Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,759 members, 7,806,077 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:05 AM

NHS Hires People Whose Job Is To Get Rid Of Non-conformists Or Whistleblowers - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / NHS Hires People Whose Job Is To Get Rid Of Non-conformists Or Whistleblowers (719 Views)

Nike Hires Nigerian Artist Laolu Sebanjo To Create Air Max Inspired Art In NY / Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). / "JUJU" Assistance To Get a Job (is It Possible?) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

NHS Hires People Whose Job Is To Get Rid Of Non-conformists Or Whistleblowers by Ilekokonit: 1:16am On Feb 17, 2013
No wonder I couldn't stand working there.

NHS chief 'stopped from speaking on patient safety' By Andrew Hosken - BBC News

A health service manager claims he was gagged by the NHS from speaking out about his dismissal and his concerns over patient safety.

He States :- "You have to remember that if you work in the NHS and you cross the people in power there will be consequences for you and people are appointed to do specific jobs of getting rid of people. And one thing you must remember that if you're attacking the very top of the NHS the sanctions are pretty dramatic.

"So I spent 20 years in the health service and I'm blacklisted from it. I can't work in the health service again."

Gary Walker said he had no choice but to sign an agreement linked to a confidentiality clause in April 2011.

He said it was a case of either signing the so-called "super gag" agreement or losing his house.

Nearly two years on, Mr Walker is the first former NHS employee to break the gag.

He has decided to speak out about his concerns over patient safety and the circumstances leading to his sacking from the NHS.

It comes a week after Robert Francis QC, who led the public inquiry into the Stafford hospital scandal, demanded that such agreements should be "banned".

He said: "I was in danger of losing my house - I have children to support. And one thing you must remember that if you're attacking the very top of the NHS the sanctions are pretty dramatic.

"So I spent 20 years in the health service and I'm blacklisted from it. I can't work in the health service again."

In early 2010, Mr Walker was sacked as chief executive of the United Lincolnshire Hospitals Trust (ULHT) on grounds of "gross professional misconduct" for allegedly swearing in a meeting.

He and former trust board members claim the real reason lay in his refusal to hit Whitehall targets for non-emergency patients.

Mr Walker says demand for emergency hospital beds in 2008 and 2009 became so acute that he felt he had no other choice than to abandon the 18-week Whitehall target for non-emergency cases.

He said: "It's a simple decision: you have emergency care or you have care that could wait.

"It's not nice to wait but it could wait and therefore we chose as a board - it was not just me - that we should take priority - that emergency care should take priority."

But he claims that his immediate bosses at the East Midlands Strategic Health Authority (SHA) instructed him to hit the targets "whatever the demand" and then ordered him to resign when he refused to back down.

Mr Walker said the Trust board supported his stand and refusal to back down. Under a replacement chairman, Mr Walker was dismissed in 2010 for swearing in meetings.

Mr Walker and his supporters described this as a "trumped up charge".

"You have to remember that if you work in the NHS and you cross the people in power there will be consequences for you and people are appointed to do specific jobs of getting rid of people.

"I think if you consider that had they got a case against me that was reasonable and it was gross misconduct then why would they spend so much time, effort and money to silence me?"

Mr Walker claimed wrongful dismissal, but his employers, the NHS Trust, agreed a compromise agreement with Mr Walker in April 2011.

The Department of Health is cited in the agreement as an "associated person" - one of the NHS bodies to benefit from the agreement and its confidentiality clauses prohibiting Mr Walker from disclosing his £500,000 pay-off or even the existence of the agreement itself.

Mr Walker added: "This is wider than just unlawful compromise agreements. This is a culture that's driven by the top. This is a culture of fear, a culture of oppression - of information that's either going to embarrass a civil servant or embarrass a minister.

"These are big problems. And if you consider that the people that have been running the NHS have created that culture of fear, they need either to be held to account or new people need to be brought in to change that culture."

Mr Walker claimed the use of the super gag is widespread within the NHS.

He said: "I don't see whistle-blowers being protected in the NHS at all. I know dozens of people who I can't even talk to you about who because they are gagged, who are senior people - doctors, consultants - who cannot speak out.

"So I don't believe that there's protection in the health service. I believe that there are pockets where whistleblowers are welcome but on the whole if you're going to bring bad news you are going to be asked to step aside."

Following the recording of his interview with the Today programme, Mr Walker received a letter from solicitors representing the United Lincolnshire Hospitals Trust.

The note from lawyers DAC Beachcroft said: "Having seen an outline of the issues, we have advised our client that if you have provided an interview or should this interview proceed you will be in clear breach of the agreement and as a result the Trust would be entitled to recover from you the payments made under the agreement and any costs including its legal costs."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21444058

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

gradexchange. calling for Business development manager's interview wit dragnet / Salary Scale / Banke Adeyemo Shares Her Views And Experiences Studying And Practicing Law...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.