dead person, the brother, the best friend, the husband, the father, the wife, the sister, the uncle. You'd rarely see people mourn someone they don't know.

For example, if a close friend of your's dies (may God forbid), would total strangers come to stand beside the grave and cry? No. The only people you see at funerals are relatives of the dead person, people who loved being with that person or who meant something to them or who represented something in their lives. E.g. his children, who would cry because of the fact that their future lives would be difficult.

It's not like if you lose someone your friends would go to the persons grave to console him, they would come to console you because they acknowledge the fact that you have lost something important.
Re: If Eternal Life And Heaven Is Real, Why Is Death Bad? by Nobody: 12:30am On Feb 16, 2013
One word: faith.
Re: If Eternal Life And Heaven Is Real, Why Is Death Bad? by Nobody: 12:51am On Feb 16, 2013
DONT KNOW WHO YOU HAVE MET BUT I DONT TREAT DEATH WITH SORROW. ABSENCE OF BODY IS PRESENCE WITH THE LORD. IN FACT JEREMIAH THE PROPHET SAYS THE DAY OF BIRTH IS A CURSE DAY BECAUSE YOU ARE BACK IN HELL. AND YES HELL IS ON EARTH AS WELL AS HEAVEN. HEAVEN WILL BE ESTABLISHED ON EARTH LATER IN THE NEAR FUTURE

2 CORINTHIANS 5 VS 8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord <<< BEING DEAD MEANS PRESENCE WITH THE LORD.

JEREMIAH 20 VS 14 Cursed be the day wherein I was born: let not the day wherein my mother bare me be blessed

MATTHEW 6 VS 10 Your kingdom come. Your will be done in earth, as it is in heaven
Re: If Eternal Life And Heaven Is Real, Why Is Death Bad? by ARareGem(f): 1:08am On Feb 16, 2013
It is not as if we are not aware the dead person is going to a better place (i.e. if the person gave his life to Christ before dying). But we mourn loosing the physical presence of the loved one, we mourn the friendship that is lost, we mourn the lost support- support in all its ramifications-from the person that is gone. There's a void left open when a loved one dies. Also, we mourn the judgement that awaits them if they had not accepted Jesus before dying.

It has to do with the emotions.
Re: If Eternal Life And Heaven Is Real, Why Is Death Bad? by alexleo(m): 1:19am On Feb 16, 2013
ARareGem: It is not as if we are not aware the dead person is going to a better place (i.e. if the person gave his life to Christ before dying). But we mourn loosing the physical presence of the loved one, we mourn the friendship that is lost, we mourn the lost support- support in all its ramifications-from the person that is gone. There's a void left open when a loved one dies. Also, we mourn the judgement that awaits them if they had not accepted Jesus before dying.

You ve answered the foolish question that Op raised. Thanks. Oya lets leave her to either keep on wallowing in his foolishness or reason well.
Re: If Eternal Life And Heaven Is Real, Why Is Death Bad? by EasyNaijacom: 1:40am On Feb 16, 2013
litgirl22: Why are dead people victimized if they are going to a better place than earth according to religion?

They are victors, not victims, using religious logic.

Are you a Christain/Muslim? What does the bible or Koran teach you?

You have clearly deviated from your own question. Did you read my last reply? or are you just going to attack my use of the word "victim"?

First, there's no such thing as "religious logic", it's either Logic or it's not.
When you asked: "Why are dead people victimized if they are going to a better place?", do you mean why they're called "victims"?

Technically, from the dictionary definition of victim: "A person harmed, injured, or killed as a result of a crime, accident, or other event or action".

They are victims because given the chance, they would have chosen life over death.

And from the dictionary meaning of Victor: "A person who defeats an enemy or opponent in a battle, or the winner in a game or other competition."

So, from the definition of victor above, what you're indirectly saying is that all dead people had planned their death? Really?
You make it sound like death only comes to a few selected righteous people. Everyone would eventually die one day. Aaaand not all dead people were righteous so don't call them "victors" like it's some generic name. Some go to hell you know, would you call them victors too?

QUESTION: If you were in a house and somehow that house started burning, would you happily remain in it so as to be "victorious" or would you run for dear life?
(I don't expect an answer, this is like asking if grass is green.)
Re: If Eternal Life And Heaven Is Real, Why Is Death Bad? by ARareGem(f): 1:58am On Feb 16, 2013
^^
I would happily remain in it so I would be victorious. grin cool

alexleo:

You ve answered the foolish question that Op raised. Thanks. Oya lets leave her to either keep on wallowing in his foolishness or reason well.

Lol.
Re: If Eternal Life And Heaven Is Real, Why Is Death Bad? by litgirl22: 2:18am On Feb 16, 2013
ARareGem: It is not as if we are not aware the dead person is going to a better place (i.e. if the person gave his life to Christ before dying). But we mourn loosing the physical presence of the loved one, we mourn the friendship that is lost, we mourn the lost support- support in all its ramifications-from the person that is gone. There's a void left open when a loved one dies. Also, we mourn the judgement that awaits them if they had not accepted Jesus before dying.

Do you mourn someone who has gone on a vacation?

Yeah there will be a void because the person is gone, but black clothes? Weeping? Commiseration? Sorrow? Fear?

Death should be a akin to a vacation, and all things being equal you may likely meet this a loved one who has passed on again (when you are also called).

People also mourn those who had christian and Godlike reputations while alive so the judgement thing/hell is a miss there.
Re: If Eternal Life And Heaven Is Real, Why Is Death Bad? by honeychild(f): 9:01am On Feb 16, 2013
ifeness: I dont want to comment. However,i love to see what our religious people got to say about this.
Here is what I have to say to this

1. The Bible shows that death is a bad thing. It is the absence of life, NOT a promotion to a better place. The teaching that when people die they are going to heaven or paradise is NOT FOUND IN THE BIBLE.

Ecclesiastes 9:10- whatever your hands find to do, do it with all your might, for in the grave where you are going, there is neither planning nor working nor knowledge nor wisdom.

2. The Bible also shows that death was not part of God's purpose. It came as a PUNISHMENT for man's rebellion. It does not make sense to reward a rebellious subordinate with a promotion, does it?

3. Death is never painted as good thing. The Bible calls death an enemy:

1 Corinthians 15:26 - the last enemy to be destroyed is death.
Re: If Eternal Life And Heaven Is Real, Why Is Death Bad? by alexleo(m): 9:44am On Feb 16, 2013
honeychild:
Here is what I have to say to this

1. The Bible shows that death is a bad thing. It is the absence of life, NOT a promotion to a better place. The teaching that when people die they are going to heaven or paradise is NOT FOUND IN THE BIBLE.

lies. big lie. stop deciving yourself and others. Go and read the bible and pray the holy spirit to interpret for you. Your interpretations are RUBBISH AND A TOTAL DECEIT.
Re: If Eternal Life And Heaven Is Real, Why Is Death Bad? by honeychild(f): 10:44am On Feb 16, 2013
alexleo:

lies. big lie. stop deciving yourself and others. Go and read the bible and pray the holy spirit to interpret for you. Your interpretations are RUBBISH AND A TOTAL DECEIT.

1. The dead are in the grave.
John 5:28, 29: Do not be amazed at this for a time is coming when all WHO ARE IN THEIR GRAVES will hear his voice and come out - those who have done what is good will rise to live and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned.

2. This rising up (resurrection) occurs at the last day
John 11:23-25: Jesus said to her "your brother will rise up". Martha answered "I know he will rise again in the RESURRECTION AT THE LAST DAY."
Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die.

3. Before this resurrection at the last day, the dead are unconscious.
Ecclesiastes 9:5 : For the living know that they will die, but the dead KNOW NOTHING.
Re: If Eternal Life And Heaven Is Real, Why Is Death Bad? by alexleo(m): 11:17am On Feb 16, 2013
so whats revelation 6:9-11 saying about the souls of the dead? Be careful not represent the bible falsely. A matter that has to do with eternal destiny of a person shouldnt be interpreted anyhow thats why i still refer you to the Holy Spirit.
honeychild:

1. The dead are in the grave.
John 5:28, 29: Do not be amazed at this for a time is coming when all WHO ARE IN THEIR GRAVES will hear his voice and come out - those who have done what is good will rise to live and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned.

2. This rising up (resurrection) occurs at the last day
John 11:23-25: Jesus said to her "your brother will rise up". Martha answered "I know he will rise again in the RESURRECTION AT THE LAST DAY."
Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die.

3. Before this resurrection at the last day, the dead are unconscious.
Ecclesiastes 9:5 : For the living know that they will die, but the dead KNOW NOTHING.

Re: If Eternal Life And Heaven Is Real, Why Is Death Bad? by Nobody: 11:42am On Feb 16, 2013
Death is only a transition to another reality. Waking up from a state of limitation into a real world. A re connection back to source of everything.

Those who morn or cry do so as a result of feeling they are being left behind. People who die wake up from this physical dream and all the experiences fades away.

Christians are been programmed to fear the unknown. The idea of actually going to HELL,a reality they have been taught in thier various religious centers which is not true. But since they have created this in thier minds,they fear dying becos they know it is almost impossible to live the kind of life they are been taught to live in their churches. The idea that their loving God will throw them into hell even if they have the smallest sin on them.
Re: If Eternal Life And Heaven Is Real, Why Is Death Bad? by alexleo(m): 12:21pm On Feb 16, 2013
ifeness: Death is only a transition to another reality. Waking up from a state of limitation into a real world. A re connection back to source of everything.

Those who morn or cry do so as a result of feeling they are being left behind. People who die wake up from this physical dream and all the experiences fades away.

Christians are been programmed to fear the unknown. The idea of actually going to HELL,a reality they have been taught in thier various religious centers which is not true. But since they have created this in thier minds,they fear dying becos they know it is almost impossible to live the kind of life they are been taught to live in their churches. The idea that their loving God will throw them into hell even if they have the smallest sin on them.

RUBBISH
Re: If Eternal Life And Heaven Is Real, Why Is Death Bad? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Feb 16, 2013
alexleo:
RUBBISH

You got any proof? oh your bible did not teach you that huh! little mind!
Re: If Eternal Life And Heaven Is Real, Why Is Death Bad? by Ayomivic(m): 1:27pm On Feb 16, 2013
I am sure op has known what make people cry for their loved ones.I want op to understand one or two thing

1. dead man cannot cry.have you seen expression of happiness or sorrow in the face of dead man?

2. the judgement belongs to God. You can see someone as genuine christian but only God can tell if that person is really christian or not because only God knows the heart of a man,only him knows all the hidden secreat.

So, if you understand these i will say, to some people death is good and to some ,death is bad. You cannot enter into paradise when you are still alive but that does not say you sould terminate your life to gain this likewise you cannot go to hell when you still alive as you cannot forever countinue to run away from death.

If God is showing us the place of our loved ones after death and we saw him in paradise is not bad if we celebrate that person for weeks or months because to make heaven is the reason we are living but if our loved one is in hell, it is not bad if we mourn for that person because his coming to earth is meaningless. therefore, for someone who made it to paradise, death is good and for someone who made it to hell death is bad for dragged him to where he hates.

But, we don't mourn because our loved one is in hell since we could not see his position after death but because we missed him. Wife will weep for she is going to miss her darling husband,mourn for being a widow,two persons responbilities become one person responbilities. she will mourn for her children will lack father's love and care.etc. can you see now that we mourn for ourself not for dead.
Re: If Eternal Life And Heaven Is Real, Why Is Death Bad? by alexleo(m): 1:44pm On Feb 16, 2013
At what age i ll die does not matter to me. What matters to me is to be prepared for heaven at what age or time that i ll die. I desire heaven more than anything and God will grant me heaven in Jesus name. Amen.
Re: If Eternal Life And Heaven Is Real, Why Is Death Bad? by honeychild(f): 3:47pm On Feb 16, 2013
alexleo: so whats revelation 6:9-11 saying about the souls of the dead? Be careful not represent the bible falsely. A matter that has to do with eternal destiny of a person shouldnt be interpreted anyhow thats why i still refer you to the Holy Spirit.

The book of revelation should never be interpreted literally. It is a vision, given in signs and symbolic language.
Revelation 1:1- a revelation by Jesus Christ, which God gave to him to show his servants that which must shortly come to pass. and he sent and SIGNIFIED it through his angel to his servant John.

Thus the souls crying out under the altar in Revelation 6 is symbolic. It means the same thing as when God said to Cain in the beginning: Gen 4:10- thy brother's blood cries out to me from the ground.

It ssymbolizes that God will not forget the injustice done until the wicked pay for it.
Re: If Eternal Life And Heaven Is Real, Why Is Death Bad? by Nobody: 5:17pm On Feb 16, 2013
People mourn their loved ones because their knowledge of the existence of the afterlife is not enough to compensate for the sense of loss they feel at the passing of the loved one.
Re: If Eternal Life And Heaven Is Real, Why Is Death Bad? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Feb 16, 2013
ifeness: Death is only a transition to another reality. Waking up from a state of limitation into a real world. A re connection back to source of everything.

LOL PASS THAT PURPLE HAZE MA NICCAZZZZZ grin
Re: If Eternal Life And Heaven Is Real, Why Is Death Bad? by Nobody: 6:26pm On Feb 16, 2013
obadiah777: LOL PASS THAT PURPLE HAZE MA NICCAZZZZZ grin

Good evening Obadiah,
Lol!!!
Saw your 'handle' and was preparing myself fo a good laugh and you did not dissapoint...though I didn't laugh as hard as I did when you posted the 'puff..puff and weed passing game' but I guess this one will do.

Thanks!
Re: If Eternal Life And Heaven Is Real, Why Is Death Bad? by alexleo(m): 10:32pm On Feb 16, 2013
honeychild:

The book of revelation should never be interpreted literally. It is a vision, given in signs and symbolic language.
Revelation 1:1- a revelation by Jesus Christ, which God gave to him to show his servants that which must shortly come to pass. and he sent and SIGNIFIED it through his angel to his servant John.

Thus the souls crying out under the altar in Revelation 6 is symbolic. It means the same thing as when God said to Cain in the beginning: Gen 4:10- thy brother's blood cries out to me from the ground.

It ssymbolizes that God will not forget the injustice done until the wicked pay for it.

See how you people are confusing yourselves and confusing people. You quoted ecclessiates and i quoteed revelations. Both of them are the same bible books and you are here telling me NONSENSE. You people are just deciving yourselves. When you die and see your soul on the otheer side of eternity you will regret your deceit but it would ve been late by then. Better run for your life and drop those false teachings before its too late.

(1) (Reply)

It’s Time COZA Pastor, Biodun Answers These Questions – Church Member J.Omojuwa / Praising God With Understanding - Winning Each Day Devotional / How Do You Defined GOD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.