Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,152 members, 7,780,106 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:42 AM

Please Advise On State Of A Loved Ones Corpse - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Please Advise On State Of A Loved Ones Corpse (590 Views)

Lagos Hospital Allowed Baby To Die, Dumps Corpse Near Waste Bin - Family Member / Orthopaedic Hospital Seizes Corpse, Islamic Family Kicks (photo) / Ebola Scare In Anambra After A Corpse Was Brought From Liberia To The State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Advise On State Of A Loved Ones Corpse by overboard(m): 4:40pm On Feb 16, 2013
A close family member died i November '12. I transferred the body from one town to the other after a week as the original morgue was rumored to have an incompetent mortician. Also, because the body would eventually be buried in the town it was transferred to.
When I got to the new morgue, I paid for full embalment again as the mortician there claimed the first guy did a shoddy job. An aunt vouched for this new mortician saying he had handled her grandma... She also assured me over time that the body was in perfect shape on several checks.
Come February 2013, the day of lying in state. A dead person that had his eyes closed when I transferred the body in November had his eyes open, his lips seemed charred or dried, greatly emaciated and the complexion, stark black!!! Is this normal?
Could it be the eyes were plucked out and used as this was an eminent personality or just not taken care of well. Asides the annoying cotton wool in the nose, is that of the mouth necessary too? Mind you, the mouth was closed when I deposited the body.
Please help before I insist an investigation is launched as this may entail a body buried a week ago to be exhumed.
Thanks.
Re: Please Advise On State Of A Loved Ones Corpse by dominique(f): 6:30pm On Feb 16, 2013
A person has been dead for about 3 months and you expect the corpse to be in the same condition? Soft tisues like the eyes are usually the first to decompose. the black colour of the corpse is as a ressult of rigor mortis which starts to set in immediately after death (its purple in the cae of whites). I don't know what you intend to get by exhuming the corpse but if that's what will make you feel better, its kuku your money.
Re: Please Advise On State Of A Loved Ones Corpse by overboard(m): 9:10pm On Feb 16, 2013
@dominique Thanks But please help me more here, were the eyes supposed to be open after 3 months later? Also, after a so-called full embalment, was the condition supposed to be that bad. Please note that other family members (at least 2) observed the same thing and they have very well seen corpses in the past as they are well advanced in age. Could be all ignorance on our part but just saying... I thought I had seen (on TV at least) corpses kept in excess of three months that still look like human beings during burial rites like presidents and all. Your opinion again... Thanks.
Re: Please Advise On State Of A Loved Ones Corpse by dominique(f): 11:41am On Feb 17, 2013
I'm not a medic, I'm afraid I can't go into full details on the anatomy of a corpse. don't know how Nigerian morgues operate but I doubt if a typical one has the facilities to preserve a corpse for up to 3 months. The moment a person dies, the body starts to decompose within hours the colour would have changed. Soft tissues and internal organs are removed cos they decompose fast and can't be preserved within the corpse. When my mum's sister died in '01 by the time they went to retrieve her corpse, her complexion was already ashen. That's within 24 hours of death o, not to talk of 3 months. Even if the morgue runs a 24 hour freezer service, can't maintain the copse in its original form. Just take heart and let the departed rest in peace.
Re: Please Advise On State Of A Loved Ones Corpse by overboard(m): 3:48pm On Feb 17, 2013
Thanks @dominique. I just felt that there may have been gross incompetence at play if not foul play as well. I'm considering dropping the whole proposed inquisition and let the dead sleep as you said. One last thing though, there were at least 3 or so other bodies (among a host of others) in the morgue when ours was deposited and my uncle and I noticed no such deterioration on those. Oh well...

(1) (Reply)

Coke, Pepsi Used As Agricultural Pesticides By India Farmers / Most Inspirational Story 2012 / Important Health Tips

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.