Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,998 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:56 AM

Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! (5077 Views)

Azubuike Chikere-Wanjoku Storms INEC Collation Centre,Wants Return Of N12m Bribe / Shiites Attempted Assassination Of Buratai, The Chief-Of-Army-Staff In Zaria / How Chief-Of-Army-Staff Buratai Spent His Sallah(pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! by Nobody: 10:59am On Feb 16, 2013
Ever since the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. General Onyeabor Azubuike Ihejirika, ordered the redeployment of Major General Mohammed Isah, the former Commander, Infantry Corps and Centre, co-located with the Armed Forces Command and Staff College, Jaji that was bombed by Boko Haram terrorists, last November, the COAS has known no peace.

With the recent postings and retirements that followed last December, a section of the country allegedly instigated by some officers, have been waging media war against Ihejirika accusing him of ethnic and religious considerations in the running of the Nigerian army.

In this interview, General Ihejirika bares it all, saying the Army under his watch has been fair to all geo-political zones in the country and warning that the Nigerian army should notbe politicized.

Ihejirika- I want to remark that the press is considered very vital in all our activities particularly the fight against terrorism. But as you are aware, contribution of the press could be positive, it could also be negative.
It is for the Nigerian army to have greater interaction withcivil societies, to bring its practices in line with global best practices that I established the department of civil military affairs as part of my transformation efforts. Before now, we did not have such departments in existence.

I believe that every well meaning member of the press owes it a duty to contribute all the time towards nation building.
The type of allegations described by the Public Relations department (Allegation of lopsided Recruitment, Promotion, Retirement and Deployment in the Nigerian Army), are not unfamiliar to the Nigerian army.

Every nation has its faultlines and I can say it is these faultlines that are being exploited by faceless groups to cause more problems for Nigerians. I believe they would have identified the fact that the Nigerian army isone of the few institutions that will stand in defence of this country, come rain, and come sunshine. Why do I say this?

When we commenced operations in Maiduguri against the Book Haram terrorist’s sect, text messages were sent round, to the fact that the Chief of Army Staff has deployed a General of ‘Igbo’ extraction to avenge the killing of Igbos during the civil war.

But it is on record that the Boko Haram sect claimed that they were fighting to avenge the death of their leader and other members killed in various encounters. From the operations that are taking place, are people being killed as alleged?
Even though the operation being conducted is coordinated by leadership of the Defence Headquarters, but it being interpreted wrongly to whip up sentiments by making reference to civil war fought and resolved many years ago; in fact, before some of them were born.

This is also important because when they choose to orchestrate the appointment of some Igbo officers, they did not bother to talk of appointment generally. I believe that most of you here have come to find out whether the army is still intact or whether there is turmoil in the army as alleged by the faceless groups.

You have seen the hierarchy of the army and you can speak for yourself that the army is intact. I believe that while the officers were being introduced, the crème de la crème of the army, what I call the chief executives of the Nigerian army, I believe some of you were taking notes, on the number of Igbo officers.

Some of my officers have told me on a lighter note that they would start answering Igbo names soon, so that they become properly Igbonized as alleged.

I had a lot of experience before becoming the Chief of Army Staff. I happened to have served in the military secretary department; the department that handles promotions, postings and retirements. One of the things we sought to achieve while in that department was to ensure that promotions in the army are made very objective and they are merit based.

As a senior officer, I have had the privilege to handle internal security operations, and I have worked well with the press. Each time there was crisis in any part of the country, we know the consequences of such crisis. Before you know it, rumours will be awash that people of certain extraction and religion have been killed and killing will start at the other end.

These are issues we must overcome. The Nigerian armyhas come a long way. So when I said my vision for theNigerian army is to turn the Nigerian Army into a force better able to meet contemporary challenges; I also took the Nigerian faultlines into consideration. I want to assure you that the Nigerian army of today is notthe type that dragged the nation into war in the 1960s?

You might wish to know that in my deployments, I have General Gani Wahab in 1 division, Kaduna; I have Brigadier General M. Ibrahim in 1 Brigade and Brigadier General Iliya Abbah in 2 Brigade. And I sit here, I’m very comfortable with that posting.

(CONTINUED BELOW)
Re: Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! by Nobody: 11:05am On Feb 16, 2013
When General Olayinka Oshinowo (former GOC 92 div, Enugu), who happened to have been mentioned in one write up as one of those short changed, it might interest the public to know that General Oshinowo had missed his promotion before I became the Chief of Army staff and that he was promoted to the rank of Major General under my watch.

I made reference to Major General Oshinowo who was promoted and he later became GOC 82 division. As you are aware, 82 division is the division holding the South East including my village.
While there, he had 5 very important Brigade Commanders. The brigade in Port Harcourt was commanded by Brigadier General Buratai now promoted to Major General. The one in Owerri is still being commanded as it was by Brigadier General Alkali. I believe Alkali and Buratai come from the North Easternzone of this country.

The one at Ohafia, very close to my village is being commanded, as it has been by Brigadier General Hassan who hails from Niger state. The one in Calabar is commanded by Brigadier General Buchi who is today, a Director in Army headquarters. He is the one that will help us train the soldiers that will help us win Olympic medals.

The other formation under the division, the Army Amphibious training school which I have upgraded sinceI came into office is being commanded by Brigadier General MT Ibrahim. So in effect, in this whole division, the GOC, a Christian of South West zone, has his Brigade Commanders, Muslims from the North. That tells you the type of Army I run.

On promotions, it might interest you to note in 2011, we promoted 25 officers to the rank of Major General. Three out of this 25, all came from Kano State .
The promotion was based on merit. That will explain to you that under my watch, I could not stand any of the officers being dropped because they clearly deserve it.

With these few remarks, I hope you have realized that when people talk about religious and ethnic considerations, these are issues that must be downplayed. It should not be brought into the army at all. Political scores should be settled elsewhere because the army is apolitical.

Whoever becomes the president of the country becomes the Commander in Chief. So the military institution, particularly the army, needs to be protected.

I spoke of my experience. As I sit here, I want to inform you that once in my career, I missed promotion. That was in 1998, promotion from the rank of Lt. Colonel to Colonel.

At that particular time, I had PSc+, having taught in Staff College . I had commanded a unit 12 Field Engineer Regiment at Ijebu Ode. Among all the engineering officers promoted, I was the only officer that has held such command.

That same year I missed the promotion, I had received commendation from the Chief of Army staff for the performance of my unit in anexercise called ‘Exercise EagleRing’. And that was the very first time that exercise was being held.
During the exercise, several bridges were declared blownby the enemy and under my supervision, we launched a medium cadre bridge that took heavy tanks across the bridge, hence I earned commendation by the Chief. In spite of all these, I missed my promotion. But what did I do, I went to the Military Secretary and asked, I said sir, was there anything I was not doing right? He said no, I should go back and just remain steadfast. The following year, I got promoted to Colonel. Today, I am Chief of Army Staff.

My experience is not unique. General Samuel Victor Leo Malu who later became Chief of Army Staff had missed promotion once. General Luka N Yusuf who later became Chief of Army Staff had missed promotion.

I want to draw your attention that military serviceis a service of sacrifice. I would have wished that every Nigerian had the opportunity to render one year selfless military service to his nation so that we begin to appreciate our job better. If an officer misses a promotion and he believes that is the end of the world, would such an officer give his life in the defence of his country? The army is not another civil service. This is the point I want to make.

Postings
Now, talking about postings, at the rank of Major General, having been a GOC 81 division, having served as theChief of Standards and Evaluation, I was posted as Director in Defence Headquarters. I was among the first to have such posting and accidentally my boss wasan officer running lower seniority as myself. In other words, that position and posting was odd.

What did I do? I came to the Chief of Army Staff and beinga Major General, I saluted. I said sir; but before I could say more, he said, you must have seen your posting; I needed a capable army officer/engineer to hold the office of director engineering services at DHQ. For one year, I served under somebody that was my junior. I did not go to my governor, I did not talk to the media, I did not talk to anybody and today I am the Chief of Army Staff.

(CONTINUED BELOW)

2 Likes

Re: Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! by Nobody: 11:12am On Feb 16, 2013
If any officer or soldier complains to a civilian that he was not promoted, such a human being is not supposed to be in service. This is a service of sacrifice.

How many soldiers have we lost in the last few years of counter terrorism? If I ask members of the press to tell me the General we lost as a result of bombing in Jaji, I am sure many of you will not know.
But many of you will readily remember that I redeployed one Major General Isah.

Our service is a service of sacrifice, which is the uniqueness of the military. There are so many writings about the military. There is one by Charles De Gaul wherehe says that the ‘Military is not a democratic outfit’. He said in the military, you do not decide the dress to wear,if you want to marry, you take permission from your commander. That is military service.

Postings could be likened to selecting your ‘first eleven’ and you don’t take an officer that is disloyal or who has shown that he lacks the comportment of a General and give him the position, just to satisfy spread.

Coincidentally, for the first time in our postings, we are able to have a GOC representing each zone of the country. And it is also after we have done this, that these attacks are coming.

Terrorism
I want to assure you that we remain undaunted about counter terrorism efforts andI want to thank you and assure you that the army will not rest on its oars as long as any part of this country is undergoing issues of insecurity.

On General Isah
Maj. Gen. Isah was himself the military secretary of the Nigerian Army. He gave notices of retirement to officers, he prepared memorandum that sought their retirement at the army council, he signed retirement letters, those ones are in the record and he cannot deny. All he did was to apply for extension, in which he said that he had so much to contribute towards counter terrorism if his service was extended.

But it is the COAS or the Service Chiefs that have the prerogative to recommend an officer for extension. It is not for an officer to apply for such. I believe that has answered the issues on retirement.

Incidentally, all these campaign which he spearheaded started with his redeployment initially. Based on the board of inquiry findings; we asked military police to investigate further.

And I can tell you that the report available to me showed he did not take an action expected of an officer in his position.
The same intelligence report that got to him about the impending attack on Jaji alsogot to the GOC 1 division a day before the attack. The GOC 1 division had to cancel his engagements which included coming to Asaba forour annual conference.

Isah did not give instruction to subordinates, he simply traveled for the conference and when I saw him, I asked what are you doing here when your house is on fire.

Investigation is still on to determine whether his attitude was just born out of carelessness or whether there was much more issues to it. It is important for you to know this because, there was a situation and we have an idea of those involved. One of them went to the National Assembly to make complaints and he was told to put his complaints into writing but he never went down there again.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/02/allegations-of-ethnic-considerations-in-retirements-postings-re-deployment-recruitment-in-the-army-ihejirika-bares-it-all/
Re: Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! by Nobody: 11:20am On Feb 16, 2013
Frontpage pls#first to co,mment
Re: Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! by Nobody: 11:24am On Feb 16, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Ever since the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. General Onyeabor Azubuike Ihejirika, ordered the redeployment of Major General Mohammed Isah, the former Commander, Infantry Corps and Centre, co-located with the Armed Forces Command and Staff College, Jaji that was bombed by Boko Haram terrorists, last November, the COAS has known no peace.

With the recent postings and retirements that followed last December, a section of the country allegedly instigated by some officers, have been waging media war against Ihejirika accusing him of ethnic and religious considerations in the running of the Nigerian army.

In this interview, General Ihejirika bares it all, saying the Army under his watch has been fair to all geo-political zones in the country and warning that the Nigerian army should notbe politicized.

Ihejirika- I want to remark that the press is considered very vital in all our activities particularly the fight against terrorism. But as you are aware, contribution of the press could be positive, it could also be negative.
It is for the Nigerian army to have greater interaction withcivil societies, to bring its practices in line with global best practices that I established the department of civil military affairs as part of my transformation efforts. Before now, we did not have such departments in existence.

I believe that every well meaning member of the press owes it a duty to contribute all the time towards nation building.
The type of allegations described by the Public Relations department (Allegation of lopsided Recruitment, Promotion, Retirement and Deployment in the Nigerian Army), are not unfamiliar to the Nigerian army.

Every nation has its faultlines and I can say it is these faultlines that are being exploited by faceless groups to cause more problems for Nigerians. I believe they would have identified the fact that the Nigerian army isone of the few institutions that will stand in defence of this country, come rain, and come sunshine. Why do I say this?

When we commenced operations in Maiduguri against the Book Haram terrorist’s sect, text messages were sent round, to the fact that the Chief of Army Staff has deployed a General of ‘Igbo’ extraction to avenge the killing of Igbos during the civil war.

But it is on record that the Boko Haram sect claimed that they were fighting to avenge the death of their leader and other members killed in various encounters. From the operations that are taking place, are people being killed as alleged?
Even though the operation being conducted is coordinated by leadership of the Defence Headquarters, but it being interpreted wrongly to whip up sentiments by making reference to civil war fought and resolved many years ago; in fact, before some of them were born.

This is also important because when they choose to orchestrate the appointment of some Igbo officers, they did not bother to talk of appointment generally. I believe that most of you here have come to find out whether the army is still intact or whether there is turmoil in the army as alleged by the faceless groups.

You have seen the hierarchy of the army and you can speak for yourself that the army is intact. I believe that while the officers were being introduced, the crème de la crème of the army, what I call the chief executives of the Nigerian army, I believe some of you were taking notes, on the number of Igbo officers.

Some of my officers have told me on a lighter note that they would start answering Igbo names soon, so that they become properly Igbonized as alleged.

I had a lot of experience before becoming the Chief of Army Staff. I happened to have served in the military secretary department; the department that handles promotions, postings and retirements. One of the things we sought to achieve while in that department was to ensure that promotions in the army are made very objective and they are merit based.

As a senior officer, I have had the privilege to handle internal security operations, and I have worked well with the press. Each time there was crisis in any part of the country, we know the consequences of such crisis. Before you know it, rumours will be awash that people of certain extraction and religion have been killed and killing will start at the other end.

These are issues we must overcome. The Nigerian armyhas come a long way. So when I said my vision for theNigerian army is to turn the Nigerian Army into a force better able to meet contemporary challenges; I also took the Nigerian faultlines into consideration. I want to assure you that the Nigerian army of today is notthe type that dragged the nation into war in the 1960s?

You might wish to know that in my deployments, I have General Gani Wahab in 1 division, Kaduna; I have Brigadier General M. Ibrahim in 1 Brigade and Brigadier General Iliya Abbah in 2 Brigade. And I sit here, I’m very comfortable with that posting.

(CONTINUED BELOW)

Hmmm, by saying this, I believe the COAS, many igbos do not accept what happened in the 60s was their fault but the Gen just did. Good-luck on ur national assignment sir.
Re: Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! by Nobody: 11:32am On Feb 16, 2013
By the way, shouldn't promotion of soldiers and officers be based on some certain guidelines and years put into it(for each rank) ??

That being said, they should be an independent body affiliated with the ministry of defence and senate committee on defence affairs combined, that will perform the jurisdiction of promoting mid-level and senior officers.

Especially the rank of colonel and above. This will also enable men who hold these ranks to be of true and thoroughly disciplined character.

I think it will go a long way of weeding out nepotism,ethnic and religious sentiments. undecided

#just saying

1 Like

Re: Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! by kettykings: 11:53am On Feb 16, 2013
Legit1: By the way, shouldn't promotion of soldiers and officers be based on some certain guidelines and years put into it(for each rank) ??

That being said, they should be an independent body affiliated with the ministry of defence and senate committee on defence affairs combined, that will perform the jurisdiction of promoting mid-level and senior officers.

Especially the rank of colonel and above. This will also enable men who hold this rank to be of true and thoroughly disciplined character.

I think it will go a long way of weeding out nepotism,ethnic and religious sentiments. undecided

#just saying

This is a great Suggestion if only it will be applied in the Nigerian Customs, Nigerian Air force and Nigerian Navy, Any thing short of this is the usual Hypocrisy of Nigerians.

Ever wondered how only a section of the Country has been in charge of one Arm of the Government the Judiciary and cry foul only when another section of the Country takes charge on Immigration or the Army and they still cry further when soldiers from their regions are disciplined or retired when they are due

3 Likes

Re: Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! by Nobody: 12:12pm On Feb 16, 2013
Maj. Gen. Isah was himself the military secretary of the Nigerian Army. He gave notices of retirement to officers, he prepared memorandum that sought their retirement at the army council, he signed retirement letters, those ones are in the record and he cannot deny. All he did was to apply for extension, in which he said that he had so much to contribute towards counter terrorism if his service was extended.

But it is the COAS or the Service Chiefs that have the prerogative to recommend an officer for extension. It is not for an officer to apply for such. I believe that has answered the issues on retirement.

Incidentally, all these campaign which he spearheaded started with his redeployment initially. Based on the board of inquiry findings; we asked military police to investigate further.

Some events only assume a proper context in the fullness of time...
Re: Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! by Nobody: 12:18pm On Feb 16, 2013
Bunch of lies.Instead of him to address the allegations of nepotism against him,he's busy fooling around like an assshole.we all know why your sister in immigration Rosemary UZOMA Was sacked after all the scandals against her.

What now makes you think you are better than her when we all know that being the first Army chief in a long time coupled with the marginalization of the ibos occasioned by the long years of northern domination of the military and Nigeria politics,the only thing certain is for you to fix your ibo brothers to fill in the marginalized space.however,coming out to preach to Nigerians on how you are a good army chief even in the face of evidence against you is totally bullshiit.Admit your wrong and stop lying even the same thing is happening in SSS and other organizations where the SS and the SE occupy !

1 Like

Re: Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! by solomon111(m): 12:54pm On Feb 16, 2013
~Bluetooth:
Bunch of lies.Instead of him to address the allegations of nepotism against him,he's busy fooling around like an assshole.we all know why your sister in immigration Rosemary UZOMA Was sacked after all the scandals against her.

What now makes you think you are better than her when we all know that being the first Army chief in a long time coupled with the marginalization of the ibos occasioned by the long years of northern domination of the military and Nigeria politics,the only thing certain is for you to fix your ibo brothers to fill in the marginalized space.however,coming out to preach to Nigerians on how you are a good army chief even in the face of evidence against you is totally bullshiit.Admit your wrong and stop lying even the same thing is happening in SSS and other organizations where the SS and the SE occupy !
you are a slowpoke and a disgrace.
Your kinsmen should be ashamed of you.

11 Likes

Re: Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! by otokx(m): 1:58pm On Feb 16, 2013
A nice response by the COAS.
Re: Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! by Noiseless2: 2:28pm On Feb 16, 2013
The army chief is actually trying to make it clearer to people with thinking ways like you do, that the country's army of these days is not that of 1960s where someone like ISA,GUMI or EL-RUFIA and other fraudlent activists like TUKUMBO AREMU ODUA and their followers would come out screaming "IGBO IGBO" or any other biggotry comment such as that and the army will jump to war go killing people.
Why is it so difficult for you to understand?

Typical nigerian way of reading and understand.
DivideUs:

Hmmm, by saying this, I believe the COAS, many igbos do not accept what happened in the 60s was their fault but the Gen just did. Good-luck on ur national assignment sir.

2 Likes

Re: Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! by Boss13: 2:36pm On Feb 16, 2013
I believe this issue of promotion going on in the Nigerian Army is a disgrace to the Army. The army is a respected institution and its modus operandi is not for the knowledge of civilians. Those perpetrating these actions should be edge out of the army. They are not worthy to be officers and defenders of our country sovereignty. They are heating up the polity and making a nuisance of themselves based on selfish grounds.

1 Like

Re: Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! by Dede1(m): 2:36pm On Feb 16, 2013
@OP

Igbo people do not listen at all. How could this Ihiejirika guy play Ironsi all over again? The entire 82nd Division at Enugu and it Brigades are commanded by people who would ordinarily want Ndigbo destroyed. It is unacceptable that entire Brigades in southeastern region of Nigeria of Nigeria are commended by soldiers of northern region origin. The nonsensical deployment in the 82nd Dvision at Enugu is in contrast to 1st Division at Kaduna where the GOC and, at least, two Brigade commanders maybe soldiers from northern region of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! by kettykings: 2:48pm On Feb 16, 2013
Dede1: @OP

Igbo people do not listen at all. How could this Ihiejirika guy play Ironsi all over again? The entire 82nd Division at Enugu and it Brigades are commanded by people who would ordinarily want Ndigbo destroyed. It is unacceptable that entire Brigades in southeastern region of Nigeria of Nigeria are commended by soldiers of northern region origin. The nonsensical deployment in the 82nd Dvision at Enugu is in contrast to 1st Division at Kaduna where the GOC and, at least, two Brigade commanders maybe soldiers from northern region of Nigeria.

This might even be the original intent behind the campaign of calumny to hood wink the COAS to foolishly put the Hausa /Fulani in a position to effect maximum damage , since the Boko Haram option has backfired and 2015 is less than 22 months away. The COAS should just make sure his Loyalist are armed 24/7 and have the contingency to react to any misadventure of the Northerners within seconds, i still believe this is not the Army of the 60s where some MUMU igbo soldiers were brain washed into false patriotism and where slaughtered by NCOs from the North.

1 Like

Re: Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! by nuclearboy(m): 3:08pm On Feb 16, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Bros - I am as yoruba as any human alive today and I totally disagree with you about this issue - it MAY be happening in the other services but how can anyone argue against what is above? Out of 25 promoted to the realistic "top" rank, 3 came from one state! 6 divisions and each geo-zone represented! I was brought up in the military and loyalty is more important than seniority!

And if Isah truly heard before people under his command were bombed, he ought be court-martialled, not just retired.

And those screaming that the eastern brigades are commanded by northerners, na wa O - why do people see everything with tribal lens? You are pleased Ihejerika is COAS yet would also wish igbo commanders only for the east? Its the Nigerian Army, not Eastern Army!

Kai, I wonder why we can't see past native language

5 Likes

Re: Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! by nku5: 3:18pm On Feb 16, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Its easy to tell who didn't read the interview and is reciting from his bigot template. Very shameful post even if ppl can't see your face

6 Likes

Re: Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! by Dede1(m): 3:23pm On Feb 16, 2013
kettykings:

This might even be the original intent behind the campaign of calumny to hood wink the COAS to foolishly put the Hausa /Fulani in a position to effect maximum damage , since the Boko Haram option has backfired and 2015 is less than 22 months away. The COAS should just make sure his Loyalist are armed 24/7 and have the contingency to react to any misadventure of the Northerners within seconds, i still believe this is not the Army of the 60s where some MUMU igbo soldiers were brain washed into false patriotism and where slaughtered by NCOs from the North.

I am not comfortable with the diagram of deployment in 82nd Division. Why did the loudmouthed numbskull keep mute on the fact that all brigade commanders in southeastern region are soldiers from northern region? Please anybody who had ears of Lt Gen Ihiejirika should call his attention to the “lack of federal character” in 82nd Division.

2 Likes

Re: Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! by Dede1(m): 3:29pm On Feb 16, 2013
nuclearboy:

Bros - I am as yoruba as any human alive today and I totally disagree with you about this issue - it MAY be happening in the other services but how can anyone argue against what is above? Out of 25 promoted to the realistic "top" rank, 3 came from one state! 6 divisions and each geo-zone represented! I was brought up in the military and loyalty is more important than seniority!

And if Isah truly heard before people under his command were bombed, he ought be court-martialled, not just retired.

And those screaming that the eastern brigades are commanded by northerners, na wa O - why do people see everything with tribal lens? You are pleased Ihejerika is COAS yet would also wish igbo commanders only for the east? Its the Nigerian Army, not Eastern Army!

Kai, I wonder why we can't see past native language

I want you to lecture those who thought and believed that January 15, 1966 coup plotters were Igbo soldiers instead of Nigerian soldiers. What about federal character or does it not applicable to 82nd Division of Nigerian army?
Re: Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! by nuclearboy(m): 3:51pm On Feb 16, 2013
Dede1:

I want you to lecture those who thought and believed that January 15, 1966 coup plotters were Igbo soldiers instead of Nigerian soldiers. What about federal character or does it not applicable to 82nd Division of Nigerian army?

Dude, go beat Gen Ihejerika to death for putting his money where his mouth is! His interview states he is de-tribalized and applies merit and in keeping with the image of a Nigerian soldier (not a biafran or tribalist), he deployed those he felt were best, based on the same merit you applaud when he appointed the right man (an Igbo) to be the first easterner to command NDA!

Some of us are past the tribal insanity that reigns on NL and are like Ihejerija, Nigerians!

The fact (yes its a fact) that some illiterate ignorant northerners saw the 1966 putsch as Igbo does not compel that I and other reasoning people become like people many derisively call Abokis, except of course you are stating that we too should be mental Abokis! If we truly are better than such, we will show it now!
Re: Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! by Nobody: 4:14pm On Feb 16, 2013
When actually will this so called nation crack and split into pieces? Everybody always cry of marginalization either by ethnicity or by religion, I remember when one Gen.(not sure of his rank) Maina was posted as the head of STF in Plateau, all hell was let loose by the 'xtians' claiming the guy is biased against them as he was a muslim, but the guy did excellent job on the Plateau!

1 Like

Re: Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! by DuduNegro: 4:39pm On Feb 16, 2013
solomon111: you are a slowpoke and a disgrace.
Your kinsmen should be ashamed of you.

actually, we are proud of him!

well done bluetooth!!

3 Likes

Re: Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! by DuduNegro: 4:41pm On Feb 16, 2013
@topic.....chief of army staff spits fire!

where is the fire
Re: Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! by debosky(m): 6:16pm On Feb 16, 2013
Excellent response from the COAS - drawing not only on his own experience, but that of others. It appears he has a deep understanding of what it means to run a military institution beyond the insidious tribal undertones that exist in Nigeria.

He will go far and continue to earn the respect of the entire army if he continues in this fashion. No doubt people will try to read tribal meanings into each and every action, but I hope he remains focused on his objectives of keeping the military professional and disciplined.

1 Like

Re: Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! by kentoplash(m): 7:18pm On Feb 16, 2013
~Bluetooth:

You are just a complete capital letter FOOL.

1 Like

Re: Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! by kross01(m): 9:46pm On Feb 16, 2013
~Bluetooth:

For a long time 've really tried to keep away from the tribal & religous wars being perpetuated on this forum but this ur senseless post was the last straw that broke that silence for me. As daft as u are, u couldnt react to the verifiable facts that the COAS used in answering the issues at hand, including 3 people being promoted from same state not even geopolitical zone(i guess federal character should be raised as long as it benefits only some 'born to rule few') nor did u read wen he was made to serve under his junior(that one is also acceptable as long as he is an igbo, i suppose), what the hell is wrong with ur grey matter or hve they all bn usurped by ur bigotry? Plz i'ld rather u act maturedly when issues like this is being raised & don't go around posting jst for the sake of having access to the internet. Thanks
Re: Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! by pazienza(m): 10:34pm On Feb 16, 2013
DivideUs:

Do you have a brain at all?
Re: Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! by pazienza(m): 10:43pm On Feb 16, 2013
Nawao! Ihejirika,don't play another ironsi on us. History will not be fair to you,if you do.
How on earth can we have awusa people commanding enugu,owerri and ph. Nnaa ijikwa anya gi.

1 Like

Re: Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! by Dede1(m): 10:55pm On Feb 16, 2013
pazienza: Nawao! Ihejirika,don't play another ironsi on us. History will not be fair to you,if you do.
How on earth can we have awusa people commanding enugu,owerri and ph. Nnaa ijikwa anya gi.

Bros, I hate when Ndigbo try to play fair in Nigeria. Nigeria is an embodiment of unfairness. I guess the Brigades in northern and western regions must have, at least, a commander who hails from the region. It is unacceptable that entire Brigades in eastern region none is commanded by a soldier from the area.
Re: Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! by Dibiachukwu: 11:04pm On Feb 16, 2013
After this revelation. It is time for Igbo senators to hold their own secret meeting. So they have put boko haram around all Igbo states. Anyway we would handle boko haram wether it comes as army or as civilian. Ihejirika really?
Re: Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! by ebucha: 11:10pm On Feb 16, 2013
Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! Him be dragon?
Re: Chief Of Army Staff, Azubuike Ihejirika, Spits Fire! by Nobody: 2:04am On Feb 17, 2013
~Bluetooth:

It is a huge blessing that dirty malnourished scarred face stench like you and others from the SW are on nairaland. Your kind will propel GEJ to 2019 and beyond as president. When you finish packaging your amala APC eh, come and win in 2015 lets see. GEJ for 2019 - 2022 as well.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

3 Reasons Why Linda Ikeji May Not Bounce Back Too Easily. / Back In The Days: PEJ Graduating From School (Picture) / Tonyebarcanista's Brilliant Article Featured On Naij.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.